Letters to the Editor

Phelps response

March 24, 2010

To the editor:

Columnist Michael Smerconish (Journal-World, March 20) encounters a few words he doesn’t like on our picket signs, and his raw raging rebellion goes off the chain.

His rage makes him lie. No one disrupted a funeral. We stood 1,000 feet away from the funeral, with two large groups of other protesters with flags and signs between us and the building. No one going to the funeral saw or heard us. These soldiers’ funerals are big, splashy, sloppy, self-indulgent, noisy affairs, with politicians, media, citizens and bikers piled up outside with flapping flags and mouths.

Why you’re angry is because we refuse to call someone who fought for this godless nation a hero. And because we tell you plainly they are dying for your sins! Everyone is talking about these soldiers. The only way the Supreme Court can say we can’t is by uprooting the Constitution entirely.

This nation’s doom is imminent. If you have an ounce of sense, you’ll quit worrying about whether you’re going to get relief for your aching conscience from a court and start worrying about how you’re going to explain your and this nation’s proud, unrelenting sin. Stop trying to silence words you don’t like while pretending this nation protects religious liberties, and obey God.

Comments

akuna 5 years, 5 months ago

There is nothing to see here. Look away.

anon1958 5 years, 5 months ago

jackpot 5 years, 5 months ago

"And because we tell you plainly they are dying for your sins" Is she saying she is without sin?

independant1 5 years, 5 months ago

When ignorance gets started it knows no bounds. (Will Rogers )

independant1 5 years, 5 months ago

and one more thing

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. (Galileo Galilei)

nope, two

I never knew how to worship until I knew how to love. (Henry Ward Beecher)

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 5 months ago

patpat That's ok Tom. I spent eight years hiding under my bed and I'm just now poking my nose out. I think it's indigenous to us that grew up with "duck and cover" movies shown to first graders. It's funny how, when FDR was elected, my grandfather said that "the world was going to hell in a handbasket" and it didn't. It's even funnier how my dad said the same thing when Clinton was elected and it didn't. As for Ms. Phelps, opinions are like belly buttons; everybody has one. But just because I have an "outie" doesn't make me any different or undeserving of God's love from those with "innies". My argument with the Phelps clan isn't that they believe in a god of hate. They have just as much right to believe what they do as Scientologists and Moonies. It's the fact that they have invaded the very halls of death. Ms. Phelps, honeybun, that is just tacky. Just imagine all of the cheering throngs that will show up and line the road as Freddy goes to his final rest. They will be holding signs saying things like, "Thank God Almighty we're free at last!" There will be dancing in the streets and believe me, it won't be any New Orleans style send off, although I'm sure there will be a marching band or two. Heck, the Cirque Du Soleil may even show up. it won't be the hysterical party that happened at the end of WWII but I bet it comes close. And just remember Ms. Phelps, God is: Never gonna give you up, Never gonna let you down, Never gonna run around and desert you, Never gonna make you cry, Never gonna say goodbye, Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.

Tom Miller 5 years, 5 months ago

Oh good grief, now I'm disgusted! LJW, the ONLY media outlet those simpletons should EVER have access to is whatever little self-printed newsletter they might produce. Certainly not THIS. This is news how?? I am confused. one article regarding the Tongie police misunderstanding a situation and the LJW reporting what they've been told gets JK et al excoriated, through no fault of their own, and then they run some bit of hyperbolic verbal detritus like this! Gawd! Why, oh why have you given these idiotic zealots a public forum for their vile crap? I am confused. And very disappointed. Lordy, I'm annoyed with mySELF for having the impulse to even COMMENT on such garbage. We all know such lunatics exist, but we really don't need to see such garbage printed in this or any other paper. I am appalled you guys even printed such. Truly appalled, with two "p"s. Again, this is news how? And you GIVE them a bully-pulpit WHY? I really don't understand.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 5 months ago

"And because we tell you plainly they are dying for your sins!"

awesome, thousands of new Jesus' for us to worship. hooray. Thanks you weird old bastage!

Stuart Evans 5 years, 5 months ago

PS.. fairy tales aren't real. Imagine how much you could have done with your education, had you not been indoctrinated into a hateful group of picket-happy turds.

kusp8 5 years, 5 months ago

LJWorld you're awesome! I ALWAYS love a good laugh in the morning. Hahahahaha.

