Archive for Thursday, March 4, 2010

Facing ethics probes, Rangel drops leadership

March 4, 2010

— Buffeted by ethics inquiries, veteran New York Rep. Charles B. Rangel stepped down Wednesday as chairman of the House’s powerful tax-writing committee, delivering a fresh political jolt to a Democratic Party already facing angry voters.

The action also muddied the congressional picture on taxes, coming as the House moves toward difficult debate over large automatic increases that lie just over the horizon. The outcome will affect tens of millions of American taxpayers.

Rangel’s relinquishing of the Ways and Means Committee gavel spared colleagues from having to vote on a Republican-sponsored resolution to strip him of his post. But it also focused attention on ethical lapses by a top leader of a party that had promised to end a “culture of corruption” when it regained control of Congress in 2006 from Republicans.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 9 months ago

"But it also focused attention on ethical lapses by a top leader of a party that had promised to end a “culture of corruption” when it regained control of Congress in 2006 from Republicans."

I'm with the teabaggers-- let's get rid of these amateurs, and get the Republicans back in charge, cause they know how to do corruption right.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

Rangel violated the number 1 rule of corrupt Democrats, don't get caught.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 9 months ago

"I'm certain his litmus test for any pending legislation is 'how does it benefit me?'"

Unfortunately, even if it's not their only consideration, the need to generate $millions in campaign cash means 90% of the members of congress have to ask that question.

Rex Russell 4 years, 9 months ago

I'd have to agree with Bozo on this one. You get a choice of bungling, slightly clueless, self-centered, ethically challenged, crooked Congress(wo)men. The Democrats. -or- Very stream-lined, very proffessional, knows exactly how to screw you, ethically challenged, crooked Congress(wo)men. The Republicans. Very little difference. Just different flavors and different packaging.

Stymied Government, Partisanship and Stupidity in Government live unprecedented

barrypenders bless us all

jaywalker 4 years, 9 months ago

"I'm with the teabaggers"

Thanks for the glimpse into your personal life.

That being said, I too ( wave of nausea) have to agree with bozo's coherent point.

And Rex, you made me snort I laughed so loud. Gracias.

Rex Russell 4 years, 9 months ago

Glad I could provide a good spit-take for you JW.

Corruption, Unemployment and Hypocracy live unprecidented