Archive for Thursday, June 3, 2010

Lawrence man says he’s victim of a hate crime after assault on Mass. Street last Friday

Rudolph Neugebauer III was injured in what he calls a hate crime against him because he is gay. He said he was attacked in the 600 block of Massachusetts Street early Friday morning after a group of strangers had offered him a ride.

June 3, 2010

Longtime Lawrence resident Rudolph Neugebauer III sits down at a tattered grand piano he’s attempting to restore.

As his fingers dance across the keys, the sound that comes from the piano is beautiful, although slightly out of tune.

The 27-year-old Washburn senior has had to take a break from finishing his restoration project, and when he looks up from the keyboard, it’s easy to see why. His eye is purple and swollen shut. His eye socket is shattered, and he has an indentation in his face where his cheek bone used to be.

Lawrence resident says he was victim of a hate crime

A Lawrence man who got beat up after getting a ride home from people he didn't know says he was a victim of a hate crime because he is gay. Enlarge video

“I’m just in shock. I don’t know what to say,” Neugebauer said. “This is Lawrence, and I thought, I’m good. I just made the wrong choice.”

Neugebauer claims to be the victim of a brutal attack that occurred a little after 2 a.m. Friday in the 600 block of Massachusetts Street. And what makes the crime even worse: Neugebauer says he was attacked because he’s gay.

“I’m a normal person,” he said. “Being gay is a part of me, I’m not a part of it. I’m not the only one this happens to. Hate crimes happen all the time, and people are too ashamed to say anything. It can’t be like that anymore.”

Neugebauer said the incident happened after he accepted a ride home from a group of people he didn’t know. He said that after growing up in Lawrence he didn’t think twice about jumping in the car with the strangers, but when one of the men in the car asked him whether he was gay, Neugebauer said things went downhill quickly.

“The guy next to me muttered something about being gay,” he said. “Then the driver turned around and said, ‘What? Are you gay? This isn’t that type of party. You can get the (expletive) out.’”

Neugebauer said he turned to get out of the car and was sucker-punched from behind. He ended up in the emergency room at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, and Lawrence police are now investigating the attack as a possible hate crime.

“This needs to stop,” Neugebauer said. “This is ridiculous and appalling. I’m a strong individual and I will survive, but if it was somebody else, they may not have.”

Mase Hakes, the youth coordinator with the Kansas City group Show Me Pride, said it’s hard to believe such intolerance still exists.

“It’s 2010. This really should be gone and done with by now,” Hakes said. “We should be able to walk down the street without having to worry about being attacked.”

The incident caught the attention of the Kansas City gay pride group, which will attempt to raise funds for Neugebauer during the Pride Week activities that kicked off Monday.

Neugebauer said he’s appreciative of the support he’s gotten across the country since posting his story on Facebook. He’s hoping the suspects, whom he describes as four men in a 1990s silver or gold Honda Accord, will be caught.

“They will be found, and justice will be served,” Neugebauer said. “I will be there to make sure my voice is heard.”

Comments

yankeevet 3 years, 10 months ago

Ok; can we go on too something else now......this is old news

RCNIII 3 years, 10 months ago

jbiegs, the guy was standing out of the car-he opened the door for me-as i got out of the passenger side rear of the mid 90's honda accord-i walked a step near the rear of the car -where mass street is and he hit me on the left side-i dont know if he ran up and did it or had something in his hand but he and i were both outside of the car and he said, 'we dont put up with that (explicit) and hit me-normally i'm the type to react fast and turn around to see what he looked like and get the tag number but the pain was excruciating and all i could think of was to get away-i went around the left corner where quintons is and two guys-who saw nothing-saw that i was hurt and tried to help me-my double blurred vision and the skull fracture had me disoriented and i couldnt even walk straight-i have surgery tomorrow-i might lose some motor control of my left eye-i didnt make anything up-does that help?

jbiegs 3 years, 10 months ago

I have a hard time believing he got a shiner like that the way he describes. I'm just calling it like I see it. Looks to me like the person that gave him the black eye would've had to be standing directly in front of him and not seated in a car to inflict that kind of damage.

papermateclassic 3 years, 10 months ago

Anybody who knows this guy would understand how this would happen. He stalks straight guys all the time. The gay community in Lawrence knows about him and 99% avoid him. He can't stop lying about just about everything. He is pretty pathetic. He makes up so much stuff i am pretty sure he has Munchausen's. Just ask anybody. He is a freak. Probably did something weird to end up with a black eye. PERV!

begin60 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks tokcavp for the good information!

Don't know what the discouraging frame of reference is for Kansans, but Lawrence is by far the most backward and bigoted place I've ever lived, and the Powers that Be are amazingly more corrupt here than anywhere else. The judges are smooching with the cops and DAS and laughing about framing innocent people, who of course are only being criminalized due to perceived protected class status. It's all about conflict-of-interest and being in bed with and selling out to those in power, not about doing the right, reasonable thing.

