Archive for Thursday, June 17, 2010

School board proposes freezing teacher pay for 2010-2011

June 17, 2010

Lawrence school board negotiators Wednesday made a first offer that would freeze teacher pay for next school year.

“It’s not to say anything about how we feel about teachers. It only has to do with the budget times that we have,” said Frank Harwood, the board’s chief negotiator. “After cutting $4.6 million and trying to save as many jobs as we could, we don’t feel like we can make an offer for increasing salaries.”

Lawrence Education Association negotiators didn’t formally respond, but Lois Orth-Lopes, the LEA negotiations chairwoman, called it a first offer and said her side needed to discuss its counteroffer. “We recognize that times are really tight financially, but we still need to get the best that we can for staff, especially movement on the salary schedule,” she said. “We have teachers that have taken classes to move across the schedule horizontally, and we’re obviously going to propose that they get their movement.”

Last year, the two sides agreed the board would add $523,000 to spread among the district’s salary schedule for 2009-2010, but Wednesday’s offer would mean all teachers’ salaries would stay at the same level for 2010-2011.

The state’s budget crisis forced board members in March to cut $4.6 million, including not renewing contracts for more than 30 teachers. As part of the cuts, school and district administrators will take five furlough days as part of saving $100,000.

Board negotiators did offer Wednesday to contribute $497,000 more for 2010-2011 to cover an expected 14 percent increase in health insurance costs on the single base plan for teachers. Employees must pay to upgrade plans or to insure family members, and costs for those plans are also expected to jump 14 percent.

The two sides are to return to the negotiating table at 7 p.m. Monday at district headquarters, 110 McDonald Drive.

Comments

jackson5 4 years, 6 months ago

The math doesn't add up. The district cut $4,645,655 last spring. It was composed of two parts: state cuts (3,995,000) and health insurance increases (649,655).

Now they offer the teachers $497,000 for health insurance costs. So there is at least another $152,655 of savings floating around. Where is that money going if not to our teachers?

It is worth noting that the district has actually made other cuts in addition to those approved by the board. The total cuts now exceed $4.6M. But that is a topic for another post.

anitliars 4 years, 6 months ago

A. I think teachers should be paid more than most people, considering that they are intrusted with our children and futures. Very important work.

but

B. Show of hands - who in the last year (or longer) has gotten any raises?

avoice 4 years, 6 months ago

And who is not entrusted with responsibilities to our economy, our welfare, and our future? Let's get real. Teachers are very valuable members of society. But it is a false assumption that they are any more valuable than anyone else who is making a substantial and sustained contribution to society. When I hear people talk about how this profession or that profession is more important than another, I imagine myself in a position where I need a (fill in the blank) and everyone around me is a (fill in the blank) instead. You get the idea.

Southwester 4 years, 6 months ago

state workers haven't gotten a raise in two years

Liberty275 4 years, 6 months ago

My contract stipulates my pay based upon what certifications I have. I just passed two in the spring and got a 25% raise.

craigers 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm all for the teacher's pay being frozen. I haven't gotten a salary increase in over 3 years while all other costs have gone up. Does this measure include freezing administrator salaries?

newmedia 4 years, 6 months ago

Last time I checked no raise was better than no job.

avoice 4 years, 6 months ago

You may be right. A lot of people are doing much better getting the extended Federal unemployment money than they could do if they took part-time employment or a low-wage job.

hail2oldku 4 years, 6 months ago

I'd take that pay freeze over the pay cut that I've taken the last two years.

Not sure what welfare state whatadrag enjoys living in, but I wouldn't chose to live off the government's teet.

JayhawksandHerd 4 years, 6 months ago

What exactly is stopping you then? Get your teaching credential and do it! Seriously, maybe your time would be more wisely invested in pursuing any number of routes to certification instead of posting comment after tired comment following any and every story that even remotely has anything to do with teaching.

urka 4 years, 6 months ago

if your 70 years old you probably don't have that much time left so why waste it here. i know why: you are scared. you are old and times have changed. people no longer buy into the crap that was taught to you when you were young. look around and you'll see that we are living through a movement away from capitalism and the banks that have controlled our government for so long. conservatism will be gone when every racist, ignorant, closed-minded, old republican is gone. time for your sponge-bath old man

hilary 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm a teacher of 7 years, and I worked for about 5 hours today. I'm currently on my way to my second job so I can afford to eat and pay my mortgage. That "teachers have a 9 month job" thing doesn't hold water, sorry. And school starts in early August, now. Have you been paying attention?

hilary 4 years, 6 months ago

Try that math again, consumer...teachers have a two-month break, not a three-month break. Paying for my Master's Degree has been expensive, so yes, having a second job has been very important in making things work. Thanks for trying.

Liberty275 4 years, 6 months ago

KU paid my tuition and an additional stipend of $500 per month for teaching while getting my Master's Degree.

