Archive for Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lawrence teen — missing since May 29 — found in Shawnee County

June 9, 2010

Police found a Lawrence teenager Wednesday who had runaway from his mother’s North Lawrence home and been missing since May 29.

Sgt. Bill Cory, a Lawrence police spokesman, said officers found 13-year-old Stevie Drake in Shawnee County. Cory did not release other specifics about where or how Stevie was found, other than to say he was not harmed.

“Yep, he’s fine,” Cory said.

Stevie’s mother, Shirley Morriss, filed a police report May 29 after he left the house without permission after she told him that he could not go swimming. Morriss said Stevie had run away before but never been missing for so long.

Family and friends posted fliers with Stevie’s photo in Lawrence and created a Facebook group that has more than 3,500 members.

Morriss’ sister Elizabeth Alvarez Wednesday afternoon posted a message on Facebook notifying group members Stevie had been found.

In a phone interview Alvarez said she had little information. She said Morriss’ attorney, Jim Rumsey, had said the family should post a message saying Stevie had been found.

“We’re getting ready to meet with police,” Alvarez said.

Cory said because the case is classified as a runaway or “child in need of care” case, Stevie will be taken to a juvenile intake facility. Authorities there will make a decision about whether to release him to parental custody, Cory said.

Comments

preciousmoments 3 years, 10 months ago

My thoughts are still with this precious child,Lord may your continued protection guard over him,surround him with your ever lasting love.Teach him your ways and may he one day be able to know that surely your hand of protection was upon him and his brother all along.

My heart thinks of the bible verse that tells us precious are those childern in the eyes of the Lord.Thank you Lord that when we fail,you are there to guide and direct our footsteps.Thank you for your continued hand of protection. I love you Bubbers and Andy. Jesus loves the little childern and so do we. Hugs,Love and Daily Prayers

Machiavelli_mania 3 years, 10 months ago

Stevie is a darling child and a great worker. He is willing to face his fears. He is respectful. He is smart. And I am found of this child.

Dixie Jones 3 years, 10 months ago

Maybe you people whom are being arm chair therapist are in the wrong line of work.. shouldnt we all just be happy this young child has been found safe and sound. shouldnt we leave the rest to his family to deal with. Unless you have expierenced this first hand you have NO right to point fingers and assume. and maybe next time before you go trashing someone elses family you should rattle the bones in your own closets..Stevie we are all thrilled that you have been found safe and sound, we dont care why you left we dont care what mom is going to do to assure this never happens again all we care is that you are safe...THATS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING...

brother_cumulus 3 years, 10 months ago

Running away today...drugs and jail tomorrow. This kid has a bright future.

g_rock 3 years, 10 months ago

And those of you that know the family involved....you may want to think twice about divulging much personal information about the situation. The more you are spilling here about the mother, the father, mom's boyfriends and the kid himself....the more complicated you are making the matter. Think about if this were your own kid...would you want this info here for everyone to read?

RidgeRunner 3 years, 10 months ago

Them there goons in the bushes!!??!! see'm? Dare no spooks in dem dare trees 'an bucskes!! OH YEAH

Read between the lines folks. I'd bet the child was with "the other half" of the immediate family all week. Still not right, but the LPD knew it, and knew he was safe. From a previous story, where did the father live,again?

Lets hope, for the kids sake, that the Mother and Father work their differences out like adults and use there heads for what they're meant for. It goes both ways i'd guess.