Talk about frightening ignorance and incompetence and people who totally complacent with prejudice and judging others by stereotypes. All the patronizing 18-century ideas about chivalry and selfish "helping" need to go too. Keep your ignorance out of my face and we'll get along fine. If I don't know you I might not want to--only complete stupidity and thickheadedness gives you false bravado to approach me. You have no business imposing your offensive hick attitudes on others and hindering them with your negative thinking.

RCNIII 3 years, 10 months ago

Thank your for commenting on these comments. Thank you for contacting me, thank you for helping me, I wasnt even aware of any sort of a victim group to help me in the first place let alone LGBT, I couldnt be more thankful. I'll volunteer in any way I can or do anything in my power to help the organization and step up when I see others in need-as I always have. I've never had anyone help me like this. My own father, when asked if he would help if when I healed my face was deformed to pay and I would repay him-said no-that's why I thought that I should say something. If my own family (my father is Lutheran, tolerant but not supportive of my 'lifestyle' as he puts it) wont help me then who would?! who could? I know that if I had the means-I'd help someone-I still volunteer my time in various organizations-I speak out too.
After crying for an hour once I found out there some someone-several someones' out there supporting me-I showed my father the comments on facebook, told him the stories about how thankful other victims are for me speaking out and not hiding, i read him emails from other members of my family and he cried. This has made us closer, stronger, and it seems the support has opened his eyes. He is not a bigot and wasnt raised to be one-he had less than pleasant experiences with other guys aggressively making advances towards him when he was younger on his own at 16 after his father died of cancer at age 38. So, KCAVP I want to thank you again for your support-you've changed my family's life-from coast to coast-for the better. Once I've recovered-I will find them too-then lets send him and the guys with him the bill-maybe they can pay it-maybe not... but sometimes people win the lottery... Again, I'll help in any way I can. RCNEUIII@gmail.com With Great Respect, Rudolph C. Neugebauer III

kcavp 3 years, 10 months ago

The Kansas City Anti-Violence Project (KCAVP) serves victims of hate violence in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. A hate crime is a criminal offense committed against a person or property out of hatred for who they are or who people think they are. These acts are motivated in whole or in part by the offender’s bias against a race, religion, ethnic/national origin group, gender, or sexual orientation group. These crimes are usually more brutal than other kinds of attacks. They are not only meant to hurt the victim, but they are also meant to send a message of hate and fear to the larger community. No matter who you are or appear to be, everyone deserves to be safe. You are not alone. It is not your fault. Please contact KCAVP if you or someone you know is a victim of a hate crime. | www.kcavp.org | 816.561.0550 |

igby 3 years, 10 months ago

He got drunk and fell down is what it looks like to me. Just an observation. Seen a lot of shiners in my day, but this looks like a kiss the door or ground kind of shiner.

Zachary Stoltenberg 3 years, 10 months ago

Lawrence is Bigoted? There are always a few people that are out there but Lawrence is the MOST liberal and accepting place I have ever lived. Suffice it to say that if this had happened where I grew up, we would be reading an obituary instead of political comments about bigotry. Hope this young man gets better and makes different choices in the future. There are dangerous idiots everywhere, Lawrence is no exception.

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

You've all proven yourselves here today. What you said, and what you wrote is recorded, in the book of Life. I hope you are proud of yourselves, You will get your reward.

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 10 months ago

Learn to treat everyone the same. If all the bigots in Lawrence and KS would just learn to mind their own business half the problem would be solved. Don't assume strangers want to deal with you--competent, politically aware people don't approach strangers on the basis of offensive stereotypes. If you bother strangers they do have the right to assert their wish to be let alone without being blamed by some self-regarding helpful hypocrite who is the true offender and aggressor. What rights does anyone who feels free to approach others on the basis of offensive bias deserve. I wouldn't hit them, but I sure would give them an earful.

It's insulting to be regarded as so needy you would welcome" help" from complete strangers, and it's a mark of backwoods ignorance to assume such clumsy gambits are welcome. Most people would prefer the freedom that being ignored by strangers accords to aggressive discriminatory attention. It takes a braindead meglomaniac to think you have anything to offer others would value -since you so obviously lack the key to successful human relationships --understanding.

You are interfering with the safety and equal rights of others and their ability to freely enjoy public space. Lawrence is by far the most bigoted and hostile place for diversity I've ever lived. Apparently, Kansas parents train up their kids to terrorize strangers and be complete self-flattering bigots and totally ignore the fact they are treating others unfairly and unequally based on what they look like. It's immoral-- and please realize the limitations and "struggles" of others exist mainly in your eyes until you start going about aggressively,prejudicially imposing them on complete strangers. My experience of living in Lawrence has been one of overwhelming civil rights injustice. I think the LJWorld should showcase on a weekly or daily basis someone whose been shafted on a perceived protected class basis.

If you're the type of person who goes around blindly assigning others helpee roles, you probably don't know how to help yourself. By definition you are one of those obnoxious do-gooders who thinks it's possible to fix the world before they fix themselves. You need a lot of help with your brains and awareness, but likely you are ineducable.You're fawningly in love with the idea of yourself as a helpful person, but it's a egotistical delusion. There is a total disconnect between your stated intention and the abusive results. Bottom line, people deserve to have their boundaries and privacy respected.

