Letters to the Editor

Stereotyping

March 5, 2010

To the editor:

Even though I am inclined to somewhat agree with Mr. Coleman regarding the casual approach some people have to current events (Public Forum, March 3), I was taken aback as to the stereotyping of the employee. It is insensitive and archaic to refer to the person as young, female and blonde. It is 2010, not 1960. Next time, wake up and smell your coffee before you write such a tactless statement.

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 2 months ago

I agree with you. A few months ago I changed my hair color to blonde and I like it very much. However, a woman friend asked me if I wasn't worried because now everyone will assume I am stupid and vapid because I am blonde. In other words, yesterday as a redhead, I was bright, today as a blonde I am not. It really doesn't make sense in any way whatsoever. But, I don't think it is going to change any time soon.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

"It is insensitive and archaic to refer to the person as young, female and blonde." If that person was actually was young, female and had blonde hair, how would you suggest she be described?

denak 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm with Snap on this one. If she was young, female and blonde, she should be described as such.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

The ref to her hair color as a derogatory judgment was painfully obvious! lame and stupid.

Irish: "now everyone will assume I am stupid and vapid because I am blonde."

---oh, that assumption preceded your blonditude!

when I was an undergrad [yes the olden days] argentina invaded the Falkland Islands. Because of my hobby, I was immediately listening to the BBC's direct broadcast to the Falkland Islanders. quite moving and reminiscent of the BBC's broadcasts to oppressed peoples during WWII [not that I'd heard that matterial live I'll have you know!] I like knowing the current news.

the original letter writer, Richard Coleman, shame on him. how much of his money went into that "blond's" pocket? 20-cents?
hardly worth all of his attitude problem.

Shame on him: some people just don't pay attention to the news. part of the freedom we enjoy in the U.S. today is to take in or to ignore what we choose. we do not live under state controlled media like Canada. And readership for his treasured New York Times is in the tank because of its terrible bias.
and the best thing Mr. Coleman had to do that day was to write a letter to the editor to criticize some young female KU student, and make derogatory implication about her because of her hair color???

what's Coleman's hair color? bald? green?

labmonkey 5 years, 2 months ago

Jimo 5 years, 2 months ago

If young, female and blonde doesn't really represent a valid stereotype then why does Fox New Entertainment maintain a harem of them to appear on air to make vapid comments? "What did it mean when Hugo Chavez called Obama an ignoramus? I googled it. It's an ignorant lawyer. We all know Barrack Obama is a lawyer!"

Stuart Evans 5 years, 2 months ago

it's definitely not just the young female blondes who are missing out on current events. I'm surprised on a daily basis by the lack of give-a-damn in the world around us.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 2 months ago

Pogo, I would hope that she would turn it down, because everything comes with a price, and this is one she might not be willing to pay. Why describe the person at all? Why not just say that they were served coffee by someone who was unaware of what was going on in Haiti. Gnome, I know I am not stupid and so do you.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

Glad that they linked to the original letter. Missed it the first time, and the first comments were hilariously awesome.

livetocook 5 years, 2 months ago

Young, female and blondes live unprecedented.

(Something) bless you all.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

"An attractive young woman (blonde) brought me the coffee" For gratuitous punctuation I'd look at the guy askance but not make sweeping generalizations about his presumed lack of PCness.

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

Two blondes walk into a building.

You would think one of them would have seen it.

mickeyrat 5 years, 2 months ago

If one goes with the "how else would I describe the employee?" rationalization, I think it should be required to describe one's self as well.

If Mr. Coleman had said "I'm a crotchety, overweight, balding stink-factory," being served coffee by a "young (blonde) female," I don't think his letter would have seemed so patently offensive. The fact that he didn't also describe himself suggests that he might think being judged by his looks "unfair."

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

Irish: Gnome, I know I am not stupid and so do you.

---wrong. recall the Birka blog of yours that went through one or more evolutions? blogging on things you do not understand, even standing in support of the radical abuse of women?

further, claiming to bbe a strong catholic yet rampantly disobedient to your bishops...
well, QED.

the negative blond ref of the writer Coleman was really obvious because the description of her had no other purpose.

I do laugh at blond jokes [i.e. why do the blond's shoes say "tif" on them? why do the blond's bras say "tif" on them?] however those refer to blonds in the abstract, not some poor underpaid college student.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

and FGS Norml and Coleman: not everybody needs to be plugged in to current events by the second! it is actually a good thing to get "unplugged" from time to time.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 2 months ago

Gnome, I do consider myself to be a practicing Catholic though I do not feel obligated to obey the bishops. That is the kind of thing that led to all the child abuse with parents telling their children they had to accept it, because it was someone in authority doing it. I don't believe that all of the Muslim women who wear traditional dress that is decent and modest think of themselves as oppressed. They don't envy American women who strut around in public wearing scanty clothing. If you disagree with my opinions, fine. Could you find some way to refrain from calling me stupid? I know that I am not.