Again, good job LPD

xratedsgirl 3 years, 10 months ago

i dont understand y ppl cant just be happy and not agrue religous belief if you believe you believe if you dont you dont and you should not push your beliefs onto others. i dont understand y ppl who know nothing of this family can sit here and say anything about their situation. i do not know them so therefore i willl not assuming anything,that is why we have child protective services to check these things out not the general population,and if you want to be so nosey and know these situations first hand go get a degree and get a sw job,this world needs more ppl who care and who dont pass judgement isnt that what your christ says anyways, some ppl would rather find someone to blame maybe he just wanted to get away from whatever for a minute what if things are bad what if he was not running from something or someone but to someone....you dont know and your not in the situation so shut up with your assuming it only makes an a** out of both parties.listen to your christ and dont judge......

amrose42683 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm so happy that Stevie has been found. After this much time goes by, it makes one wonder if it was really a simple runaway or not. However, I'm disappointed to see so many people jumping to the conclusion that the parents did something wrong. Kids runaway everyday for some of the smallest reasons. The younger they are, the more absurd the reasons could be. "My mom never lets me do what I want to do!" I wouldn't rule out trouble at home, but I also wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it was the parents' fault either. Let's just hope that Stevie and his family get whatever services they may need.

erinmarieg 3 years, 10 months ago

I do happen to know the Mother in this situation. For years it has been a difficult situation between she and the boys father. She is a good person and mother, and the boys father has done little to make life easy on her. I hope that Stevie can realize how much she loves and cares for him, and is able to tell the whole truth in this situation so that he can be with his mother again.

Buggie 3 years, 10 months ago

Musbhiorlo. Spanking is not the answer. Counseling and family love and support is. He needs some therapy with someone that he can get out whatever is bothering him so this does not happen again. He could have really been hurt. It could have been that he ran away only to be abducted. Then he would have never been found. This family and Stevie need our support and strength as a community. They have no room for negative opinions. His mother is a great mother. I do not know the father. She will make sure he gets whatever he needs. Going to the pool is not a need. Remember kids if the parent tells you no thats the answer NO. You dont question why. They dont need to give you a reason why. Just know that the answer is no. My thoughts and prayers are still and will continue to be there for Shirley, Stevie, Lil Bro and Family.

musbhiorlo 3 years, 10 months ago

Glad he has been found, now someone needs to spank this kid and ground him for a few months!

somedude20 3 years, 10 months ago

"First of all GOD is in all things" unfortunately so are "his" priests

MacHeath 3 years, 10 months ago

I heard he was abducted by the North Koreans!

lionheart72661 3 years, 10 months ago

First of all GOD is in all things HE allows things to happen for a reason. HE gives us freedom of choic. GOD says in the bible "My ways are not your ways My thoughts are not your thoughts. My ways are higher than you ways, My thoughts are higer than your thoughts." Meaning GOD see the big picture and HE always knows the outcome and no matter the outcome. GOD see the BIG picture. Now to the story at hand. I am not saying Stevie does not have emotinal issues but this sounds like the classic case of "I DON'T GET MY WAY I'LL SHOW YOU. I'LL RUN AWAY." Kids these days don't get what they want 1st thing they want to do is run away. Yes I'm glad Stevie was found safe and Family counseling is needed!

ou812mr2 3 years, 10 months ago

I HOPE ALL THIS WORKS OUT FOR THE FAMILY. STEVIE, IM GLAD YOUR SAFE! DONT WORRY THOUGH, THERE ARE AT LEAST A FEW PEOPLE AND HOPEFULLY MORE TO COME WHO KNOW THAT THIS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH GOING SWIMING. I KNOW YOU WILL AGREE THAT YOUR MOTHERS CHOICE OF BOY FRIENDS IS NOT THE BEST. AT SOME POINT MAYBE SHE WILL REALIZE THIS. ANY MAN (AND I'M NOT SPEAKING OF THE FATHER) WHO LAYS A HAND ON A CHILD OUT OF ANGER SHOULD BE PUNISHED FOR HIS ACTIONS. HOW IS IT THAT YOUR MOTHER CAN OPEN HER/YOUR HOME TO ALL WHO COME BY? ONCE AGAIN I HOPE SHE REALIZES WHAT SHE IS DOING AND MOVES HER SISTER, HER SISTERS BOYFRIEND, HER BOYFRIEND AND HER BOYFRIENDS CHILDREN OUT OF YOUR ROOM SO YOU DONT HAVE TO SLEEP ON THAT COUCH ANYMORE! STEVIE, IF YOU NEED ANYTHING YOU KNOW HOW TO GET AHOLD OF THE "TWO BROTHERS ON THE WEST SIDE"!!!

