Archive for Friday, January 21, 2011

Crews finish plowing Lawrence residential streets; More snow expected Saturday and Sunday

A videographer's walk through downtown Lawrence Wednesday afternoon captured the sights and scenes of people in a winter snow storm.

January 21, 2011

Another in a series of upper level storm systems will move across the area Saturday night and Sunday. Douglas County could see an additional 2-4 inches of snowfall.

City Hall officials are now reporting that all residential streets in the city have been plowed.

The city manager’s office reported that city crews finished the last of the residential streets about 10 a.m. on Friday. Now crews are out doing clean-up work and preparing for the possibility of light snow later today.

Residents who see an area than needs extra snow plow attention can call the city at 832-3031.

The deadline for property owners to clear snow off public sidewalks is still 8 a.m. Saturday, though overtime concerns may keep the city from enforcing the snow shoveling ordinance until Monday morning. You can report any snow-covered sidewalks by calling (785) 832-7700 or by filing a complaint on the city's website.

In addition to Friday's afternoon flurries, the forecast calls for 2-4 more inches of snow Saturday night into Sunday with highs in the low 20s.

You can be the first to know about severe weather and school closings by signing up for LJWorld.com's text and email alerts.

Comments

Richard Payton 3 years, 8 months ago

The City of Olathe has GPS on the snowplows so citizens can track the snowplows progress. The updates are about 1 minute apart.

Bob Forer 3 years, 8 months ago

Props to the city crews. Not bad considering we had around six inches of snow on Wednesday evening.

And while I am neither for nor against a similar GPS system here in Lawrence (would depend upon the cost), it sure would be nice to be able to estimate when the plows will be passing my driveway so I can move my car so I don't get plowed in. It was a little work shoveling out this morning,

Nikki May 3 years, 8 months ago

Except, I saw a few people saying that it counts it as a pass if they drive through, whether the plow is up or down. Obviously, I live in Lawrence, so I don't have first hand knowledge, but I have heard it a lot.

Pete_Schweti 3 years, 8 months ago

I'd be happy to go without if it means no tax increase to pay for it.

goodcountrypeople 3 years, 8 months ago

Good job! Pretty efficient this time around!

justtired 3 years, 8 months ago

A lot better than Topeka..some of their main roads are still bad.

Linda Aikins 3 years, 8 months ago

We were last on the list I guess but they did get here about 7:30 Thursday and I thank them for that. I just wish there was something we could do about the fact that we had our sidewalks and driveway done at 6 a.m. and yes, they plowed our street and covered the end of the driveway. It was deep and heavy so I couldn't get clear that out. I wish the person in the smaller tractor with the front loader (? sorry, not a farm girl) who followed the big plow (again not know what it is called) would take 30 seconds and clean out the driveways that are already plowed. That would be a nice touch.

Linda Aikins 3 years, 8 months ago

We weren't last on the list. Sorry. Re-read comment but not well enough.

grammaddy 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree! After spending four hours yesterday clearing the driveway and sidewalks in front of my house and on both sides (both houses are currently empty) I had the pleasure of spending another hour clearing the end of the driveway so I could get the kids to school. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

ToriFreak13 3 years, 8 months ago

There was no need to plow our street twice and over 24 hours after the snow. We were all getting around on our street fine until the city finally made their rounds. No one on our street was able to get out of their driveway. Most of our neighborhood is made up of elderly including my neighbors that are over 90. I shovel mine and their driveway every snow. It makes little difference when the City hits our street 1-2 days after a snow. Then to hit our street twice and leave piles of ice chunks too heavy and solid to remove with a simple shovel. What is the point of the service if we cannot get out of our driveways? I'm sure a law is being broken...just need to figure out which one is worth pursuing.

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 8 months ago

Pretty sure a plow swiped the driver's side door on my sister's car when it went past, but we didn't see it happen so we can't prove it, unfortunately. There was damage to the vehicle but no tire tracks closer than 2 feet from her car, which means it had to have been an attachment of some sort that caused the damage.