Archive for Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Law enforcement officials detain suspect in stabbing along bike path in west Lawrence

Lawrence police officers and Douglas County sheriff deputies detain a suspect in a stabbing incident along the bike path near Clinton Lake. William E. Nichols was arrested after a 15-minute manhunt in the area between the YSI softball fields and the Clinton Lake Dam Wednesday, June 16, 2010.

June 16, 2010, 3:32 p.m. Updated June 17, 2010, 8:06 a.m.

Law enforcement officers chase after a suspect in a stabbing along the bike path near Clinton Lake. A man was arrested after a 15-minute manhunt between the YSI softball fields and the Clinton Lake Dam Wednesday, June 16, 2010.

Paramedics tend to the victim of a stabbing along the bike path between the YSI complex in South Lawrence and the Clinton Lake Dam. Police were searching for the suspect in a wooded area.

A suspect was detained Wednesday afternoon in a stabbing that occurred near YSI fields.

Suspect detained after stabbing incident

A suspect was detained Wednesday afternoon after reportedly stabbing a woman on a bike path in west Lawrence. Law enforcement officials followed the man into the nearby woods and took him into custody upon finding him. Enlarge video

A 30-year-old Lawrence man was arrested Wednesday for allegedly stabbing a 23-year-old Lawrence woman as she was riding her bike along a path just east of Clinton Lake Dam Road.

“Some passersby saw the attack happen, and it scared him off,” said Lawrence Police Sgt. Bill Cory.

The man was booked into the Douglas County Jail on charges of aggravated battery, criminal use of a weapon, aggravated kidnapping, forcible rape and sexual battery. Typically, suspects are booked on the maximum conceivable crimes. The suspect has not yet been charged.

A witness called police about 3:15 p.m., and law enforcement was dispatched to the 900 block of East 1300 Road south of Lawrence, but the incident occurred in the 900 block of North 1300 Road.

After a search of about 15 minutes, officers took the suspect into custody.

According to police, officers from the Kansas Highway Patrol, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and the Lawrence Police Department responded to the call.

The woman was transported to a local hospital with serious but nonlife-threatening injuries.

“Everybody we think involved in this incident, suspect-wise, is in custody,” Cory said.

Comments

youngjayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

That's scary! In broad daylight, in the middle of the day ... OMG!

ralphralph 5 years, 2 months ago

Every road in DG Co seems to have at least three names. Backwardsland. Update and clarify. Simplicity aids response.

Kris_H 5 years, 2 months ago

I don't llive in DG CO and I agree that the system of road names and numbers is very confusing. If I don't have landmarks and a clear explanation of where I'm going, I can't find addresses out in the county, even with a map and a navigator.

slowplay 5 years, 2 months ago

Did it even cross that minuscule brain of yours that whomever called it in gave the wrong directions?

rgh 5 years, 2 months ago

It says they were dispatched to east 1300 road not they were dispatched to north 1300 road but went to east 1300 road. Lawrence should reconsider how they name certain streets so this doesn't happen so easily. It could have cost this woman her life.

Momofallboys 5 years, 2 months ago

any more info?! Did the victim and suspect know one another? Gezz I walk over there all the time!!

persevering_gal 5 years, 2 months ago

I walk over there all of the time as well. Scary to think that would happen anywhere in Lawrence, but more so when that's where I spend a lot of my time. Now I'm not so embarrassed to be carrying around my mace when I go running. I hope the person who was stabbed is doing alright.

Erin Graham 5 years, 2 months ago

Don't pick up any hitch hikers on k10 today.. unless they have beer :o)

Sita 5 years, 2 months ago

My little girl and I walk there sometimes. I definitly need more details on this one.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 2 months ago

"Code Yellow." So not critical, but not minor.

Momofallboys 5 years, 2 months ago

do you know if it was a personal thing or just random?? Was the person robbed?

somedude20 5 years, 2 months ago

"Paramedics tending to the victim reported the victim has serious injuries and were transporting the individual to a local hospital"

Jessie Stoltenow 5 years, 2 months ago

If you play softball at Clinton or baseball at YSI tonight, be careful and don't let your kids run off... unless the creep is found!! This is very scary. We play ball in that area almost every night of the week. He could be anywhere.

Susan Rickman 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm going to just go ahead and guess that softball is cancelled tonight anyway.

Susan Rickman 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm going to just go ahead and guess that softball is cancelled tonight anyway.

