Archive for Saturday, March 27, 2010

One taken to hospital after car vs. pedestrian accident near 6th and Maine

Patient’s injuries non-life-threatening

A Lawrence man was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital after being involved in a car vs. pedestrian accident late Friday night. Police are still investigating the incident. The man's injuries were not life threatening.

March 27, 2010, 12:05 a.m. Updated March 27, 2010, 12:18 a.m.

A 35-year-old Lawrence man was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital after being involved in a car versus pedestrian accident Friday evening.

The incident was called in about 11:25 p.m. near the intersection of Sixth and Maine streets.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Ted Bordman the pedestrian sustained injuries in the accident that were not believed to be life threatening.

Bordman said the driver of the vehicle was not being held in relation to the incident. Police are still investigating the incident in an attempt to understand the motivations of the pedestrian.

Additional information for the patient and driver were not available early Saturday morning.

Comments

paulette2 4 years ago

6th and Maine has a crosswalk, what's the problem? driver running a yellow light?

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

---captain Obvious. also include nature of the call that came in.

beobachter 4 years ago

sorry, gnome, I do care care about my community. I simply not feel a need to instantly know every single detail of every accident or every crime. Fact is, the first reports on scanner mean nothing. Means simply what is happening then and what[people on scene are observing then.

tanaumaga 4 years ago

car vs. pedestrian....car wins again

sunny 4 years ago

It wouldn't matter if there was a cross walk every couple of hundred yards. People in this city just walk right out into the street, cross streets, without even looking if a vehicle is coming their way. Down town is the worse. Even with the little 'don't walk' hand flashing, idiots cross the street and just assume (which they mostly do) people will stop and wait for them to cross! When someone gets hit people yell and scream 'it's the drivers fault'.

kansasredlegs 4 years ago

If the driver had been killed as a result of the pedestrian's negligence and "Per Se" violation of the law of pedistrian in the roadway, would the pedestrian have been charged with "Negligent Pedestrian Homicide"? The 'what if' goes on forever... Remember: Safety is no Accident!!!

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

ah, Parrothead, I think L275 was engaging in sarcasm there buddy with reference to the health care debacle.

and by the way, am listening to my scanner right now.

parrothead8 4 years ago

Liberty275 (anonymous) says… I wonder how many millions of cars go unrepaired every year because careless pedestrians and bicyclists damage our nice rides, but can't afford to pay for the damage they cause. I'm going to guess 40 million, including damage caused by persons of status not declared legal.

There are about 6.5 million auto accidents in the US each year, so your figure of 40 million cars going unrepaired due to damage from pedestrians and bicyclists is delusional. The vast majority (over 90%) of those accidents have nothing to do with pedestrians or bicyclists.

I wonder how many millions of miles of roads are going unrepaired due to damage from your precious automobiles, and how many billions of dollars are being spent to repair those vehicles driving over the millions of miles of crappy roads.

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

apparently Beo and Alabam have reading comprehension issues. or, don't care about their community.

note: here in America, at least for now, it is still the case that radio frequencies are a public resource. that means, listening to transmissions on radio is in fact a right. now, disclosing specifics of what you hear on a scanner is actually a violation of federal law. please note I never asked anyone to put up here what might have been heard on the scanner!

just for a little reality, here's why I posted originally ... again.
at about 6pm friday there were two dozen or more sirens came to north lawrence.
this doesn't happen every day. doesn't happen every month.
now, those with reading comrehension problems, please see evilyn Wood or get "hooked on phonics."

here's an idea: sign up with Merrill for his nude gardening course, it couldn't hurt.

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

Thanks Farva, noticed the responders were really pushing it. one or two went down Elm beyond the n 3rd detour like they were gonna do an end-around.

yeah, Somebodynew, that's a good link for scanner on web but of course you're limited to the function/programming of the scanner that's feeding the web. it does work fine, just means you can't hit the button to tell it you really don't wanna hear the juvie crew talking about some kid's timeout!

@motivations of the ped. yes, I had even wondered if they were including the possibility the ped walked out intentionally. mental health issues like suicide or hallucinations.
thanks.

LadyJ 4 years ago

Did I miss where it said it was a hit and run?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years ago

"The police could stop anyone found on the sidewalk or on a bike and demand to see proof of coverage."

And tax them for the air that they're breathing, too. Those damn freeloaders breathing your air are pretty cheeky, aren't they Liberty?

Darwin 4 years ago

sunny:

I totally agree with your statement, but regardless of whether the pedestrian may have been at fault...this involved the driver leaving the scene. I really don't think someone is going to be completely oblivious to hitting someone. Well...unless they are talking on their cell phone and there's plenty of that.

beobachter 4 years ago

Alabamastreet and they are still totally clueless and demanding more instant information.

