Archive for Monday, August 29, 2011

29-year-old Michigan man identified as victim in fatality accident

August 29, 2011, 2:29 p.m. Updated August 29, 2011, 6:29 p.m.

Lawrence police officers investigate a fatality accident Saturday at Riverfront Park. Police say one person died when a Jeep overturned early Saturday near the park entrance.

A Ford Mustang is pulled from a ditch along the Kansas Turnpike on Thursday, Aug. 25, 2011. Emergency crews were investigating an accident that involved two cars in the eastbound lane. Traffic was stopped just west of East 600 Road to allow a LifeStar helicopter to land on the road.

The second of three serious accidents on Thursday, Aug. 25, 2011 involved a car-motorcycle accident on U.S. Highway 24/40 near the Douglas-Leavenworth county line about 3 p.m. Two people were transported to area hospitals.

Douglas County Sheriff's deputies worked with Kansas Highway Patrol troopers and emergency personnel from Eudora and Lawrence to free a truck driver for Penny's Concrete from his rig about 4:30 p.m. on Thursday Aug. 25, 2011 near the Eudora exit on Kansas Highway 10 after it overturned, pinning him inside. The driver was flown by helicopter ambulance to an area hospital.

Lawrence police Monday identified a 29-year-old Michigan man as the driver who died in a single-vehicle accident early Saturday morning near the entrance to Riverfront Park in North Lawrence.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman, said officers were also trying to determine if the driver was involved in a high-speed chase that began in Tonganoxie nearly six hours before the accident was discovered.

Police identified Tyler Yaroch, Midland, Mich., as the driver of the yellow 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A passerby called police at 6:15 a.m. Saturday when they noticed the driver had been ejected from the vehicle. Police said there were no other passengers in the vehicle.

Tonganoxie Deputy Chief Billy Adcox said around 12:30 a.m. an officer observed a yellow Jeep Wrangler driving through Tonganoxie south on U.S. Highway 24-40 faster than the posted speed limit. The Jeep failed to stop at a traffic light at the Kansas Highway 16 intersection and almost struck another vehicle, he said.

Sarna said investigators believe the Jeep crashed between 12:30 a.m. Saturday — which was when the Tonganoxie chase started — and when it was discovered several hours later.

During the chase, the Tonganoxie officer activated his lights and sirens and attempted to stop the vehicle.

“The officer was in pursuit with the Jeep Wrangler with speeds in excess of 100 mph southbound on U.S. 24-40,” Adcox said. “A supervisor was monitoring radio traffic and advised the officer to terminate the pursuit.”

The Tonganoxie officer stopped his pursuit east of the Lawrence Municipal Airport and returned to Tonganoxie. The officer was unable to obtain the license plate number on the Jeep.

A passerby several hours later discovered a Jeep Wrangler that had crashed near the entrance to the park — just west of where the Tonganoxie officer ended his pursuit. Lawrence officers believe the Jeep was headed west on North 1800 Road at a high rate of speed before the crash and left the road. Yaroch was thrown from the vehicle. North 1800 Road is a westbound extension of U.S. Highway 24-40.

“It is not known at this time if alcohol was a contributing factor to the accident,” Sarna said.

According to a preliminary coroner's report, Yaroch died of multiple injuries due to blunt-force trauma, and he tested positive for marijuana and amphetamine, although a blood test will take several weeks to complete.

Adcox said Leavenworth County dispatchers also advised Douglas County dispatchers a pursuit was headed into Douglas County.

Lawrence police ask anyone with information on the accident to call the department at 785-832-7650 or Douglas County Crime Stoppers at 785-843-TIPS (8477).

Several other accidents occurred in the past several days.

A Douglas County Sheriff’s Office spokesman said investigators suspect “driver inattentiveness” as a factor in an accident Saturday night north of Baldwin City that injured a Lawrence teen.

Amber Stacey, 16, was listed in fair condition Monday morning at Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., said Bob Hallinan, a hospital spokesman. Sgt. Steve Lewis, a sheriff’s spokesman, said she was hurt when she lost control of her northbound Toyota Solara around 9:30 p.m. in the 400 block of County Road 1055.

Lewis said alcohol did not contribute to the crash. Stacey was the sole occupant of the car that eventually drifted across both lanes of traffic before striking a ditch, tree and boulder.

Also at KU Hospital were three people who were injured in three accidents last Thursday. Here’s an update from Hallinan on Monday morning:

• Robert Berkoski, 67, Naples, Fla., was listed in fair condition. He was hurt in a crash on the Kansas Turnpike west of the Lecompton interchange.