Bunny_Hotcakes 5 years, 2 months ago

The good news is if you're out there playing softball you're generally hanging around people carrying, you know, bats.

maxcrabb 5 years, 2 months ago

+1! (the mental image you just gave me brightened my day more than you can ever imagine)

fester0420 5 years, 2 months ago

no he cannot be anywhere he is in jail cant you read

workinghard 5 years, 2 months ago

He hadn't been caught yet when the story was first released. It has been updated 2 or 3 times since this remark was made.

West_Sider 5 years, 2 months ago

Pedaling up the bike patch pavement at o dark thirty is always a spooky thing. Now that I have read this, I definitely have more to worry about than just the skunks that I am always concerned about encountering.

Joshua Montgomery 5 years, 2 months ago

Agreed, the area between the arbor and the first water fountain is very dark and secluded. It often gives me the creeps.

The county/city need to put in lights along this path.

yankeevet 5 years, 2 months ago

lights?? just issue glocks............lol

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 2 months ago

FYI, we'll get an actual picture of the arrest soon, but that's the best we could give you quickly. Our cell phone cameras don't have the zoom of our primary cameras, but our primary cameras can't send back from the field.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 2 months ago

JK, that photo of the viewing screen of the SLR is pretty cool, imho.

penguin04 5 years, 2 months ago

If you use a microSD card in your camera you could pop the card into your cell phone and transmit the SLR images that way. Unless he has an iPhone, in which case he's just screwed.

Wendy magillicutty 5 years, 2 months ago

eye-fi makes SD that upload wirelessly to your pc/mac or photo share site. Love it.

Bridgett Wagner 5 years, 2 months ago

Definitely would like to know the circumstances here - did they know each other or was it random?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 2 months ago

On a lonely trail like that, my guess is ordinary person meets loonatic.

anonymous456 5 years, 2 months ago

Lawrence PD's press release says that there is no indication that the suspect knew the victim. http://www.lawrencepolice.org/Press/100616_Media%20Release_06_16_2010.pdf

whats_going_on 5 years, 2 months ago

Yikes...thats really scary, especially if the person was just a completely random victim. I ride my bike over there and take my dog to the park. :\

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 2 months ago

Well, you get the award for biggest jerk comment. Because we all know a random act of violence is the perfect opportunity to make a political statement. Go back under your rock, troll.

corduroypants 5 years, 2 months ago

Get that IQ up and someday we can call you Lawrenceguy50. You can do it!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 2 months ago

Apparently you haven't read any of his other comments.

Jeff Cuttell 5 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, you're right, he probably was a Republican.

Curtis Martell 5 years, 2 months ago

That ol' boy is gonna have some chigger bites.

5 years, 2 months ago

Hey LJW, how's about someone actually proof this as if you were a reader. What questions still need to be asked here? We all would like to know if the victim was an acquaintance of the stabber, or was he/she a cyclist or walker/jogger? I use these trails every week! I would like that information. Once again your "reporting" seems like blind repeating of what little information is spoon fed to you by LPD. Let's ask a question every now and then. It's your job!

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 2 months ago

Hi sense_of_the_common--

We're working on getting answers to all of those questions. But far, police have declined to answer them. Until that time, we're going to give you everything we have. When we get that information, we'll give you that as well. But there's NO REASON whatsoever to wait to release important information just because we don't have everything we'd like to have.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

5 years, 2 months ago

Jonathan, I'm just saying that when you don't have the questions that your readers will want answered and the police aren't talking, call someone else. You could have spoken to the witness, to the EMT's, to hospital admitting, to an ER nurse, etc....

Thank you for promptly posting the update from LPD though, about victim's age, sex, and activity when the attack occurred. But for 3 and a half hours anyone who would have checked the website would be under-informed, sucked in by the sensational headline and photo with little substance underneath.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 2 months ago

OMG, My wife and I walk that path all the time.

I_Bejewel 5 years, 2 months ago

I haven't been there for a while but I often run out there. This scares the crap out of me.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 2 months ago

Why is everyone shocked about shady people on the bike trails? The new path in east Lawrence we call the "Hobo Highway".

tanaumaga 5 years, 2 months ago

I thought the hobo highway, i.e. bum superhighway, ran parallel to ninth street between the shelters and jenson's,cork and barrel? Can we give the Burroghs trail a different name? I don't want to confuse the two.

lllwll 5 years, 2 months ago

The pic and article states that the man was detained then arrested. Don't give us the name of the person that was detained.

Give us the name of the person arrested.

lllwll 5 years, 2 months ago

Yes, to see if your related so that I can post a reply about your defense.

kernal 5 years, 2 months ago

You and Sense of the Common related?

