Letters to the Editor

Pay no attention

March 26, 2010

To the editor:

In response to Margie Phelps’ letter to the editor (March 24), regarding her family picketing soldiers funerals, she defined why most Kansans consider her family (Westborough Baptist Church) one huge embarrassment for Kansas and religion, and would like them all to simply go away!

Margie claims to know the mind of God, and says God hates fags! What happened to “God is Love?” I never knew Jesus wanted us to “Hate thy neighbor!” What Bible is she reading with such dichotomies of interpretation, claiming soldiers are “Dying for our sins, and God hates America!” To claim these thoughts of “God” means Margie claims she can read the mind of God! Isn’t that special!

This is not espousing freedom of religion, it is preaching intolerance, hate and a viciousness against others who do not share her personal religious dogma. She and her “followers” go out in public picketing for one reason: Attention! They picket KU games, or any event they think they can get them a little attention and show up waving their signs and screaming at cars passing by. (Is God a KU fan?)

Comments

none2 4 years ago

KSManimal (anonymous) says…

I wonder if some of you bible experts could help me with a couple things...I've been wondering:

1) If man was created in God's image, does God have a penis? If not, then how is man really god's image. If so, why?

So in your upbringing the word "image" has to do with THAT part of the body??? That is really weird.

Did you use to compare/contrast yours with your dad's and grandpa's to prove that you "looked" related? If so, I'm sure your neighbors were very uncomfortable when you held family reunions.

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

WOW! Ag's post is impressive. Almost like something someone who is writing about the Phelp's would source.

JustNoticed 4 years ago

ohhh, darn, that was painful - stooping to Tom's sandbox level, throwing snot and feces. I'm sorry Tom, that was just personal nastiness, wasn't it? You did make it easy though. Adios Trolls, there is no conversation here, no thought, no listening - just a sandbox of mean toddlers. Really, it's just very hateful, including me sometimes. Phooey.

JustNoticed 4 years ago

Tom works very hard on the witless part, constantly trolling the LJW and posting his incredible nonsense. Hey Tom, I think God is pretty far left, loony, you might say. Oh my.

JustNoticed 4 years ago

Benjamin Roberts 4 years ago

"I would suggest perhaps one way to handle this matter would be for all of us to simply ignore their obnoxious, hateful efforts to call attention to themselves. Perhaps newspapers and the media might dismiss their efforts as not newsworthy, as not relevant, and simply ignore all future efforts by them to bring attention to themselves, no matter how paltry, measly; no matter how offensive they are. For by reacting to them, we all lower ourselves down to their level, and we are all better than that!"

I understand the point Mr. Bennett is trying to make. However, how is writing a Letter to the Editor "simply [ignoring] their obnoxious, hateful efforts to call attention to themselves"? Is that not the opposite of ignoring them? Is it not reacting to them? Is a Letter to the Editor responding to a Letter to the Editor lowering oneself "down to their level"?

No, ignoring them is not the answer as Mr. Bennett has demonstrated. Not engaging them at their level, however, is the answer. Do not accept the false premises stated by Phelps or Westboro Baptist Church (WBC). For instance, there is no point in arguing whether or not "God hates fags." The premise is wrong regardless of your religious position.

Atheists and agnostics have no god in the fight - if there is no God (or God is not interested) the premise can easily be dismissed. Replacing WBC's premise with that of an atheist would change the slogan to "No one hates fags" or, "Nothing hates fags."

Those who believe in the Bible also know that the premise is wrong; the Bible teaches that God hates all sin - it never teaches that he hates the sinner. Christians believe that "God loves fags" and came to save them.

Thus, regardless of your personal view, their is no point in validating Phelp's false premise. Simply put, unless you like to argue only for the sake of arguing, WBC provides no real message.

Katara 4 years ago

I think Mr. Bennett is wrong. Ignoring problems do not make them go away. Sticking your head in the sand or sticking your fingers in your ears does nothing to solve the problem.

I think this man has found the way to make Phelps and his clan slink back to the hole in the ground they came from and others will benefit from it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Of_2...

scott3460 4 years ago

"If I am blessed enough to be alive when Fred Phelps bites it, I will be at his funeral to dance!"

If they're smart they'll never erect a tombstone - it would never be dry.

