Archive for Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Gill names Webb starting QB for Saturday

Junior lineman Hatch also to return to starting lineup

Kansas quarterback Jordan Webb takes off on a run against the North Dakota State defense during the fourth quarter, Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010 at Kivisto Field. The Jayhawks came up short in their season opener, dropping the contest 6-3.

September 8, 2010

Jordan Webb to start against Georgia Tech

KU redshirt freshman Jordan Webb will start this game in place of Kale Pick. Enlarge video

On Friday, red-shirt freshman quarterback Jordan Webb and junior offensive lineman Jeremiah Hatch took a moment to discuss how difficult it was to be on the bench to start the 2010 season.

“He told me before the game, ‘Jordan, I’m hurtin’ man, I want to be out there,’” Webb said of Hatch. “And I just told him, ‘I know, Hatch, me, too. We just gotta keep playing, and we’ll get our chance.’”

Little did either Jayhawk know his chance would come so quickly.

Wednesday after practice, Kansas University football coach Turner Gill announced that Webb would be the starting quarterback when the Jayhawks host Georgia Tech at 11 a.m. Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

And the guy who will be snapping him the ball? Yep, you guessed it.

Gill announced Hatch will start at center, and senior Sal Capra will move from center to left guard.

The news of Webb getting the nod comes as little surprise to most who have followed the program. Webb replaced starter Kale Pick in the fourth quarter of KU’s season-opening loss and, at the time, appeared to give the Jayhawks a spark on the field. Though Webb’s numbers were not drastically different than those Pick put up — Webb was 6-of-11 for 59 yards while Pick finished 13-of-22 for 138 yards and an interception — Gill said the guy with the stronger arm showed enough to earn the chance to start.

“If you look at the things that happened in the last game and overall at what’s going on, we thought (Webb) would give us the best opportunity at this point in time,” Gill said. “We feel good about what he’s done, and right now he deserves to get his opportunity.”

Gill informed the quarterbacks of his decision in a group setting during the day Wednesday. Just like last time, Pick, like Webb a few weeks ago, was not happy about the news.

“I think (he handled it) no different than Jordan did,” Gill said. “He was disappointed, not happy about it, which I guess, in some aspects, is a good thing. I hope that a person’s not happy when he’s not playing. That’s a competitor. And I know that Kale’s a competitor.”

Webb, on the other hand was ecstatic. Even though his team suffered one of the most embarrassing losses in school history Saturday, Webb’s postgame words carried with them a hint of optimism. Wednesday, that hint transformed into all-out enthusiasm.

“Obviously, I’m excited,” he said. “That’s what I wanted all along, that’s what everyone wants, to be the starter. Hopefully it’s something I can make the most of and run with.”

Asked if the task of taking on a nationally ranked team in his first college start would be too much to handle, Webb turned things around and spoke with confidence.

“It’s an awesome opportunity. It really is,” he said.

Hatch started all 12 games at center in 2009.

Senior right tackle Brad Thorson said Tuesday that Hatch had been working harder than ever during the past couple of weeks. Gill reiterated that point Wednesday.

“(Hatch and I) spoke on Sunday and a little bit on Tuesday and he expressed that to me that that was very difficult for him, standing on the sideline and watching his teammates play,” Gill said. “But he understood what the situation was, and he’s prepared to go out there and play this week.”

Added Webb of his center: “He’s hungry, he’s real hungry.”

The move means that senior captain Capra will slide over from center to left guard in place of Duane Zlatnik, who will be used as a reserve. Capra also started all 12 games in 2009, splitting time between the two guard positions.

Just because the Jayhawks named Webb their starter for Saturday’s game does not mean that the quarterback position is settled. Gill said Wednesday that Webb and Pick could play against Georgia Tech and stressed that the evaluation process was ongoing.

“It wasn’t necessarily things that Kale didn’t do because there were multiple things that were happening,” Gill said of the reason a change became necessary. “A lot of it wasn’t just because of the quarterback. We’re not going to sit here and say (Pick) will go in at this time, but I would say there’s a good chance that he will get some playing time.”