Jennifer Dropkin 5 years, 5 months ago

anon1958, your response is inappropriate. I understand you're being sarcastic, but to recommend violent action is not the thing to say to anyone, even, or especially if, she is deluded and just plain nuts. The Phelps clan and their associates need our compassion for their wrongheadedness and needful hate; they are misspending their life's energies by creating pain instead of healing the pain that exists. Don't make evil suggestions, that's what they expect. Surprise them. Tell them that you'll pray for them, dance for them, support gay marriage, contribute to PFLAG. I'm sure there are other creative and supportive ways to let Margie Phelps and her family and friends know that they are on the wrong side of the angels.

Tom Miller 5 years, 5 months ago

...I have long suspected such was/is the case regarding his inappropriate "zeal" on the subject...

Ron Holzwarth 5 years, 5 months ago

I was born on Fred Phelp's 25th birthday. I was wondering, does that mean I'm going to hell?

Tom Miller 5 years, 5 months ago

ONLY if, A- it really exists, and B- only if you deserve it...but what do I know...

imastinker 5 years, 5 months ago

You say they are dying for our sins, but are somehow not heroes?

I suspect there are much bigger flaws in your theology as well.

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 5 months ago

So, we can suggest removal of comments...how about letters to the editor?

Seriously, what's up LJW? You misreport a suicide (and don't give me that whole "that's what we were told" line, that's an excuse for the feeble) and now you print a letter from some rambling fringe sect. Have you no standards left? Where are your editorial guidelines? Process of vetting?

I'm not sure if it's more sad that people like the Phelps clan exist, or that media outlets like this one give them a voice.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

margie, you and your family and your church are loons. and you suck. yay you, right?

madameX 5 years, 5 months ago

Is this letter a preview of how they're going to argue the case in front of the Supreme Court? If so it's looking good for the other side...

guesswho 5 years, 5 months ago

When they have their signs out, let's take the example of this group in SF...

( I was promised donuts is my favorite)

rhd99 5 years, 5 months ago

This writer's problem is that she has so much hatred for the gay population in this country, that it clouds the issue. The issue is that she is so ungrateful as an American because of her hatred towards soldiers who fight in wars. She claims that the soldiers who die are in fact defending the gay population. She misses the point. All soldiers, do NOT choose who they defend in this nation. They follow orders. Maybe she needs to take a up a rifle & stand at attention in the Korean DMZ. Otherwise, she needs to say "thank you" & stop cursing the very people who are protecting her rights. honeychild, you are right, this woman is a loon & we the masses need to step up the pressure against her & their so-called "church". Church? WHATEVER!

puddleglum 5 years, 5 months ago

another reason to vote for puddleglum for govenor:

first things first, we pass the IQ bill into law: If your IQ is under 110, you are sterilized for free, and no more dumb dumb children. Everybody wins!

illegal immigrants are exempt of course, since they aren't paying taxes anyway. we are working on that though.

Ron Holzwarth 5 years, 5 months ago

The Lord has spoken to Fred Phelps in at least three places in the Bible:

2Kgs.14

1. [6] But he did not put to death the children of the murderers; according to what is written in the book of the law of Moses, where the LORD commanded, "The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, or the children be put to death for the fathers; but every man shall die for his own sin."

2Chr.25

1. [4] But he did not put their children to death, according to what is written in the law, in the book of Moses, where the LORD commanded, "The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, or the children be put to death for the fathers; but every man shall die for his own sin."