Boombopdapitty 3 years, 10 months ago

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

WTF? Do not have this happen at all, JAFS. Jesus!

independant1 3 years, 10 months ago

If the young men in the car hadn't found this poor fellow, I'm sure they would've found someone to pound on. Here's hoping the ignorant cretins pay for thier crime against another human being.

AndyDoubleU 3 years, 10 months ago

AndyDoubleU 3 years, 10 months ago

AndyDoubleU 3 years, 10 months ago

LuciusVorenus 3 years, 10 months ago

Assuming he is telling the whole truth about the situation I am still not convinced this qualifies as a "hate crime".

br549 3 years, 10 months ago

I heard that he got in the car with a black eye. He was watching a baseball game and got hit by a foul ball.

Don't believe nothing ya here and half of what you see

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

The blame clearly lies with the folks who assaulted this man.

I read the suggestions about being more careful, not getting into strangers' cars at 2am, etc. as being more about how to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the first place.

We all need to use good judgment if we don't want to wind up in bad situations.

Which would you prefer:

a. Not have this happen to you. b. Have this happen to you and get to blame the people who did it.

Donnuts 3 years, 10 months ago

sorry pal. I guess some people are just real @ssholes.

demonfury 3 years, 10 months ago

Moron, you're bus is leaving............. Accepting a ride from strangers, and then admitting that you are gay to these strangers? Dude, you got exactly what your parents warned you about for the better part of your life. Lawrence is so diverse, that being openly gay and celebratory about it will garner just as much praise as it will discord. Your best bet is to maintain some privacy, and share with those whom you know and trust. At 27, you, like most people who have successfully reached their senior year in college, should know this very well. It's a shame this still happens in our society, but it can be most likely avoided with some common sense, of which was absent here.

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 10 months ago

People like to place blame on the victims of crimes because it gives them a false sense of security.

If a straight man had accepted a ride from these same people, or if the victim in this case had denied his homosexuality, it's highly likely that there would have been no crime. THAT is what makes this a hate crime.

I was assaulted by a man in my own driveway at my old home in SW Lawrence a couple of years ago. He was a drunk underage frat boy who was partying a couple of houses down the street, and somehow ended up in my yard. I didn't see him when I pulled in to my garage and suddenly there he was behind me. He threw my phone down on the ground and started pushing me around. I was able to retrieve my phone and get help. I know of one person who is of the opinion that if I had been at home sleeping rather than out with friends until 1:30 am, this wouldn't have happened, therefore it is MY fault that it happened. It's true that it wouldn't have happened, but that doesn't make it my fault!

Had I been raped or badly beaten and it ended up in the paper, I'm sure there would have been plenty of comments on here placing the blame on me for having been out late.

jvelaer 3 years, 10 months ago

Really?? Beating someone up just because they're gay?? These people obviously had some things going on, probably gay themselves and mad because they couldn't be out in the open with it. Granted he took a ride from strangers, but come on this is ridiculous.

bennyoates 3 years, 10 months ago

Most of the comments on LJW boards, dominated as they are by rightwing vermin with sewage for brains, are verbal hate crimes, stupidity crimes, crimes against community and human decency.

beatrice 3 years, 10 months ago

They hated his left eye.

Oh, and homophobia is queer.

ponyboy11 3 years, 10 months ago

I am a Lesbian in the Lawrence area and I too had a run in with Mr. Rudolph Neugebauer III a couple years ago and would be incline to think he might not be the innocent victim of a hate crime.

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 10 months ago

If something especially despicable and hateful (like an assault or a profiling incident) happens to you because you're being regarded and treated as a member of a protected class--and things like this occur based on that warped logic everyday in Lawrence, KS--then this is by definition discriminatory and an act of psychological or physical violence. It's a huge injustice to be singled out for bias-motivated oppression/harm in this fashion.

Basically, if you weren't being discriminatorily regarded and treated as a representative of a soccial minority group the rights violation and savaging of your human dignity would not have ever happened---which is why I hate labels and the one-dimensional stereotypes they give rise to. Bigots love labels though- saves them from having to think and reflect and treat everyone the same and like human beings.

The KU cops are so committed to preventing bias-based crimes they deep-six profiling reports in order to help the Orwellian school "Equal Opportunity" office cover their dishonest rear ends.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 10 months ago

"“Once we heard about this, I contacted the board, and everyone unanimously agreed: We should try to shed light on this,” Hakes said. "

That sounds like code for "exploit the story". He was victimized once by the haters; I hope he's not victimized now by his "friends".

mr_right_wing 3 years, 10 months ago

I am not a supporter of "hate crimes" a crime is a crime. This guy was assaulted period. He deserves no special treatment. Is there going to be a more harsh punishment if you beat up someone gay, over beating up a 'normal' person? If a 'rich person' is beat up by a bunch of 'poor people' is that a "hate crime"? Crime is crime; let's not make different standards for different peoples. That is nothing but divisive.

