Archive for Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Bill Self meets with President in Osawatomie

KU hoops coach learns that Barack Obama is ‘huge basketball fan’

Kansas head men's basketball coach Bill Self met with President Barack Obama in Osawatomie on Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2011, before taking on Long Beach State later in the day. Obama was on the campaign trail and made the stop in the Kansas town. Self also discussed meeting former presidents during his time coaching at KU.

December 6, 2011, 4:12 p.m. Updated December 7, 2011, 2:44 a.m.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self met with President Barack Obama at a meet-and-greet session before the President's speech on Tuesday at Osawatomie High School.

"Great day. Just met President Obama. So down-to-earth, loves ball. Heading back to Allen to get to work. Game-Day. See you guys at 8," Self wrote on Twitter.

Self during his pre-game KU-Long Beach State radio interview said he received an e-mail on Monday inviting him to meet with the President.

“I said, ‘I can’t make it. It’s Game-Day. I’ve got shoot-around,’” Self said. “They (Obama staff members) e-mailed back and said, ‘He understands. Just come and meet him.’ I drove to Osawatomie and we visited a while.

“The talk of him being a huge basketball fan is not just talk,” Self added. “He asked me about our team. I told him, ‘I like our guys. They try awfully hard, but we need to play at a higher level.’’’

The two shared a light moment.

“I said, ‘With all due respect, Mr. President, don’t pick us again (in his pre-NCAA Tournament bracket).’ He picked us to win it all the last two years. He said, ‘You cost me money,’’’ Self added with a laugh. “I said, ‘Not as much as you cost me.’’’

Self said he was appreciative of the time with the President.

“It’s amazing what the president goes through in daily life. Every second of the day is allotted,” Self said. “He gave me six minutes, and I think we were allotted five. It was one of those once-in-a-lifetime opportunities.

“As an American you have so much respect for that office,” Self said. “For me it was a no-brainer to go.”

Self has now met three Presidents: Obama; President George W. Bush in the White House after KU won the title in 2008 and President Bill Clinton at KU when Clinton visited campus with Bob Dole.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

Uh oh!! Self just earned the enmity of many of the usual suspects on this forum.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

Obama has been a disappointment in many ways, but if trends mean anything, we're definitely on a significant upward one after 8 years of utter corruption and incompetence from Bush/Cheney. And given the paltry offering by Republicans, it'll be up to Obama to continue that rather disappointing upward trend over the next several years.

Lawrence_Pilot 3 years ago

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting an inexperienced man like him with the Presidency"

1.) Being in charge for 3 years in the worst economy in 70 years would give anyone whatever experience they needed. 2.) His staff all has LOTS of experience, especially with the economy, because almost all of them served either in the governments of other presidents....some under the Bush Administration.

But regardless, this was supposed to be a fun SPORTS story, not another downer political negativity hatchet job.

jonas_opines 3 years ago

Bwahaha

Lawrence_Pilot 3 years ago

I still don't know what Bwahaha means....

jonas_opines 3 years ago

Not sure if serious. . . .

Try saying it out loud, in a mirthful manner, and it might spark a revelation.

Mary Darst 3 years ago

Better Self than Brownbackistan. I would have loved to meet him...regardless of your affiliation..meeting any president would be great.

kansanjayhawk 3 years ago

While it is great that he met with the President I was very disappointed in the very partisan and political speech Mr. Obama gave in which he attacked Republicans! So much for trying to work with the opposition! It will be a great day when Mr. Obama is retired and sent to the trash heap of history just like all of the other socialist despots of old Europe. Socialism is a very discredited philosophy and it has never worked to benefit any nation.

jonas_opines 3 years ago

"just like all of the other socialist despots of old Europe"

lolwut?