Archive for Friday, January 21, 2011

Crews finish plowing Lawrence residential streets; More snow expected Saturday and Sunday

A videographer's walk through downtown Lawrence Wednesday afternoon captured the sights and scenes of people in a winter snow storm.

January 21, 2011

Another in a series of upper level storm systems will move across the area Saturday night and Sunday. Douglas County could see an additional 2-4 inches of snowfall.

City Hall officials are now reporting that all residential streets in the city have been plowed.

The city manager’s office reported that city crews finished the last of the residential streets about 10 a.m. on Friday. Now crews are out doing clean-up work and preparing for the possibility of light snow later today.

Residents who see an area than needs extra snow plow attention can call the city at 832-3031.

The deadline for property owners to clear snow off public sidewalks is still 8 a.m. Saturday, though overtime concerns may keep the city from enforcing the snow shoveling ordinance until Monday morning. You can report any snow-covered sidewalks by calling (785) 832-7700 or by filing a complaint on the city's website.

In addition to Friday's afternoon flurries, the forecast calls for 2-4 more inches of snow Saturday night into Sunday with highs in the low 20s.

You can be the first to know about severe weather and school closings by signing up for LJWorld.com's text and email alerts.

Comments

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 3 months ago

Pretty sure a plow swiped the driver's side door on my sister's car when it went past, but we didn't see it happen so we can't prove it, unfortunately. There was damage to the vehicle but no tire tracks closer than 2 feet from her car, which means it had to have been an attachment of some sort that caused the damage.

ToriFreak13 3 years, 3 months ago

There was no need to plow our street twice and over 24 hours after the snow. We were all getting around on our street fine until the city finally made their rounds. No one on our street was able to get out of their driveway. Most of our neighborhood is made up of elderly including my neighbors that are over 90. I shovel mine and their driveway every snow. It makes little difference when the City hits our street 1-2 days after a snow. Then to hit our street twice and leave piles of ice chunks too heavy and solid to remove with a simple shovel. What is the point of the service if we cannot get out of our driveways? I'm sure a law is being broken...just need to figure out which one is worth pursuing.

lsense 3 years, 3 months ago

Why can't they clear the residential streets without piling snow in someone's driveway? I'm not talking about the windrow of snow left behind after the plow goes by. They piled up all of the snow from my court onto half my driveway. I called and they came back out, but didn't even touch the 6' high by 10' wide pile in my driveway. They just plowed a small amount more on the street and left. They did the same thing last year. Is it really that hard to figure out where someone's driveway is?

Gootsie 3 years, 3 months ago

We weren't last on the list. Sorry. Re-read comment but not well enough.

Gootsie 3 years, 3 months ago

We were last on the list I guess but they did get here about 7:30 Thursday and I thank them for that. I just wish there was something we could do about the fact that we had our sidewalks and driveway done at 6 a.m. and yes, they plowed our street and covered the end of the driveway. It was deep and heavy so I couldn't get clear that out. I wish the person in the smaller tractor with the front loader (? sorry, not a farm girl) who followed the big plow (again not know what it is called) would take 30 seconds and clean out the driveways that are already plowed. That would be a nice touch.

Number_1_Grandma 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes, definitely a better job on the streets. Thanks city crews!

justtired 3 years, 3 months ago

A lot better than Topeka..some of their main roads are still bad.

goodcountrypeople 3 years, 3 months ago

Good job! Pretty efficient this time around!

Pete_Schweti 3 years, 3 months ago

I'd be happy to go without if it means no tax increase to pay for it.

Richard Payton 3 years, 3 months ago

The City of Olathe has GPS on the snowplows so citizens can track the snowplows progress. The updates are about 1 minute apart.