Ezek.18

1. [20] The soul that sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son; the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

mom_of_three 5 years, 5 months ago

You know, pretty much everything she said (flapping mouths, rage, etc.) can be applied to them. Funny. Seriously, I don't know how anybody can be that stupid.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

mom of three, where you been, girl? i haven't seen you much in here. i miss seeing your music selections in my old "what are you listening to right now" thread. :)

agree, porch, as usual (even tho you are a troll and some folks can't believe i co-sign you-- hahaha!).

jbiegs 5 years, 5 months ago

I also heard there was a rumor about Phelps having homosexual tendencies back in the 70's or 80's. It would make sense because of all the hate and fear he has for these people. The Phelps clan is a very sad people.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

" It would make sense because of all the hate and fear he has for these people. The Phelps clan is a very sad people."

yep. my mom worked for the state back then and she said that there were rumors flying around about some pastor of a church in topeka who was having a relationship w/ his male assistant. and a few years years later the same dude was out picketing places w/ "god hates f*gs" signs. comedy. what uber dolts. such a blight on our state-- that's really the main thing that pisses me off about them. if they were from some other state i wouldn't like them but i could much more easily ignore them. kansas is already thought of as super conservative, super hick and super right wing-- to have folks fly that flag super high only makes the rest of the world think poorly of our state, which isn't a bad place to live.

rhd99 5 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, LJW, why are you giving these hate mongers a forum? Shame on you.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 5 months ago

Normally I'm totally not up for gay sex before lunch, but this letter has me all turned on.

KansasPerson 5 years, 5 months ago

I never understood how someone who misuses quotation marks as much as Pitts does could ever win the Pulitzer, but that's just me and my hyper-grammatical obsessions.

Chris Scafe 5 years, 5 months ago

I think it's time for Fred to come out of the closet. Just think how much happier he would be if he could let go of the rage and be true to himself. The man doth protest too much, methinks. Fred, it's okay as you're drifting off to sleep tonight to think those dirty little thoughts. No one else will know as long as you keep protesting. Remember your last prostate exam? Shiver Oooooooooo. Sleep.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

co-sign CJ applauds best post in this thread!

Seth Peterson 5 years, 5 months ago

Faux Opinion says 72%, so the reality of the situation would be accurately reflected as 7%.

To give weight to the accuracy of Tom's posts, he also recently cited that 46% of healthcare professionals would leave their practice if the healthcare bill passed. So far his margin of error is by 100% of statistics he has posted.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 5 months ago

"This nation’s doom is imminent."

Funny.... when I read this comment, I thought that there would be a lot of posters like Shewmon and others who would be in agreement

Then sure enough, Shewmon posts twice just to strut off his agreement.

'nuf said about him, and them.

bad_dog 5 years, 5 months ago

looks like someone got disapeardedededed...

Oh well, shrugs.

mom_of_three 5 years, 5 months ago

hey, honeychild, I have been around, but not as much as I want to. Busy with school stuff. And according to some, I was causing troubles on the basketball and sports threads.

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 5 months ago

There was a Kansas church during the Dust Bowl period that predicted the end of the world ("last days"). It was a time when the day turned to night and people were choking on dirt.

One day they went into the church and locked the doors and waited for the rapture.

Sadly, there was no rapture and no one heard much more about the church or what became of it.

I guess the people just quietly faded away.

I can predict with absolute certainty that the days are coming when the Phelps and their followers will simply and quietly fade away.

grammaddy 5 years, 5 months ago

Margie, I can't wait to protest at the funerals of your family members. I'll show you what God hates.

bacon 5 years, 5 months ago

Even Jesus thinks Fred Phelps is a d-bag!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

^^^^ reminds me of a two really great bumperstickers i've seen:

"dear god, please save me from your followers"

and

"JESUSLOVESYOU(and in smaller print underneath) everyone else thinks you're an a**hole"

akt2 5 years, 5 months ago

grammaddy it'll probably be sooner than later. Fred probaby has one foot in the grave. You rarely see him.

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

"Any story about the Phelps is worthless. Ignore them and their kind and they'll just blow away."

Yeah, but that's like saying that if humans weren't greedy then communism would work. 70 comments so far shows that we're somehow incapable of ignoring them.

LoveThsLife 5 years, 5 months ago

Margie-

I am sure you will be reading these comments because you and your clan revel in attention.

You are wrong. You were wrong to picket that young man's funeral. Your religious beliefs are bent on hatred and pride. You interpret things in a way to exalt yourself while condemning others. In Christian faith there is a commandment to love our neighbors. Your groups fails miserably to follow that admonition.

meggers 5 years, 5 months ago

It must be a heavy burden walking around with so much hatred in one's heart. As much as I despise the Phelps' antics, I also can't help but feel pity for the indoctrinated children and grandchildren of the patriarch. I can't imagine what it must be like to grow up in a family where hatred is both expected and rewarded.

