Archive for Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Law enforcement officials detain suspect in stabbing along bike path in west Lawrence

Lawrence police officers and Douglas County sheriff deputies detain a suspect in a stabbing incident along the bike path near Clinton Lake. William E. Nichols was arrested after a 15-minute manhunt in the area between the YSI softball fields and the Clinton Lake Dam Wednesday, June 16, 2010.

June 16, 2010, 3:32 p.m. Updated June 17, 2010, 8:06 a.m.

Law enforcement officers chase after a suspect in a stabbing along the bike path near Clinton Lake. A man was arrested after a 15-minute manhunt between the YSI softball fields and the Clinton Lake Dam Wednesday, June 16, 2010.

Paramedics tend to the victim of a stabbing along the bike path between the YSI complex in South Lawrence and the Clinton Lake Dam. Police were searching for the suspect in a wooded area.

A suspect was detained Wednesday afternoon in a stabbing that occurred near YSI fields.

Suspect detained after stabbing incident

A suspect was detained Wednesday afternoon after reportedly stabbing a woman on a bike path in west Lawrence. Law enforcement officials followed the man into the nearby woods and took him into custody upon finding him. Enlarge video

A 30-year-old Lawrence man was arrested Wednesday for allegedly stabbing a 23-year-old Lawrence woman as she was riding her bike along a path just east of Clinton Lake Dam Road.

“Some passersby saw the attack happen, and it scared him off,” said Lawrence Police Sgt. Bill Cory.

The man was booked into the Douglas County Jail on charges of aggravated battery, criminal use of a weapon, aggravated kidnapping, forcible rape and sexual battery. Typically, suspects are booked on the maximum conceivable crimes. The suspect has not yet been charged.

A witness called police about 3:15 p.m., and law enforcement was dispatched to the 900 block of East 1300 Road south of Lawrence, but the incident occurred in the 900 block of North 1300 Road.

After a search of about 15 minutes, officers took the suspect into custody.

According to police, officers from the Kansas Highway Patrol, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and the Lawrence Police Department responded to the call.

The woman was transported to a local hospital with serious but nonlife-threatening injuries.

“Everybody we think involved in this incident, suspect-wise, is in custody,” Cory said.

Comments

niles 3 years, 10 months ago

ktowndog 3 years, 10 months ago

what up guys i know this guy personally he was born here in Kansas he moved away 6 or 7 years ago he was my homie but he always have had some real mental issues come from good home you know but he always been on the deep end thought when I heard he had a kid he was gonna be ok but this really threw me a rocking curve ball I grew with him you know my family knew his family I hung out at his parents house all the time really has shook me up. he recently moved back but then moved away and came back now I sit and wonder was there a reason for all this moving so quick you know.

pace 3 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like she was lucky and a bad guy is nabbed. Thanks to the passersbys. I hoped they helped her, Wasn't clear from the story. I''m am more interested in people who stand up than those who use other people's terror to pump their own agenda's. Making the story become about them, how they think it is because, of social programs, politics, lack of religion, too much religion or the parent's fault.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

If these pvssies feel they need to wear rubber gloves just to walk someone to the police car then they shouldn't be cops at all. Law enforcement is a hands-on job, we don't need little girls who are afraid of getting dirty, on the police force.

repaste 3 years, 10 months ago

We heard that it was a lady who stopped this crime and she was hurt in the process. I hope she is ok, and thank her for being there.

kernal 3 years, 10 months ago

A follow up story posted by Janet Reid today. Based on her story, it's likely he has priors elsewhere and the police are probably checking that possibility as well as the other two local incidents Janet wrote of today. I don't think he is a Lawrence resident, but temporarily had a Lawrence address and came here as a transient. Just because he gave the LPD a Lawrence address doesn't mean it's his residence.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

ain't none of my cuzins that thin...but we are more the drinkin cousins which tends to add pounds.

