Archive for Friday, December 2, 2011

Kansas Supreme Court suspends Lawrence attorney’s law license

December 2, 2011

— The Kansas Supreme Court on Friday suspended indefinitely the law license of longtime Lawrence attorney Shelley Kurt Bock.

The court said suspending Bock from the practice of law was appropriate given several previous disciplinary actions against him.

A hearing panel of the Kansas Board for the Discipline of Attorneys determined that Bock had violated numerous portions of the Kansas Rules of Professional Conduct.

He failed to represent several clients “with reasonable thoroughness and preparation.” Bock missed numerous court appointments and failed to communicate with clients and expedite litigation in the best interests of clients.

He also failed to provide information during disciplinary actions against him and provided misleading information, officials said.

“Basically, it resulted from being overwhelmed in the profession and trying to get through some depression,” Bock said Friday from London where he is working on a master’s degree “in an effort to readjust my direction.”

“I’ve received a great deal of support from many of my peers and several local judges,” he said. “They have been aware of my personal dilemmas.”

Comments

Bob Forer 3 years ago

"Last year, Bock’s license was temporarily suspended after an informal admonishment in 2009. In 2008, his license to practice law was placed on probation."

Do they require English 101 for J students? A license is not placed on probation. An attorney is.

somebodynew 3 years ago

Yes, Shelley keep in mind a lot of us have you in our thoughts and hope to see you back here good and strong.

Jeff Barclay 3 years ago

He has admitted he needs help. Maybe I am missing something. He is studying out of the country. No longer practicing law... This is news because? Is there something inside the Lawrence/Douglas County poli-legal scene that we have are not being told? Sounds as if he knows it needed to be revoked. Unless there is something more to this story... leave the poor guy alone...

Neomarxist123 3 years ago

Shelley is a great guy and a good lawyer. I hope he comes thru this.

coloradoan 3 years ago

"Sounds like" means that you don't actually know him, and therefore cannot make such a conclusion as made here. I don't know him either, so will not make a conclusive statement as to his character, one way or the other.

And people (some adults even!) actually wondered where Emma found examples for discourse. Good grief.

ivalueamerica 3 years ago

my opinion of you was based on your first statement above.

At the end of the day, I would much rather deal with Shelly.

ivalueamerica 3 years ago

A lawyer with depression or a judgmental knee jerk bully.

Hmmm.

since I think bullies are clinical and need as much if not more help from mental health providers, and since I have used Shelly many times over the years.

I suggest you seek the help you need before it is too late.

grammaddy 3 years ago

Sorry to hear this. I know his case-load was crazy when I last saw him. I wish him well in whatever he does.

redfred 3 years ago

I've known Shelly for over 20 yrs. He is one of the most caring Attorneys I know. Best of luck to you.

Tongie_soccer 3 years ago

I have known Shelley for several years both professionally and personally - he was a great advocate for kids, spending time on the CINC panel (which is a terrible gig) and devoting so much of his time to youth soccer. He was a fair and informed soccer referree, and before his more recent struggles he was a caring and attentive attorney. I hope that everything he has been through passes quickly and he finds the place he needs to be now. Thanks Shelley for everything you have done!

Deb Engstrom 3 years ago

Shelly was guardian ad litem for my two girls when they were going through the system. He really did have their best interests at heart and was caring and concerned. I knew then that his caseload was overwhelming. I wish him the best.

Robert Kidder 3 years ago

Shelly did a lot of that; he just could not say "no" to helping CINC kids. It appears that the high work load, mounds of paperwork, and low state payments might be the problem. It sure was nice of the state to recognize that.

Deb Engstrom 3 years ago

seriouscat 3 years ago

To all the work-a-holics out there. We know you mean well, but when you let your workload get out of control you are hurting the people who you are supposed to be helping. Please get help as soon as it's apparent there's a problem! thank you, signed your fellow professionals