Jayhawks ready to move on

Last week’s loss to North Dakota State stuck with the Jayhawks for a good chunk of the days that followed it. But, by Tuesday, the Jayhawks were ready to move on.

Said senior cornerback Chris Harris of the challenge of facing No. 15 Georgia Tech: “Winning this game, that would kind of throw the last game away. This is a very big game for the program. We need it.”

Added sixth-year senior running back Angus Quigley: “There has to be a sense of urgency. That was the whole thing after we let the game go: Let’s gameplan with a sense of urgency.”

Sands seems OK

Red-shirt freshman running back Deshaun Sands, who logged a team-high 10 carries in the opener, appeared to make it through all of Wednesday’s practice. Gill said Tuesday that Sands was “very questionable” for Saturday’s contest.

Not worth listening to?

In the wake of last weekend’s loss, message boards and websites everywhere were loaded with negative things to say about KU’s team, its coaching staff and even some individual players.

Gill discussed how he addressed such things with his team.

“We talked about that even in the preseason camp,” he said. “I’ve always prepared them for things that are going to happen during the season so it won’t be a shock, it won’t be a surprise to them when those things occur. You gotta give them information as far as how they’re supposed to handle this.”

Dubious honor

Kansas made headlines last weekend for being one of the most high-profile programs to fall victim to an upset during Week 1. The negativity did not stop with the coverage from Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Wednesday, ESPN.com college football writer Mark Schlabach revealed his first “Bottom 10” rankings for the 2010 season. There, in a tie for fifth place with Ole Miss, were the Jayhawks, of which Schlabach wrote: “The Rebels’ D looked silly chasing around the Gamecocks, and the Jayhawks’ pathetic performance on offense was even worse.”

Comments

truthhurts 3 years, 10 months ago

Exactly - and it's not just QB. There have been wholesale changes all over the field. I agree Jihadist - I wish him well and Rock Chalk, etc. but I am not optimistic.

ghostofrealityspeaks 3 years, 10 months ago

Gee whiz.!!!! Pick played no worse than Webb. Maybe an overhaul of the offensive line who gave him absolutely no time to throw. I was a big fan of the Gill hire but must say I'm already beginning to think this was a major mistake. I'm all about being a man of faith and leading by example but he seems to focus way too much on that and now hearing his players say he's laid back causes me great concern. Webb is not the answer, he will do no better and I see two interceptions and many sacks. We couldnt beat a team from 1-AA that went 3 -8 last year. Gill flunked everything on saturday and I see a 45-10 whoopin on Saturday.

Kevin Randell 3 years, 10 months ago

LOL...I think I remember these same comments a few years back when Mangino switched from a QB Meier to another QB....who by chance lead Kansas to an Orange Bowl. Look, we all know this season is going to be rough. NO quaterback can look good when the O-line blocks the way it did Saturday. Bottom line, I saw Pick NOT pull the trigger several times. I say give it a shot....if it doesn't work out then we can always go back....

jaywalker 3 years, 10 months ago

It's gonna be a long year, but I figured that even before the NDSU debacle.

Bud Stagg 3 years, 10 months ago

Pick did not even see the open guys. He was out of sync with his offense, you can see it on the replays. However this is the least of the problems.

BruceWayne 3 years, 10 months ago

3 words...Jim Har Baugh. Gill was the wrong hire. Once a Husker always a Husker.

Kent Fisher 3 years, 10 months ago

jihadist is probably the same guy who erroneously reported that Pick had left the team yesterday.

It is irresponsible to make such claims without citing a source.

SnakeFist 3 years, 10 months ago

Message from Mangino: "Miss me yet?"

