Archive for Thursday, September 2, 2010

Baldwin City man charged in altercation with bicyclists south of Lawrence

A Baldwin City man was charged Thursday in connection with a crime that occurred in July. The man struck a bicyclist with his truck purposely while driving.

September 2, 2010

Scott Young

Scott Young

Douglas County prosecutors have charged a Baldwin City man in connection with a July 15 altercation with a group of bicyclists south of Lawrence.

Scott A. Young, 48, who was arrested Monday, faces charges of aggravated battery and criminal damage to property.

Prosecutors allege Young drove his pickup truck into the lead cyclist of a group of riders in the 1000 block of East 1400 Road. That cyclist was thrown from his bike. Bicyclists said the truck driver didn’t stop.

According to Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson’s office, sheriff’s officers canvassed the area for drivers fitting the description of the vehicle. Undersheriff Steve Hornberger said assistance from the cyclists was key in the investigation.

Young has posted $10,000 bond. His next court appearance is set for 3 p.m. Sept. 14.

Comments

kmgmaggie 2 years, 8 months ago

this man has anger issues; i know for a fact that several years ago he threatened to kill a young man and bury him where his family could never find him. not the first time i heard of bursts of anger.

oh yeah i have incountered cyclists, BIG GROUP more than "in single file" and the signs on the "back road from lawrence to baldwin that says "SHARE THE ROAD" is dumb. there is not room !
yeah they have the right to be there. but move over REMEMBER SINGLE FILE. DUH

MacHeath 3 years, 7 months ago

This has nothing to do with proper bike or driver courtesy. It was aggravated battery! If he had been standing by the side of the road and hit the dude with a bat, it would amount to the same thing! We could feed all the world's hungry with all the red herrings being tossed around here.

powershopper 3 years, 7 months ago

puddleglum 3 years, 7 months ago

I ride single file, and I am courteous to all motor-vehicles. I also carry a gun while riding and I am willing to defend myself according to the letter of the law: meet deadly force with equally deadly force. have a nice weekend, and be courteous to cyclists and motorists alike. thankyou

kansasmutt 3 years, 7 months ago

Ban Bicycles from the roads :-) Thats my idea.

evilpenguin 3 years, 7 months ago

Why are drivers so impatient? I passed my driving test 3 months ago and have almost been hit 3 times by people who are being impatient i,e. don't want to wait to turn right at a red light, or when turning from a smaller road onto a larger road.

I'm sure people will so "ooh you've only been driving for 3 months, it must be your fault, inexperienced drivers.....yada yada yada" but actually, being so close to my test, I am in a better position than a lot of experienced drivers when it comes to knowing what is legal and what isn't. Not only that, I have formed no bad habits which it seems a lot of people do when they have been driving for a while.

Maybe if people took a minute to think about their safety, and the safety of others, they would be more vigilant and relaxed when they are driving and less prone to road rage and general impatience. It doesn't take much to be courteous to other people and obey traffic laws.

And don't even get me started on people who drive while talking on their cell phone, they are the worst of the lot!

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 7 months ago

I was reading today about some guy who was hit on the head by a meteorite.

Apparently he wasn't being "alert". Shame on him for going outside and not being on the lookout for meteorites. Didn't his mother tell him the world needs more lerts?

I pity the low opinion of humanity some of you have, to think a cyclist should "be alert" for some doofus trying to run him off the road. No matter where this cyclist had been on the road, from the looks of it he was a target and there was no defense. You people must walk down the street under the assumption you are going to get mugged at any moment.