beim 3 years, 10 months ago

There would be MUCH less violent crime if Lawrence was further from the interstate. Take a look at Manhattan. Only about 10 miles from the interstate and it has 90% less of this messed up sh*t. I've lived in Manhattan for 6 years and here in Lawrence for two and I feel that Manhattan is a much safer place hands down. Whos with me to push the interstate 10 miles to the north?! We'll get all the comuters a fast entry point to get to work ect. but if we did that I would bet that the violent crime goes down by some percentage.

trinity 3 years, 10 months ago

there is a more complete story on the kc star "breaking news", just finished reading that...

mrbig 3 years, 10 months ago

I go here all the time right by the dog park, and feel lucky that it wasn't me he got. He should feel lucky that he didn't run into me, since when I go out there I am walking my 3 pit bulls. :)

Thats_messed_up 3 years, 10 months ago

Is it a STABBING or is it a RAPE???????????????????? Pathetic article! The headline should be RAPE and Stabbing on Bike trail! Nice sugar-coating Lawrence media!

g_rock 3 years, 10 months ago

Jonathan,

Why was the information about this being a suspected rape withed for so long? If the information was available, why was it intentionally left out? To me, it totally changes the entire tone of the story. More importantly, slipping that info into the story later without much note almost trivializes that aspect.

Thank you in advance, G.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 10 months ago

Correct me if I'm wrong... but this guy is NOT homeless. He lives on Michigan St.

Kris_H 3 years, 10 months ago

This is very scary to me; I know a lot of young, and some not so young, women who bike these trails. May all be safe and may the young woman heal and recover, in body and spirit.

Some bike patrols on the trails, would that help?

BruceWayne 3 years, 10 months ago

no name by the LJW yet, but did get the ages in there. all about the ages. how old was the witness? how old is the arresting officer?Kealing?

fester0420 3 years, 10 months ago

people need to remember attack can happen any where not just rough areas of town. just be smart. its no reson to stay in scared

Kontum1972 3 years, 10 months ago

mb his basketball tickets were compromised....and he was just tiny bit upset...

no_thanks 3 years, 10 months ago

Whether this person is or is not homeless is irrelevant as the act he committed was both willful and malicious, and I expect an appropriate level of justice will be rendered.

Lawrence is becoming an attractive location for transients, as well as, the homeless. I have compassion for the homeless that are truly down on their luck and are willing to work their way out of a hole, but those who come and put additional stress on our limited resources needs to move on. And, I'm not talking about food and shelter. Per the 2009 Annual Report from the Lawrence Community Shelter, they had 422 police calls to the shelter in 2009 (112 were for trespassing, 45 for Disturbance (no weapon), 32 for battery, 14 for wanted person and 13 for theft). Further, of the 311 intakes they had in 2009, 55% had substance abuse issues. Only 70% of the intakes were from Lawrence/Douglas County. So, the taxpayers are "giving" to the Shelter in many different ways. How long will that be tolerated?

MacHeath 3 years, 10 months ago

That would be a horrifying incident to have to live through. I am glad she got away, but she probably is in quite a mental state. Pillory the man, and give her a cat of nine tails.

naturalist 3 years, 10 months ago

Article talks about stabbing but note that he was also charged with forcible rape and sexual battery. A horrible, violent incident; I feel for the young woman and hope she is okay. Dgls County please do some clearing of the paths (visibility) and add some lighting (solar powered?).

IrishCat 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree with the comment above stating that we are now appearing to be a good place for a transient population to come to. I am originally from California with my family still living there, and I have to tell you, it's very disheartening to see people, families, drunks, on every single intersection of the city there begging for money. I have experienced no money and hard times in my life as well and you just have to buck up and get a second job or whatever it takes to get through the rough spots. Some of these people have "begging" as their career. On a good day they can make a couple hundred dollars, why should they work? I've even gone so far as to give someone a bag of food because their sign said they were hungry and needed money to eat - only to see the person through the food bag in the trash as soon as I was out of sight. I know people get down on their luck, I've been there, but let's not open up an oasis to the homeless that will only entice more crazy/violent people like this guy to flock to our city.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 10 months ago

Well, the charges on the booking recap (#10-2798) seem to imply that this was an attempted rape. And by yet ANOTHER person on N. Michigan.