K-State lost several years with Prince, I think we're going to lose several years with Gill. I realize its only been one game, but it was a game he had forever to prepare for, against a cream-puff team, with everyone watching. If he couldn't win that one, I don't know what he can win. Wake me up when the new coach starts.

kujhawkfan 3 years, 10 months ago

Come on Coach Gill, you can't be serious about Webb. We are in deep trouble if you plan on using this kid. I mean he is a great vocal leader and that's about it. He is slower than dirt and doesn't know how to get out of his own way. Why aren't you running plays that utilize Pick's speed and athletic ability? We need to be running bootlegs, designed rollouts, and plays that utilize Pick's 4.5 speed. We have one of the fastest qb's in KU history and he just drops back in the pocket or hands off in the backfield. That was a poor game plan and you will not win in the Big 12 with a traditional offense and a traditional qb at Kansas. We don't have the athletes like OU, NU, or Texas to line up and just run the football down peoples throats and drop back with a traditional qb. OklahomaJayhawk don't compare this to playing Reesing over Meier. Reesing was successful because he could make things happen with his feet, Webb can't run! With poor offensive line play Webb will be a sitting duck. Pick was named the starter to begin the season because he's a better player period. You have to give the kid more than 3 quarters, people are trying to give you more than one game, but you are making it difficult. So if this experiment doesn't work by halftime what's next? Does Coach Long lose play calling abilities? Who knows maybe we would have won if you never would have pulled Pick on Saturday. You can't put poor coaching like using time your time outs instead of taking the 5 yard penalty, bad play calling, dropped passes, a blocked punt, and two missed field goals on Pick. I hope for a very short leash on Saturday, the future is not with Webb...

kujhawkfan 3 years, 10 months ago

Come on Coach Gill, you can't be serious about Webb. We are in deep trouble if you plan on using this kid. I mean he is a great vocal leader and that's about it. He is slower than dirt and doesn't know how to get out of his own way. Why aren't you running plays that utilize Pick's speed and athletic ability? We need to be running bootlegs, designed rollouts, and plays that utilize Pick's 4.5 speed. We have one of the fastest qb's in KU history and he just drops back in the pocket or hands off in the backfield. That was a poor game plan and you will not win in the Big 12 with a traditional offense and a traditional qb at Kansas. We don't have the athletes like OU, NU, or Texas to line up and just run the football down peoples throats and drop back with a traditional qb. OklahomaJayhawk don't compare this to playing Reesing over Meier. Reesing was successful because he could make things happen with his feet, Webb can't run! With poor offensive line play Webb will be a sitting duck. Pick was named the starter to begin the season because he's a better player period. You have to give the kid more than 3 quarters, people are trying to give you more than one game, but you are making it difficult. So if this experiment doesn't work by halftime what's next? Does Coach Long lose play calling abilities? Who knows maybe we would have won if you never would have pulled Pick on Saturday. You can't put poor coaching like using your time outs instead of taking the 5 yard penalty, bad play calling, dropped passes, a blocked punt, and two missed field goals on Pick. I hope for a very short leash on Saturday, the future is not with Webb...

Thats_messed_up 3 years, 10 months ago

brett conrad 3 years, 10 months ago

The Kansas QB will not make any difference against GTech, prepare for the beating, this game will be over at halftime. The defense will get ran over, this is not a juco we are playing this week.

jvinland 3 years, 10 months ago

In several posts many of you have requested changes be made to improve the team. Coach Gill has now made some changes in personal. One of two things will now happen, the changes will work or they won't! If they don't work it will be very obvious. Just let the Coach Gill do what he is paid to do, coach the Jayhawk Football Team.

gsxr600 3 years, 10 months ago

Will be a good weekend with the -14 spread and money in my pockets

KUnlv13 3 years, 10 months ago

My thoughts exactly. The -14 GTech line here in Vegas has yet to move, likely from low volume coming in for GTech, but I see that changing by Fri. Seems like pretty easy dough...

