Archive for Wednesday, March 17, 2010

President Obama’s bracket champ: Kansas

March 17, 2010, 2:44 p.m. Updated March 18, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

President Barack Obama picks the Kansas Jayhawks to win the 2010 National Championship.

— The First Fan appears to be a big fan of basketball programs from Kansas.

President Barack Obama predicted Kansas University and Kansas State to join Kentucky and Villanova in the men’s basketball Final Four this season, with the Jayhawks defeating Kentucky for the title.

Obama filled out a bracket for ESPN for the second straight year Wednesday.

Last year, Obama correctly picked North Carolina to win the national championship. His bracket ranked 903,125th overall, just above the 80th percentile in ESPN’s online contest.

“He is 1-0, isn’t he?” Kansas coach Bill Self said. “I saw that. Since he was right last year, I think he’s a very wise man. Obviously, he’s a wise man anyway. Hopefully, it’ll play out to be true. I’m sure it’s all in good fun.”

Obama predicted in January that Kentucky would reach the national championship game when he called coach John Calipari to congratulate the program on raising more than $1 million as part of the “Hoops for Haiti” telethon.

Obama said he likes the Jayhawks’ experience, including senior guard Sherron Collins.

“Balanced team. They’ve got Collins in the backcourt. I always like teams in the tournament who’ve got experience,” Obama told ESPN’s Andy Katz. “Terrific guards.”

Kansas sophomore forward Markieff Morris certainly approved of the president’s pick.

“That’s my main man, now,” Morris said. “I smiled a lot. He chose North Carolina last year, and North Carolina won it. And he chose us this year. Maybe he can be right two years in a row.”

If things play out like Obama anticipates, the Jayhawks would have to beat Kansas State for the fourth time this season to reach the national championship game.

Asked if Obama had seen K-State coach Frank Martin and his menacing sideline glare, the president replied: “I have. He’s a scary dude. I could send him up to Congress to get them to vote for health care.

“I’ll tell you what, Kansas State impresses me,” Obama said. “They always play tough. And I think they’re going to be motivated. They get to the Final Four.”

Obama predicted several first-round upsets: No. 13 seed Siena over Purdue, 12th-seeded Cornell to beat Temple and Murray State to upset fourth-seeded Vanderbilt.

“I think it’s cool, man. I’m not sure that’s what the president should be doing all day,” Kansas sophomore Tyshawn Taylor joked. “He picked North Carolina last year. Hopefully, that’s good luck for us.”

Other teams that Obama likes include No. 1 seeds Syracuse and Duke, both of which he has losing in the round of eight, second-seeded West Virginia and No. 3 seed Georgetown.

“We want to go meet him,” Morris said of a potential trip to the White House. “That’s the only way we’re going to meet him is to win a national championship. That’s what we’re trying to do.”

— KU basketball beat writer Gary Bedore contributed to this story.

Comments

Pilgrim2 4 years, 1 month ago

1029 (anonymous) says…

Hey, Bush-haters, give it up already. Bush did fill out a bracket. He has the Lakers beating the 49ers.

From the guy whose bracket has the KC Wizards beating the Yomiuri Giants in the Finals.

1029 4 years, 1 month ago

beatrice 4 years, 1 month ago

autie ... big ouch. I believe you owe the President an epic apology.

XEPCT 4 years, 1 month ago

autie said "Idiot picked Murray State over Vanderbilt. epic fail there."

Who's the idiot? (it's you...)

parrothead8 4 years, 1 month ago

autie (anonymous) says… same final four as mine...hmmm??? Idiot picked Murray State over Vanderbilt. epic fail there.

Yeah...epic fail.

outtatowntownie 4 years, 1 month ago

Autie: Not so much an epic fail after all, eh?

notajayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

grammaddy (anonymous) says…

"Just for that, he gets my vote (again) in 2012."

Hurray, you finally found a reason!

Pilgrim2 4 years, 1 month ago

grammaddy (anonymous) says…

Just for that, he gets my vote (again) in 2012. The haters will commence in 5...4...3... rock chalk!!

He was going to get your looney left, knee jerk vote anyway. Now you're making excuses? Hmmmmmm.

Pilgrim2 4 years, 1 month ago

porch_person (anonymous) says…

If (and if) we maintain our intensity, we will win the National Championship. No other team can match us if we play with intensity. I really like our chances this year.

We? What position to you play, poochie? Left Out?

Spectators don't win.

Pilgrim2 4 years, 1 month ago

paulette2 (anonymous) says…

shout peace!

Hello, LPD? I believe we've found the Oread perp. Let's see, cleanup costs + fines + court costs... Should be (hopefully) very expensive.

demonfury 4 years, 1 month ago

beobachter - Someday you may get to analyze your comment and realize how ignorant you are for saying it. And to all who make this little story political, get a clue about your president. It's not about hating, it's about realizing exactly what he is and what he stands for. He's not the same man whobought the election last year with George Soros' money and tells the Supreme Court they made a mistake by allowing big business to participate in campaign finance. This is the guy who tried to force you all to pay for Nebraska's medicare so he could get the Senator's vote on his healthcare bill. He's no different than any previous president. Tell you want he thinks you wanna hear, and then do what he thinks will get him re-elected.