Alabamastreet 4 years ago

People with multiple police scanners and monitoring the LJWorld. Interesting behavior . . .

Xwards 4 years ago

The problem is that there are precious few crosswalks on 6th Street. If not lights, there should be zebra stripes at every intersection.

cheeseburger 4 years ago

thuja (and your extensive 2 post history) -

Been in town since 1966, long before Gore's internet came along, and am quite aware of the way things were covered versus the way they are today. The LJW doesn't go out and get the story like they used to, either for print or electronic media. Perhaps that is the result of dwindling newspaper revenues, or possibly policies within the LJW. May even be because they don't want commenters to post on the articles here. In any case, emergency-type incidents just don't get the coverage they once did.

Liberty275 4 years ago

I wonder. If the pedestrian is found to be at fault, shouldn't he be required to pay for any repairs needed because of the collision, maybe a new grille, a headlight, whatever.

Maybe it's time to federally mandate pedestrian and bicyclist insurance. Well, not really mandate the insurance, but impose a tax penalty if you walk on the sidewalk or ride a bike without liability and injury protection insurance.. The police could stop anyone found on the sidewalk or on a bike and demand to see proof of coverage.

Calliope877 4 years ago

thuja (anonymous) says… "People in Lawrence think they can walk out into any street without looking for vehicles. "

-Overly broad, untrue statement.

Uh, no it's not. I see dumb pedestrians crossing 9th street all the time without being mindful of the vehicles that have to slow down to let them cross, and they are jaywalking. Those people seem to have a death wish.

Beer Guy 4 years ago

"Police are still investigating the incident in an attempt to understand the motivations of the pedestrian. "

Police still have not determined why the chicken crossed the road but believe it had something to do with laying it on the line.

Pat Long 4 years ago

Pedestrians were heavy on N. Michigan at Fifth on my way home from work at 2215 last night. Behavior was of the "I don't give a damn" variety. If they were ingesting, it's not a chemical I want to play with.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years ago

"car versus pedestrian", why was the car angry at the pedestrian? My guess is that the motivation was to get to the other side of the street.

somebodynew 4 years ago

@workinghard - thank you, I guess I missed the post last month. Bookmarked the site so I have it. Might be useful @ work.

@Gnome - my guess (strictly a guess- I wasn't there) is that "motivations of the pedestrian" means the ped did something really stupid, like walk out in front of the driver for some reason. Probably wanting to check to see if it was intentional, drunk, or just inattention. Kind of tells me they don't think the driver had any option and didn't make any mistakes.

farva 4 years ago

It was just a rollover accident? I was southbound on N 2nd, going under the train overpass, and 2 county deputies and an ambulance were trying to go northbound in the southbound lane. The detour was backed up all the way to 6th street, actually about the Tennessee, so I guess they figured that was the only way through because of the traffic. But it was kind of interesting to see some emergency vehicles trying to go south in the one-way northbound, ended up driving on the sidewalk next to Johnny's to get around them. I figured something major happened for them trying to so that. I mean, they were acting safe and cautious, just surprised me.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

"-Overly broad, untrue statement."

From Sunny? Get out of town!

workinghard 4 years ago

You don't need a scanner, just use your computer. Somebody posted it on this site last month. Go here and click on on listen http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=2178

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

thanks Cheeseburger.
sure were a lot of responders!

@bigmike, actually I do own a scanner, but of course didn't have it with me at the time.

and the other poster: if you'd seen this going, you'd wonder too about WTH was happening in your community!

still wondering about: "motivations of the pedestrian."

bigmike 4 years ago

If you really want to know what's going on go buy a police scanner. I recommend one from Radio Shack. I have 2 from there, one of them is 20 years old!

thuja 4 years ago

-Overly broad, untrue statement.

"LJW just doesn't cover that stuff as completely as they used to!"

Maybe not completely enough for you to be able to run to your computer seconds after you hear lots of sirens and know everything that is going on. I think that's asking a little much, don't you?

workinghard 4 years ago

I see pedestrians constantly cross there at McDonald's at night .

cheeseburger 4 years ago

beard - there was a rollover accident in the vicinity of TeePee Junction - I don't believe there were any life-threatening injuries in that one either. LJW just doesn't cover that stuff as completely as they used to!

sunny 4 years ago

The driver will be blamed I am sure.

Stuart Evans 4 years ago

I saw one of the fire trucks going back south past slowride not long after..

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

---attempting to understand the motivations of the pedestrian?
interesting.

hey, anybody know why the two dozen or so sirens crossed the bridge about 6pm friday into north lawrence? sounded like they stopped on/near north 2nd. fire, PD both. nothing in ljworld.

was a boatload of sirens.