Thats_messed_up 5 years, 2 months ago

This is what happens when a LJ World poster leaves his parents basement and goes for a walk.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 2 months ago

Hi all--

Updated that the victim did not know the suspect and that the victim was riding her bike along the path when she was attacked. Also that she was a 23-year-old Lawrence woman.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Momofallboys 5 years, 2 months ago

wow. That's insane. I am out there ALL the time. Thanks for updating us. I hope that the victim is okay and that this jerk goes to jail for a very long time.

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

Not long enough, hopefully he'll be missing a piece or two.

Evan Ridenour 5 years, 2 months ago

I run on that path every day. It is not unusual for there not to be other people on the path with me. This is pretty scary.

whats_going_on 5 years, 2 months ago

good job letting all the other nutjobs out there know where you're going to be daily. Don't piss anyone off! ;-)

workinghard 5 years, 2 months ago

Recalling the snow shoveling turn in marathon.

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

Darn Multi, I missed it, was it good?

whats_going_on 5 years, 2 months ago

he probably like jumped out and startled her or something, might have lost control of the bike. YIKES. :(

Isaias Shannon 5 years, 2 months ago

I also run and ride this path weekly. It is actually one of the few places that I have not felt fear for my safety. Isolated, yes, but usually the only folks that would be out there would be other walkers/runners etc. Scary to think this happened out there.

puddleglum 5 years, 2 months ago

don't' worry everybody...I ride this path three times a week and always carry the .380 with me. any funny business, and I'll stop and put on my super-citizen cape.

weeslicket 5 years, 2 months ago

rolled through most of this.
my apologies to all previous posters.

read everything from jkealing on this topic. thank you jkealing. nicely done.

my first impression (which was looking at the photo of the man in question) was: look how thin he is. this is a desparate man taking desparate measures.

so, my first impressions: mostly sadness.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

I hope one of the LEOs hitched the guy's pants up after the photo was taken.

riverdrifter 5 years, 2 months ago

I mean, good thing they're wearing rubber gloves. Thet guy's probably wormy... Get him back to the slammer & hose him off.

roggy 5 years, 2 months ago

wow - I walk with my dog on that path all of the time. I often only see one or two other people - that actually was the beauty of it. Just think what could have happened if this young woman had been walking. This scares the h*ll out of me! This will certainly change my habits!

Erin Graham 5 years, 2 months ago

Thank you LPD and the SO! Gotta say, that guy looks cracked out! Thank goodness someone caught this while it was happening, before it got any worse.

1234 5 years, 2 months ago

Good grief, Guess Ill have to start carrying while riding my bike...... this town is crazy the last month or so.

Liberty275 5 years, 2 months ago

My wife and I go to the batting cages every now and again. We each carry our own bats as she can't swing the one I use. If this bozo had attacked her, she'd have gone a good way towards defending herself and I would have finished it.

Any man that attacks a woman gets deserves what he gets.

Fatty_McButterpants 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh my god! A crime happened! Time to run to the panic room and wonder what has happened with the world.

I love the posturing that people do with these kinds of stories... "Well, if this had happened to my wife, she'd have taught him his A,B,C's, and I would have taken him the rest of the way to graduation!" Please. Your wife would've been freaking out just like this woman likely did.

IrishCat 5 years, 2 months ago

I agree with the comment above stating that we are now appearing to be a good place for a transient population to come to. I am originally from California with my family still living there, and I have to tell you, it's very disheartening to see people, families, drunks, on every single intersection of the city there begging for money. I have experienced no money and hard times in my life as well and you just have to buck up and get a second job or whatever it takes to get through the rough spots. Some of these people have begging as their career. On a good day they can make a couple hundred dollars, why should they work? I've even gone so far as to give someone a bag of food because their sign said they were hungry and needed money to eat - only to see the person through the food bag in the trash as soon as I was out of sight. I know people get down on their luck, I've been there, but let's not open up an oasis to the homeless that will only entice more crazy/violent people like this guy to flock to our city.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 2 months ago

is he wearing a Jethro Bodine original belt?

BruceWayne 5 years, 2 months ago

pretty sure this guy was featured in Style Scout a few weeks back. What would you like to see less of in Lawrence? "Oh you know...bikes, shirts, cops, showers,..."

yankeevet 5 years, 2 months ago

Conceal and carry; he is lucky he did not attack someone who has a conceal and carry permit; or he would of been glockonized.............no need for medics; just bring a body bag for this knife carrying bandido.........

coolmarv 5 years, 2 months ago

I have envisioned a mountain lion or something jumping out of the tall grass there (bike path) but not a person. It just goes to show that no where is safe and nut jobs are everywhere. I would have considered this a very safe place to walk/ride and still do, during day light hours. There are usually a number of persons on the path. If this guy spent 5 minutes there he would have known that. You just have to be aware at all times no matter where you are. Sometimes you just can't avoid danger. If the victim would have stayed home that day she could have been attacked in her home. Probability is most likely the same.

yankeevet 5 years, 2 months ago

So; true; nut jobs everywhere; conceal; carry; and neutralize the threat.....

whats_going_on 5 years, 2 months ago

ohhh I know...I'm always afraid of big animals when I'm at the dog park. Perhaps now I'll rethink the threat?