Danimal 3 years, 10 months ago

It must take a big man to sucker-punch someone from behind. I hope they find these guys and throw the book at them. He may have made a bad decision accepting a ride from strangers, but that doesn't mean he deserved to have his face broken. Frankly I think that it's sad, even though it is 2010, that we live in a world where someone can never accept kindness from strangers for fear they'll be victimized. I'm sure they'll find his assailants eventually. Guys like this like to brag about how bad they are, or one of them will get in some trouble and roll over on the others.

kubacker 3 years, 10 months ago

"Crime against humanity as opposed to what? Crime against animals? Are you seriously going to bring Hitler, a war criminal, into a discussion about American political discourse?

Well, if you insist. I'll say it another way. A war crime is a war crime is a war crime. All war probably involves some degree of hate. History may judge whether Hitler was worse than Mussolini or Nero or whomever. But pertaining to crime and punishment, the central issue is what you do rather than what motivates you to do what you do.

Criminal A robs an old lady because she looks like an easy target and he needs a drink. Criminal B robs an old lady because he is high on crack. Both robbed a little old lady. Is criminal B worse because he is crackhead? Who says?

Please don't conflate the issue by invoking Hitler. Aren't you the one who accused the Haskell blog of logical fallacies?

Hate crime equals thought crime because it judges the heinousness of a crime on the basis of a judgment about the motivation behind it. If a crime is motivated by hatred, and not simply greed or jealousy or whatever, it is considered worse. Why? Evidently because hatred trumps greed and jealousy. It is crowned the supreme evil."

Your problem is you're using logic and reason to make your points. Don't you know everything today is about feelings, or more specifically hurt feelings.

If these guys never laid a hand on Rudolph but called him a derrogatory name and ordered him out of the car (hurt his feelings), the same people on this board would still have a cow and would call it hate and a crime and bring up Hitler, etc. because that's the stupid PC crap they've had drilled into their heads by our public schools, and it is a life view reinforced with trophies for participation and hearing "good job" 600 frigging times a day from parents who are themselves products of the same public school system.

balishag 3 years, 10 months ago

LOL my comment got deleted.

All I said is this guy entered a car full of strangers at night. He got punched in the face for unverified reasons. LJworld makes it sound like this guy is barely alive in ICU. He got punched in the eye. Now everyone is shouting hate crime. Give me a break. Watch this comment get deleted by the free speech staff at LJworld. Is this really considered "hate speech"?

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

Sociopaths are why we made laws. Lock 'em up, throw away the key, and if by chance, they get bull-whipped in their stay, oh well...shouldn't do crime. You homogeneous simpletons.

Clark Coan 3 years, 10 months ago

Didn't another gay man get beaten up a few years ago by the Replay?

Bob Forer 3 years, 10 months ago

Sociopaths don't discriminate. They don't give a damn whether their prey is gay, white, black, jewish, Lutheran or drunk and stupid. They get their pleasure in the huring and hitting. Ain't personal. I am not suggesting the victim deserved to be hit. But i am sugesting that if anything shoud be learned from this case, it shoud be about the the dangers of being horny young, and stupid, and not being gay. .

Bob Forer 3 years, 10 months ago

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

Pace, I am guessing you have been arrested and of course it is NOT YOUR FAULT!! you didn't do anything wrong. The cops are bad people right. They framed you, right? NOT Put your bong down and check out side, there on no cops spying on you.

pace 3 years, 10 months ago

Pretty sure our police will find it not a hate crime, They really don't have empathy for gay victims, it makes them feel uncomfortable. Anyone who thinks someone deserves to be beat because they are homosexual is, of course, a low life criminal and trashier than litter. The police prefer their victims to have no ambiguity, clearer for them. I think it should be attempted murder, assault and a hate crime. Sorry that some think hate and assault should be a protected privilege for homophobes.

75x55 3 years, 10 months ago

This story doesn't pass the sniff test - sorry, not buying it.

"He said that after growing up in Lawrence he didn’t think twice about jumping in the car with the strangers"

Lawrence hasn't taught it's children well.

Nothing good happens after midnight.

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

You sluueths. You are so smart, as to know what a white trash group of hate mongers would be cruising Mass. street at beyond 2am. Let's find us a gay white man, to bludgeon. Let's make him the next victim, let's read about us the in paper tomorrow. Let's send a message that we are not only dumb, but intolerant. After all, Lew guide us, right? Why don't you...all of you, examine your own views, and think about what life could be like, it only you'd give up your dumb ass bias, and just learn to love one another. I wish for you a better tomorrow!

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

Jack, only the person who hit him knows why he did it. DId you hit him?

red_devil 3 years, 10 months ago

Lol. Yeah, he got in the car. Said he was gay. Got knocked out of the car. How do you come up with kidnapping? Some people amaze me.

jackbinkelman 3 years, 10 months ago

Hate Crime; The only reason he was brutally beaten was because he was gay.

Ray Parker 3 years, 10 months ago

The criminal penalty should be no different for assault, if the assault victim is an admitted sodomite. Repeal thought crimes laws.