ou812mr2 3 years, 10 months ago

brutas61 3 years, 10 months ago

Give him a good arse-tanning and tight restriction for at least a month. Now I don't mean no nintendo or television, because that would be cruel and unusual punishment. That would probably land the parents in jail. No, I mean a good spanking and don't let him off the property with friends, etc. And perhaps some homework, at least once a week. I know, that's pushing the limits, and may even be considered a hate crime. Give him some ice cream if he does the homework.

nordicson 3 years, 10 months ago

I am glad he was found "unharmed". Hope the remainder of the story ends so well.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 10 months ago

other posters should realize that we really don't have much information about him or his family.

I hope that we as a community can be supportive for his family.

Stevie, you are at an age were the choices you make really matter for the rest of your life. many of us in North Lawrence have cared and prayed for you.
we will also be happy to look out for you, encourage you, or help you.

your family showed a lot of love for you in their strong efforts to find you.

that is your lawrence family and your topeka family. of course I know more about your lawrence family.

if you feel like boiling over, before you do something please just go to your room and be quiet and just breathe for a minute. you can do this Stevie. if you need to, talk with somebody before you do something.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 10 months ago

Stevie's family: I rejoice with you!!!

it is great news that he was found "unharmed." I know the stay in Juvie is standard operating procedure.

what some posters here don't seem to grasp is that Stevie is 13 years old and he probably thinks like a 13-year-old-boy!

he is not the best judge of where he should live. and at the same time, in situations like this judges and social workers implicitly or explicitly ask him where he would rather live: with mom or dad. this is a horrible question to present to a 13-year-old-boy!

it is wrong to automatically assume that his lawrence family needs counseling. it is possible that Stevie was being angry, manipulative, or was doing what 13-year-old-boys often do: rebelling!

it is also possible that his mom, Ms. Morriss has very good reason for seeking to protect herself from dad. she is acting like she is protecting herself from an abuser.
sure there are a few women who take advantage of the stereotypes and lie about such things. that's just a few.

it is possible that she is one of that "few," and dad is fine, but the judge did find that the dad should only have supervised visits with Stevie. so, that implies that the authorities do believe there's some serious problem with dad. going on that, the authorities believe Stevie should be in mom's custody.

of course authorities aren't perfect, but they often get this issue right. usually it takes pretty strong evidence to push them to have such a restriction on a dad these days.

please just be glad that this 13-year-old-boy is still walking among us! he's unharmed, and he still has a good chance for a good life.

may we all be good examples to Stevie.

beobachter 3 years, 10 months ago

weeslicket 3 years, 10 months ago

i only read the first 10-20 posts.

this is a good thing. whatever happens later, happens later.

rjmcarr 3 years, 10 months ago

Glad he was found alive and in good health. Let's hope he gets the help he is crying out for. My prayers go out to him and his family.

pagan_idolator 3 years, 10 months ago

So glad this little guy was found safe.

worriedandconcernedmom 3 years, 10 months ago

Stevie is just one of thousands of kids who have gone missing and he is one of the lucky ones that was returned home safe. MY CHILDREN have always and will always come first. I love them more than life itself. If every child knew what was best for them one could only image what the world would be like today. The whole story may never be known but to go around blaming people does not solve anything. Again thank you for your love, support and prays.

denak 3 years, 10 months ago

I know this is a no-win situation and I am going to get raged on, but yes, even though some might think Stevie is a "wonderful kid," he stikes me as a manipulative little brat. How dare he run away and put his mother through what she went through just because he could not go swimming. He got to Shawnee County one of two ways 1) he hitchhiked or 2) he called a friend and hung out with him or her for the last week. Probably didn't think his disapperence would cause such an uproar and has been hiding out having a great time with a friend until he realized "ah crap, there are a lot of people looking for me. I am so screwed" and then started thinking of a way to get out of trouble. According to the news reports, he has run away before so he knows that this is a good tactic to get what he wants. I am happy this kid was found but I don't feel sorry for him and if he is "traumatized" by this experience then good, maybe he will stop pulling this crap and grow up and stop putting his mom through this. If there is anyone who I feel sorry for, it is her.

