Advertisement

Archive for Friday, October 15, 2010

Cause of rural house fire southwest of Lecompton blamed on electrical problem

Officials determined electrical problems were to blame for a fire that gutted a Lecompton home on Thursday. The fire caused $150,000 in damage.

October 15, 2010

Advertisement

An electrical problem with a refrigerator in the garage caused a fire that destroyed a home southwest of Lecompton Thursday afternoon, fire officials said.

H. Wayne Riley, chief of Lecompton Fire-EMS, said Friday that firefighters suspect the fire started with either a short-circuit electrical problem in the wall next to the refrigerator or a problem with the refrigerator itself. Fire crews on Thursday said high winds caused flames to spread quickly from the garage.

Riley said the home sustained an estimated $150,000 in damage and was believed to be a total loss. No one was injured.

Homeowners Jesse and Debbie Robbs have said they hope to rebuild on the same site, which is just east of the Shawnee County-Douglas County line.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.