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, consumer, I fell down, hit my head, and did it three times, I'm so goddamned glad you are not a detective, or no crimes committed would be solved. You sir, (or madam) are a derelict!

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

Jogger, maybe the camera's downtown will show a completely different story?? Maybe other witness' will come forward telling a different story?? Maybe??

gr 3 years, 10 months ago

"Is this not also kidnapping?"

Wow. You're really spinning it.

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

thank you jogger, you said it best. Better than me, even.

jogger 3 years, 10 months ago

A. No one is complicit in an interaction that ends at the hospital. B. 6th and Mass is well covered by cameras, if you were also in the car and not also guilty, coming forward would be wise. C. My guess is the punch from the back of the head was what caused the face to hit the cardoor in the effort to escape. Is this not also kidnapping? D. I used to feel perfectly safe downtown at 2 am after work or Freestate or friends or music, or just out because my apartment was way too hot, even at 2 am. Lawrence could be safe. Lawrence should be safe.

E. Some one, somewhere, and a community, raised those guys in that car. Sad.

barrypenders 3 years, 10 months ago

If I was picked up by a car full of women that said mean hateful things at 2 in the morning and then they hit me over the head.....would I have an issue with 'Hate'?

Stimulus, Hate Mean Emotionality, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

Okay, you flaming idiots! Here is a question I want you to answer honestly: If this individual had been mentally handicapped, coming home from a say, dishwashing job at a pub downtown, and accepted a ride from these "hombres", would it be okay if he were savagely beat like that? That's what you seem to be saying!

What I am saying is, until we make our entire country safe, so that anyone who is here can walk down any street, accept any ride, at any time of day or night, it's not okay! I know I am asking a lot, and some will say I'm a stupid idealist. But until you start demanding better, as a populice, you will not get better. It will get worse.

That's all I'm saying.

DrRustinMcGillicuddy 3 years, 10 months ago

Here's the thing: I don't really think you can call it a hate crime when you contribute to the situation. Had Rudolph been walking down the street wearing a Gay Pride shirt and had he been jumped, that's a hate crime. When you converse with (and accept a ride from) complete strangers, you're complicit in engaging the situation, and partly responsible for whatever happens from that point forward. It's no more of a "hate crime" than someone fighting someone else because they were being a jerk ( imagine someone saying, "But he attacked me because I was being rude to him and his girlfriend! It was a hate crime against me specifically because I was being rude!" ).

As humans, we don't all have to like each other. We don't have to associate with each other. But we should always respect each other. The guys in the car didn't go out that night looking for gay people to hit, they went out to have a good time. They themselves obviously aren't gay, and they aren't associating with anyone that is gay. That's respecting the fact that they knew there are gay people in Lawrence, on Mass, who are associating with other gays, and they chose not to associate with it. If that's how they feel, as a gay person, why would you hop into a car with them? I think they misplaced their trust and felt betrayed.

But I think the argument most have comes down to the question of what's wrong with being gay? There are many, many reasons that someone might not agree with the choices or fundamental philosophies (moral or otherwise) of the gay community. And, honestly, it doesn't matter what these philosophies are; what matters is that they create an uncomfortable situation to some, and people don't like being in uncomfortable situations. If this car full of guys was out at Replay till 2, then they were looking to relax and have a good time. No one wants to be uncomfortable and you have to respect that.

I don't think anyone made the correct choice in dealing with the situation. Assumptions were made by both parties, and neither was correct. I don't think it's right that he this has been touted as a hate crime in hopes of raising money, but I do wish Rudolph a speedy recovery and hope that he is able to not only heal his external wounds but also the trauma that the situation has caused in his life.

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

Alright consumer. Are you saying now, it's against the law (because you will get savagely beat) to get into a car of strangers at 2am? Was a crime committed? You are part of the problem. You are! Your complicity in this crime is your stupid crime is okay because you need to be smart argument. FAIL! MASSIVE FAIL!

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

He didn't get into a pumpkin after he lost his glass slipper. He got into a car of strangers at 2 am. NOT SMART in anyone's book. what was his agenda? We are only hearing one side of this story. Maybe he made an offer they didn't care for. Even if he did, beating him was still wrong. But, we don't know the whole story yet, you cannot base innocent or guilt on one person's opinion or account of what happened.

hungryhustler 3 years, 10 months ago

He probably thought the guys were cute:)

Leslie Swearingen 3 years, 10 months ago

What is this? Are we all Cinderella and when the clock strikes midnight we all head for the door? This is very simple. A crime was committed and those who committed it should be arrested.

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

Jesus! Can you not just get a ride at 2am in our society any more? Do you not realize what you are saying?!? We officially are now a third world country. You cannot trust anyone at 2am! That is what you are saying, and in your absence of objection to this behavior, advocating! Get a clue!!! This is wrong. You need to adjust your thinking. Our world needs to be as safe at 2am, as it is at 2pm! But I understand your paranoia. It ain't like that. We need to strive to make it like that, I am not sure what that is going to take, but implicit toleration of this behavior by saying it's stupid ain't helping!!!!!