This is unnerving. Rape, I do not like you.

xfactor 3 years, 10 months ago

The zombie apocalypse has begun...

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

Dude - Look at him. I'm surprised they aren't in Hazmat suits.

50YearResident 3 years, 10 months ago

What's with the cops wearing latex gloves while bringing this guy in? Is that because he is a homeless transcient with BO?

iridebikesalot 3 years, 10 months ago

Well I'm glad to know that my waterbottle cage modification into a gun holster is finally going to pay off...

xfactor 3 years, 10 months ago

.380 Ruger LCP fits great in the back pocket of a bike jersey. Takes up less space than carrying a spare tube.

Blessed4x 3 years, 10 months ago

Gee...he doesn't look like a criminal.

lawrenceguy40 3 years, 10 months ago

What are they putting in the water in Michigan Street? Three major crimes associated with folks living on that street in the last two weeks.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

Meth meth meth meth meth meth Meth meth meth meth meth meth Meth meth meth meth meth meth Meth meth meth meth meth meth Meth meth meth meth meth meth Meth meth meth meth meth meth Meth meth meth meth meth meth Meth meth meth meth meth meth

tanaumaga 3 years, 10 months ago

what happens if someone gets the drop on you ,unconceals your weapon, and neutralizes you? not a threat, just a question. the gun toters seem to think that the weapon they carries makes them invincible.

coolmarv 3 years, 10 months ago

I have envisioned a mountain lion or something jumping out of the tall grass there (bike path) but not a person. It just goes to show that no where is safe and nut jobs are everywhere. I would have considered this a very safe place to walk/ride and still do, during day light hours. There are usually a number of persons on the path. If this guy spent 5 minutes there he would have known that. You just have to be aware at all times no matter where you are. Sometimes you just can't avoid danger. If the victim would have stayed home that day she could have been attacked in her home. Probability is most likely the same.

rcr 3 years, 10 months ago

It looks like it would be Booking#: 10-2798 from yesterday's booking recap

yankeevet 3 years, 10 months ago

Conceal and carry; he is lucky he did not attack someone who has a conceal and carry permit; or he would of been glockonized.............no need for medics; just bring a body bag for this knife carrying bandido.........

g_rock 3 years, 10 months ago

Is there more to this story? I just looked at the booking recap trying to match it up. Maybe you could post the charges against this guy?

Hydra 3 years, 10 months ago

I never worry about where I walk. I look mean enough that even druggies leave me alone.

BruceWayne 3 years, 10 months ago

pretty sure this guy was featured in Style Scout a few weeks back. What would you like to see less of in Lawrence? "Oh you know...bikes, shirts, cops, showers,..."

Stuart Evans 3 years, 10 months ago

is he wearing a Jethro Bodine original belt?

JackFrost 3 years, 10 months ago

This is obviously a case of steroid abuse. Roid Rage Gone Wild.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 10 months ago

Note..in the 70's...most guys looked this thin naturally. Even after they had been married for several years. America hadn't gotten fat yet. This was what American men looked like..lean with a little natural muscle from regular work. Yes, he needs a shave and all, but this could have been most any guy I went to high school or college with. Not on meth, drugs. Just the local guys. (That had necks)

papakeno 3 years, 10 months ago

So, is this one of the folks that we continuously debate about where to relocate. And I'm not saying he is a recent addition to our homeless, just guessing. But honestly, not to take away from the importance of inner-city homeless, but it seems a lot of crime is committed by them.

Lawrence is to small for all this craziness. I think we are beginning to attract the ones we think we are helping. If we have caught the nation's eye for this agenda, then maybe we've lost touch with what Lawrence really is?

