Archive for Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lawrence school board approves name change for Central Junior High School

April 26, 2011

Central Junior High School will get a new, yet historic, name come July 1.

The school at 1400 Mass. will be known as Liberty Memorial Central Middle School, both reflecting the switch to handle grades 6 through 8 next year and to honor the building’s original name granted when it was dedicated as Liberty Memorial High School in 1923.

Lawrence school board members approved the change Monday on a 5-1 vote, with Mark Bradford opposed and Mary Loveland abstaining.

Earlier this month, board members agreed that the Lawrence school district’s other three junior highs — South, Southwest and West — would retain their directional names as middle schools, also effective July 1.

Comments

WilburM 4 years, 1 month ago

Not too bad, but simply Liberty Memorial Middle School would have been better. Just cleaner and clearer, especially since Central is scarcely central any more.

Write2Know 4 years, 1 month ago

I'd also drop the Memorial and just go with Liberty Middle School. Nice and clean that way.

Rich Noever 4 years, 1 month ago

I disagree. Since there is a memorial on the front of the bulilding and above the stage in the school auditorium, it is natural to assume that the building is a memorial to those men.The word 'Memorial should stay.

grandnanny 4 years, 1 month ago

Did we really need all of the words - that's a real mouthfull. I'm sure that noone is going to say the entire name of the school. How much will that new sign cost? Will you be able to put the entire name on a uniform? Even LMCMS will be at tad long. Liberty Memorial Middle School - shorter and just as historic. The Central has no real meaning anymore.

sherbert 4 years, 1 month ago

Central has more meaning to the current population, why not Central Middle School. It's going to be called Central by everyone who lives here anyway.

Eddie Muñoz 4 years, 1 month ago

I think I'll take a drive. From the west side of town, I'll take 15th street to Iowa, then left so I can drive by where Bucky's used to be on my way downtown. Then I'll head south from downtown and check out my old junior high, you know, CJHS!

WilburM 4 years, 1 month ago

You've got a great historic building with almost a century of meaning. We should take advantage of that. In three years, everyone will call it Liberty.

trymeone35 4 years, 1 month ago

It still will always be central to all that have attended there......and why change the name? to get better funding ?????

lily 4 years, 1 month ago

While everyone might call it Liberty, to many it's Central. I think to do it justice it needed elements of both. Liberty Central would have been my choice, but, that's just my opinion. I don't think it's fair to pick one over the other when it holds special significance to many as Liberty Memorial and Central. The history is wonderful, it's a great school as it is and deserves to be acknowledged on both counts.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 1 month ago

Let's hope that USD 497 will begin to show respect for the taxpayers property. Like take care of this building with awesome architecture.....

Instead of USD 497 becoming a slum lord.......

Can you believe that USD 497 chose NOT to fix a roof? ..... yes on Kennedy.

Central is a beautiful building so I would urge the PTO group to be watch dogs and keep USD 497 responsible.

trymeone35 4 years, 1 month ago

i am so glad my kids are no longer in Lawrence schools.. and fully grown... i don't thing 6th graders should be mixed with 8th graders.. lets just put are Kids to work at 10 next.. you don't even give these kids a chance to be kids..Lawrence schools suck.... if you have ever just walked in and school and stood out side a class room and watched some of the teachers you would home school your kids........ and there resource room teachers either do the work for them or give them all the answers so they will pass...i know i have had three kids go three Lawrence schools.. and you should see the shock, in a teachers eyes , when you catch them being mean to your child, or just dont pay any attention to them when they ask for help..i have seen this all... and i have reported the schools to srs for neglect by making children sit in a room with paint sheet hang from the walls and as cold as heck to were you need a winter coat..........WHAT NEXT LAWRENCE, CHARGE US JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN FOR ANY THING YOU WANT TO CHANGE.. AND AS FOR HAVING TO PAY SCHOOL TAXES AFTER I HAVE NO KIDS IN SCHOOL IS CRAP.. I PAYED FOR MY KIDS TO GO TO SCHOOL... I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR OTHERS.....

So_tired_of_the_whiners 4 years, 1 month ago

I always like a rant about the school system that is filled with spelling errors. Must make a teacher feel good.

d_prowess 4 years, 1 month ago

I make spelling and grammatical errors all the time in posts, but I think it is funny when people have a bunch of them and they are talking about how Lawrence Schools suck!

Jock Navels 4 years, 1 month ago

methinks you should go back to school yourself and learn a lot you don't know now.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

It's hard not to note the irony of the recommendation for home schooling amongst the grammatical and spelling errors.

Synjyn Smythe 4 years, 1 month ago

What would be interesting to see is the mass exodus from Lawrence public schools if the legislature allowed vouchers! Lawrence has some outstanding teachers, but is led by a complete Dolt!

Cindy Yulich 4 years, 1 month ago

Why did Bradford oppose and Loveland abstain?