What a sad way to live.

angelmom 3 years, 7 months ago

I have also known Scott for years, he is a great guy. I don't know the circumstances of the situation, but I am a cyclist. I have only road on the roads a few times because of the traffic. I ride alone in single file, I have been very close to being hit by a semi who didn't move over. I was on the shoulder and wearing highly visable clothing. I'm sorry to hear about things like this, I'm glad the person who was hit is not seriously hurt. Until Scott's trial, we really shouldn't judge him.

garyr 3 years, 7 months ago

Beth Bird 3 years, 7 months ago

Wow ........I am not excusing Mike's behavior but there are always two sides to the story - It is innocent until proven guilty, right? Give him a chance.

jayhawkrider 3 years, 7 months ago

Funny thing is that a magazine just rated Lawrence THE #1 place in the country to train for triathlons!!! And the big reasons for that are the hills, the good roads, funky fun community, etc. I love coming home from TX and riding and running in Lawrence! These road rage issues are definitely not unique to Lawrence, and this comes up in every single city with all of the same tired arguments. Is someone's life honestly worth the extra 30 seconds it takes to slow down and go around a group of cyclists?!?! The same driver impatience issue is why most states institued a double fine rule in construction zones...because people can't or won't slow down and too many construction workers get killed. To the previous question about why people ride on the road vs bike paths....you would be hard pressed to get 50-60-70 miles on a bike path, and serious cyclists are typically a hazard to the recreational users on the path (dog walkers, kid meandering all over the path, joggers with headphones). Kids and dogs are unpredictable, and it's hard to go from 20MPH to nothing when one of them dodges onto the trail in front of you.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 7 months ago

It is shocking that some people continue to think this poor cyclist could have somehow prevented this accident.

I guess some folks who post on these stories must have superpowers. The rest of us are just fools getting run down by pickup trucks.

none2 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't understand these comments about the looks of the accused.

Would you all be happier if he was smiling? Would he be less guilty if he was wearing a coat, shirt, and tie? Are you upset because he has a pony tail? What he did was inexcusable. What he looks like is irrelevant to his crime.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 7 months ago

I'd say to treat a group of cyclists as one would a car,tractor,combine or a road grader moving slower. It's called waiting until it is safe to pass.

Otherwise it is reckless driving with intent to kill or injure. Road rage is not acceptable behavior.

Lindsey Buscher 3 years, 7 months ago

Ha! I think he looks like how we all probably pictured him. Jackass.

easyliving 3 years, 7 months ago

Wellman road is 45mph in Douglas county, once you get over the hill North of Midland it turns to 55mph. And you obviously have not driven Wellman road countless times, take it all the way North to Winchester. Simple fact- some roads are not bike friendly.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 7 months ago

A guy on a bike has no defense against an individual in a truck who purposefully hits him with the vehicle.

There is no way to be alert for that. That's like saying you can be alert for being attacked by a bear. You can take precautions, but if you stumble across a bear and she decides to attack, your screwed.

To say otherwise shows you are either ignorant or just hateful. Likely you are both.

acg 3 years, 7 months ago

He has that "I'm a serious prick" look about him, doesn't he? Look at his face and into his eyes. This guy is a boil on the ass of humanity, hands down, and he deserves to lose his license forever.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 7 months ago

There's no way to "be alert" for a pickup truck that swerves into you, just as there is no way to "be alert" for being struck by lightening. You can take precautions, but there is no precaution for this situation.

Some of you people would blame the federal employees in OKC for going to the office. It was obviously a target for a crazy man with fertilizer in his van.

rdkone 3 years, 7 months ago

The sad fact is that there are a lot of morons on the road. Unfortunately, cyclists must assume the worse since collisions aren't good for the cyclist. It is a good bet that a large percentage of drivers are distracted at any given time - cell phones, texting, etc., - not to mention sleep deprivation, drugs, and alcohol. Then one also must worry about the aggressive driver, the inexperienced driver, and the elderly driver. No matter how many "share the road" signs are put up, there is significant risk involved for the cyclist to be in the vincinity of a moving vehicle. Although many drivers are careful and courteous it is best for the cyclist to assume the worse. Avoid the roads if you can, if not be extremely careful.

thuja 3 years, 7 months ago

Ride on. Be safe out there, y'all. Drivers and riders alike.

Chris Golledge 3 years, 7 months ago

Most of this has no bearing on the matter, if you intend to hit a person with a vehicle, that's attempted homicide.