At what point does a social agenda override ones right to enjoy their town that they contribute to and expect a safe environment to live in.

I realize the Good Morning America episode was a filler piece between former comrads, but honestly, can't we focus on something other than the need to care fo the homeless. I believe we are attacting the violent ones, home away fom no home.

I expect the same old comments to roll in:)

Fatty_McButterpants 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh my god! A crime happened! Time to run to the panic room and wonder what has happened with the world.

I love the posturing that people do with these kinds of stories... "Well, if this had happened to my wife, she'd have taught him his A,B,C's, and I would have taken him the rest of the way to graduation!" Please. Your wife would've been freaking out just like this woman likely did.

rocc_steady 3 years, 10 months ago

never let him out, the filthy bastard

Liberty275 3 years, 10 months ago

My wife and I go to the batting cages every now and again. We each carry our own bats as she can't swing the one I use. If this bozo had attacked her, she'd have gone a good way towards defending herself and I would have finished it.

Any man that attacks a woman gets deserves what he gets.

1234 3 years, 10 months ago

Good grief, Guess Ill have to start carrying while riding my bike...... this town is crazy the last month or so.

Erin Graham 3 years, 10 months ago

Thank you LPD and the SO! Gotta say, that guy looks cracked out! Thank goodness someone caught this while it was happening, before it got any worse.

roggy 3 years, 10 months ago

wow - I walk with my dog on that path all of the time. I often only see one or two other people - that actually was the beauty of it. Just think what could have happened if this young woman had been walking. This scares the h*ll out of me! This will certainly change my habits!

gvnobas 3 years, 10 months ago

Ray_Finkle: He actually looks like a typical meth addict. Those and sexual perverts have been hanging around there for years; this may be the first time one stabbed a jogger..

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

I hope one of the LEOs hitched the guy's pants up after the photo was taken.

weeslicket 3 years, 10 months ago

rolled through most of this.
my apologies to all previous posters.

read everything from jkealing on this topic. thank you jkealing. nicely done.

my first impression (which was looking at the photo of the man in question) was: look how thin he is. this is a desparate man taking desparate measures.

so, my first impressions: mostly sadness.

MacHeath 3 years, 10 months ago

Not a bad idea, blue73harley. If someone doesn't want to carry a lethal weapon, there are tazers. 300 bucks or so, with a light and laser sight. The company will even replace it, if you loose it defending yourself. You shoot em, drop the device and run for the cops. They won't go anyplace for a good long time.

macon47 3 years, 10 months ago

bike and running paths are not patroled or protected and you have no civil rights , in fact your attacker has a better chance of getting off, than getting prosecuted in douglas county

I CAN APPRECIATE FOLKs WANTING A HEATHLY LIFESTYLE

BUT DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY COMMON SENSE??

you might find running releases endorphins and makes you feel better all day. plus you get that sense of well being

but if someone kills you, you are dead

and i am sorry, but even if you dont hate the cops they cant help you

gvnobas 3 years, 10 months ago

The only thing to do now is for everyone to apply for conceal-carry and carry a firearm when jogging, biking, hiking, etc.

Violet 3 years, 10 months ago

I also run and ride this path weekly. It is actually one of the few places that I have not felt fear for my safety. Isolated, yes, but usually the only folks that would be out there would be other walkers/runners etc. Scary to think this happened out there.

g_rock 3 years, 10 months ago

Middle of the day....other people around saw it going on, she was on a bike (and probably faster than him?).....what the h*ll was this guy thinking????

Eride 3 years, 10 months ago

I run on that path every day. It is not unusual for there not to be other people on the path with me. This is pretty scary.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 10 months ago

Hi all--

Updated that the victim did not know the suspect and that the victim was riding her bike along the path when she was attacked. Also that she was a 23-year-old Lawrence woman.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Thats_messed_up 3 years, 10 months ago

This is what happens when a LJ World poster leaves his parents basement and goes for a walk.

macon47 3 years, 10 months ago

I BET IT IS ILWLLS STEP BROTHER IN LAW AND HE STILL OWES HIM FOR FIXIN HIS PLUMBIN ILWILL NEEDS THE MONEY TO GET HIS DEER HEAD MOUNTED

lllwll 3 years, 10 months ago

The pic and article states that the man was detained then arrested. Don't give us the name of the person that was detained.