• Donald Burnett, 63, Manhattan, also was listed in fair condition. He suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident Thursday on U.S. Highway 24-40 near the Douglas County-Leavenworth County line.

• Richard Vandruff, 44, Tonganoxie, was in serious condition. Vandruff was injured after a tire blew on the concrete truck he was driving west Thursday on Kansas Highway 10. The Kansas Highway Patrol closed the commuter highway for six hours Thursday evening as troopers investigated the crash.

Comments

fatheadff 3 years ago

As stated before I was northbound on 2nd St by tanger outlet and passed a Douglas county sheriff headed south in front of slow ride saloon. He kept heading south on north 2nd I went to the intersection of 24/40 and headed east to Tonganoxie where the jeep passed me at the airport entrance and was all over the road to the extent I got over to the far side of my lane and I toldpassword that he had to be running from someone. A few minutes later I passed a Tongie police officer at the mud creek bridge and when I looked at his car I told my wife that's who the jeep was running from because I saw the Tongie cops in car video had red/green lights on the camera indicating it was still recording. I wonder if Leavenworth did call Douglas county why was he headed south away from Teepee junction instead of staging there. Just sayin. Prayers go out to the family.

rukidingme 3 years ago

I'm sure Douglas County was notified, but as always I'm sure the dispatch center didn't put the call out in a timely manner. They probaly wrote down the information and forgot to put it out over the radio.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

I suppose this is rather blunt: I don't believe you.

Joe Hyde 3 years ago

Well, it's possible that at some point along the communications link a dispatcher was busy handling a call of much greater importance, a call that took priority. However, dispatchers in general, midnight shift dispatchers in particular, live for the excitement of coordinating high-speed police chases that result in capture. The really good chases, you get an experienced dispatcher who knows the area intimately it's like playing a pinball machine.

The speed limit signs you see posted on westbound US 24/40 as you approach the Lawrence Airport Motel, those signs need to be swapped out from 60mph to 45 mph signs. Drive out there and look: you will not find a conventional slowdown zone as westbound 24/40 traffic nears the US 59 traffic signal (TeePee Junction). Consequently, westbound 24/40 motorists who are new to this area are encouraged to race toward that intersection at 60mph. It's an extremely unsafe signage arrangement.

monkeywrench1969 3 years ago

I am always a little dubious of people claiming to "see the whole thing" without contacting the police. If you were that close to "see the lights on the in car video", you should have been stopping or calling the police. If you truly saw this maybe you should call the police and tell them what you saw instead of trying to impress the online community. I know the number is inthe book...

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

You're right! The numbers are in the book! They are a bit tricky to find though, because they are listed under "Lawrence - City of - "

Emergency: 911 Lawrence Police (Non-Emergency): 832-7509 Lawrence Police Investigations: 830-7430

But, think before you call those numbers because they have caller ID and tape recorders, and making harassing or frivolous calls to those numbers is at least a misdemeanor.

fatheadff 3 years ago

Well monkey and Ron why would I need to call the police when they are behind the vehicle they are following. And since I used to build cop cars I know how they operate and what lights mean what. And also being in the fire service I've learned if you are not part of the situation why get involved. And I do help when people are in need. Just like I was the first person to the truck rollover accident in front of the airport a month ago when Wayne rolled his truck. But the only reason I stopped then is nobody was around and I wanted to make sure he was ok. I guess it's easy to second guess people from your easy chair. Call it what you want but I was the first person to say it happen in the 12:00 hour before the police did. So how do you explain that Sherlock Holmes?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

I would explain it this way:

I would point out that I did not make any suggestion that anyone call the police about this or any other car chase.

I have never made a suggestion like that on this forum.

There have been a few times that I did advise someone to call the police for personal safety reasons, but it certainly was not concerning a police chase.

rukidingme 3 years ago

Fatheadff don't let them get to you, they are probaly educated freaks from KU. They go to college to not have a job. There job in life is to sit and write dumb comments on LJW. Read any comment on anything. Really come on people get a life.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

Yes, we are educated. But, I'm not sure about the rest. In some cases, I suppose it is true.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

"You can spot us from a mile away, because our spelling and grammar is impeccable." Most of the time... Have you figured out the difference between to, too and two yet?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

Yes, I finally got it. "Too" can mean "also" or "excessive". Before I looked it up, I thought it meant only "also".