That or I need to find a dog who will protect me and not get spooked at the drop of a pin.

rcr 5 years, 2 months ago

It looks like it would be Booking#: 10-2798 from yesterday's booking recap

tanaumaga 5 years, 2 months ago

what happens if someone gets the drop on you ,unconceals your weapon, and neutralizes you? not a threat, just a question. the gun toters seem to think that the weapon they carries makes them invincible.

yankeevet 5 years, 2 months ago

no; but it does give u an advantage; and if he gets the drop on you; and he is on top of you; just gently reach down for you concealed boot knife; and slide into his ribcage; and i assure you the party would be over.

puddleglum 5 years, 2 months ago

that's right, the gun only comes out if you are willing to use it.

Blessed4x 5 years, 2 months ago

Gee...he doesn't look like a criminal.

xfactor 5 years, 2 months ago

.380 Ruger LCP fits great in the back pocket of a bike jersey. Takes up less space than carrying a spare tube.

puddleglum 5 years, 2 months ago

ruger LCP is what I have...taurus makes a nice one too..the TCP 738 very similar. I can grab mine while on the bike and be ready to defend myself very quickly. glaser safety slugs are neat, but better for in-house situations. In open area, the best bet is good ol' hydra-shox. Not worried about knock down power. Anything in the chest has a way of subduing the attacker pretty good. Also, the orbital area is what I practice aiming for. If you are close enough, the ear hole exposes the greatest vulnerabilty.

iridebikesalot 5 years, 2 months ago

Well I'm glad to know that my waterbottle cage modification into a gun holster is finally going to pay off...

50YearResident 5 years, 2 months ago

What's with the cops wearing latex gloves while bringing this guy in? Is that because he is a homeless transcient with BO?

Adrienne Sanders 5 years, 2 months ago

Since he stabbed someone I"m guessing he might have blood on him.

whats_going_on 5 years, 2 months ago

Don't they usually wear gloves for protection and to protect evidence, etc?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 2 months ago

Well, the charges on the booking recap (#10-2798) seem to imply that this was an attempted rape. And by yet ANOTHER person on N. Michigan.

This is unnerving. Rape, I do not like you.

IrishCat 5 years, 2 months ago

I agree with the comment above stating that we are now appearing to be a good place for a transient population to come to. I am originally from California with my family still living there, and I have to tell you, it's very disheartening to see people, families, drunks, on every single intersection of the city there begging for money. I have experienced no money and hard times in my life as well and you just have to buck up and get a second job or whatever it takes to get through the rough spots. Some of these people have "begging" as their career. On a good day they can make a couple hundred dollars, why should they work? I've even gone so far as to give someone a bag of food because their sign said they were hungry and needed money to eat - only to see the person through the food bag in the trash as soon as I was out of sight. I know people get down on their luck, I've been there, but let's not open up an oasis to the homeless that will only entice more crazy/violent people like this guy to flock to our city.

naturalist 5 years, 2 months ago

Article talks about stabbing but note that he was also charged with forcible rape and sexual battery. A horrible, violent incident; I feel for the young woman and hope she is okay. Dgls County please do some clearing of the paths (visibility) and add some lighting (solar powered?).

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 2 months ago

I don't think "clearing" and "lights" would have changed this situation. She was in a lonely, isolated place. If the perp and victim were the only ones around, this could have happened at 9th and Mass.

no_thanks 5 years, 2 months ago

Whether this person is or is not homeless is irrelevant as the act he committed was both willful and malicious, and I expect an appropriate level of justice will be rendered.

Lawrence is becoming an attractive location for transients, as well as, the homeless. I have compassion for the homeless that are truly down on their luck and are willing to work their way out of a hole, but those who come and put additional stress on our limited resources needs to move on. And, I'm not talking about food and shelter. Per the 2009 Annual Report from the Lawrence Community Shelter, they had 422 police calls to the shelter in 2009 (112 were for trespassing, 45 for Disturbance (no weapon), 32 for battery, 14 for wanted person and 13 for theft). Further, of the 311 intakes they had in 2009, 55% had substance abuse issues. Only 70% of the intakes were from Lawrence/Douglas County. So, the taxpayers are "giving" to the Shelter in many different ways. How long will that be tolerated?