I think a song is in order:

Lisa Rasor 5 years, 5 months ago

What everyone seems to forget about Fred is that he is a DISBARRED attorney. I gag everytime someone refers to him as the "Reverend". Yeah, Reverend Unethical.

jimmyjms 5 years, 5 months ago

Um, hey LJW: why in the hell would you publish this?

Disgusting, and stupid.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 5 months ago

My signs for Phred Phelps' funeral:

GOD HATES HATE SATAN LOVES PHRED

jbiegs 5 years, 5 months ago

I think we should organize a picketing campaign at the Phelps compound. Day after day, around the clock...let them know how we feel about them. We will tell them we are there for their own good and to save them. lol

bacon 5 years, 5 months ago

My wife worked for Hobby Lobby and after about a month of working there found out that a potion of every purchase goes to the WBC. So basically, by shopping there you are supporting Fred and his ilk. She quit once she found this out.

oliveoyl 5 years, 5 months ago

I remember in 1989 when I was 12 and saw this clan for the first time in Topeka. Fred was wearing tight biker shorts, a hawaiian shirt that exposed his chest and a tight hot pink cyclist hat. Needless to say that I was very confused considering the signs. I asked my dad about it and my dad laughed and said, "Well, it's possible he might be the very thing he hates which would explain why he is so fanatical" It is very sad to see someone hate themself so much that they poison the family and friends around them, especially the children. Misery loves company.

nomorebobsplease 5 years, 5 months ago

"These soldiers’ funerals are big, splashy, sloppy, self-indulgent, noisy affairs, with politicians, media, citizens and bikers piled up outside with flapping flags and mouths."

So, when our feverent prayers are granted and Phreddy himself kicks the bucket (and yes, I personally think he's a closet homosexual)....the funeral will be a quiet, modest affair with virtually no one in attendance? No outpourings of sincere grief from the family? No friends to comfort? No police presence to honor the dead?

Ahh, what am I thinking? I'll be there in a red dress, ready to dance. Any of y'all gonna join me?

madameX 5 years, 5 months ago

I"d heard the story about Hobby Lobby giving $$$ to the WBC to, so I emailed the company to ask about it and got a very prompt and courteous email back stating that it was not true and that the story probably got started because there is some big WBC donor who has a similar name to the CEO of Hobby Lobby (his name is David Green, so could be more than one). Take from that what you will, they could have been lying to me, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I do know that the Phelps family owns and operates a law firm, so if you're hiring and attorney in the Topeka area watch out.

Clevercowgirl 5 years, 5 months ago

The Phelps clan are christians? What happened to judge not, lest you be judged? These people are full of hatred. My daughter is in the military, and I cannot think of anything as disrespectful and hateful as picketing a funeral. Thank god for the bikers who shield these military families from a hateful demonstration aimed at cursing a deceased loved one. I don't really believe in hell, but if I did, It wouldn't be the soldiers going there, Phred & Phamily.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 5 months ago

I can't wait to picket Fred's funeral.

That's all I have to say about anything to do with the Phelps' or WBC.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

bacon, SERIOUSLY?! well..... won't be shopping at hobby lobby again anytime soon (not that i was a regular customer anyway but i'm just saying....)

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

jad, can you even imagine how many people will turn out at fred's funeral just to be deliberately rude?? seriously, it could shut the city of topeka-- i mean google, kansas-- down!

Calliope877 5 years, 5 months ago

The Phelps clan must be desperate for publicity.

Calliope877 5 years, 5 months ago

If Hell does exist, and if a family could be damned to go there, it's this f**ked up family.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 5 months ago

I hope Hobby Lobby doesn't support them, I shop there a lot! I just read the book Bleeding Kansas by Sara Paretsky and now wonder if a few of her characters were created with Fred Phelps in mind. The WBC reminds me of something off of Big Love. While I won't be sad when Fred Phelps dies, I won't be picketing his funeral. No need in giving the WBC the satisfaction.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 5 months ago

I have greatly enjoyed the sermons that have appeard here over the last couple of days.