Steve Jacob 3 years, 10 months ago

Giving up 14 points on the road to a team that only gave up 6 points it's first game isn't that easy of call.

gsxr600 3 years, 10 months ago

Except that this team is a ranked opponent, with a quality team, that has their O and D together

greenworld 3 years, 10 months ago

I feel an upset brewing in lawrence on Sat. Webb is the right decision, this kid is a blue chip player and has 5 star rating. He probably will throw for 400 yards and 4 td's and wake up America. The jayhawk nation will be smiling after this Sat. Gill will be named coach of the year after this move. Jayhawk fans there is a new coach mangino in town and he doesnt need 100 twinkies to make a move in a game. Remember all the games Reesing lost and everybody was begging for a change and it didnt happen until the last game of the season when Ku was out of everything, well here is a change and a quick one. All I got to say is Georgia Tech is no North Dakato St so I hope the Hawks come prepared this time. The "A" game must come this time as opposed to the D or F game. And one other thing if our tight end makes any catches we might have a chance, we lost 21 points on his drops.

newmedia 3 years, 10 months ago

Wow! And I thought Santa Claus only came on Christmas! How dumb of me.

BruceWayne 3 years, 10 months ago

the QB is not the problem. the problem is Gill and the fact that Lew did not even look at other options. Lew has been quoted as saying he knew the first time he met Gill he would hire him one day as a head coach. last saturday was 100% total lack of preperation by gill and his staff. are the fans angry? you bet. i do not expect a bsc bowl victory every season. i do expect to see a victory on opening day against North Dakota School for Blind Bison. from what I have seen with the quarterbacks, they are pretty equal. I say start the one that had the best practice and gives the Jayhawks the best chance at winning. i am not going to beach and moan too much this week...Lew did resign and i feel that is the first step toward "rebuilding" the program.

ecilop 3 years, 10 months ago

I was really happy about the hiring of Coach Gill. He seems to have all of the quality's that Coach Mangino lacked. He is personable, well spoken, and very composed. But I was assuming that he also possessed the quality's that Coach Mangino had. A good eye for talent, a passion for winning, and most importantly the ability to push players beyond their comfort level physically. Sadly it appears that the team has regressed in every area. They are very happy and content in the knowledge that a lack of effort will not result in any type of consequences. When Coach Gill was interviewed at halftime of the game, he appeared to be in shock and clueless about what steps to take to prevent the impending loss. At that point I lost hope for the season. I hope that I am wrong but he looks to be over his head. I remember when Coach Mason came and turned around a dead program that had been led by a nice guy. We ran Coach Mason off because some people didn't like him, and we brought in Coach Allen. He was a really nice guy, but a TERRIBLE football coach. Six years of TERRIBLE TERRIBLE football followed! They brought in coach Mangino and he instilled discipline and pride into the team and victory's followed. However some people didn't like him so we ran him off. Now we have Coach Gill. A VERY VERY good man and a nice guy. Like Coach Allen, all the players like him and the administration finds him very easy to deal with. However his tenure starts out with the most embarrassing loss in my memory (53 yrs.). The offense looked like a junior high team with the play calling as simple and vanilla as any that I have ever seen. Now he appears to be unable to decide who should play where. Coach Gill said that he was going to prepare the offense to suit his players skills, but he did not run plays that let his QB excel. He is a running QB and where were the plays that allowed him to run? We had a great offensive line last year and they now appear to be one of the worst I've seen. Having said all of that, I hope that all of my worries are for naught. Go Hawks!!!

jhawkjjm 3 years, 10 months ago

I have zero faith in Gill at this point.

How can he say we're going to keep throwing to Biere who had a disasterous game, then not show the same patience with a new QB. Either 1) Gill and Long picked the wrong guy to start, which leads to questions about their ability to evaluate players, or 2) saying Pick was the QB and that he wasn't going to have a quick trigger was a lie. Either way Gill loses.

irvan moore 3 years, 10 months ago

I think it is the right choice to have Webb run the team but i think it should have been the choice from the get go. don't think much of reading in the paper Webb is estatic and Pick is very unhappy, coach should keep locker room stuff in the locker room, good substitution, now if we could put in Leech for Gill, hmmmmm.

drnater 3 years, 10 months ago

im sorry but all of you complaining are rediculous, its one effin game! one! the season just started, did you forget that mangino who your all saying bring back had the worst two seasons when our "best" class were jr's and sr's? now we lose 3 draft picks our starting qb for the past 3 years and our starting tailback, from a team who already looked bad enough last year and expect this squad to be the Jayhawks of 08? All of you complaining are the epitome of fairweather fans and its embarrassing to the school and community! right now these guys need our support not a barrage of criticism from a bunch of dimwitted sissy nannys (yes I went there) who couldn't even coach a flag football team. yes, we have talent, yes we looked like a team that was lost, but didn't the chiefs look he same way 2 years ago when Haley took over? Mangino is gone, get over, were not getting Leech, so give a lil support to what we have a group of coaches who are trying there best to win, while using a bunch of players who don't necessarilly fit their style of play. you so called fans make philly fans sound like angels!

