Archive for Sunday, August 28, 2011

Juvenile arrested for burglary of Adam Avenue home

August 28, 2011

Police arrested a juvenile male after he broke into a house on Adam Avenue and stole several items.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Kirk Fultz said a woman called police about 11:00 a.m. Sunday after hearing loud banging on her front and back doors. While she was on the phone with police upstairs, the suspect pried open a sliding glass door in the back of the house and took a laptop computer, purse and wallet from downstairs.

The suspect exited the house when police arrived and ran into a neighboring residence. Fultz said the juvenile did not live at the home, but he was staying there at the time. The suspect was apprehended and confessed to the break-in. He was arrested for felony theft, aggravated burglary and criminal damage.

Police returned the items to the resident, who was unharmed during the incident.

Comments

BlackVelvet 3 years, 5 months ago

And now nothing will likely happen to the offender, simply because he is a juvenile. Sends a pretty clear message.

Orwell 3 years, 5 months ago

Yeah… let's give him a record and ruin his life so he can't ever find a job. That'll teach him!

BlackVelvet 3 years, 5 months ago

I didn't say ruin his life. But if you don't hold him accountable, he has no reason NOT to repeat. But I guess if it's your stuff that's stolen, you're okay with that. Or if it's you that gets beaten and robbed, that's okay cause we don't want to "ruin his life". eh?

bigplayahdfresh 3 years, 5 months ago

yea i wanna join him at a BBQ, thats why it says FREE MY HOMIE

LadyJ 3 years, 5 months ago

Right where he belongs. Gives him time to think about his choices and pay his debt to society. Actions have consequences

Scott Morgan 3 years, 5 months ago

We are all carp faced when we hear about an older women or man killed during a home break in? Rarely do these creeps ever have a clean record. They all have hidden felonies, which this incident was. Of course which is always brought up in adult cases.

Consider me with BlackVelvet............hang um high.

costello 3 years, 5 months ago

"A youth with enough kahones to break into a home with residents there is most likely try something far more sinister later."

I assumed he thought there was no one home because he knocked on both the front and back doors but got no answer. It's an odd story. "The juvenile did not live at the home, but he was staying there at the time." And the woman reacted to a knock on the door at 11 am by calling the police.

John Spencer 3 years, 5 months ago

I think they are referring to the house the ute ran into. It looks llike her instincts were spot on to me.

costello 3 years, 5 months ago

Ah, I see. I missed that bit about the neighboring house. lol... you can see why I might be confused. I must have been pretty tired last night. I kept reading the story over and over and still had him living in the house he was burglarizing. ;)

Yes, her instincts were obviously good. It's just curious that she would call the police because someone knocked on the door at that time of day. Clearly she had some reason to know it wasn't your average social call.

somebodynew 3 years, 5 months ago

costello - the way I read it, I doubt she called at the first knock. It was after he went to both doors and most people can tell the difference between knocking and trying more than that. This is the problem when you choose not to acknowledge a knock on a door. The good guys just go away, but the bad guys take that as a sign no one is home and then break in, trapping you inside. I am not saying you should open the door, but at least yell through it to let someone know there is someone at home. An awful lot of break-ins occur during the daylight hours when people are away from home.

costello 3 years, 5 months ago

I think I would have called out and asked who was there before I picked up the phone to call the police. Probably the kid was just trying to find out if anyone was home and figured he was in the clear when no one answered. Having said that, there's no doubt more to the story than we know about from this article. And it would have been kind of freaky having someone knocking at the back door. Maybe she didn't answer the front door, because she wasn't up for company, then realized it wasn't just a Jehovah's Witness when the knocking resumed on the back door. ;)

chong 3 years, 5 months ago

Just to clarify, Sgt. Fultz said it was loud banging on the doors, as opposed to a friendly knock.

Chris Hong Reporter Lawrence Journal World

costello 3 years, 5 months ago

Scott Morgan 3 years, 5 months ago

Ok on my count, a one a two a three...........

you say cujones, I say kahones, I say tomatoe, you say tomato, let's call the whole thing off,

LadyJ 3 years, 5 months ago

Don't forget the cast iron skillet, worked for the elderly lady in Emporia.

bigplayahdfresh 3 years, 4 months ago

ALREADY, but i don't think you shoulda but homies name up there