Archive for Sunday, March 28, 2010

Palin to tea party rally: Don’t sit down or shut up

March 28, 2010

Sarah Palin speaks Saturday at the “Showdown in Searchlight” tea party rally in Searchlight, Nev.

— Sarah Palin told thousands of tea party activists assembled in the dusty Nevada desert Saturday that Sen. Harry Reid will have to explain his votes when he comes back to his hometown to campaign.

The wind whipped U.S. flags behind the former Alaska governor as she stood on a makeshift stage, holding a microphone and her notes and speaking to a cheering crowd. She told them Reid, fighting for re-election, is “gambling away our future.”

“Someone needs to tell him, this is not a crapshoot,” Palin said.

At least 9,000 people streamed into tiny Searchlight, a former mining town 60 miles south of Las Vegas, bringing American flags, “Don’t Tread on Me” signs and outspoken anger toward Reid, President Barack Obama and the health care overhaul.

Palin told them the big-government, big-debt spending spree of the Senate majority leader, Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is over.

“You’re fired!” Palin said.

A string of polls has shown Reid is vulnerable in politically moderate Nevada after pushing Obama’s agenda in Congress. His standing has also been hurt by Nevada’s double-digit unemployment and record foreclosure and bankruptcy rates.

The Searchlight native responded with sarcasm to the large crowd gathered in the hardscrabble town of about 1,000 he grew up in.

“I’m happy so many people came to see my hometown of Searchlight and spend their out-of-state money, especially in these tough economic times,” Reid said Saturday in a statement released through his Senate campaign. “This election will be decided by Nevadans, not people from other states who parachuted in for one day to have a tea party.”

It’s been called a conservative Woodstock, and took place just days after the historic health care vote that ushered in near-universal medical coverage and divided Congress and the nation. The vote was followed by reports of threats and vandalism aimed at some Washington lawmakers, mostly Democrats who supported the new law.

Comments

beatrice 4 years ago

gravitykills, why should thinking, rational people accept the lies of others? It isn't "bashing" an opposing view, it is bashing a lie. Guaranteed that seeing people accepting their food stamps when driving a new Caddie is a lie. Guaranteed.

I do love how miserable the righties are, however. Always afraid someone is going to get something from the government, to the extent that they would deny people healthcare. I just wonder how the right is going to embrace Mitt Romney when he chooses to run again, since the federal health bill just signed is quite similar to the one Romney passed in Mass. Yep, that one will sure play well in 2012.

Mike Ford 4 years ago

keep providing the uneducated chucklehead commentary penders. I'm laughing at you not with you.

May Bedtime with Bonzo, trickle down economic destruction, and cutting taxes to the point where there's no revenue left exist in your 1950's states rights revisionist Ozzie and Harriet life.

Katara 4 years ago

gravitykills (anonymous) says… Thousands of people abuse the system. Stand in front of any SRS building and watch the Bmw's and Cadillac’s roll in for their paycheck (or whatever aid they're getting). Seems quite odd. And many, many more people will now find it even easier to abuse the system. Someone who doesn't believe that... is naive. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_...

Someone who continues to believe in this myth ... is gullible.

BTW, why are you hanging out in front of a SRS building all day? Don't you have a job? Or at least a more productive hobby than loitering in front of a government building?

gravitykills 4 years ago

TheYouth (anonymous) says… ... Now, I sit here and watch the Health-Care bill pass to my dismay. I sit around with my fellow students who beg for handouts and "free healthcare", meanwhile they fail classes, go out and drink beer, and do not work. It's sickening to think that I will be paying for these people to have healthcare, thanks a lot Democrats for sh*tting on my youth and years to come. The sense of entitlement just irks me.

Oh, it is also funny to see a family roll up in a brand new Cadillac with dubs and subs to collect their food stamps."

It's amazing the number of people that come out and just bash you for speaking your mind! beobacher, beatrice, pallete, katara, momof2... I guess they aren't to fond of your way of thinking and desperately want to change you.

Propts to Vertigo's 8am post for something constructive.

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Dear Leader is closer to Pantone 138 than Pantone 433 2X. If he were converted to a pair of boots, he'd be dark saddle tan.

yourworstnightmare 4 years ago

"Yourworstnightmare, why do harp on his ethnicity?"

I am doing no such thing. I am harping on his race.

He is black. Barack Hussein Obama, a black man, is Commander in Chief of the US military and President of the United States of America.

yourworstnightmare 4 years ago

Fact:

He is your president, my president, and the president of every little cry-baby, selfish, puerile tea-bagger.

Choke choke, that binky is stuck deep. Accckkkkk.....

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

Yourworstnightmare, why do harp on his ethnicity? I don't care if he's white, black, yellow or red. I care that he's a radical transformationist. Are you subconciously suggesting that him being black is the driving force behind his radical far-left politics. If yes, then I get your point and understand your hunch. Good thinking!

yourworstnightmare 4 years ago

Makes you choke on your binky, doesn't it, right-wing cry-babies.

Corey Williams 4 years ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (anonymous) says… "He's a Halfrican at most."

Thanks for that, snap. Do you often fetch Rush's water for him, too?

