On the 67th anniversary of Operation Overlord, “Surviving D-Day” (8 p.m., Discovery) recalls the Allied invasion of the Normandy coast that changed the course of the World War II.
“D-Day” focuses on the American effort to secure Omaha beach and dissects the planning for the invasion in minute detail. We learn of strange new experimental weapons, like floating tanks, as well as old-combat standbys, including message-bearing pigeons. Like most war documentaries, “D-Day” puts great emphasis on strategy, deft leadership and individual bravery. But in our own age’s passion for forensic research, it also bores into the small facets of a soldier’s actions and explains how the fate of a man or a company of men may have hinged on the reading of a weather report, the shape of a belt buckle or the ingredients of their breakfast on the morning of June 6, 1944.
• What kind of reality television wedding special can top the wedding of a reality television star? “Niecy Nash’s Wedding Bash” (7 p.m., TLC) chronicles the star’s efforts to find the right dress and stay within her budget.
• More than a week before the Tony Award ceremonies, the Drama Desk Awards (8 p.m., Ovation) celebrates the best on Broadway. Harvey Fierstein hosts.
Tonight’s other highlights
• Game 2 of the NHL Stanley Cup Finals (7 p.m., NBC).
• Monstrous odds on “Doctor Who” (8 p.m., BBC America).
• Brian Smith (“Stargate Universe”) stars in the 2011 shocker and video game product placement “Red Faction: Origins” (8 p.m., SyFy).
• Scheduled on “48 Hours Mystery” (9 p.m., CBS): A teen’s parents die one year apart.
• Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Rob Lowe and Aloe Blacc appear on “Graham Norton Show” (9 p.m., BBC America).
• Scarlett Johansson hosts “Saturday Night Live” (10:30 p.m., NBC), featuring musical guest Arcade Fire.
An eager spy must prove his mettle on “CHAOS” (7 p.m., CBS) ... On back-to-back episodes of “Cops” (Fox), rocks thrown (7 p.m.), people stoned (7:30 p.m.) ... Imminent danger on “NCIS: Los Angeles” (8 p.m., CBS) ... John Walsh hosts “America’s Most Wanted” (8 p.m., Fox) ... Blubbering on “Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition” (9 p.m., ABC).