Camper - the public opinion is not 50/50 unless you're only watching MSNBC, and it doesn't matter, it's the lack of votes in congress that will kill the bill anyway. As it should be - dead. And come November, the congressional seat count for Democraps will change dramatically, thereby killing everything else Obama tries to ram down our throats for the balance of his only term. For the genuinely ignorant, if we want to fix the healthcare issue in America we must address service provider cost first and foremost. When insurance companies pay over $750.00 to read an MRI scan, we have major issues with the system from the core. Masking it by blaming insurance companies, and then trying to force American's to carry health insurance or pay a penalty, is just brain dead.

Personally, I think it's healthy for Obama to indulge a little in this March Madness. It gives him an opportunity to be a real person. The problem that I have with it is that it was presented on television as if it were the most important story of the day. It needed about 15 seconds of clarification to let America know that he has enjoyed filling out his bracket and he chose KU to win. But no, they devoted nearly a half an hour to the event as if it was state of the union headline news. That's what you get with liberal media, I shouldn't have been surprised. Either way, he's been wrong about nearly everything thus far, and I feel he will continue his pattern here.

beobachter 4 years, 1 month ago

toe, amazing how ignorant Obama haters are and lies they will tell.

toe 4 years, 1 month ago

If they do not win, he will hold congress in session until a law deeming KU to win is passed. He will do this even if reconciliation is required.

chasmo 4 years, 1 month ago

Wow that is spooky.. Me and the Prez pick the same final four and the winner. I hope he is right. I could use the money!

grammaddy 4 years, 1 month ago

Just for that, he gets my vote (again) in 2012. The haters will commence in 5...4...3... ROCK CHALK!!

beobachter 4 years, 1 month ago

pizzapete, you're right. Bush was too stupid to fill out a bracket and uncle Dick was too busy "protecting" us to do it for him.

riverdrifter 4 years, 1 month ago

pizzapete (anonymous) says… This woundn't have happened if Bush were in office.

You can say that again. He would've picked Texas to win it all.

riverdrifter 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm with Autie: the prez's final four is the same as mine. I need to check the No. 1 Dude's first round picks. That's the sticky wicket.

pizzapete 4 years, 1 month ago

This woundn't have happened if Bush were in office.

camper 4 years, 1 month ago

Dumbfox say's, "no one wants his health plan. Ok, ".

Actually, the Obama Health Plan is about 50/50 in public opinion. What do you mean when you say no one? God help it if anyone relies on you to be the decision man.

camper 4 years, 1 month ago

I knew only by reading the title and before driling in that someone would give the ole' "Doesn't he have anything better to do speach". Blackfox wins the prize.

I think it is possible, even if you are trying to solve a quadratic equation, or even by God, the President, you could walk outside and judge how the weather is. By the same token you could probably make a guess at who will win the NCAA tournament or how many home runs Pujols will hit this year, or albeit what the cafateria will be serving today.

Congratulations dumbfox.

XEPCT 4 years, 1 month ago

no kidding blackfox ... it's well documented that our president likes to ball, but he isn't allowed to relax a little and fill out a bracket? Lest you not forget, the eventual winners are rewarded with a trip to his home. :D :D :D Rock Chalk!!!!!

porch_person 4 years, 1 month ago

sundancewierdo 4 years, 1 month ago

He picked UNC last year and they won! I say he knows his basketball...

Kent Kossoy 4 years, 1 month ago

I wish the prez would get off my band wagon. With his support we could lose!

calvin 4 years, 1 month ago

This provides proof that any dumb a$$ can figure it out.

weegee 4 years, 1 month ago

blackfox--Congratulations on being the first person to make the obligatory inane comment.

yankeevet 4 years, 1 month ago

rock chalk Obama!!!!!!!!!!!! hoorah!!! Go KU

g_rock 4 years, 1 month ago

Maybe he put some money on this and when KU wins, he can help out the economy???

milehighhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Blackfox: You're right. He's not very smart and probably spent ALL WEEK fretting over his picks.

ralphralph 4 years, 1 month ago

I deem KU to be National Champions.

autie 4 years, 1 month ago

paulette2 4 years, 1 month ago

g rock - Kansas is -----purple AND crimson & blue!

g_rock 4 years, 1 month ago

See and I thought that he would have picked a school from a blue state?

paulette2 4 years, 1 month ago

SHOUT PEACE!

blackfox are you completely nuts?

we gave President George W. Bush enough rope and he hung all of us!

blackfox 4 years, 1 month ago

Doesnt he have more important things to work on? Oh thats right, he has already screwed up the ecconomy and no one wants his health plan. Ok, he has nothing better to do.

labmonkey 4 years, 1 month ago

Damn you Obama....you have cheapened the Tourney for me.