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

nighty, keep in mind that half of Dear Leader's DNA came from a person of the Caucasian persuasion. After he was abandonded by his father, and then his mother, he was raised by the parents of said Caucasian mother. He's a Halfrican at most.

yourworstnightmare 4 years ago

A black man, Barack Hussein Obama, is Commander in Chief of the US military and President of the Unites States of America.

Suck on that binky, right-wing ball-garglers.

yourworstnightmare 4 years ago

Suck on that binky, right-wing ball-garglers.

SLOPOKE 4 years ago

Mr. Native; Palin is not making the REP. Party look bad; She probably,,is the best person the REP> has going for them>>?!!!:)

SLOPOKE 4 years ago

a_flock_of_jayhawks 4 years ago

Yeah, Jimo, I was thinking the same thing.

Palin: "You're fired! Oh, by the way, I quit!"

Priceless!

jbiegs 4 years ago

Hey nightmare....where are all the white women at? lol

yourworstnightmare 4 years ago

Barack Hussein Obama, a black man, is Commander in Chief and President. The democrats control the country.

A black man, Barack Hussein Obama.

Did I mention that he is black? The President? Barack Hussein Obama? Black man?

Oh yeah, and a black man, Barack Hussein Obama, is Commander in Chief of the US military and President of the Unites States of America.

He's black. A black man.

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Relax and have a popsicle, paulette. It's a cool and fruity treat on a spring day.

TrooGrit 4 years ago

Jimo, since you are so enlightened, perhaps you could share with our audience here, why she quit? I mean, she must have had her reasons, right?

Jimo 4 years ago

“You’re fired!” Palin said.

This from the most famous quitter alive.

mom_of_three 4 years ago

theyouth, I don't typically cast doubts on anyone's story, but i do kinda wonder about yours. When you filled out your fafsa, you have to list your family's income, especially if you are considered a dependent of your parents. For receiving unsub loans, means they expected your parents to contribute to your schooling. If your parents are not contributing to your school, maybe you need to fix that fafsa!

TrooGrit 4 years ago

I believe TheYouth. I myself worked at a grocery store many years ago, and the tales I could tell about people showing up dressed to the nines and driving big luxury cars, and then pull out food stamps to pay for cokes, candy, and twinkies! I know the PAD's on here don't think that goes on, but it does, and it's all part of this mentality that pervades the US right now that everyone is "owed" something. Get off of your fat, lazy rears and make something of yourself, before this socialistic administration takes it all away! Geesh.

jbiegs 4 years ago

Obama's gonna fix everything, we don't gots to work no more cuz hes gonna take care of all us. Those evil, rich people are gonna get what they got coming to 'em, it's not our fault they went to school, got an education, show up for work, pay their bills, etc. etc. We need some free handouts 'cuz we deserve it. entitlements for everyone I say! LOL Oh and Youth...I believe you about the food stamps, I have witnessed such events. I tried posting a week or two ago about food stamps and I got the same bs replys you have from the ususal characters.

Roland Gunslinger 4 years ago

Tom,

Technically yes, but the term "lunatic fringe" was used more in jest than you obviously have interpreted it. Would disenfranchised be more appropriate in your book? I think so... and probably would have been a better choice of adjective. Unfortunately that's not what popped up in my head at the time of writing.

In the same breath my use of : "I'm sure the people who did these deeds were not representative of the whole tea party" takes away those broad strokes by claiming the vast majority of tea parties are not lunatics, just the ones doing and inciting violence and hate speech directed at our legislators.

Sorry if you misinterpreted my satirical use of "lunatic", Tom.

See how easy it is to apologize?

beatrice 4 years ago

Da yute still hasn't explained how he can tell people are using food "stamps." I believe we know why.

Joe the Plumber called for violence this weekend while touring around with the tea party folks. Nice to see the baggers staying on message.

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

"...but rather the lunatic fringe of the lunatic fringe of the conservative party."

I think that more or less confirms my comment, doesn't it? This is all getting very confusing.....but the part saying , "...the lunatic fringe of the conservative party" is lumping tea partiers isn't it?

paulette2 4 years ago

student loans are great - up to a point.

some schools are now far too expensive.

paulette2 4 years ago

Dear Youth, in the way that you mention it we are already socialist.

go to you tube and type in Ben Cohen Federal Budget. the Dept. of Defense and all of its subcontractors, contractors, and hidden expenses consume more than 50% of our revenue all to pay for a global army with about 737 army bases across the planet. 1 of every 4 barrels of oil that America consumes is by the DOD. these pigs have been feeding at the trough far too long.

we already have socialism.....for the military industrial complex we die and are taxed to death, leaving much less money for everything else compared to other countries, anywhere.

grow up and best wishes, in 10 years trust me your view will change completely.

Roland Gunslinger 4 years ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (anonymous) says… So, Al after you chuck out that darned First Amendment, what's next?

Strawman ALERT!

I didn't see anything in Al's post suggesting Fox shouldn't be able to broadcast their views. The only thing I read was his opinion of what they are broadcasting.

Or maybe you're in favor of Al being stripped of his First Amendment rights, snap? What's next after that?