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

I still want to know what he had in mind when he got into a car of strangers at 2 AM????? Autie, you said what you believe the car of full of strangers had in mind by picking up a guy at 2 pm. But, What was this kids motivation for getting into the car of strangers that time of night? Did he have an agenda?? Was he looking for a "party"?? This is equally as stupid as a twenty year old girl getting into a car of strangers at 2 am...

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

well, not if powershopper is on the jury. They were just boys having a disagreement, and it will be the one who has the black eye who is up for battery?

Randall Uhrich 3 years, 10 months ago

Wait til these 4 miscreants get sentenced and they experience what it's like to be on the receiving end of prison's version of "gay hate crime". Butter up, boys!

Randall Uhrich 3 years, 10 months ago

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

so, what you are saying powershopper...the crime against him is somehow justified? I sure want you to reply to my post.

powershopper 3 years, 10 months ago

If he was sucker punched from behind why is the injury not on the back of his head? Why did he get into a car with a group of random strangers at 2am in the morning? Was he completely wasted? I think you would find that most people who grew up in Lawrence wouldn't just get into a car with a group of random strangers. Particularly if they were all men.

I don't buy his story for even a second.

powershopper 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't buy his story for even a second.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 10 months ago

Hitler has shown us that a hate crime is a crime against humanity, not a crime of thought.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 10 months ago

Rando, it is simple.

If you can not say it about being Jewish, being black, being Christian, being a person with a disability, being a woman....you can not say it about someone being gay.

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

This is sad, just terribly sad that it even happened here in Lawrence. I've always thought of Lawrence as a tolerant city, a city that is different from other cities. New York City, or L.A. maybe, but not here in Lawrence. No one deserves to be so brutally punished for an unwise decision that hurt no one. I hope the police catch these individuals, and they are punished accordingly. Civilized society? Huh!

c_doc77 3 years, 10 months ago

I think its terrible that this guy got attacked. But let's look at "hate crime" for what it really is - Thought Crime! If you victimize someone, you should be punished. But for the government to dictate which motivations from crime are worse is far beyond reason. Government's job is to punish crime, not to make determinations as to which crime is worse based on the reason for the crime being committed. An assault is an assault is an assault.

When a judge sentences someone for assault, he can make a judgment about punishment based on the nature of the assault, but to legislate morality to distinguish between motivations for the exact same crime is beyond the scope of governmental authority. The legislature is not the judge and jury.

I'm really growing weary of this "hate crime" term being used the American political lexicon. If the term is used to classify certain types of crime sociologically, whether they are racially motivated or whatever, that's one thing. But when it is being used as a means to sway public opinion as to build support for "hate crime" legislation, this is a dangerous precedent and is trending toward limiting free speech. I'm not saying the Journal-World is guilty of this per se, but I think this is something we should be aware of.

Randall Barnes 3 years, 10 months ago

br549 3 years, 10 months ago

From all the great post above, I bet it never happens again. I better stop here because I could mention, Non performance of a verbal contract, bad service, excessive body hair, etc.... Wish I could have been with the Lawrence police officer writing this up, how do you spell TuTu? Reminds me of the Kstater with syphilis of the eyes. He was looking for love in all the wrong places.

Zipadeedoodah Zipadeeday

Randall Barnes 3 years, 10 months ago

Randall Barnes 3 years, 10 months ago

wtf i have not done any thing wrong nor said anything wrong and you keep deleting my blog. please tell me what was wrong so i may have a chance to correct that issue.

estespark 3 years, 10 months ago

"hey guys I don't know...thanks for giving me a ride home at 2am."

"no problem. so, are you a freaking liberal or what?"

"nope."

estespark 3 years, 10 months ago

"hi, i am a member of the SS. are you jewish?"

"nope."

red_devil 3 years, 10 months ago

It's called "street smarts" and if you don't have it, especially on the streets at 2am, you're looking for trouble. If you're strolling around Lawrence thinking nothing bad will happen because people should not be bigots, or people should be tolerant of differing opinions, and everyone has good intentions or whatever, then you're naive and you may just end up face down in the gutter. That is a fact of life that some people don't want to accept.

red_devil 3 years, 10 months ago

gr 3 years, 10 months ago

"but when one of the men in the car asked him whether he was gay, "

Just another example of what happens when you do away with the Don't ask, Don't tell policy.

Munsoned 3 years, 10 months ago

LJW-- can we do some follow up and at least find out if the car is a 2 door, 4 door or what? He would have to know that at least. And descriptions of the bad guys? Thanks.

thuja 3 years, 10 months ago

That's Golding on The Lord of the Flies there.