Kontum1972 5 years, 2 months ago

mb his basketball tickets were compromised....and he was just tiny bit upset...

fester0420 5 years, 2 months ago

people need to remember attack can happen any where not just rough areas of town. just be smart. its no reson to stay in scared

BruceWayne 5 years, 2 months ago

no name by the LJW yet, but did get the ages in there. all about the ages. how old was the witness? how old is the arresting officer?Kealing?

Kris_H 5 years, 2 months ago

This is very scary to me; I know a lot of young, and some not so young, women who bike these trails. May all be safe and may the young woman heal and recover, in body and spirit.

Some bike patrols on the trails, would that help?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 2 months ago

Correct me if I'm wrong... but this guy is NOT homeless. He lives on Michigan St.

Thats_messed_up 5 years, 2 months ago

Is it a STABBING or is it a RAPE???????????????????? Pathetic article! The headline should be RAPE and Stabbing on Bike trail! Nice sugar-coating Lawrence media!

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 2 months ago

We believe it was an attempted sexual assault. Not completed and certainly not a completed rape — but we're not certain. Once we get formal charges, perhaps today or later tomorrow, we'll be able to clarify exactly what happened. Police reports in sex crimes are restricted, which makes this incident harder to report.

tanaumaga 5 years, 2 months ago

you obviously haven't been reading any of this...but your caps key and question mark key are in splendid form.

trinity 5 years, 2 months ago

there is a more complete story on the kc star "breaking news", just finished reading that...

mrbig 5 years, 2 months ago

I go here all the time right by the dog park, and feel lucky that it wasn't me he got. He should feel lucky that he didn't run into me, since when I go out there I am walking my 3 pit bulls. :)

beim 5 years, 2 months ago

There would be MUCH less violent crime if Lawrence was further from the interstate. Take a look at Manhattan. Only about 10 miles from the interstate and it has 90% less of this messed up sh*t. I've lived in Manhattan for 6 years and here in Lawrence for two and I feel that Manhattan is a much safer place hands down. Whos with me to push the interstate 10 miles to the north?! We'll get all the comuters a fast entry point to get to work ect. but if we did that I would bet that the violent crime goes down by some percentage.

tanaumaga 5 years, 2 months ago

this isn't little house on the prairie.

kernal 5 years, 2 months ago

A follow up story posted by Janet Reid today. Based on her story, it's likely he has priors elsewhere and the police are probably checking that possibility as well as the other two local incidents Janet wrote of today. I don't think he is a Lawrence resident, but temporarily had a Lawrence address and came here as a transient. Just because he gave the LPD a Lawrence address doesn't mean it's his residence.

jayhawk2003 5 years, 2 months ago

He doesn't have priors and he's not orginally from lawrence.. and i know who he is

jayhawk2003 5 years, 2 months ago

not for sexual assualt.. maybe other stuff.

repaste 5 years, 2 months ago

We heard that it was a lady who stopped this crime and she was hurt in the process. I hope she is ok, and thank her for being there.

pace 5 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like she was lucky and a bad guy is nabbed. Thanks to the passersbys. I hoped they helped her, Wasn't clear from the story. I''m am more interested in people who stand up than those who use other people's terror to pump their own agenda's. Making the story become about them, how they think it is because, of social programs, politics, lack of religion, too much religion or the parent's fault.

ktowndog 5 years, 2 months ago

what up guys i know this guy personally he was born here in Kansas he moved away 6 or 7 years ago he was my homie but he always have had some real mental issues come from good home you know but he always been on the deep end thought when I heard he had a kid he was gonna be ok but this really threw me a rocking curve ball I grew with him you know my family knew his family I hung out at his parents house all the time really has shook me up. he recently moved back but then moved away and came back now I sit and wonder was there a reason for all this moving so quick you know.

NewsWatcher2010 5 years, 2 months ago

Hey ktowndog. I knew Billy from Yahoo chat. I remember when he moved to GA to be with the woman who became the mother of his child. He always had some drama in his life and stayed with her for quite a while. She finally had enough of him freeloading off of her but unfortunately by then she already had a baby by him. As screwy as his girlfriend was (I'm not gonna type her name.) at least she saw what a wack job he really was. She told me on several occasions that there was definately something wrong with him besides the fact that he wouldn't hold a job etc. Anyway I don't understand it either. I hope he's off the streets for good now.