Onto another somewhat related topic, this is perhaps a good time to talk about child prostitution in this country. The average prostitute in the US is 13 years old. It takes less than 72 hours before a runaway starts bartering his or her body out on the street. Child sex trafficking in our country is rampant. People don't want to believe that but there are thousands of kids on the street who are sold and bartered. It isn't something that just happens "over there" in some third world country. It is a huge problem right here in the U.S. And business is booming. One can only hope that Stevie wasn't on the street or that he had to face the consequences that other kids have but for the estimated 600,000 still out there, there aren't Facebook pages or front page articles. Perhaps, the Lawrence Journal World should do a story on them. Aren't they worth the same amount of coverage????

Dena

ksprincess 3 years, 10 months ago

Stevie is a wonderful kid and thank you to everyone who kept positive since he went missing...Stevie we love you and are so happy you are safe

md 3 years, 10 months ago

Oneeye, you are right.I know the story thru a relative of his. The parents have some major issues. That, as I was told,is why he ran.

Robert Rauktis 3 years, 10 months ago

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 10 months ago

The parents, perhaps, need some help as well.

kernal 3 years, 10 months ago

His running away is obviously a yell for help, not a cry, but a Yell! Listen.

bobberboy 3 years, 10 months ago

what a nut. Hope someone paddles his butt !

kansastrish 3 years, 10 months ago

Very exciting news. God answers prayers.

frustratednks 3 years, 10 months ago

After reading this I feel like I have been to Church! Glad he is safe and has been found.

twoleftfeet 3 years, 10 months ago

This is wonderful. I'm so happy he's been found and that he's okay.

AUNTB 3 years, 10 months ago

GOD NEVER LETS US DOWN. THE SYSTEM IS NOT PERFECT BUT CAN BE BLINDED IN MANY WAYS AND CHILDREN ARE THE ONES WHO SUFFER FROM IT. I HOPE AND PRAY THAT THE SYSTEM WILL LISTEN TO HIM............

hillbilly_jim 3 years, 10 months ago

defenestrator 3 years, 10 months ago

I prayed and prayed that Jesus would allow for the police investigators to find the missing boy. It must have worked. Yes! Now all I can do is pray and pray that that boy gets the help that he needs. Jesus better not let us down now.

Tootieonskates35 3 years, 10 months ago

I am so happy. Please listen to his side and if he does not want to go home don't make him!

garyr 3 years, 10 months ago

This is great news. Like former lawres says, I hope the truth is revealed. Hopefully, there will be some type of investigation done, and they won't just hand him over. The truth must come out. I don't want this to be an ongoing cycle.

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

This is certainly good news. It's a bad, bad world out there, and so many bad things could have happened to him!

youngjayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree with kjo_shorty; I hope the family seeks serious therapeutic help for this young man, making his mental and emotional health a priority. Glad he is okay and back home.

paisley 3 years, 10 months ago

Thank God this kid is okay. It is good news for sure.

butterflylvr 3 years, 10 months ago

So happy he was found!!! Geeee, I wonder how he got out to Shawnee County...

kjo_shorty 3 years, 10 months ago

Thank goodness he's been found and he is unharmed. Now let's pray that this child receives the attention and help that he so obviously needs. I'm so glad to hear he is safe!

Richard Payton 3 years, 10 months ago

Glad the message was not harmed!!!

formerlawres 3 years, 10 months ago

I hope the truth is revealed!! We are here for you Stevie!! Lots of Prayers from US!!! Love you