William Golding.

independant1 3 years, 10 months ago

reminds me of high school, some of the toughs were always looking for a reason to beat the crap outta somebody. their targets were generally the weakest

Sallinger didn't define it he merely illustrated it in Lord of the Flies

Kirk Larson 3 years, 10 months ago

I have lived in several Kansas towns. Believe me, it is better here than anywhere else I have lived as far as attitudes about race and sexuality. When these bigots are caught my bet is they were from somewhere else.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

Four guys in a car at 2 a.m. that pick up some unsuspecting guy.....It may appear to the casual observer that the assailants had something in mind from the outset...Ya think? some drunked up smart alecky college boys that used to be steriod soaked high school atheltes not good enough to play in college gots to go out and reaffirm their lack of self esteem by whoopin up on some kid....

Christine Anderson 3 years, 10 months ago

Well, like some other posters have said, it was not a good decision, but Rudolph IS still a victim of absolute insanity on the part of those who assaulted him. Recover quickly and God Bless.

edjayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

If it goes to trial I wonder if Fred and the Klan will show up...

iloveyoutoo 3 years, 10 months ago

For all of you posters claiming he did this to himself by getting in the car with strangers...

Based on what I read in the article, I am led to believe that had they never asked him if he was gay, it's possible that he would've been taken home safely. I think that's the whole issue here. These strangers very well may have had good intentions to start but once they found out he was gay THEY made the bad decision.

I just don't see how anyone can say it was his fault because he got in the car with strangers. That doesn't seem to be the issue. The reason they beat him up wasn't because he got into the ride they were offering. It was because they found out he was gay and probably wouldn't have offered him a ride if they'd known.

I just can't stand that things like this happen. I understand we don't all share the same beliefs but why not just leave it at that? Why do we have to let others know that we don't agree with something by resorting to violence or hateful words?

Steve Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

People, it's like this, the apple does not fall far from the tree !! It's in the rearing !!

tanaumaga 3 years, 10 months ago

four guys and you had to sucker punch one little dude? pretty weak. pathetic actually. i can't wait until you mess with the wrong person and get on the other side of a hiding. karma is a b*tch, just like you four losers.

KLATTU 3 years, 10 months ago

Thank goodness we live in a society of laws instead of mob rule. No one, even if they make foolish decisions, deserves to be a victim of violent crime.

MacHeath 3 years, 10 months ago

The guys that did this better realize they are going to have the Feds messing with them. I doubt everyone in the car was a willing participant. You better turn yourself in. You are looking at a long prison time, and a lot of public humiliation.

kansastruthteller 3 years, 10 months ago

rando how can you believe that people are not born gay? Just look at some young children who do not know what gay is and you can tell they are gay.

I could never choose to be gay because I am just not wired that way - it is like trying to push two magnets same side together. Just ain't happening. I'm wired for attraction to the opposite sex - it is not a choice for me, it is how I was born and I can't change that just as gay people can't change who they are.

I can imagine disliking someone because they are annoying, have different political views, dishonsest, etc., but I can't imagine disliking or hating someone because they are gay. I know too many decent and good people who happen to be gay. Being gay should not define a person. And gay people hurt themselves when they let their sexuality define who they are.

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

What was his reason/motivation for getting in a car at two am with strangers?

this is a big part of the story that is missing??

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

What was his reason/motivation for getting in a car at two am with strangers?

this is a big part of the story that is missing??

thuja 3 years, 10 months ago

This is like reading the story of a person who made a personal decision to enter a war zone and is now complaining that he was attacked.

I'm not sure that the activities of young men at 2am in Downtown in any way warrants a close look at our society, especially a segment who were most likely consuming the dangerous and unpredictable drug called alcohol.

lifeisnopicnik 3 years, 10 months ago

Bad decision by Rudy or not, what happened to him is NOT ok. I have encountered him around several times - not only in Lawrence - and he is probably the most friendly person I have EVER chanced upon. I am so sorry for what has happened to him, and I really hope that whomever did this to him will be caught and punished.

Randall Barnes 3 years, 10 months ago

independant1 3 years, 10 months ago

Humanity is not yet ready for either real truth or real harmony. (Will Rogers)

independant1 3 years, 10 months ago

Humanity is not yet ready for either real truth or real harmony. (Will Rogers)

independant1 3 years, 10 months ago

Allow me the poetic license to do a snap.

Flag! 15 yard penalty, offense, alochol/testosterone laced flagrant suckerpunch and loss of down. Defense warned for excessive celebration.

kansastruthteller 3 years, 10 months ago

Hate crime? Is there a love crime? Does it really make a difference that they assaulted him because he was gay? If he was straight would the act be any less heinous?

Hate crimes, special rights, etc. are counterproductive because they serve to segregate certain populations when we should be working to integrate people without labels. A person certain be percieved as black, white, gay, straight, etc. but instead by their worth with which they are born and the talents, personality and character they acquire in life.

Better for all if Mr. Neugebauer was known as a student and gifted muscian rather than a gay man. Think about it, we label things in life, whether it is office folders or people because we want to separate them.

stuckinthemiddle 3 years, 10 months ago

now and then when I read the comments here on the LJW site I think there sure seems to be more and more hateful rednecks in Lawrence... and then I let the notion slide and figure that it's just a very small number of frustrated and or otherwise messed up people who just have some need to mouth off...

but reading this reveals a reality... that there are at least some, and definitely too many hateful, horridly ignorant and dangerous people running loose in this town...