Now does anybody know what happened to the newspaper that used to occupy this web address?

Clevercowgirl 5 years, 5 months ago

This is a Kansas newspaper, what do you expect us to discuss.....news?

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

"Looks like AtlasShrugging was a nom de plume for someone else."

I wonder if Invictus has hit 30 user names yet? It seems like me must have by now.

storm 5 years, 5 months ago

"Stop trying to silence words you don’t like while pretending this nation protects religious liberties, and obey God."

I think the problem is people think the Phelps god is theirs too.

Now if the Phelps yelled fire in the theater, then we can all agree what a fire is, and run.

Tom McCune 5 years, 5 months ago

IF "the nation’s doom is imminent" why are you still here, Margie? You must flee for your own safety. Flee far, far away. But where will you flee? There are no countries where hyper-Calvinism is the official state religion.

The UK has banned your very existence in their country. Your websites proclaim that "God Hates Sweden" and "God Hates Ireland" and a whole bunch of other countries, so you can't be safe there.

jackpot 5 years, 5 months ago

honeychild: What about "Will Rodger never met Fred Phelps"

MyName 5 years, 5 months ago

Unless that response is "I'm having a heart attack, Call 911" followed by the old nutcase's death rattle, I don't want to hear it.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

py, do you read dan savage? (savage love) what you said sounds like what he did w/ the name/word santorum. lol

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 5 months ago

I'll bet Fred likes his hotdogs without buns and lots of condiments. Bet he just piles on the mustard. http://www.jhuger.com/kisshankbutt.php

Calliope877 5 years, 5 months ago

"The only way the Supreme Court can say we can’t is by uprooting the Constitution entirely."

Not true, not unless they recognize this so-called "church" for the hate group that they really are. The KKK tried to pass themselves off as a religion for a long time. They had several good lawyers within their ranks who got them off for a while too. The only difference between the WBC and the KKK is that the WBC hasn't killed or physically harmed anyone yet; however, the hateful language they display on their picket signs should be taken as the equivalent of a burning cross or a hanging noose, both of which are symbols of hate.

The constitution does not protect hate groups.

Clevercowgirl 5 years, 5 months ago

@ Callipe877

I agree. They are a hate group. I went to Fiddler on the Roof with my sons several years back. The Phelpses were there saying that the actors were gay, certain groups eat scat, blah,blah, blah. Try to make sense of that horrific scene to an 8 year old. I was trying to educate my son, but this was Phar Phrom what I planned.

verity 5 years, 5 months ago

Interesting article in the March 19 National Post about Nate Phelps, one of the three children who escaped. Helps one understand why the ones remaining are the way they are. Quite sad, really.

Armored_One 5 years, 5 months ago

Certainly the author of such mindless drivel as this can see the true irony involved in their actions.

I am certainly willing to bet that were one of their family members to pass away, they would want the graveside services to be as they want them, not as the vast majority has every intention on doing, which is disrupting what, to them, is personal and private.

Every family that has a member in the military that perishes is actually given the option of a private ceremony or one that is more public. Most want the world to know that their family member gave their life to a higher ideal than simply themselves, which is a reasonable method for dealing with grief.

I have sat and witnessed several examples of how members of the Phelps family seem to insist on the "Do as I say, not as I do" mentality. I find i fairly comical to watch the passion and drive these individuals devote to their feverent beliefs. Whether they are right or wrong is not for me, or anyone else to decide, but the there are numerous examples of how the Supreme Court has abridged the right of free speech properly, such as the "Fire!" clause, which basically means you cannot yell fire in a crowded theater. Hate speech is also curtailed, as are other, more inane uses that no one truly misses.

There is no free speech in this nation, and we all know and accept it. We, as a whole, are not exempt to the consequences of our actions, and speaking is more certainly an action.

Perhaps if these individuals were to conduct themselves more properly, they wouldn't be on the receiving end of the same style abuse which they insist on inflicting on others. Even the monkies in the zoo realize that if they throw poo, they might get poo thrown back at them.