See how easy it is to throw up strawmen...

Roland Gunslinger 4 years ago

TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) says… "You won't get taken very seriously in life if you categorize everyone with broad strokes. "

After I got done chuckling over your comment, I have only two words for ya' Jesse:

Tea Party.

Thanks for bring that up, what have I said on this matter... let me see... oh yeah here it is: "The tea partiers are the fringe of the conservatives. And even the tea partiers have a fringe to them (racists, homophobes, birthers, truthers, etc). I'm sure the people who did these deeds were not representative of the whole tea party, but rather the lunatic fringe of the lunatic fringe of the conservative party."

No apology needed, Tom. I wouldn't expect one from you anyways, ya know, your lack of integrity and all that.

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

So, Al after you chuck out that darned First Amendment, what's next?

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

Good morning Big Al, ya' big ol' loveable lug ya'! Sorta reminds you of the Bush years, doesn't it? Only then, it was several dozen corrupt leftist lamestream media outlets, not just a handful. The hysteria and hatred were totally off the charts.

Wow!

Tea Party.

BigAl 4 years ago

The corrupt right-wing media is still at it preaching hate, fear and divisiveness. They are doing their very best to tear this country apart. FOX News, the internet, talk radio and other outlets are attacking President Obama all day long, every day. They simply cannot let him succeed or it may hurt their ratings. Despicable.

Whatever happened to "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself?"
FOX news apparently didn't get that memo.

Roland Gunslinger 4 years ago

TheYouth-

There will always be those that abuse the situation. But they are a vast minority. You won't get taken very seriously in life if you categorize everyone with broad strokes.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 4 years ago

TheYouth (anonymous) says…

"Unsubsidized student loans thank you very much."

First, congratulations for your effort in seeking higher education. It will serve you well if you take full advantage of it.

You're definitely not old enough to remember Reagan. There's a good chance that you wouldn't have your student loan available as an option in the early-mid eighties.

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

Defender, I've always enjoyed your company as an LJW neighbor! I'm not a huge beer drinker. But nothing is better than downing some cold brew with a burger or bbq or out on the lake.

Tom Miller 4 years ago

...rock on, campers...been amusing.

Katara 4 years ago

Oh BTW, TheYouth, unsubsidized student loans are federally guaranteed loans. You are not as bootstrappy as you think & if it is your parents that took the student loan out for you, that is a federal loan as well.

Katara 4 years ago

TheYouth (anonymous) says… Unsubsidized student loans thank you very much.

Of course Dillons will bring your bags to the car, all you have to do is ask. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Sure they are.

And, of course, these lazy food stamp recipients most definitely ask you to pack their groceries in their brand new Cadillac complete with dubs and subs. After all, they are already mooches. Why not ask the long suffering, hard working, middle class college student grocery bagger to cart all those groceries they receive for nothing out to that brand new car? I bet it completes their day and they laugh merrily about it the entire ride back to their vast estate.

headdoctor 4 years ago

TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) says… I'm not mad. Actually, I cut down a tree, cut/split it up, burned a huge brushpile from 2 winters ago, put a nice big roasting hen in the oven, hung a new American flag at the road, have some taters on the boil and am savoring a Jack and ginger ale right now with the bb game in the background. It's a beautiful day and I am excited about the future of America. What exactly does your username "headdoctor" mean? Are you a psychiatrist or.......???

Roasting a hen, huh. Is that what conservatives call crow now days. As for the name I am sure you will make out of it what you will. Here is a link that should be simple for you to relate to.

TheYouth 4 years ago

Unsubsidized student loans thank you very much.

Of course Dillons will bring your bags to the car, all you have to do is ask.

Katara 4 years ago

So, TheYouth, hardworker at the local grocer store that you are, how is it that you are able to be able to ring someone up to know that they are using food stamps yet are also able to be out in the parking lot to see what type of car the food stamp recipients are driving? Dillon's doesn't offer drive up service & the baggers don't bring the bags to your car.

BTW, TheYouth, been there, done that for working through school and I did it the bootstrappy way. I worked and saved and then went to school. When the money ran out, I took time off and worked & saved some more & went back. No loans whatsoever.

Damn moocher with your federally subsidized student loans.

TheYouth 4 years ago

What have you done to deserve a higher income? What company have you created? Redistributing wealth is what you want. Yes, please go with Michael Moore and create a socialist country somewhere else.

meggers 4 years ago

It appears that Palin doesn't mind "palling around" with terrorists after all.

Machiavelli_mania 4 years ago

Palin, you are dim-witted. I know you of old.

and along the same more violent lines:

A Surprise Tea-Party Confrontation By Richard L. Fricker March 28, 2010 http://consortiumnews.com/2010/032810d.html

paulette2 4 years ago

Europeans have managed to make sure most people have enough. While the poverty rate in the US is 17% and growing, its 5% in Finland, 6.6%in Sweden, and 8% in France. Crime rates are far lower in these countries too.

in 1988 2/3 of lage American employers offered health care benefits to retirees, the portion has fallen to 1/3 by 2004.

55% of Americans under the age of 30 think that they will end up being rich.

