Archive for Monday, September 20, 2010

Lawrence man convicted of repeatedly raping child

Raymond Stockton said that one of his multiple personalities forced him to convince to sexually assaulting and raping a girl under the age of 14.

September 20, 2010

Amy McGowan, Douglas County chief assistant district attorney, described a recent court trial involving allegations of child abuse as unusual.

As the trial of Raymond G. Stockton, 43, Lawrence, was getting under way last week, the defense presented a theory: the defendant suffers from dissociative identity disorder, and one of his personalities, “Marcus,” made him confess to the crimes for which he was accused.

During an interview with police, Stockton confessed to raping a girl between 2004 and 2007, McGowan said.

She said that during testimony the court was told by a Topeka mental health professional hired by the defense to interview Stockton that “Marcus” revealed himself during their meeting.

McGowan said the defense claimed Marcus “threw (Stockton) under the bus and made him confess.”

She added that she didn’t believe Stockton’s behavior during the confession to police was consistent with dissociative identity disorder, also known as multiple personality disorder.

“The interview with police lasted almost four hours and there wasn’t anything other than the emotions that come out, basically, when a person is caught and confesses,” McGowan said.

Another unusual element of the five-day long court trial was that the victim had recanted her story and had to be compelled to testify.

The teenager was ages 11-14 when the abuse occurred.

“We had seen it coming because she had come to court in May 2009 on a motion hearing and recanted at that time, basically saying she made it all up,” McGowan said.

Despite the mental illness claim from the defense and the fact that the victim no longer wanted the case to move forward, jurors returned from deliberations with a guilty verdict on three counts of rape of a child younger than 14 and one count of aggravated indecent liberties with a child. Jurors had the case for less than four hours.

“I have no doubt that we had a proper prosecution and the right person,” McGowan said.

Douglas County District Judge Sally Pokorny is scheduled to set a sentencing date for Stockton during a 9 a.m. Wednesday status conference.

McGowan said Stockton faces a sentence of 25 years to life in prison.

Comments

Richard Payton 4 years, 7 months ago

Before sentencing please waterboard this guy! Find out of any other children were his victims.

Bill Cushing 4 years, 7 months ago

Cut him as well so as to avoid a repeat.

misseve 4 years, 7 months ago

Ricci Moyer 4 years, 7 months ago

JimmyJoeBob 4 years, 7 months ago

The mother tried to protect Raymond during the trial. She needs to be looked at

Kstockton 4 years, 7 months ago

no she don't and that is my mother you are talking about. so watch what you say... BACK OFF MY PARENTS NOW!!!!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 7 months ago

The odds are good that he was also abused as a child. Let's hope his victim(s) get all the help they need to recover from the damage he has inflicted.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 7 months ago

I call B.S bozo. I was abused as a child and I have never commited such a act against another.

Lisa Rasor 4 years, 7 months ago

Not B.S., artichokeheart. It's often true that adult abusers were themselves abused as children.
It is also true that the majority of adults who were abused as children do NOT become abusers themselves. So you are in the majority, arti. As am I.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 7 months ago

Or how about this, it doesn't have anything to do with previous abuse. The guy is just a sick P.O.S.

geekyhost 4 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. Even if he were a victim of abuse as a child, he made the decision to perpetrate that abuse on someone else. It doesn't excuse anything.

Lisa Rasor 4 years, 7 months ago

That's true. But neither bozo nor I were trying to make excuses for the perpetrator; it was just an observation that the collateral damage of childhood abuse often impacts the next generation. I hope the girl receives good therapy. (And no, I'm not implying she'll grow up to be an abuser. Therapy will help her become a healthy adult in spite of what happened to her.)

geekyhost 4 years, 7 months ago

Not everyone who was sexually abused goes on to abuse someone else, thank goodness, but most sexual abusers were victims themselves. http://www.allaboutcounseling.com/sexual_abuse.htm#sa4

Graczyk 4 years, 7 months ago

It is not true that most sexual abusers were victims themselves, though it is true that the number of sexual abusers that have experienced abuse as a child is higher than the general population.

This is a summary of a study that appeared in the Lancet. I would have linked directly to that, but I don't have the link saved on this machine. http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20030206/do-sexually-abused-kids-become-abusers

I also have another study that suggests that only 30% of abusers were abused themselves. Hanson, R.K. and S. Slater Sexual Victimization in the History of Sexual Abusers: A Review. Sex Abuse. 1998 (1):485

geekyhost 4 years, 7 months ago

Interesting. The WebMD link does not address the percentage of abusers who were themselves abused, unless I missed it, but here's the link to the abstract of the second study: http://sax.sagepub.com/content/1/4/485.abstract

geekyhost 4 years, 7 months ago

Kstockton 4 years, 7 months ago

yes it happened to my dad... so lay off him

Amy Heeter 4 years, 7 months ago

So? Just because someone did something to him it does not give him a free pass to do it to others. There is no excuse for this. It has to stop. It was his responsiblity as a parent to make that happen.. He failed. I still hope he rots.