Christine Anderson 4 years ago

OMG! I have to say, Fred Phelps does not know anything about the Jesus I've heard of. Nothing. For a parent to say they are "Christian" and do such hideous things to their children; it is a complete dichotomy! If I were the Phelps children who "escaped", I would throw a huge party when that miserable piece of cow manure bites the dust. I am going to say this right now, loudly and proudly. I would rather any or all of my kids be kind, loving gay people that be anything remotely like Fred Phelps. About Mark and Nate's mother. I'm all too familiar with battered spouse syndrome. Yes, I know how strong the mental hold can be. But Fred's wife has no right to call herself a mother if she could stand idly by and watch it happen. If I am blessed enough to be alive when Fred Phelps bites it, I will be at his funeral to dance!

Agnostick 4 years ago

Mark Phelps feels nauseated whenever he remembers that night. He was hit over 60 times and his brother, Nate, over 200 with a mattock handle. Nate went into shock. Mark didn't. A boy who became a compulsive counter to handle the stress, Mark counted every stroke. His and Nate's. While their father screamed obscenities and his brother screamed in pain. Every 20 strokes, their mother wiped their faces off in the tub. Nate passed out anyway. That was Christmas Day.

Though he believes he should be the next governor of Kansas, Pastor Phelps has never believed in Christmas. A mattock is a pick-hoe using a wooden handle heavier than a bat. Fred swung it with both hands like a ballplayer and with all his might. "The first blow stunned your whole body," says Mark. "By the third blow, your backside was so tender, even the lightest strike was agonizing, but he'd still hit you like he wanted to put it over the fence. By 20, though, you'd have grown numb with pain. That was when my father would quit and start on my brother. Later, when the feeling had returned and it hurt worse than before, he'd do it again. "After 40 strokes, I was weak and nauseous and very pale. My body hurt terribly. Then it was Nate's turn. He got 40 each time. "I staggered to the bathtub where my mom was wetting a towel to swab my face. Behind me, I could hear the mattock and my brother was choking and moaning. He was crying and he wouldn't stop." The voice in the phone halts. After an awkward moment, clearing of throats, it continues: "Then I heard my father shouting my name. My mom was right there, but she wouldn't help me. It hurt so badly during the third beating that I kept wanting to drop so he would hit me in the head. I was hoping I'd be knocked out, or killed...anything to end the pain. "After that...it was waiting that was terrible. You didn't know if, when he was done with Nate, he'd hurt you again. I was shaking in a cold panic. Twenty-five years since it happened, and the same sick feeling in my stomach comes back now..." Did he? Come back to you?

"No. He just kept beating Nate. It went on and on and on. I remember the sharp sound of the blows and how finally my brother stopped screaming... "It was very quiet. All I could think of was would he do that to me now. I could see my brother lying there in shock, and I knew in a moment it would be my turn. "I can't describe the basic animal fear you have in your gut at a time like that. Where someone has complete power over you. And they're hurting you. And there is no escape. No way out. If your mom couldn't help you...I can't explain it to anyone except perhaps a survivor from a POW camp."

barlowtl 4 years ago

The best reaction when asked is "Phelps who" I wish we could keep him under wraps in Kansas. I cringe every time a newscaster says "from Kansas"

sickofdummies 4 years ago

Tom, I know that the Phelps are always looking for more people to shout and carry signs. Maybe you should give them a call.

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

And you reinforce my assertion with every post blabboy.

BABBOY 4 years ago

Of course you don't Tom. That is why no one with intelligence takes you seriously.

Tom Shewmon 4 years ago

After reading Bennett's rant, which for some reason leads off with Phelp's hating "fags", I see little difference in the method to her madness and the far-left's.

beoB, what do you think?

g_rock 4 years ago

It is odd to realize that their whole deal is about being attentionwh***s for Jesus, but that it exactly it.

KSManimal 4 years ago

2) The bible say's I should stay away from women who are menstruating. I'd like to follow what the bible say's, but my question is....how will I know when any of the many women around me are menstruating? I've tried asking, but most ladies don't respond well to that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jimo 4 years ago

Seriously, is Phelps' grasp of the Gospel any poorer than Glenn Beck's?

patrickj 4 years ago