I do, however, find it absolutely hilarious that they do not protest funerals for soldiers that died in the line of duty in the deep South. Not Atlanta or Montgomery, mind you. I am talking the true deep South, where Bubba Joe might not take their antics as simple ravings of the ineffectual, and decide to punctuate his comments in return with a few rounds from Ol' Betsy or a tire iron.

Self preservation is a highly motivating force. When they pull a stunt like that, instead of remaining safely in the middle of the country where there aren't nearly as many "Good Ole Boys", I will at least admit that they have the gumption to truly follow through on their convictions. Until then, they are laughable. Walk by them, point and laugh. They can't legally touch you and you get the added benefit of irritating them for your own humor value.

Brent Garner 5 years, 5 months ago

Ms. Phelps: Having seen, quite by accident, one of your group's demonstrations I must state that certain of your signs depicting anal sex probably fall below the threshold of permissible public speach. But, that being as it may, the sign that really drew my attention was your group's assertion that God laughs when a sinner dies. While I hold no divinity degree, I will state that I have read both the Old and New Testament probably some 20 times during my lifetime. I am currently going through them again. In all of my many journeys through those sacred writings I have found many references to God weeping over His disobedient children, but not one in which He laughs when we commit sin. If such a passage exists would you be so kind as to write another letter to the editor explaining where you or your group found this passage? Afterall, your group has made such a claim openly and in a very public manner, surely you would feel confident explaining to the public where that reference comes from.

KSManimal 5 years, 5 months ago

Brent,

You're operating under the assumption that the Phelps clan have actually read the book they claim to preach from (or, for that matter, you're assuming they can read at all.....).

While I disagree 100% with everything the hate-mongering Phelp's have to say, I'm also proud to live in a country where they have the right to say it. As Ted Nugent once said, "freedom of speech is ultra-important so that stupid people will make their stupid statements so we'll know how stupid they are".

If the Phelp's hate America so much, I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who would gladly contribute to the "deport the Phelp's fund" to ship them to a different country where they would feel more at home. All they have to do is ask.

My hypothesis is that one day some greatly scandalous revelation will come forth through the news media; revealing the true source of Fred's rabid anti-gay crusade. Ever see "American Beauty"? Mark my words.....

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

brent, too intelligent a response for the phelps phamily. i'm sure that your logic would go far over their heads.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

well i am very proud of our high school students here in salina because phelps crew came here and were promptly met by about 300 high school aged kids who blocked their protest. most of these kids were from south high. i was very proud to be a salinan on that day. :)

monkey_c 5 years, 5 months ago

Aboutly baseless hearsay if you ask me. I used to work for Hobby Lobby too - there is no reason to believe any money is given to Westboro Baptist Church. I would argue that the Phelps family really haven't got much money at all and what they do have is settlement money from suing people. They are discusting and horrible and give Kansas and Christians a very bad name. I too am anxious to picket each and every one of their funerals and I just can't wait, can't be too soon as far as I'm concerned. I want to say thanks to the Patriot Guard for what they do to counter these tasteless, discusting, hateful, SINFUL and shameful funeral protests. I had decided not to post to this letter because they are desperate attention seekers. But I felt compelled to state that in my experience Hobby Lobby is a reputable company and I don't believe they give dollars to these morons unless there is some proof.

monkey_c 5 years, 5 months ago

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

"I want to say thanks to the Patriot Guard"

at my p-t retail job, one of these guys came thru my line and i took time out to thank him for what he did and i told him that he represents our country well. he seemed really happy to hear me say that but i betcha it wasn't the first time.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

fred phelps is living proof that there is, indeed, evil in this world. he is the lowest of the low. he makes people like rush limbaugh look honorable. i cannot personally think of anyone who sucks worse than fred phelps.

Jimo 5 years, 5 months ago

This nation’s doom is imminent. God will continue to smite this nation as long as the Phelps continue to speak Satan's words for him.

barlowtl 5 years, 5 months ago

What do you do when you are a lawyer who has been disbarred and lost your livelihood? You become "ordained", start a tax exempt church made up of your family members, live off the income from donations that are generated each time your outlandish performances are publicized and laugh all the way to the bank. Of course to succeed you must pick your topic wisely. He may be evil but he is not stupid.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

was hitler stupid? he was quite the strategist.

