Archive for Thursday, June 17, 2010

School board proposes freezing teacher pay for 2010-2011

June 17, 2010

Lawrence school board negotiators Wednesday made a first offer that would freeze teacher pay for next school year.

“It’s not to say anything about how we feel about teachers. It only has to do with the budget times that we have,” said Frank Harwood, the board’s chief negotiator. “After cutting $4.6 million and trying to save as many jobs as we could, we don’t feel like we can make an offer for increasing salaries.”

Lawrence Education Association negotiators didn’t formally respond, but Lois Orth-Lopes, the LEA negotiations chairwoman, called it a first offer and said her side needed to discuss its counteroffer. “We recognize that times are really tight financially, but we still need to get the best that we can for staff, especially movement on the salary schedule,” she said. “We have teachers that have taken classes to move across the schedule horizontally, and we’re obviously going to propose that they get their movement.”

Last year, the two sides agreed the board would add $523,000 to spread among the district’s salary schedule for 2009-2010, but Wednesday’s offer would mean all teachers’ salaries would stay at the same level for 2010-2011.

The state’s budget crisis forced board members in March to cut $4.6 million, including not renewing contracts for more than 30 teachers. As part of the cuts, school and district administrators will take five furlough days as part of saving $100,000.

Board negotiators did offer Wednesday to contribute $497,000 more for 2010-2011 to cover an expected 14 percent increase in health insurance costs on the single base plan for teachers. Employees must pay to upgrade plans or to insure family members, and costs for those plans are also expected to jump 14 percent.

The two sides are to return to the negotiating table at 7 p.m. Monday at district headquarters, 110 McDonald Drive.

Comments

bobberboy 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks teachers for putting up with all the cr@p that's constantly thrown you way. You are much much more important than your salaries reflect.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

School boards have plenty of money. Talk to your bloated, do nothing chair warming overpaid administrators.] I will not get a raise this yr, and only got a small one last yr. But gotta hand it to them. Teachers are world-class whiners.

clown_hater 3 years, 10 months ago

Teachers chose the career they're in. Don't like it? Get the heck out of it.

Chris Christie, Governor of NJ sums up what most Americans are feeling and thinking about the "teachers" whining.

rhd99 3 years, 10 months ago

Look, folks, as someone who is LOOKING for a job, teachers & those here who have friends or loved ones in school admin. jobs, I have a worst case scenario for all of you to consider. Do teachers deserve pay raises? Of course they do, because they prepare our children for the future. Where school district admin. come in this picture, well, they make more than teachers. Now, for those of us looking for jobs (like myself), brace yourselves for this: I am reading in websites elsewhere that employers WILL NOT accept applications from people who, like myself, were laid off (for reasons BEYOND our control). Yet, THOSE employers will not listen, EVEN IF the former employer writes a letter on one's behalf stating that the layoff was not performance related. Rather, it was based on business decisions. So, if anyone out there wants to complain about pay scales, your situation is nothing like mine. Be happy you have a job!

rhd99 3 years, 10 months ago

commuter 3 years, 10 months ago

Didn't the administrators & support staff have to take a pay cut??? They did, why should the teachers not have to one one also??? I yeah I forgot they have a union that "discusses" pay scales.

macon47 3 years, 10 months ago

at least the are not telling them they cannot be sick on mondays and fridays so they canstill go shopping with the girls

that is the biggest waste of taxpayers money and how some of the teachers, (not the good ones) get even with their (low pay) for only working 9 months a year

runningscooter 3 years, 10 months ago

First of all the last day of school was somewhere around May 23rd. Teachers go back to work on Aug. 9th, so they're not out for 3 months. That was the old days. You'd be crazy to think they're not working 2nd jobs, in their classrooms and answering emails from parents during their time off. They don't do this job for money although it's of course how they take care of their own. Trust me, they're not living high on the hog. I'm so thankful that I'll have great teachers in this district to send my kindergartner to next year.

anon1958 3 years, 10 months ago

School teachers should be getting raises even if most other people are not. Eventually the teachers must be paid far closer to the importance of their work.

Note: I am not a teacher and have never worked at the elementary or secondary level, nor do I expect to ever return to the field of education.

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

HIlary, if you are on your way to a second job. Please don't tell me you teach economics. I know what teacher make and if you need a second job to pay your mortgage they you bought more house than you can afford. You get paid for twelve months but your actual schedule if for 9 months... are you paying attention?

hilary 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm a teacher of 7 years, and I worked for about 5 hours today. I'm currently on my way to my second job so I can afford to eat and pay my mortgage. That "teachers have a 9 month job" thing doesn't hold water, sorry. And school starts in early August, now. Have you been paying attention?

bobberboy 3 years, 10 months ago

most teachers just like teachin kids - it turns them on. Pay is usually the furthest thing from their minds. So they probably won't have a problem with it. Thanks teachers !!

lawrenceguy40 3 years, 10 months ago

The salaries are pretty good for a 9 month job. Most teachers teach because, a) they can't do anything else, (b) they feel they are doing society a favor indoctrinating our kids with their liberal views and (c) they enjoy the summers off. I'd mind children 9 months of the year for their money!

hail2oldku 3 years, 10 months ago

I'd take that pay freeze over the pay cut that I've taken the last two years.

Not sure what welfare state whatadrag enjoys living in, but I wouldn't chose to live off the government's teet.

newmedia 3 years, 10 months ago

Last time I checked no raise was better than no job.

craigers 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm all for the teacher's pay being frozen. I haven't gotten a salary increase in over 3 years while all other costs have gone up. Does this measure include freezing administrator salaries?

anitliars 3 years, 10 months ago

A. I think teachers should be paid more than most people, considering that they are intrusted with our children and futures. Very important work.

but

B. Show of hands - who in the last year (or longer) has gotten any raises?

jackson5 3 years, 10 months ago

The math doesn't add up. The district cut $4,645,655 last spring. It was composed of two parts: state cuts (3,995,000) and health insurance increases (649,655).

Now they offer the teachers $497,000 for health insurance costs. So there is at least another $152,655 of savings floating around. Where is that money going if not to our teachers?

It is worth noting that the district has actually made other cuts in addition to those approved by the board. The total cuts now exceed $4.6M. But that is a topic for another post.