Letters to the Editor

Pay no attention

March 26, 2010

To the editor:

In response to Margie Phelps’ letter to the editor (March 24), regarding her family picketing soldiers funerals, she defined why most Kansans consider her family (Westborough Baptist Church) one huge embarrassment for Kansas and religion, and would like them all to simply go away!

Margie claims to know the mind of God, and says God hates fags! What happened to “God is Love?” I never knew Jesus wanted us to “Hate thy neighbor!” What Bible is she reading with such dichotomies of interpretation, claiming soldiers are “Dying for our sins, and God hates America!” To claim these thoughts of “God” means Margie claims she can read the mind of God! Isn’t that special!

This is not espousing freedom of religion, it is preaching intolerance, hate and a viciousness against others who do not share her personal religious dogma. She and her “followers” go out in public picketing for one reason: Attention! They picket KU games, or any event they think they can get them a little attention and show up waving their signs and screaming at cars passing by. (Is God a KU fan?)

I would suggest perhaps one way to handle this matter would be for all of us to simply ignore their obnoxious, hateful efforts to call attention to themselves. Perhaps newspapers and the media might dismiss their efforts as not newsworthy, as not relevant, and simply ignore all future efforts by them to bring attention to themselves, no matter how paltry, measly; no matter how offensive they are. For by reacting to them, we all lower ourselves down to their level, and we are all better than that!

Comments

patrickj 4 years, 9 months ago

Just to answer your question... God is a KU fan. I also agree with you 100%

Jimo 4 years, 9 months ago

Seriously, is Phelps' grasp of the Gospel any poorer than Glenn Beck's?

KSManimal 4 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if some of you bible experts could help me with a couple things...I've been wondering:

1) If man was created in God's image, does God have a penis? If not, then how is man really god's image. If so, why?

2) The bible say's I should stay away from women who are menstruating. I'd like to follow what the bible say's, but my question is....how will I know when any of the many women around me are menstruating? I've tried asking, but most ladies don't respond well to that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

sickofdummies 4 years, 9 months ago

Tom, I know that the Phelps are always looking for more people to shout and carry signs. Maybe you should give them a call.

barlowtl 4 years, 9 months ago

The best reaction when asked is "Phelps who" I wish we could keep him under wraps in Kansas. I cringe every time a newscaster says "from Kansas"

Christine Anderson 4 years, 9 months ago

OMG! I have to say, Fred Phelps does not know anything about the Jesus I've heard of. Nothing. For a parent to say they are "Christian" and do such hideous things to their children; it is a complete dichotomy! If I were the Phelps children who "escaped", I would throw a huge party when that miserable piece of cow manure bites the dust. I am going to say this right now, loudly and proudly. I would rather any or all of my kids be kind, loving gay people that be anything remotely like Fred Phelps. About Mark and Nate's mother. I'm all too familiar with battered spouse syndrome. Yes, I know how strong the mental hold can be. But Fred's wife has no right to call herself a mother if she could stand idly by and watch it happen. If I am blessed enough to be alive when Fred Phelps bites it, I will be at his funeral to dance!

scott3460 4 years, 9 months ago

"If I am blessed enough to be alive when Fred Phelps bites it, I will be at his funeral to dance!"

If they're smart they'll never erect a tombstone - it would never be dry.

Katara 4 years, 9 months ago

I think Mr. Bennett is wrong. Ignoring problems do not make them go away. Sticking your head in the sand or sticking your fingers in your ears does nothing to solve the problem.

I think this man has found the way to make Phelps and his clan slink back to the hole in the ground they came from and others will benefit from it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Of_2...

JustNoticed 4 years, 9 months ago

JustNoticed 4 years, 9 months ago

Tom works very hard on the witless part, constantly trolling the LJW and posting his incredible nonsense. Hey Tom, I think God is pretty far left, loony, you might say. Oh my.

JustNoticed 4 years, 9 months ago

ohhh, darn, that was painful - stooping to Tom's sandbox level, throwing snot and feces. I'm sorry Tom, that was just personal nastiness, wasn't it? You did make it easy though. Adios Trolls, there is no conversation here, no thought, no listening - just a sandbox of mean toddlers. Really, it's just very hateful, including me sometimes. Phooey.