Tom McCune 5 years, 5 months ago

I can actually think of one Kansan who is worse than Fred Phelps: Sam Brownback. Pfred is so completely and obviously unhinged that even other hyper-fundamentalists usually don't take him seriously. Unfortunately, Sam has enough money to buy enough slick TV commercials that some people don't see that he is just as mentally unstable as Pfred.

todayiwill 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't understand why the LJW would think that it is okay to post something like this? Do they have nothing better to do with their time then to post some idiot's letter? I am the proud sister of a military offical and if they were to come protest at my sibling funeral, I know that all HE** would break loose. These soliders go out there and fight for our FREEDOM. I understand that it is freedom of speech and that is in the constitution, but really where does it stop? These men and women go through so much when they go into the military. Not only are they the ones that suffer but their families do also. They fight so that we can have the freedom that we do now. I think that the freedom of speech should have a limit. Why protest when the person you are protesting died for your freedom? God doesn't hate the gays, doesn't hate anyone. God said that he would be here forever and ever and loves each and every one of us for who we are. Whether we decided to believe that is our choice.

As far as some of you commenting about the Mayor's attempted sucidie, really do you have nothing else to do with your time? It was a HUGE mistake on LJW's part but it is done and over with now so get over it.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

pusscanthropus 5 years, 5 months ago

Ms Phelps is clearly a lunatic and an embarrassment to all Kansans. And I just don't get LJW for giving her a forum to spew her ignorance and hatred. Hey, Ms Phelps, I'm not scared of your mean old spiteful make-believe god.

jimmyjms 5 years, 5 months ago

"Vile as the Ph*lps' may be, they are still citizens of the United States."

BS. No one is censoring them - they've made their (specious) argument again and again. By giving them a platform to spew hatred, LJW is accomplishing nothing...except increasing posts, and selling ad space.

Kudos.

Just because someone writes a letter to the paper doesn't mean that it must (or should) be published.

bliddel 5 years, 5 months ago

I’m struck by multiple ironies.

First, that I have yet to meet anyone anywhere who agrees with the WBC, despite having met many who exhibit at least mild homophobia.

Second, that the respondents to this editorial by Margie Phelps are more united in their disdain for the WBC, and more civil in their discussion of this topic than perhaps any other topic I’ve read at LJW.

Third, that so many members of the Phelps family can pass the bar, without understanding the law well enough to avoid being disbarred.

Fourth, with all that is wrong in the world today, that the WBC can be so narrowly focused in their outrage. I guess they sincerely believe that crime, death, disease, natural disaster, and war would be perfectly OK as long as nobody was homosexual? But what about other non-conforming sex/gender conditions, some of which are indisputably genetic? Does God hate that which God created?

Fifth, what would the WBC have us do about the mere peaceful existence of homosexuals? Why don’t they tell us? Why don’t they endeavor to take such actions on their own? It would seem that for all the self-righteous complaining they do, they could take some kind of constructive action, instead of just complaining all the time…Unless they have no solutions, and all they want to do is complain.

If there is a creator, and there is to come a judgment day, I feel comfortable with the notion that it is not Mr. Fred Phelps who will come to judge the quick and the dead. But if the WBC is somehow absolutely correct about what God will do, then what’s their problem? Are they simply not entirely sure God will do the right thing unless they lobby heavily in advance? Have they no faith?

I happen to be a real big believer in the bill of rights, and in the other freedoms that have been made part of amendments to our US constitution. I hold the first and second amendments among the most precious of our individual rights. Still, IMHO, I find the legal arguments of the WBC to be completely vacuous.

I also believe that the stigma attached to mental illness is one that civilization must find a way to overcome. It appears to me that Mr. Phelps and his misguided followers have entirely lost touch with reality. We must not hate them. They need our compassion and therapy in the worst way. In the meantime, a little humility on the part of the WBC would go a long way toward improving their own emotional health. Sadly, many people abhor the notion of becoming more healthy.

Katara 5 years, 5 months ago

I think this man has stumbled upon a wonderful & creative way on protesting the Phelps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Of_2...

Jimo 5 years, 5 months ago

Brent Garner -- might I recommend 2 Kings 2:23-24 for your edification?