Tax laws and favoritism for that upper 10% since 1980 have resulted in a concentration of income and wealth that is not only higer than it has been since the 1920's but higher than that of A N Y of the world's other populations. again, excerpt from DEEP ECONOMY p 103.

paulette2 4 years ago

hey youthbagger!

you need to watch Michael Moore's new movie, Capitalism a Love Affair.

the top 1% of America have 95% of the wealth. the top 10% have 85% of all stocks & equity investments.

of the recent banking crisis 80% of the banking failures were caused by bad debt instruments on the lender / not the borrower side of the equation.

source Deep Economy by Bill McKibben (2009) the median wage in the US is the same as it was 30 years ago (older than you!). The real income of the bottom 90 percent of American taxpayers has declined steadily: they earned $27,060 in real dollars in 1979, $25,646 in 2005. Even for those with four year college degrees, and even though productivity was growing faster than it has in four decades, earnings fell 5.2 per cent between 2000 and 2004 when adjusted for inflation.

about the same income growth as Latin America over the same time period, no better-no worse. This is what you think is OK ?

what are you studying? i suggest some classes in L O G I C.

beatrice 4 years ago

Snap must think it is a Constitutional right to provoke others to commit acts of violence the way Palin has done.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 4 years ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (anonymous) says…

"It's amazing how much liberals hate to see Americans exercising their Constitutional rights."

Yeah, just like those two hecklers in Mesa yesterday.

Riiiiight.

You must not have old enough or been in America in the 60's-70's, eh?

beobachter 4 years ago

snap, seems we are. what's your problem with fact that right wingers such as you are considered nuts by most of us?

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

beobachter 4 years ago

theyouth, too bad you are so gullible that you believe the lies that Fox, the druggie, Beck feed you , reality eludes you. Exactly what do food stamps look like? Exactly how many cadillacs have driven up to collect these food stamps?. Exactly how long have you been buying into this BS? And finally, will you ever think for yourself? Kinda doubt you have ability to.;

beatrice 4 years ago

Theyouth, I've never worked in a grocery store nor needed to have food stamps. If you don't mind, what exactly do these "stamps" look like, and where was it that you saw a family collecting their stamps in their new Caddie?

beatrice 4 years ago

So all Republicans are members of the Tea Party, as Palin said recently while campaigning for McCain? Since Republicans aren't denying it here, I guess this is true. Good to know. Just one more thing to remember about the party of "NO" come No-vember.

No ideas, no plans, no way come No-vember.

Defender 4 years ago

"I'm not mad. Actually, I cut down a tree, cut/split it up, burned a huge brushpile from 2 winters ago, put a nice big roasting hen in the oven, hung a new American flag at the road, have some taters on the boil and am savoring a Jack and ginger ale right now with the bb game in the background. It's a beautiful day and I am excited about the future of America."

Dammit Tom, just when I don't want to like you, I think you might be my best friend that I don't personally know. You and I actually would agree on many, many, many points. But, do you drink good beer? Sorry, Jack and his friends make an a** out of me. Dark liquor bad, clear liquor good!

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

"He must be working on a new recipe or is busy being getting tea bagging mad over this." -headdoctor

TheYouth 4 years ago

Collect their food with their food stamps, obviously. I work at Dillons, see it all the time. Sorry I'm just tired of giving handouts to pregnant teens, people who do drugs, and those who cheat the system.

rbwaa 4 years ago

that would be me...especially the comment about rolling up in a cadillac to collect food stamps...nobody has 'collected food stamps' for years...in fact there are no food stamps...

TheYouth 4 years ago

Ha, wow, I am sitting in my room at Oliver Hall right now after finishing up my research paper and looking for some news. Fox News is a terrible place to go for that with all the right-wing talking points. You're probably one of those people I'm going to be paying to receive Health Care. I don't do drugs. I contribute. You don't think that middle-class Americans, especially my generation, are going to be paying for this the rest of their lives? It started with the Bush Administration bail-out plan, and now into Obamacare. If you don't think that big corporations are going to be passing down their higher costs to the everyday consumer you're dead wrong. Would I be angry at them for doing it? NO! It is their product and we, the consumer, give them the power. Just as we do with political officers. Maybe you, beobachter, should head back to college and get a real education, perhaps in Sociology or Economics. Though I don't recommend Gautam Bhattacharyya he is absolutely terrible.

beobachter 4 years ago

snap. made my day, still piss you off. youth, don't believe a single claim you make. Specially the BS about those showing up for food stamps in brand new cadillac. Stop listening to the druggie and Fox. Get a real education at KU, you might understand real life.

TheYouth 4 years ago

Why would I lie on the internet? I am who I say I am expressing my view. Believe it or don't, that's your freedom. Perhaps you just did not agree with my remarks.

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Why should anyone believe what beo posts? “28 March 2009 at 6:40 p.m. beobachter (Anonymous) says… …Ok, I'm done, you don't need to ban my account, I won't be back.” ;)

beobachter 4 years ago

TheYouth, wonder how many besides me, don't believe a word you post?