TheEleventhStephanie 4 years, 7 months ago

Gee, Kstockton, do you think that makes it okay?

bigdave 4 years, 7 months ago

intheknow 4 years, 7 months ago

As a mother of young girls, my stomach turns at the thought of disgust such as this. I'm sure he has his own damage, but to take it out on an innocent such as this is the lowest form of human behavior.

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

Throw him in with the general prison population.

Majestic42 4 years, 7 months ago

Pedophiles are always the first to go in prison. Lowest circle of hell.

Clark Coan 4 years, 7 months ago

All serious offenders need to be placed on an island in the South Pacific. Give them some tools and seeds, and let them create their own community. A satellite can watch to see they don't escape. It could turn out like Lord of the Flies but maybe not.

Bob Harvey 4 years, 7 months ago

Quivira, as odd as it sounds I agree with you 100%. Why should the public have to fund the existence of this cretin for the next 30 years of so. England had it right in the 19th century, although Australia was probably too much land. Surely there is an island somewhere in the North Atlantic where these guys can be sent.

Brad Maestas 4 years, 7 months ago

What does Aime Mitchell from Baldwin have to do with this case? I see no connection. Back to this, how disgusting is this? I agree that castration would be fitting. I also agree with Quivira and Pleiku regarding the long-term placement of these individuals. Reducing the costs involved in their incarceration including letting them fend for themselves in isolated wilderness (a quite natural environment befitting such an animal) sounds good to me.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 7 months ago

There is way more to it than that. Not sure how to get the information up here without it getting deleted though.

Brad Maestas 4 years, 7 months ago

Oh. I had no idea. I had only this article to draw upon and she wasn't mentioned at all. Duly noted.

BlackVelvet 4 years, 7 months ago

Majestic42 4 years, 7 months ago

BlackVelvet 4 years, 7 months ago

Majestic42 4 years, 7 months ago

MasterShake 4 years, 7 months ago

Amy McGowan deserves a lot of credit for successfully prosecuting this.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 7 months ago

DA here will not got to trial without an open and shut case. They probably plead cases out to often, but this must have been an easy case.

Kstockton 4 years, 7 months ago

candaceflynn 4 years, 7 months ago

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

I believe they still segregate the child molesters from the general prison population.

mdrndgtl 4 years, 7 months ago

It's true, we are not allowed among the general populace.

tbaker 4 years, 7 months ago

Castration followed by life in "general population." Thats about right.

slowplay 4 years, 7 months ago

Good point, but only castrate "Marcus".

Kstockton 4 years, 7 months ago

CheyenneWay 4 years, 7 months ago

This comment was not removed by the site staff for no violation of the usage agreement.

garyr 4 years, 7 months ago

I agree. I think the mother should be looked at as well. Just a little something about her that seems a little off. As with him, don't drop the soap. Or, actually, please drop the soap. About twice a day if possible. Yes, but don't overlook the mom!

babygirl68 4 years, 7 months ago

I hope they give him LIFE he doesn't deserve to have any joy brought to him by his children. never ever be able to hold a grandchild in his arms, walk any of his girls down the isle to the man they fall in love with. This man is sick sick! He over powers women who don't have any self confidence. He has 8 children in this world 2 boys the 6 girls three women and only one of them has any smarts to her. He pulled the wool over everyones eyes. The child stood up to protect her younger sister remember there are 5 other girls the mother at that time was upset and wanted him put away. They have the evidence they needed to put him away he admitted to it all! At first I was a non beliver sad to admitt I was friends with him and Aime wow how you really don't know someone at ll. But I know the truth. And for YOU to tell your child to with draw her statement you should be locked up too! You should have been charged with child endangerment times 4.

Kstockton 4 years, 7 months ago

Kstockton 4 years, 7 months ago

Get it right my dad has 3 boys and 5 girl... if you was friend with my dad you should know how many sons and how many daughters he has... wow... i still cant believe you talk to Amie.. i thought you cared about me... GUESS I WAS WRONG!!!!

someonewhoknows 4 years, 7 months ago

I would just like to clarify some things...First of all Raymond has never been charged for the 3 year old that he assaulted and molested!!! Second Aime is doing time because she willingly came forward and told the DA that she was held against her will and forced to do things to her child that she would have never done. She was heald not only at knife point, but also at gunpoint and told that her child would be killed if she did not do as he told her or if she even ventured to tell anyone else. Aime only knew and lived with Raymond Stockton for 8 months prior to his arrest in July of 2007, so lets do the math here Aime was not around for the prior 3 years! Aime is doing her time because she finally did feel safe enough to come forward and tell what she knew. I want everyone to think about this realisticly what you would do if someone had threatened to kill you and your chilren and your family. You would have done the same as she did. The real issue here Miss Kstockton is tell the whole truth and not have truthes before others lives are destroyed. After all Aime was not around the whole time that you are claim things happened. If you would have come forward sooner the 3 year old's life would not have been destroyed. So I really do beleive the mother needs to be looked at!!

Kstockton 4 years, 7 months ago

Amie lived with us before she live with my dad and my dad was around. so don't push the issues with me. Thank you

someonewhoknows 4 years, 6 months ago

for kstockton, your are truly more disturbed then even you are willing to admit. I do understand your mother physically abused you with a paddle if you did something wrong. I do pray someday your life will get better