Give us the name of the person arrested.

g_rock 3 years, 10 months ago

At least have a better excuse now for not running there....rather than just my lazy butt.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 10 months ago

Why is everyone shocked about shady people on the bike trails? The new path in east Lawrence we call the "Hobo Highway".

macon47 3 years, 10 months ago

I THINK ALL OF THESE WALK AND BIKE TRAILS ARE A MAGNET FOR PERVERTS,

WHY ANYONE WOULD THINK THEY ARE SAFE IS BEYOND ME.

WHY WOULD YOU EVEN THINK YOU ARE SAFE ON THESE WHEN YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A TARGET.

HOW STUPID ARE YOU?

Mike Willoughby 3 years, 10 months ago

Hey LJW, how's about someone actually proof this as if you were a reader. What questions still need to be asked here? We all would like to know if the victim was an acquaintance of the stabber, or was he/she a cyclist or walker/jogger? I use these trails every week! I would like that information. Once again your "reporting" seems like blind repeating of what little information is spoon fed to you by LPD. Let's ask a question every now and then. It's your job!

I_Bejewel 3 years, 10 months ago

I haven't been there for a while but I often run out there. This scares the crap out of me.

jumpin_catfish 3 years, 10 months ago

OMG, My wife and I walk that path all the time.

Curtis Martell 3 years, 10 months ago

That ol' boy is gonna have some chigger bites.

waka2 3 years, 10 months ago

dude i think that i have sen that guy at the shealter befor!

lawrenceguy40 3 years, 10 months ago

He probably watched barry o last night and couldn't take it anymore.

Even losers have some standards.

whats_going_on 3 years, 10 months ago

Yikes...thats really scary, especially if the person was just a completely random victim. I ride my bike over there and take my dog to the park. :\

Bridgett Wagner 3 years, 10 months ago

Definitely would like to know the circumstances here - did they know each other or was it random?

penguin04 3 years, 10 months ago

If you use a microSD card in your camera you could pop the card into your cell phone and transmit the SLR images that way. Unless he has an iPhone, in which case he's just screwed.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 10 months ago

JK, that photo of the viewing screen of the SLR is pretty cool, imho.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 10 months ago

FYI, we'll get an actual picture of the arrest soon, but that's the best we could give you quickly. Our cell phone cameras don't have the zoom of our primary cameras, but our primary cameras can't send back from the field.

fuku 3 years, 10 months ago

I like how we get a picture of the picture via camera's viewfinder, but not the actual picture. Failboat.

West_Sider 3 years, 10 months ago

Pedaling up the bike patch pavement at o dark thirty is always a spooky thing. Now that I have read this, I definitely have more to worry about than just the skunks that I am always concerned about encountering.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

Another good reason for "right to carry" !

js02 3 years, 10 months ago

If you play softball at Clinton or baseball at YSI tonight, be careful and don't let your kids run off... unless the creep is found!! This is very scary. We play ball in that area almost every night of the week. He could be anywhere.

Sita 3 years, 10 months ago

My little girl and I walk there sometimes. I definitly need more details on this one.

Pywacket 3 years, 10 months ago

Am I missing something or is there no mention of the severity of the victim's injuries? Were they light or severe? Is the victim in good condition--or even okay enough to have been released by now? That would be nice to know.

Erin Graham 3 years, 10 months ago

Don't pick up any hitch hikers on k10 today.. unless they have beer :o)

Momofallboys 3 years, 10 months ago

any more info?! Did the victim and suspect know one another? Gezz I walk over there all the time!!

youngjayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

That's scary! In broad daylight, in the middle of the day ... OMG!