BruceWayne 3 years, 10 months ago

this from the person that thinks Lew Perkins hung the moon.

anonyname 3 years, 10 months ago

Since 1967, records of coaches in their first year here: 1967: Pepper Rodgers. First game loss 21-20. 5-5 season. (Previous year 2-7-1.) 1971: Don Fambrough. First game win 34-0. 4-7 season. (Previous year 5-6.) 1975: Bud Moore. First game loss 18-14. 7-5 season. (Previous year 4-7.) 1979: Don Fambrough (again). First game loss 24-0. 3-8 season. (Previous year 1-10.) 1983: Mike Gottfried. First game loss 37-34. 4-6-1 season. (Previous year 2-7-2.) 1986: Bob Valesente. First game loss 20-0. 3-8 season. (Previous year 6-6). 1988: Glen Mason. First game loss 27-14. 1-10 season. (Previous year 1-9-1.) 1997: Terry Allen. First game 24-0 win. 5-6 season. (Previous year 4-7.) 2002: Mark Mangino. First game 45-3 loss (to Iowa State!). 2-10 season. (Previous year 3-8.)

Nine first-year-here coaches. 2-7 in first games, nearly always scheduled against poor teams. One barely winning season, one .500 season, seven losing seasons.

My point: nearly all coaches in their first year at a school have a relatively crappy year, not just at KU but anywhere. They're usually not coming into a good situation, or else the previous guy would still be around. They often want to implement a new system, which the previous coach's players may or may not be well-suited for. Yes, the loss last Saturday was beyond embarrassing. I'm not ready to throw Gill to the wolves until he's had 3-4 years to set up things the way he wants them. If the team sucks then, time to find somebody new. For now...patience.

Richard Payton 3 years, 10 months ago

Kansas Football has an offensive and defensive coach that has head coaching experience. Does any other Big 12 team have 3 coaches with Div 1 head coaching experience? My quess is not likely. Gill, Long and Tobush will do their best to change the last years disappointing 5-7 season around. Patterson and Webb need to connect a few times to give the Hawks a chance.

greenworld 3 years, 10 months ago

Two things that must happen or Ku wont win a game all year and you can hold me to this. Opurum must get moved back to RB. He scored way to many Td's for us last year to not have him there. The current Rb's are lacking size. speed and heart. Opurum already has the body , speed and heart and needs to be utilized this way. The other thing that you must realize is I only heard Jonathan Wilson's named mentioned like once or twice. This kid needs 5-10 if not 15 catches a game for us to be successfull. If Patterson was the answer than he would have won the game for us and he didnt do that. So let's focus on the guys last year that stood out head over heals and the two I mentioned above. Sometimes you do have to look at last year and see who really did what for us and utilize them. The defense played really well but can someone other than Justin Springer make a tackle. I noticed he was in on about every tackle , although that is what your linebacker is suppose to do , can he get some help guys. Last, Quigley- Im calling you out as I said you were the real deal in a previous post, please dont make me retract my statement. Isnt Quigley a 5th year senior, If you are that old you should be running over people which takes me back to my previous statement that if Quig's isnt going to work out due to lack of size and no heart than Opurum is patienctly waiting I am sure and can produce. Dont worry about our Qb's as they are work in progress but both could be pretty good someday.

boknowssports 3 years, 10 months ago

you can say this coach or that coach lost his first game.....but this was a game against a D2 team on our home field. My problem with Gill is he did not have his team motivated or prepared. His offense was offensive, as plain vanilla as it gets. Secondly, not once this week has he taken any responsiblility for not having his team prepared. He hung it all on the players for not executing, which was part of it for sure, but a good coach admits when he and his coaches have failed as well. This man needed a minimum of one other job before getting a shot in the big 12. He is not the answer and this season will show that. No, this display was more than "just one game"....