TheYouth 4 years ago

Paulette2 ~ "such as unfair distribution of wealth"

I respectfully disagree completely with this. As a freshman at KU who was born in raised in Lawrence, this ideology is familiar and disgusting to me. I have grown up with a wonderful family. We have ~63k family income, and upon entering KU with a 3.5 GPA and a 31 ACT score, I was hoping for some financial aid from the University. All that I received , and took, was $6,000 in student loans, leaving me with 6,000 more dollars to pay up front. Having a full-time job along with 17 hours of school is stressful, but I work hard and do what I must to pay for my own health care plan, cell phone bill, car payments, you get the point.

There is the background for you, now to the politics. Seeing as both political parties disgust me with their crooked ways, I am an unregistered voter. I didn't vote for Obama because I saw through the bullsht. I didn't vote for McCain because he lacked quality ideas. This was very disappointing for my first election. Now, I sit here and watch the Health-Care bill pass to my dismay. I sit around with my fellow students who beg for handouts and "free healthcare", meanwhile they fail classes, go out and drink beer, and do not work. It's sickening to think that I will be paying for these people to have healthcare, thanks a lot Democrats for shtting on my youth and years to come. The sense of entitlement just irks me.

Defender 4 years ago

"We're rounding the corner, rooster."

No, Tom, you are not. These are not your people, but you do not understand that at all.

I, for one, support much of what these folks are saying, and I completely look forward to a viable third party. I do not expect they will represent all I wish, but I am certain the other two parties represent almost everything I despise.

For the reps or dems to try to absorb this movement is foolhardy, and downright damned disgusting.

RiverCityConservative 4 years ago

This is the best U.S. President so far in my lifetime of 52 years. The rightwing soggy teabaggers will be singing a very different tune when all their wild eyed rhetoric fails to convince an electorate, Republican and Democratic, that is far sharper than the Republicans give them credit for. I predict even bigger majorities for the Democrats this fall as they roar back, prodded into action by President Obama. Yes we can.

vega 4 years ago

Come on friends and neighbors, Liz Cheney's gonna run, Sarah made another & much more fitting deal with Discovery Channel worth $1 million per episode: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1634480/20100323/index.jhtml

porch_person 4 years ago

tuschkahouma:

Remember, Sarah Palin herself didn't know what a Vice-President does, once before she was nominated and (incredibly) once after she had secured the nomination of the Republican Party for that position. Sarah Palin doesn't read newspapers. She can't name a Supreme Court decision. Probably 80% of the people who post here could kick her "rear" at Jeopardy.

You think the followers are going to do any better than their fearless leader? Current events and American history are not their strong suits. Maybe "Libertarianism for $500, Alex" is safer subject matter.

(I know you know better than that. I just can't pass up an occasion to dog Sarah Palin and her hapless devotees).

paulette2 4 years ago

in the face of climate destabilization Sarah is the absolute W O R S T choice.

the level of public awareness (hello LJW) and policy discussions (hello KS DEMOCRATS) does not yet match the gravity of the situation (coal plants in the middle of America's wheatfields)!

the prevailing assumption is that we can adopt better technologies like hybrid cars, wind turbines, solar collectors, and change a few light bulbs, but change little else.

in the words of John Sterman, "There is no purely technical solution for climate change--- we must now turn our attention to the dynamics of social & political change" - because climate collapse is just around the corner and we must strengthen governance - and good policies not reduce good policy.

porch_person 4 years ago

Georgiahawk

"Paulette2 at 12:44 is spot on! " --- georgiahawk

I second. Well said, Paulette2!!

georgiahawk 4 years ago

Paulette2 at 12:44 is spot on!

Mike Ford 4 years ago

I have an Alaska quiz for the Palin supporters here:

1. Name the treasury secretary who authorized the Purchase of Alaska in what year?

2. What fraudulent Supreme Court ruling in 1955 allowed the carpet bagging non indigenous Alaskans to take millions of acres of land until the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act in the early 1970's?

3. Name three groups of indigenous peoples from Alaska?

4. name the Russian explorer for whom a sea is named and who is reponsible for all of the Russian Orthodox churches in Alaska?

Palin should go back to Idaho where she can claim to know something if she can't answer these questions.

headdoctor 4 years ago

TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) says… As I've stated, by 2012 a crash-test dummie could probably unseat Obama. He's an unmitigated disaster, but you won't hear that from the lamestream media who staunchly supports Obama and has since the day he entered into the fray. They are simply awestruck by the man. Their far-left appetite is finally being fed; by Obama.

I wouldn't worry much about Tom. He just loves the taste of crow. I noticed he disappeared for a bit. He must be working on a new recipe or is busy being getting tea bagging mad over this.

paulette2 4 years ago

Oh excuse me Sarah - didn't the current economic crisis come as a result of deregulation and misamanagement from 2000 to 2008?

paulette2 4 years ago

Downsizing government removes any countervailing power to that of corporations and leaves the public defenseless to face as best it can, the many problems generated by unfettered capitalism, such as unfair distribution of wealth, unequal legal protection, exposure to pollution, inadequate and expensive health care, lack of emergency help, and unavailability of basic services.

