Archive for Friday, January 21, 2011

City’s overtime concerns to affect Lawrence snow shoveling ordinance

A videographer's walk through downtown Lawrence Wednesday afternoon captured the sights and scenes of people in a winter snow storm.

January 21, 2011

There may be one thing City Hall leaders hate worse than covered city sidewalks: overtime.

Under the city’s snow shoveling ordinance, sidewalks covered by Wednesday’s snow storm need to be cleared by 8 a.m. Saturday. But city officials confirmed Thursday that city inspectors won’t be out investigating complaints until 8 a.m. Monday.

City leaders, though, are encouraging residents to shovel this weekend anyway to aid pedestrians who need to use the sidewalks. Residents can submit complaints about unshoveled sidewalks during the weekend, even though inspectors won’t be out. The city’s phone system accepts complaints at 832-7700 or complaints can be made online at lawrenceks.org.

Mother Nature may make the weekend question moot. The ordinance gives property owners 48 hours after the end of a snowfall or ice event to clear their sidewalks. So, if it snows before 8 a.m. on Saturday, residents would be given another 48 hours to comply anyway. But one note of warning: The city interprets the ordinance to mean a measurable snowfall.

“The city does not consider flurries accumulating snowfall,” said Brian Jimenez, the city’s code enforcement manager.

As of Thursday evening, the National Weather Service was predicting a 30 percent chance of light snow this afternoon, and then a 50 percent chance of light snow Saturday night through Sunday.

Comments

commuter 3 years, 2 months ago

I am confused. It sounds to me that the city workers that would have to check the ordinance are hourly employees. Right? Maybe make them salaries employees and give them more work and then you do not have to worry about overtime.

Problem solved. I will send a bill to the city for $250K for the study.

deskboy04 3 years, 2 months ago

The snow ordinance makes Lawrence look silly.

pace 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree, I see no emergency to ticket people on Saturday, Overtime should be reserved for emergencies. I wont those guys and gals to keep an eye out for every dime.

ksrush 3 years, 2 months ago

If the city is really concerned about overtime why not have the salaried city officials start shoveling.

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 2 months ago

Why are not the residential streets plowed to the center as are the downtown streets? The plow has no brain, but the driver of the truck does.

It will take me until Monday to dig out a driveway plowed over. And the snow is going right back onto the street. So if Mr. Jimenez wants to write a ticket, go for it, but bring a shovel along.

The inspector would not have to work overtime if the infinite wisdom of Mr. McCullough and city commissioners and city manager changed Mr. Jimenez hours. LIke maybe 5 hours a day on weekdays and the extra 15 to be worked on weekends.

After all, the trash department is not getting overtime, so why is Neighborhood Lack of Resources being accomodated?

satie 3 years, 2 months ago

Whatever morons voted in this snow removal ordinance can come and shovel the crap off the sidewalk any time they like. It's the city's sidewalk, not mine, and my tax dollars don't pay for squat when it comes to keeping it repaired. I'm beginning to wonder what my taxes DO pay for. The streets in my neighborhood and the entire town look like a slum area with black tar dribbled on the cracks being cheaper than proper replacement of the concrete. That's the way it used to be done before the morons voted in their biggest pink elephant of all, the great "T" system that nobody utilizes. Try counting the number of riders on any bus on any given day. It is disgusting to waste our hard earned money that way. I see the KU buses all over town with more riders.

My husband is ill and I'm not shoveling snow because the jerks at our one horse city hall say to. They vote in some useless, money gobbling venture and stick us with another tax to cover it, not to mention their lazy asses. Frankly, anyone who is out pleasure walking in this weather is asking for a busted ankle and that's their responsibility not mine. And I have never seen children walking to school through snow since we've lived in this neighborhood. I do see them sliding down hills and slamming into trees every now and then. I guess nobody has figured out a way for the rest of us to pay for that, yet. Oh, wait... why not just cut down all the trees? If I only knew who the lousy rats are that sink low enough to report their neighbors, who may or may not be able to afford 75 damned dollars in this crappy economy...... oh goodness gracious! What did she just say? Gracious! My! Heavens to Betsy! Call city hall!

Cuckoo... that's real good description of you. You like shoveling snow for a little gold star and a receipt for 75 bucks from the parasites at city hall? Well, goody good gumdrop. Here's a tip for you... the ratters won't be around until Monday to catch all the non-shovelers of this last snowfall? So, please call 1-800- WAA-AHHH!!