drnater 3 years, 10 months ago

first of all its not a d-2 school its an fcs formerly known as D-1AA. the difference is NDSU could play in the NCAA tournament, a D2 school cannot. so now that you've shown your lack of knowledge for what kind of team we played, maybe you should change your name to doesn't know sports. however, according to your theory we shouldn't even play the rest of the season. might as well just forfeit the rest of the games and gill should just resign. matter of fact we should just disassemble the whole team and coaching staff, then bring in all transfers and freshmen, that way you can realize what you say not only shows you don't know sports it shows that what you say is merely offensive. the vanilla playcalling is most likely due to the fact that the offense doesn't know the playbook yet. how can you blame the players not getting hyped on a coach? they are playing D-1 football, they should be jacked to play just to get to step foot on that field on saturdays! especially in the 1st game of a new season. Also you must not have read any articles previous to the 1st game. Gill and the other coaches raved about how the team was ready to play. So where did this change in between the frida they were ready and saturday when all of a sudden they werent? Even Quigley came out and stated that it was on the players, idk what team hat was that played on saturday but I looked nothing like the team I saw in the spring game. That didn't look like a team that Giill was excited to show off, and from what I've seen of Gill he doesn't say things he doesn't mean. so since he is the coach and said they were ready I will believe him way before I believe some shmuck who doesn't even know the difference between D-2 and FCS. the bottom line is the team thought they could come out and just do what they wanted with the team because they were "inferior," this isn't the coaches fault, he had a set gameplan and the team came out flat and didn't play like they should have. is it coach k's fault that in the last fiba world cup team usa lost because they thought all other teams were inferior? I think not, so to blame all of this on the coaches is absurd. theres only so much a coach can do to prepare his team, then it gts put on the team. even with the most basic of plays you should be able to gain yards and score points, that's where the offensive execution failed, and that's on the players for not doing their jobs!

boknowssports 3 years, 10 months ago

if you think Football Championship Subdivision teams should be able to come into our house and hold us to three points, you need to put down your crack pipe. I called them D2 cause they are that pathetic, sort of like your failure to understand Gill did not have this team prepared. They have not learned the playbook yet?...LOL!!!!! That is classic! You are beyond hope.

So the other team should be jacked cause they are playing someone great (sounds like Kale Pick's remark) and we should just got through the motions?? Sorry pal, this one is on the coach. Guess we will see how Saturday turns out? I'm sure no matter what the outcome, you will still believe Gill is the next Vince Lombardi and our players suck.

greenworld 3 years, 10 months ago

Players play and coaches coach. mangino never had that problem motivating his players and that's why he isnt here anymore cuz some of his players cried like little beaches. One thing you never saw out of Mangino was him losing to any chumps though. Gill , just a thought you might have to actually yell at a few of your players its okay as long as you dont hit them.

drnater 3 years, 10 months ago

haha, that amuses me. im sure Michigan had that same mentality when they got beat by appalacian st. at home. (an fcs team) im not sure where you get the vince lombardi comment either, I just don't understand how you can bash a coach after one game. once again you forget Mangino got smoked by Iowa St. his first game and they haven't been good for a long time. as far as knowing the playbook, your knowledge of d-1 college football continues to astound me, this isn't high school they run more than 5 different sets, an average college playbook can run from about 10 different formations, with any number of sub-packages. Its what I call the Bubby Brister effect, when Elway got hurt they limited the playbook to about 40% of what it was, as it is the 1st summer & spring of ball it is difficult to learn a full size playbook reguardless where you play. You will argue though since you are all knowing in sports though. Funny how in an article I read today on the capitol-journal the very thing I stated is what a player was quoted saying. "we didn't match there intendity. they flat out played harder than us." im sure you'll chalk that up to them just saying it to justify the loss, but so far im the only one who has comments to back it up...