Synjyn Smythe 4 years, 1 month ago

Loveland wanted her name on the school!

tirednhungry 4 years, 1 month ago

If they MUST change the name (and I don't see why they do), why not call it Liberty Central instead of Liberty Memorial Central? The new name seems very awkward. This seems like a classic example of a school board not placing emphasis on what is truly important, and making silly changes just for the sake of making a change.

BorderRuffian 4 years, 1 month ago

I wonder how much money and time was spent coming up with this name change that will, in reality, accomplish nothing?

Steve Elmore 4 years, 1 month ago

I did my time at Central Junior High and I wouldn't mind if they left the Central out of the name. It just seems a little long and akward. My mom and grandpa both graduated frm LMHS.

Tammy Copp-Barta 4 years, 1 month ago

I for one, am thrilled they went back to Liberty Memorial. For those of you complaining about why Liberty Memorial .. here is a little history about why it is called that (from the Central Handbook) ...

"Central Junior High School is housed in the Liberty Memorial Building, built in 1922. The building stands in memory of the 19 Lawrence students and alumni who lost their lives in World War I. At the time it was built, our building was on the outskirts of downtown! The cornerstone of our building and the outside architectural details and features are interesting to study. Inside the auditorium a plaque commemorates names of the boys who lost their lives in the war, and a poem by Rudyard Kipling bemoans the senselessness of war."

To some of you complaining it will always be Central to you .. to some in the generations before - it will always be Liberty Memorial High School. And as you see from above - it wasn't even Central to the city when it was built!

EarthaKitt 4 years, 1 month ago

Up until now Central's OFFICIAL name (it appears in records and on letterhead and business cards from what I understand) has been "Central Middle School at the Liberty Memorial Building." The goal has always been to respect the history and meaning of the building while utilizing a directional name that was given when it was the most centrally located junior high.

I attended the school board meeting prior to last night's and there were half a dozen veterans and family members of the fallen soldiers whose names are displayed as part of the memorial speaking to the board. I feel like they were right to ask that the school retain "Liberty Memorial" in its name in some fashion. The school was built as a memorial and it shouldn't lose that distinction over time.

As for the length of the new name - the school will no doubt still be referred to as Central by those who are currently enrolled and by those who attended it under that name. Perhaps it will evolve again to be called something with Liberty Memorial in it, but that's for time to tell. Think of those kids who go to Shawnee Mission East High School. They don't put that on uniforms. "SM East" is on the uniforms and "East" is what it's known by. Liberty Memorial Central Middle School will shake out to something shorter in conversation.

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 1 month ago

I have been to several events at Central over the years and it always seemed shameful to me as I sat there and read the names of the soldiers who lost their lives on the wall of the auditorium and realized that they had changed the name to Central and taken out the references to it being a memorial to those soldiers.

Now it is being changed back to a suitable name that will remind people of the sacrifices made for our freedom and way of life and something that all young people should remember.

It is hard to believe that so many would complain. It is no wonder we have so many social problems in our culture today with this kind of attitude.

I applaud this school board for doing the right thing and attempting to correct a mistake.

somedude20 4 years, 1 month ago

Who really cares about a name. I think Snickers is a weird name but the taste is good. As long as the kids still receive a good education, who really cares? I guess if you are looking to fill a void in your life by creating drama than here you go, but really?

Take_a_letter_Maria 4 years, 1 month ago

I still disagree with the need to change the names from junior high to middle school. Too bad Mark doesn't have the cajones to ask the board that question and get a real answer.

gossipgirl785 4 years, 1 month ago

What is sad to me is that the kids don't have all the nice equipment the other middle schools have, NOT EVEN A FULL TRACK?? I have been to athletic events where the coaches were sitting on the benches texting while thier team was losing by 50 pts! I live in this district now and my son should go to Central next year but I think I am going to try for a transfer. I am not thinking of only the sports but just when you drive by it looks old and worn down. How do all the other schools look so nice and have nice fields and equipment and this school has nothing. Do we as East siders not deserve as nice of things as the other schools, are we going to do the same as some other towns and just let Central be our ghetto school that no one gives a crap about? Just sad and you know who you are that should take a stand and put some pride back in these kids that have to go to this school, or do you even really care? The track to me says it all, kind of how they feel about the school! The kids only deserve that much since they come from the east side. Am I the only one that notices these things, no one has commented on this ?? South West and South sure do look nice.......

gossipgirl785 4 years, 1 month ago

pace 4 years, 1 month ago

They will close it anyway in a few years. Ask them?

Prairielander 4 years, 1 month ago

You need to do more than just drive by. Central has the newest, a possibly "nicest" gym and is the only middle school with a real auditorium. In fact, if you consider the history and ambiance, the auditorium may be the "nicest" venue in the entire school system.

And where would you put a "full track" on the Central site?

Bladerunner 4 years, 1 month ago

It could go through peoples back yards and we could stop traffic when kids are running across 15th Street lol.