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

"because our spelling and grammar is impeccable."

Except for subject/verb agreement.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 12 months ago

Dammit!

In my first draft, I used only "grammar". Then, since I now use a spellcheck, I tossed in spelling also without thinking.

That's my excuse!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 12 months ago

Maybe this explains my problems with English:

I took only one 3 semester hour English class in college and got a C, and two 3 semester hour English classes were required in order to graduate with the Bachelor's degree in General Studies that was last offered by K.U. in the spring of 1979.

I wanted to quit college, and thought I'd just go ahead and graduate and leave. So, I applied for and was accepted into the B.G.S. program in December, 1978, and was on schedule to graduate in the spring.

I needed that second English class and only one more class, and any class would do. That was the very last semester that the B.G.S. degree was awarded.

Or, I could have had a transcript sent from San Diego, California, and since I had 6 semester hours (two classes) from San Diego Evening College, that would have covered the second class. If I had done that, then I would have needed only that one single 3 semester English class in order to graduate in the spring of 1979.

But then I dropped that English class, and so I didn't graduate with a B.G.S. degree from K.U.

But, a B.G.S. degree is pretty much worthless anyway, the only thing it would have meant was that I had successfully completed 171 semester hours, of which 6 semester hours were English classes.

So, I did receive a well rounded education, but it sure does seem to be rather worthless.

mich 3 years ago

please people do we remember what this is about? think about the family & friends .

geoismeo 3 years ago

The Jeep driver didn't seem to concerned with anyone elses family and friends.

Pete_Schweti 3 years ago

^like

(grievous apostrophe crime notwithstanding)

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 12 months ago

When I was younger, I did a lot of stupid things.

The big difference between Mr. Yaroch and myself is that I got away with it, and I also lived to tell about it.

Other than those two things, the only real difference is that I never drove a Jeep.

XE 3 years ago

what blows my mind is all the fascinating details about the supposed chase, but no one seemed to notice the michigan plate, or at least mention that it was an out of state plate

Kookamooka 3 years ago

How many people know that Brownback increased the speed limit on the turnpike in certain places to 75? Going 80 in those zones is just going 5 miles over. Where were the protesters? Who knew this was going to happen? How much did all the extra signage cost? Where did he get the money and authority to do this. Ironically, he's giving away money to people who wear their seat belts. I do that all of the time anyway and I don't need taxpayer dollars to help me save my own life. I do need Brownback to lower the speed limit on hwy 70 so I can get to work safely.

Thanks for listening.

matahari 3 years ago

too bad about the vehicle

babygirl88 3 years ago

Just Fyi, An Attempt to Locate was Issued for this Vehicle around 12:30 am, (from Douglas County Dispatch) as i was awake and heard it on the scanner......With that being said it was also stated that the chase had been called off......As anyone who listens to the scanner would know, as always on a typical friday and saturday night, there was alot going on about this same time in all areas of the city and county as well, if this person was still driving in excess speeds, it's possible they might not have made it to them until after the wreck happened and given the location of the wreck, probably wouldn't have found it until a passer by discovered it, but no one can know for sure but it's still a sad ending either way. A life was lost no matter the reason and a family is mourning a Tragic Loss.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

At least it wasn't an alcoholic illegal alien with relatives in high places.

2GenLtown 3 years ago

Didn't the hurricane start before this story?

RIP

Lets let him pass on.

monkeywrench1969 2 years, 12 months ago

Well fat

Maybe with all the people who always claim the cops are lying about stuff especially on here, you could back up their account of the events. If you saw the jeep fly by you driving crazy that would be mean the cops probabaly had a good reason to try and stop him or find him. The fact you saw the Tonganoxie cop minutes after seeing the jeep means he may have lost him so why not just call then and say "he went that a way" (Don't want to sound that edumacated-it might put someone off). Why not help the LAwrence cops and tell them the story because they are trying to find out why the guy crashed. Maybe they want to know if the guys in Tongie are right?

I am happy you helped the hurt people but why pick and choose who you help if you know it is right.

Bushloather1 2 years, 11 months ago

Hopefully the authorities and journalists can put in context his actions and behavior that led to this tadgic ending. Why was he "racing" through red lights and doubling the posted speed limits before anybody ever persued him? Why was he even on this road if heading to Colorado? Was he lost or disoriented? When did he leave MI ? Did he ever stop to rest? Did he have a cell phone? What do his friends have to say? It is just not good enough to call this an "accident" and turn away.