Libertarian ides appeal most strongly to those who are wealthy enough to buy their own services and live in well defended enclaves isolated from larger society. Lake Quivera is a local example.

Jaminrawk 4 years ago

A lot of the conservatives on here are the same ones that though Palin would swing the presidential vote towards McCain. Whaaaaa, whaaaa, whaaaaaaa. Didn't happen. She's just a blowhard with an eye towards a media job ala Beck, Limbaugh and Hannity where she can rile up ignorant conservatives that fit the tea party profile and know very little about actual politics. It's sad that the Republican Party has become a propaganda machine much like the Nazis pre WWII.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years ago

This is all so very funny, especially Shewmon and Penders. A bonified "party of no" defender and a bonified "stuck on the "enter" key " ideologue.

Palin is a bad joke and John McCain will forever regret having had allowed this illigetimate "poser" into his campaign. This will be remembered as one of the biggest political gaffes in history, and I am waiting for the tea industry to refute ever having been associated with these insufferable political wonks. I can remember many past political flash-in the-pan-events, but for the life of me, I cannot remember even one of their names. (Ross P-rot??)This too will pass and palin wil be stuck with her unmarried mother daughter and grandson who will have been shunned by a legion of prospective mates due to the stifling midia coverage of the palin pontificating and posturing about "family values". (Is incompetance and unreliability a family value" the citizens of Alaska ask as they see their former governer become a cartoon character??

Frankly, the tea industry ought to sue the hell out of these idiots for creating a negative vision of their product and palin should learn how to harvest tea leaves.

beatrice 4 years ago

Don't sit down and shut up -- get elected and then quit after a year and a half.

This is the answer for the party of "NO"? Sarah Palin? Really?

Republicans had best start speaking up against the radicals among them, because Palin and her Tea Party folk don't stand a chance in hell of helping the Republican party, except, perhaps in some small, regional contests where people aren't paying attention. These are not the people who will gain national offices, and they will only pull votes away from reasonable conservative candidates, should the Republicans have any left.

beatrice 4 years ago

The following line was removed from the LJWorld's version of this report: "Palin faced criticism after posting a map on her Facebook page that had cross hairs over 20 Democratic districts. She also sent a tweet saying, "Don't Retreat, Instead - RELOAD!" "

I wonder why the LJWorld would remove this part of the story the tells of Palin inciting violence? It is one thing because lack of space to edit for a print edition, but why edit the online edition? Very telling. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/03/28/20100328TeaPartyNevada0328.html

beatrice 4 years ago

Tom: "As I've stated, by 2012 a crash-test dummie could probably unseat Obama."

Wow, you really are a Palin fan!

Face it, the only reason McCain picked Palin back in 2008 was because his first choice, Terry Schiavo, was no longer available.

Agnostick 4 years ago

"Shut up and sit down!"

President George H.W. Bush, addressing the annual meeting of The National League of POW/MIA Families, 1992

georgiahawk 4 years ago

Tom, it seems from your diatribe that you are the one that is scared! Palin is an idiot just like Beck the speck and the Limp-one. You have no one! I think your underestimation of Obama has been and continues to be very entertaining! Follow your leaders, they have served you well, ignorance is your only means of survival in the political world. Keep the ignorance flowing, it is not only entertaining but the only way your ilk can gather followers.

cowboy 4 years ago

FAVORABLE UNFAVORABLE NET CHANGE PRESIDENT OBAMA 56 (53) 39 (41) +5

PELOSI: 39 (37) 54 (55) +3 REID: 26 (27) 66 (66) -1 McCONNELL: 20 (21) 64 (63) -2 BOEHNER: 17 (20) 64 (62) -5

CONGRESSIONAL DEMS: 40 (39) 56 (58) +3 CONGRESSIONAL GOPS: 21 (24) 71 (67) -7

DEMOCRATIC PARTY: 40 (39) 53 (55) +3 REPUBLICAN PARTY: 28 (30) 67 (66) -3

Fridays polling , lets see Tom , dems as a whole trending upward , repubs trending downward. What do you have to run on other than attractive ignorance ?

Now that the RNC & Repubs strategy has painted you as complete fools what will be the next wave of complete nonsense. Perhaps a riot when the teaparty rallies on april 15th , the anniversary of OK city bombing and Waco. Bring all the closet crazies out all at once. Heck that little rally last week spewing racial slurs at congress folk will look pretty tame.

staff04 4 years ago

When this story first went up, the AP headline read "Palin to Tea Party: Don't sit down, shut up"

Too funny.

Eats, Shoots & Leaves...

Glenda LaRue 4 years ago

Weak minded people have no original thoughts of their own..Thy just spout rethoric that is someone elses.Feel sorry ,for when you close your minds you also quit learning.Go ahead embrace your megalomania perceptions. : )

tange 4 years ago

barrypenders (anonymous) says… Pretty girls scare PADs....

paulette2 4 years ago

read Susan Jacoby's recent book, "The Age of U N R E A S O N".

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

As Bernie Goldberg says, the corrupt lamestream media with their cocktail parties and tight Washington connections, are totally out of touch with those between Manhattan and Malibu.

Wow!