Rustycleats 3 years, 2 months ago

For Sale - One Concrete Sidewalk South Side Of Property. Taking bids here.

sr80 3 years, 2 months ago

till i read my comments i thought i was reasonably sane.now i know otherwise.let the sun shine.

sr80 3 years, 2 months ago

i saw a city inspector using a half day/full pay trash assoc. see pc! to clean off his sidewalk with a city issued snow shovel on friday. this is just the way it is.they have the cards.bombs away!!!!

tomatogrower 3 years, 2 months ago

On Channel 9 news the other night, they suggested shoveling about 10 feet to the left (when you're facing the street) of your drive. Then when the plow comes through they will deposit some in that 10 feet, but be clear when they get to your drive. You still have to shovel a lot, but only 1 time.

Haiku_Cuckoo 3 years, 2 months ago

We need this law because people are no longer courteous neighbors. There was a time when people would keep their sidewalks cleared simply because it was the right thing to do and they didn't want to see pedestrians get hurt. Ordinances must now be created to prompt people to shovel their sidewalks. The complaints on this message list are proof that many people aren't likely to use common sense and shovel the sidewalk unless they face a fine. The complainers justify the need for a sidewalk ordinance. Sad, isn't it?

treyjay 3 years, 2 months ago

"city leaders" hate overtime...but they love their pay checks and perks.

LeBo 3 years, 2 months ago

West Lawrence winy babies!

CorkyHundley 3 years, 2 months ago

The government is going to have to ration sidewalk cleaning. Some will get it, some won't.

The government is in complete control here. Do as they say. Obey them.

On another government front, things will be better once the government takes over your healthcare.

You'll be so healthy that you will be able to clear a sidewalk as fast with a tablespoon as you would with a snow shovel.

ModSquadGal 3 years, 2 months ago

You know, I really don't get this "law." It's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Why do we need sidewalk Nazis? Is this really worth having "inspectors" and fines?

Healthcare_Moocher 3 years, 2 months ago

I am amused at how some entity like the city can pass laws, then choose when to enforce them. You cant have it both ways, either enforce the laws or get rid of them.

dani36921 3 years, 2 months ago

Tax break for those with sidewalks

consumer1 3 years, 2 months ago

I didn't ask for a side walk. Can I take it out? Then the good citiezens who let their dogs crap in my yard will have to walk out in the street.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 2 months ago

This is your civic duty and responsibility as a property owner. (AND landlord!!)

You don't like it; go rent somewhere where the problem will be taken care of for you.

Tax paying pedestrians deserve the convenience and safety of cleared sidewalks. I don't know if this is the case or not, and it should be; if someone is in any way injured on your property because of unshoveled sidewalk, you should be libel for any medical bills.

Get out and take care of it, it's no less work than sitting here chronically whining, moaning and bellyaching. Living in society has it's costs.

nobody1793 3 years, 2 months ago

I hope they introduce an ordinance that you have to towel-dry your sidewalks within 3 hours of a rainstorm. Nothing makes me madder than having the bottom of my shoes be slightly damp.

consumer1 3 years, 2 months ago

beatnik (anonymous) says… we sure had a whole bunch of trucks and people on Mass street between 6th and 11th yesterday morning clearing out the snow. why is it a priority and why does the city clean sidewalks downtown for privately owned commercial property?

I have asked those questions myself...

consumer1 3 years, 2 months ago

what a well thought out concept. Beaver Cleaver for CIty Commission. or Wally Rutherford. How about Barney Fife?

irvan moore 3 years, 2 months ago

Kontum1972 3 years, 2 months ago

yeah i cleaned my drive and side walks off...then the plow comes by and pushes that crap back on my property.....you know it there is a big median in the middle of the street...thats where u should pile the snow..pile to the center Dum A...push it in that direction. I had my drive cleaned off and when i got home it was blocked again so i had to clean it off so i could park my vehicle in my driveway. U all get a big fat "F" ..thx alot..its a good thing i wasnt home when u did that, i probably be in jail now.

northtown 3 years, 2 months ago

Who is on this list,i am disabled,still have to shovel my own-Never heard of the list??How do you get on this list?

cmmcphee 3 years, 2 months ago

I surely hope the officials are not fining the owner who is disabled or has medical issues that do not allow him or her to scoop sidewalks and some probably can not afford to pay someone. Before you fine someone check to see if there is a legimate reason for the sidwalk not being cleared.

Scott Kaiser 3 years, 2 months ago

Quote: "But one note of warning: The city interprets the ordinance to mean a measurable snowfall."

This will cause problems: What is the definition of "measureable: snowfall?" By whose definition? Doesn't the amount accumulated usually differ throughout the city?

grammaddy 3 years, 2 months ago

I got the driveway and the sidewalks done yesterday. Then the city finally makes it down our street and I'm back out clearing the driveway so we can get out this morning. Thanks!