LOL. Math.

thebigspoon 4 years, 6 months ago

Liberty, in 4 months you have had nothing good to say about anything but yourself in over 1100 knee-jerk posts. How in hell do you think you got your post-grad degree but with the guidance of the teachers you so cavalierly put down? Do you honestly (and I mean HONESTLY, if you can comprehend that) say that the very people who helped make you the great success you obviously think you are are undeserving of the pay they receive? What nerve and braggadocio you show, unlinked to any kind of thoughtful processes. Think about what you're saying: the teachers who deserve no pay increase because they have a vacation, who taught you how to think and learn (even though you obviously missed the parts about logic and sensitivity) are the very people who got you your degree(s) in the first place. Have the sense to think before you throw idiotic platitudes at us in the guise of conservative thoughtfulness. You have no reason to be so high and mighty in the face of the fact that you learned all you know from the very people you so easily dismiss as slackers. I do not like you at all, not because of your politics but because you don't think. Reacting against everything is neither constructive nor a very good commentary on your own critical thinking skills. Straighten up, comment thoughtfully, or go stand on the street corner and spout your brand of idiocy along with the guy who wants us to "honk for hemp." You both show about the same intelligence.

Liberty275 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't remember "putting down" any teachers. Are you sure you read the right post before going off on your rant?

You just need to think a little higher. Grow some legs.

idiotic platitudes at us in the guise of conservative thoughtfulness

On the day you find yourself genuinely to the left of me on most issues your liberal friends will want nothing to do with you.

You are confused. Re-read the thread paying careful attention to the usernames.

I do not like you at all

Are you supposed to like everyone?

not because of your politics but because you don't think

You aren't in a position to lecture me on thinking or politics.

Straighten up

LOL. Advice noted.

spout your brand of idiocy

I like my brand of idiocy. It is all mine. You should try coming up with some of your own instead of being just another lazy mouthpiece for labor unions.

honk for hemp

My sign would be more like "honk for the personal liberty to do with your body as you wish".

Oh, yeah, and I'm not a teacher.

Why would anyone think you are?

urka 4 years, 6 months ago

the fact that you use the term LOL gives me every reason not to be conservative. you are an adult so why do you use the same terms as a thirteen-year-old. with as much education as you claim to have you obviously aren't aware that this is 2010 not 2007.

urka 4 years, 6 months ago

you are my hero even if i didn't make chamber

anon1958 4 years, 6 months ago

School teachers should be getting raises even if most other people are not. Eventually the teachers must be paid far closer to the importance of their work.

Note: I am not a teacher and have never worked at the elementary or secondary level, nor do I expect to ever return to the field of education.

runningscooter 4 years, 6 months ago

First of all the last day of school was somewhere around May 23rd. Teachers go back to work on Aug. 9th, so they're not out for 3 months. That was the old days. You'd be crazy to think they're not working 2nd jobs, in their classrooms and answering emails from parents during their time off. They don't do this job for money although it's of course how they take care of their own. Trust me, they're not living high on the hog. I'm so thankful that I'll have great teachers in this district to send my kindergartner to next year.

commuter 4 years, 6 months ago

Didn't the administrators & support staff have to take a pay cut??? They did, why should the teachers not have to one one also??? I yeah I forgot they have a union that "discusses" pay scales.

rhd99 4 years, 6 months ago

Look, folks, as someone who is LOOKING for a job, teachers & those here who have friends or loved ones in school admin. jobs, I have a worst case scenario for all of you to consider. Do teachers deserve pay raises? Of course they do, because they prepare our children for the future. Where school district admin. come in this picture, well, they make more than teachers. Now, for those of us looking for jobs (like myself), brace yourselves for this: I am reading in websites elsewhere that employers WILL NOT accept applications from people who, like myself, were laid off (for reasons BEYOND our control). Yet, THOSE employers will not listen, EVEN IF the former employer writes a letter on one's behalf stating that the layoff was not performance related. Rather, it was based on business decisions. So, if anyone out there wants to complain about pay scales, your situation is nothing like mine. Be happy you have a job!

rhd99 4 years, 6 months ago

urka 4 years, 6 months ago

he's republican... i'm shocked (sarcasm in case you really are as stupid as your comments)

TopJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

School boards have plenty of money. Talk to your bloated, do nothing chair warming overpaid administrators.] I will not get a raise this yr, and only got a small one last yr. But gotta hand it to them. Teachers are world-class whiners.

urka 4 years, 6 months ago

I go to FreeState. We can't afford paper so the teachers give us extra credit to bring a rack of printing paper in which isn't cheap. If we can't even buy paper then how the hell do you expect us to be able to pay our teachers fairly.

oh but your right were just whining... without paper or money.

maybe we should put bush back in power. he put us from a budget surplus to $10 trillion in debt and a recession. perhaps he should just finish the job and put us in a depression. surely that would be better than giving our President Obama a little faith.

you people kill me