Leslie Swearingen 4 years ago

What a woman looks like is irrevelent. What matters is whether or not she can do the job. Since when is beauty a criterion for holding public office? Although I do think that Speaker Pelosi and Secretary of State Clinton are attractive. I don't believe that anyone is frightened by the overwhelming beauty of Sarah Palin. It is just that there are far more important issues to worry about.

lawrenceguy40 4 years ago

Tom - those numbers will grow in the coming months as more and more people realize that somebody has to pay for all these freebies to the idle (sizable) minority. And that someone will be them. It always amazes me that people fall for the "rich people" will be taxed to pay for XYZ, without realizing that there are so few really rich people to tax. Then the tax burden falls lower and lower until it reaches them. The jaw dropping "duh" moment they have when they realize barry o's "rich people" are them is a joy to behold.

John Kyle 4 years ago

TomShewmon said:

"Palin scares the daylights out of Dems. "

Then why do most democrats want her to run for president? What scares me are the people who support her.....ignorant, hate-filled people with guns.

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

What am I talking about 'hundreds of thousands'!? Millions of independents are fleeing Obama. Just doing some rough math, with the numbers of registered (I) and the slippage of them in the polls, I'd say 8-10 million-------now. What will it be by 2012?

Tom Miller 4 years ago

...come the revolution...

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

We're rounding the corner, rooster. You'll be the one whining and crying here soon, just like you did for eight Bush years.

Obama wants you to shut up and wait your turn and he wants your money. Palin said, "don't sit down and shut up."

Palin scares the daylights out of Dems.

But it's not really Palin they need to worry about.

Hundreds of thousands of independents indeed are running away from Obama and Dems.

rooster 4 years ago

And this deserves restating, if I have to restate it several time per day:

Tom, BarryPenders, etc..

I love, love, love to see your posts whining and crying.

It truly makes my day.

I'm thinking about curling up with a warm blanket, bowl of popcorn reading all of your crybaby posts.....

It makes me think that maybe there is a god, and he's probably enjoying this as much as I do.

Liberty275 4 years ago

Barry, your use of the word "baguette" is a fine example of your poetic talent.

Porchee, do you see what he's doing there?

barrypenders 4 years ago

Poser, the 'Blessed One' Tea Baguette, is polarizing the populace.

White men shun Democrats By DAVID PAUL KUHN First published in print: Saturday, March 27, 2010 Millions of white men who voted for Barack Obama are walking away from the Democratic Party, and it appears increasingly likely that they'll take the midterms elections in November with them. Their departure could well lead to a GOP landslide on a scale not seen since 1994.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=915922&category=OPINION#ixzz0jTzmQT9O

The 'Great Uniter' is 'Transforming' with 'Transparency' like no other Jihadist known.

Stimulus, Polarizing Baguettes, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us

Liberty275 4 years ago

"have you organized your conservative jihad activities yet

The conservatives aren't the problem. The independents going on jihad are what the left needs to worry about.

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

"Tea baggers" and "astroturfers", but not Dems...oh no no no! They are called "grass-roots activists" and "organizers" by the corrupt lamestream media. Give me a break.

Ya'll on the left are nervous, and rightfully so. Bush could learn a few things from Obama regarding dragging an entire party down. It's happening and the left is in serious denial. All the Repubs need is to take back the senate and Obama's "transformation" will be c'est la vie.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 4 years ago

I thought the heckling moments in Mesa earlier in the day were just classic. First one got sucker punched by an attendee as he was leaving. ABC15 caught video of what happened to the 2nd heckler outside the venue. Nothing like having a couple of overweight thugs sitting on top of you while the police are asking you to stand up and put your hands behind your back. The police finally had to tell the thugs to back off, but they were still shoving the guy while two armed police officers had him restrained.

These guys just can't help themselves and keep the footage for campaign ads coming.

georgiahawk 4 years ago

Barry, have you organized your conservative jihad activities yet? Time is running short, the fall of America is in full swing, you and your ilk will need to get going.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 4 years ago

independant1 (anonymous) says…

"There ought to be one day - just one - when there is open season on senators. (Will Rogers) "

There is. It's called election day. Open for input from the people. Representative democracy.

Nice quote, indy.

independant1 4 years ago

barrypenders 4 years ago

geekin_topekan has the 'Ferocious' Tea Baguette reply down pat. Is there a 'Play Book' that you Baguettes adhere to? PAD vernacular is 'Out Standing'

Stimulus, PAD Baguettes, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless you

Richard Heckler 4 years ago

Sunday, March 8, 2009 Health insurers and drug makers have showered members of the 111th Congress with millions in campaign contributions over the last four years, with a special focus on leaders who will play major roles in shaping health-care legislation, according to a study to be released tomorrow.

Health insurers and their employees contributed $2.2 million to the top 10 recipients in the House and Senate since 2005, while drug makers and their employees gave more than $3.3 million to top lawmakers during that period, according to an analysis of federal elections data by Consumer Watchdog, a California-based advocacy group.

The biggest beneficiaries in the Senate included John McCain (R-Ariz.), with $546,000; Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), with $425,000; and Max Baucus (D-Mont.), with $413,000, who as head of the Finance Committee will play a leading role in the debate over health-care reform.

