Advertisement

Archive for Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Structure fire displaces residents at Gaslight Village

A mobile home caught on fire Tuesday evening at the Gaslight Village mobile home park in the 1900 block of 31st Street in south Lawrence. The fire was extinguished within an hour but witnesses described the building as badly damaged.

February 8, 2011, 5:24 p.m. Updated February 8, 2011, 7:26 p.m.

Advertisement

Gaslight Village structure fire

Emergency crews Tuesday worked to put out a structure fire at the Gaslight Village off 31st Street. One of the residents, who was working to fix a leaking pipe, talks about what he did and what he saw as the fire broke out.

Smoke billows from a fire at the Gaslight Village, 1900 W. 31st St., on Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2011.

Smoke billows from a fire at the Gaslight Village, 1900 W. 31st St., on Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2011.

Lawrence fire crews battle a structure fire in the Gaslight Village on Tuesday. Six people were displaced from the home.

Lawrence fire crews battle a structure fire in the Gaslight Village on Tuesday. Six people were displaced from the home.

Lawrence firefighters stage outside a trailer fire at the Gaslight Village Tuesday. Six people were displaced after the fire erupted, totaling the trailer.

Lawrence firefighters stage outside a trailer fire at the Gaslight Village Tuesday. Six people were displaced after the fire erupted, totaling the trailer.

1900 W. 31st Street

No one was injured Tuesday afternoon when a fire engulfed a home in the 1900 block of W. 31st Street.

The fire was called in about 5 p.m. and multiple Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical crews worked to contain the flames. Heavy smoke was billowing from the Gaslight Village about 5:15 p.m., leading the Lawrence Police Department to close down 31st Street.

Resident Jason Dye said he had been working to fix a leaking pipe when the fire started. Dye believed the fire was caused by an electrical spark that eventually ignited insulation inside the home. He said he and the other five people living in the home were able to make it out safely.

The Douglas County Chapter of the American Red Cross was on the scene to assist the home owners. Witnesses described the trailer as badly damaged from the fire.

No official cause or damage estimates were immediately available.

Comments

FarneyMac 3 years, 10 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

doc1 3 years, 10 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

Gary Anderson 3 years, 10 months ago

Wow...really? That's what you thought? I'll check in with the office and see what they need in the morning on the way to my teaching position...I live in a nice community here near the fairgrounds. Sorry...no meth around here!

jhawkinsf 3 years, 10 months ago

six people living in a mobile home. glad everyone is o.k.

Amy Heeter 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes because there was no such thing as fire before meth.

commenter 3 years, 10 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.