Battery, what? Everyone knows that vehicle on person often results in dead person.

It sure sounds like this was the same incident http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/jul... and I don't know how likely it is that someone threatens to do something, then they do it, and it was really an accident.

This guy must think he's pretty important if a few moments of his time is worth more than the life of another person.

BigPrune 3 years, 7 months ago

Not trying to defend this guy at all, but why do bicyclists ride in the road when we have $10 Million dollars worth of bicycle lanes that are far better than our roads. It's nice to drive a car on a bumpy asphalt street then look at the 10' wide concrete bike paths that essentially nobody uses sitting right next to the street, sometimes on both sides of the street.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm a big fan of the commenters who suggest that the bike rider should be more alert for trucks that purposefully run into them.

That's like saying you should be more aware of being struck by lightening. If your argument is that by riding a bike you are just asking to be run over, then you are a fool and also a hater of America and our system of laws.

If you don't like our great nation and our representative democracy, then you are free to move to China where you'll fit in better. I love my country and I won't have it torn down by anarchists like you.

jstthefacts 3 years, 7 months ago

ljw gone wild, just post it anywhere, it doesn't really matter. jeeze

biggunz 3 years, 7 months ago

Just knew this story would be blowing up with comments from the usual holier than thou folks.

easyliving 3 years, 7 months ago

I can share the road with cyclists, no problem. When I pass I try and give plenty of room, try to slow down so I don't blow them off the road or scare the crap out of them.

I might suggest that "you" whomever sets up the "group ride" chose the route more wisely. For example; (Wellman Road) Not a great road to share with bikes. The straight sections of road are fine, but you get a little further North and there are no shoulders and many hills/curves. Not unusual crest a hill (going 55mph) and meet a few bikes in your lane (going 18mph), with cars in the other lane (going 75mph). So my options are limited, lock up the brakes (usually what I go with),the squeeze play or the ditch.

This is not the only crappy "narrow" road in Douglas/Jefferson/Shawnee counties. I'm sure there is a list of roads that are not cycle safe? Maybe like ski slopes, "Oh Wellman road is a black."

windex 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't even own a bike, much less ride one. I drive my car as much as the next guy, working, running errands, whatever. From what I can tell, the % of jerk car drivers drastically exceeds the % of jerk bike riders, but that's beside the point. The point is, if you assault someone with your pickup truck, you should be prosecuted for assault and possibly attempted murder. The bike rider who was hit it lucky to be alive and the driver of the truck did something criminal.

TheRedLIght 3 years, 7 months ago

I was told, 2nd hand information, that the driver passed all the riders, and turned around and drove back into the group lead rider. If this be the case, then what reason is anyone defending a person who creates a head on collision by driving on the wrong side of the road is insane. How can you defend their action? The driver is innocent until proven guilty but at least he has been charged and now it is a matter of the judicial system to handle it. Cyclists as well as drivers are their own worst enemies, we, cyclists, see other cyclists riding four or five abreast on busy roads during "Century Rides", we remind them to "Share the Road" and they do not get it. We who follow the rules, work with drivers of cars to share the road suffer because of these riders. So drivers who get outraged at other drivers should also know the cyclist get outraged at other cyclists but when you use your 1500 pound vehicle as a weapon, that is not a way to settle it.

RedRocket 3 years, 7 months ago

Cyclists on roads is a fact of life these days. It's a good option as transportation. Drivers have long had roads mostly to themselves, and the vast majority cope well and cooperate sharing them with other users. It is the few exceptions whose anger seems to be a general problem for them who may make poor judgments while driving. How many of these drivers would speed through a school zone, however? Few probably since they value children as we all do. Yet there is a moral disconnect with an adult cyclist. The cyclist is somehow dehumanized, not worthy of due respect or even good manners. In cases such as this it is blatant antisocial behavior. The guy could have come to his senses 15-30 seconds later and stopped, and probably avoid arrest. It is the folks who have a dehumanized view of cyclists (just because some are unskilled or irresponsible cyclists) that are a threat. Oddly they threaten their own freedom if they feed off their anger and someone gets hurt or killed. Social contract means cooperation and compromise. It takes a mature adult to work and play well with others.

friendlyjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Bottom line to me is that the cyclist may not have been perfectly placed on the road BUT the truck driver assaulted him and that is against the law. Road rage is never, ever acceptable. I don't ride a bike and get annoyed by some that ride them but again road rage is never, ever acceptable. (although I am sure that some on here will come up with a ridiculous scenario to show that it is.)

riverdrifter 3 years, 7 months ago

If the accused is the guy I think it is, he's disabled. FYI

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 7 months ago

What bicylist would even want to ride on the highways and streets around here? Really, they don't have good sense either.

Fear_Completes_Me 3 years, 7 months ago

What was the cyclist wearing that night--maybe he was asking to be hit? Did the driver of the truck buy him dinner first? And was the cyclist drunk? And when was the last time the cyclist... went for a ride? Hmmmm.

notajayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

"officers canvassed the area for drivers fitting the description of the vehicle"

So ... they were searching for people that looked like pickup trucks?

wakarusan 3 years, 7 months ago

As a long-time cyclist, I just do not understand the brains it takes for people to ride two abreast on the 2 lane, no shouldered hilly roads around Lawrence, or in fact anywhere. You weigh maybe 200 pounds, if that. A car weighs 2500 pounds or more. It does not take a rocket scientist to say who usually wins that battle. Even though the law says it is ok, is your life worth the risk?

57chevy 3 years, 7 months ago

Its fascinating to see how people in Kansas see each other. The people who drive on the roads see all bicyclists as one person. THEY ride side by side. THEY are lackadaisical and don't stay to the right. I would point out that there is likely at least one person in the county who rides a bike, by him self, stays right, and uses a mirror. Using the current model that all bikers are the same, next time a biker pisses you off, find the solo rider doing everything right and beat the crap out of him. I guess if I ever get harassed by a guy in a car while on a bike ride, I should just pull into a parking lot somewhere and beat the crap out of the first person that gets out of a car. Oh, thats right. I'm not from here. Never mind. I'll just be sensible instead.

skinny 3 years, 7 months ago

I wouldn't have a problem if the bicyclist rode on the right side of the road single file like they are supposed too! Instead they ride 3 or 4 wide and block the highway. Which in turns upsets everyone going 55 or 60 MPH having to slow down to 5 or 10 miles an hour.

Something to think about!

Curtis Lange 3 years, 7 months ago

My original comment was a violation? Bwahahahahahaha. Didn't realize everyone had to bow down and worship the cyclists and hate everyone that drives a car. Muh bad.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 7 months ago

It's incumbent upon a driver of a 3000 lb. vehicle to be on constant alert to cyclists who are sometimes in your lane. Sometimes it won't always fall in favor of the cyclists, who seem to not care that they are 2-3 feet out in the lane. I live off hwy 32 and I always give them ample space, but there has been times they have presented a danger to themselves and me with their seemingly lackadaisical attitude of their whereabouts. This guy seemed to want to hit them, but has not been proven. It's his story against 6-7 very likely green, peace-loving cyclists. Good luck Scott.

pooter 3 years, 7 months ago

Since everyone loves to rush to judgement lets just forget about him getting a fair trial and take him down to the town square and horse whip him instead.

diamondhead 3 years, 7 months ago

Would not have cost him a dime to give a little courtesy and a little space on the road. Instead he targeted a guy on a bike for some reason. Hope it costs him a fortune and is covered in the news to send a message to the like minded.

Curtis Lange 3 years, 7 months ago

pizzapete 3 years, 7 months ago

Glad they caught this idiot, I hope they pull his license for a year or two.

1southernjayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

This guy is a real scumbag who could have killed a young man for no reason whatsoever other than some unknown rage not caused by the cyclist.

kusp8 3 years, 7 months ago

all I wers trying to do wad ged dem der dirty hippies and dem der dirty commie bicycles of my amerrican streets