Archive for Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fort Riley therapist charged with stalking soldier

February 1, 2011

— A therapist who was treating a Fort Riley soldier for post-traumatic stress was accused of stalking her patient in a case that culminated in a high-speed chase after she breeched the gates of the military installation.

Rachelle Santiago, 43, of Manhattan was charged Monday in a federal criminal complaint with stalking the sergeant she was counseling for PTSD and marital issues. She also was charged with attempting to elude a pursuing police vehicle.

Santiago is a clinical social worker who was working as a contract employee at the Irwin Army Community Hospital in Fort Riley.

Her defense attorney, Ron Wurtz, could not be reached for comment Monday because the federal public defender’s office closed early due to inclement weather.

An affidavit filed by Special Agent Lisa Medrano of the 78th Military Police Detachment at the base details her investigation into a complaint filed last week by a sergeant alleging he was harassed, stalked and sexually assaulted by his therapist. The Associated Press is not naming the sergeant because he is the alleged victim of sexual abuse.

The sergeant told investigators that his counseling sessions began in December, with the first sessions going well. But during a Jan. 22 encounter, Santiago allegedly groped him and told him she wanted to have sex with him. The sergeant said he did not reciprocate the fondling and left.

The following day he received 15 text messages and missed calls on his phone, including a photo of a pink lingerie. He texted his therapist to stop sending him messages and to stop calling him. But that only generated more messages, according to the affidavit.

On Jan 23, the sergeant and his wife found footprints in the snow leading to his door after someone rang the doorbell and left. A car matching the description of the therapist’s car was spotted adjacent to their home.

The investigator’s affidavit said the sergeant said he was becoming more alarmed with the situation, feeling as though he was losing his sense of security in his home and for his family. He said he felt “like he did during his deployment, edgy with a need for a heightened sense of security to protect his home and his family.”

He asked his therapist to meet him at the Burger King Restaurant to ask her to stop calling, texting and harassing him. She gave him a white envelope with the words, “My Master” written on the front. He returned it without opening it. Santiago removed her wedding ring and allegedly told the sergeant was now “her man,” the affidavit said.

On Jan. 24, the sergeant confided in a fellow soldier and was advised to report the matter. On the way home, the sergeant and his wife saw the therapist sitting in the car outside their home. The sergeant told investigators he was scared for his family because the therapist had threatened to go to the Child Development Center attended by his children or to his wife’s workplace and hurt them if he did not come see her.

The text messages became increasingly threatening: “I don’t want to hurt you, you are hurting me,” “I will eat your lunch . the only way you can protect your boys,” “You come talk to me or I will jack your world 6 ways to Sunday and don’t doubt my ability to do this,” “You want a crazy bitch, I will be your crazy bitch.”

On Jan. 25, Santiago was issued a notice barring her from entering the Ft. Riley military installation. But later that same day she tried to get in and was issued a citation for criminal trespass, according to the affidavit.

The following day, she sped through another entrance at a high rate of speed. Military police began a 50-minute-long pursuit which reached 110 miles per hour. Police backed off and pursued from a safe distance until Santiago eventually stopped.

She was transported to the Geary Community Hospital and placed under police guard. She allegedly tore things off the wall in the examination room and had to be restrained. Emergency room staff reported she was “completely out of control, manic, profane, and delusional and was screaming, yelling and flailing around on the cart,” the affidavit said.

Four hours later, she was transported to Osawatomie State Mental Hospital for treatment. A physician there stated Santiago had a “psychotic break” due to heavy doses of a steroidal medicine she was taking for a breathing and bronchial disorder.

Meanwhile that same day, the sergeant found the envelope with the word “Master” printed on the front beneath the seat of his car. The envelope was seized as evidence and opened, according to the affidavit. It contained a card with Santiago’s hand-written declaration of her love for him.

Santiago also left the sergeant a pair of perfumed panties.

Comments

Alceste 3 years, 2 months ago

Oh yeah....and one other thing: Innocent until proven guilty in this great land along with a presumption of innocence. Just because somebody is arrested don't mean diddly boo. However, here at LJWorld.com, if it's in the "paper", you're guilty.

Witting and his buddy Douglas Lake got off Scott free......but were convicted in the press.

Innocent until PROVEN guilty BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT. That is the way in the US of A. Well, it's supposed to be. I'd hate to have to go before a Federal Court Judge who sits ringside with Lew Perkins myself. I think the concepts I've written about above don't really count. I'd prefer Judge Bruce McMarion Wright.

Alceste 3 years, 2 months ago

The problem is having "Affirmative Action" in place such that school girls are providing "therapy" to combat veterans.

The better question is "Why doesn't the US Military hire male therapists?" shrug

bearded_gnome 3 years, 2 months ago

"I want my counter transference! and I want it now!"

whew, this is actually quite a scarey story. women like the "therapist" have killed or tried to kill before.

but outside of real life, this made me think of the movie "Play misty for me."

a side note: there is one thing I have a lot of praise for the Obama administration. recently the standards for documenting a PTSD claim were properly loosened to reasonable standards! this opened the access for a large number of vets who truly needed PTSD diagnoses and treatments. good on them! the administration and the vets who desperately need this.

however, there is often too much turnover and lack of standards among the mental health providers for current and past military members.

compmd 3 years, 2 months ago

"The following day, she sped through another entrance at a high rate of speed. Military police began a 50-minute-long pursuit which reached 110 miles per hour"

This psycho is lucky they didn't just shoot her.

compmd 3 years, 2 months ago

This psycho is lucky they didn't just shoot her.

boltzmann 3 years, 2 months ago

"high rate of speed"

Don't newspapers have copy editors any more? How about just "high speed"? Speed is already a rate, so rate of speed would actually mean acceleration, not speed.

jaywalker 3 years, 2 months ago

Whitney,

If you could, I'd like to know what in that post violated the use agreement, Whatever it was, it wasn't intentional. Just giving my take on what I read between the lines. In any case, if I knew what I did wrong I'd eliminate it in the future.

Thanks

ophiuchus 3 years, 2 months ago

Some women just can't resist a man in uniform.

Healthcare_Moocher 3 years, 2 months ago

seriouscat 3 years, 2 months ago

a) therapy is a very intimate encounter. Sometimes sex isn't 'intimate' at all.

b) nice speculation. Typical small minded, small town gossip mentality.

jaywalker 3 years, 2 months ago

black_butterfly 3 years, 2 months ago

Wow I just read the entire article. She is extremely mentally disturbed. How she held her mental state together long enough to retain a master's degree with clinical concentration is beyond me. I wonder how long she has been practicing?

black_butterfly 3 years, 2 months ago

This is sad. Why would she jeopardize her career by doing this? What she did was unethical and she will definitely lose her license. I agree wtih you Pywacket. She has now caused him to have PTSD of a NEW kind. The therapist needs therapy.

Pywacket 3 years, 2 months ago

Next up, the movie, starring Glenn Close.... Oh, wait!

This nutcase is so over the top as to be almost unbelievable. Good thing he finally confided to someone and the military got involved with stopping the crazy b.....

But what's with the military not recognizing crazy therapists in the first place? This one was contracted by them. The therapist who shot all those innocent people at Ft Hood last year was active military himself (and crazy as a bedbug).

With a child in the military, deploying next month, I would feel a lot better if I knew she would get someone who was sane and competent if ever she needs PTSD therapy--or therapy for any issues that may arise.

As for this poor soldier, how much more of a struggle is it going to be for him to trust, readjust, and find inner peace after this bizarre and terrifying ordeal? He was completely let down by being assigned to this lunatic for "help."