In the House, the two groups gave $257,000 to Minority Leader John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) and $249,000 to Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-Va.). On the Democratic side, Rep. Earl Pomeroy (N.D.) received contributions from the insurance sector ($104,000), while Rep. John D. Dingell (Mich.) took in $180,000 from drug companies.

The donations underscore the stakes in the health-care debate as President Obama pushes for dramatic changes by year's end, with the aim of sharply expanding the number of Americans covered by health insurance. Obama held a health-care summit at the White House last week and has proposed a $634 billion reserve fund to kick off the process.

The health-care sector has long ranked with financial services and energy interests as one of the most powerful political forces in Washington, and it spent nearly $1 billion on lobbying in the past two years alone. As momentum moves toward overhauling health care, major medical groups have stepped up their lobbying and campaign activities while shifting money and attention to newly empowered Democrats, according to federal records and industry experts.....

There are some big dollars that consumers will pay back in increased cost of premiums,co-pays,deductibles,pharmaceuticals... yes to cover political expenses

porch_person 4 years ago

Excellent observation, Corey!!

porch_person 4 years ago

This "protest" is an embarrassment. An astro-turf event. Who has time to take off of work, jump on a bus and "protest"? I thought that conservatives were the ones who work and the rest of us "sponge". That's what the conservatives here bitterly tell me. I guess there's a conservative demographic that has time to get carted around the country to express their "rage".

This will become an occupation. Professional "grass roots" protester. Sign up at D C I.

geekin_topekan 4 years ago

Tea baggers will ultimately be the downfall of the repubs this election. Remember how CLinton got elected with <40% of the vote? Two marginally qualified runners divide their own playing field and the less popular and opposite candidate's power increases drastically.

Of course the real conservatives will never endorse Palin nor any other candidate that attracts the peripheral groups like klansmen, methheads and armchair politicians as the tea bags do.

Corey Williams 4 years ago

"It’s been called a conservative Woodstock..."

"At least 9,000 people streamed into tiny Searchlight, a former mining town 60 miles south of Las Vegas..."

A "conservative Woodstock"? A quick search comes up with a population for the Las Vegas Valley area as 1.1 million. (http://www.insidervlv.com/population.html) That's not even a full percentage of the area's permanent residents. Hell, they get 36 million in visitors every year (http://govegas.about.com/cs/faqs/l/blfunfacts.htm). That's good for an average of 692,000 visitors that weekend alone. The 2009 Star Trek convention had 15,000 (http://www.creationent.com/cal/stlv.htm) and the former vice presidential candidate could only get 9,000?

Wow!

barrypenders 4 years ago

It's interesting that PADs, the proponents of Clinton,Letterman, and Polanski behavior, and the proponents of the vernacular 'Tea Bagger', are 'Giddy' over the word play.

Using Progressive Articulate Disillusionist play on words, I shall now refer to the receivers of the 'Tea bagger' wrath, Tea Baguetts.

Tea Baguetts, and there are millions of them, get all 'Fussy' when receiving the wrath of the Tea Bagger.

C'est la vie

Stimulus, Tea Baguetts, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

georgiahawk 4 years ago

9000 show up for the "conservative Woodstock"? Great turnout, surely will go down in history right next to Woodstock. Tea baggers are desperate, trying to co-opt liberal successes! Funny to watch!

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

What 'right wing fringe' policies, gh? Your beloved president and dem controlled congress are the 'fringe'. Shoving a multi-trillion dollar healthcare deal down our throats when it's clearly vastly unpopular with Americans.....that's fringy in my opinion.

barrypenders 4 years ago

Tea baguetts hate Tea people. It's a 'Vicious' cycle. PADs do not like the heat from Tea people.

Stimulus, Tea Baguetts, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us

georgiahawk 4 years ago

Tom, are you so obsessed with polls because it is your only hope? If you pay attention to polls, how can you avoid the fact that polls mean nothing so far from elections? Do you really think that the polls you love to quote mean anything? If I were you I would be worried that they show them to be favoring your views, because they will change, and they will not go the direction you want. Right wing fringe policies like the ones you support are at the apex of their popular support, there are only so many simpletons out there.

barrypenders 4 years ago

Pretty girls scare PADs. Schucks, if only Tea People had humans that looked like Pelosi, Rosie O, Garofalo, Hillbillary, Janet Reno, Theresa Kerry, Andrea Dworkin. Then maybe PADs could listen to 'Common Sense'

But, I might as well be wishing for a silk purse out of a pigs ear

Stimulus, Silk Purse, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us

Steven Gaudreau 4 years ago

Palin is a bad joke and an embarrassment to the Rep. Party.

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

When will Reid lose it and call Palin a "loser"? He's already proclaimed he would make Sue Lowden "evaporate". Better git busy Harry!

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

Reid trails Republican Sue Lowden 38% to 51%, Reid trails Republican Danny Tarkanian 37% to 50% and Reid trails Republican Angle 38% to 46%. Looks good ol' Harry will be retiring. Too bad, so sad.