I hope for the best for Mr. Neugebauer... and I hope that the neanderthals that attacked him are captured and caged...

independant1 3 years, 10 months ago

alcohol 2am ride w/strangers sucker punched

Evidently things ain't changed much since the 50's. It's a brute world out there sometimes. Right here in river city.

jaywalker 3 years, 10 months ago

Messed up, with a capital F. Where's our humanity?

jaywalker 3 years, 10 months ago

Messed up, with a capital F. Where's our humanity?

bradh 3 years, 10 months ago

You're all assuming the guy is telling the truth. Let the cops find the perps and get to the bottom of things. I hate the way we try things in the media these days with only one side of the story, only to find out months later that the one side was just that, one side and often made up.

amesn 3 years, 10 months ago

This situation saddens me greatly. I hope the victim does not have any permanent effects such as vision loss due to this completely appalling event. I'm sure he realizes now how significant the lack of judgement on his part was to accept a ride from strangers but in a small way I can relate to being too trusting and naïve about our community. I don't always lock my house when I leave or have left my keys in the ignition to my vehicle while running into a convenience store for a pop. So far this hasn't come to bite me in the *ss

XEPCT 3 years, 10 months ago

That should never happen in Lawrence. I'm disappointed.

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

Homer Simpson post of the Day!

Raider 3 years, 10 months ago

First off Rudolph.... It sucks that you were sucker-punched and had to go to the ER. But really.... you jumped in the car with a bunch of strangers. At what point do you take responsibility for your own actions?

I don't doubt they made anti-gay remarks. I also don't doubt they hit you because of it. It's pretty obvious they are a bunch of idiots and deserve to have the *&$^# kicked out of them. But .....a hate crime? Really? Did you stop to think your actions could have contributed to the incident just a little bit? After all, you admitted that you hopped in the car with these guys and you didn't know a single one of them.

Come on... what sane gay male jumps in a car with a bunch of strangers? Especially a bunch of straight guys at 2:00am when all the bars have just closed? And perhaps you weren't completely sober yourself? At some point we as gay men have to draw the line between legitimate hate crimes and things we bring upon ourselves.

And before the rest of the bashers jump on me, I'm NOT saying there aren't legitimate hate crimes toward gay men. I'm saying that specifically in this case there maybe could be more to the story. In the least, had common sense prevailed then Rudolph may have not been in this situation to begin with.

Telling your story as if you wee viciously attacked for no reason, minding your own business, walking down the street, etc.... when you are the one who admittedly put yourself in that situation is wrong. And to top it off you ask a group in KC to raise money for your medical expenses? Sounds like more of an attention grab.

Just sayin.....

fanaddict 3 years, 10 months ago

He is a friend of a friend of mine (gotta love facebook). A few days ago I saw the pictures of this guys eye...it was horrifying. No matter the poor decision he made he didn't deserve that.

balishag 3 years, 10 months ago

LJworld makes me laugh. They delete my comment because I noted that they over blew this story. Nice job.

blue73harley 3 years, 10 months ago

I just weep uncontrollably!

Then I kill them per Puddleglum's weapon of choice ;-)

biggunz 3 years, 10 months ago

Hey Blue, You hate mean people? What happens when someone annoys the biker??? LOL....Do you smile and give them a lollipop? Don't get bent, I'm kidding. Just read your comment then saw your avatar.

blue73harley 3 years, 10 months ago

I hate mean people. Ditto the bad karma homing in on them.

brutas61 3 years, 10 months ago

Lawrence Kansas has more hetero-phobes than anyplace most of us have ever been apart from San Francisco and Austin. Get real. That's all we need is to have more of our neighbors' sexuality rubbed in our faces.

Here's a safety tip. Don't take rides from strangers. Don't stay out too late, especially downtown. Oh, and please keep your sexuality to yourself.

Pywacket 3 years, 10 months ago

Obviously, the victim made a bad choice in accepting a ride from those ass clowns, but he didn't deserve to be assaulted for it. I'm sure he realizes now that men are no safer than women when it comes to trusting strangers. So glad he was not injured even worse!

The ignorant thug who hit him, along with the guy's cowardly companions who have not done the right thing by turning him in, deserve something really nasty to happen to them. Hope that karma homes in on them real soon.

balishag 3 years, 10 months ago

bjt 3 years, 10 months ago

Hatred is out there no matter what your choices, it seems people can be prejudice about anything even how you look. I know an older lady in our community that 'looks different' because she has hormonal issues and people either laugh or turn away from her if they see her, most won't even speak to her and cross the street to avoid her and worst part is no one takes the time to get to know her...people can be cruel just because you are different, just so sad.

Randall Barnes 3 years, 10 months ago

puddleglum 3 years, 10 months ago

fight hate with a good ol' 1911 colt .45.

i am very pretty, and I am the center of constant attention, i always carry, just in case some ugly person gets jealous and freaks out.

sickofdummies 3 years, 10 months ago

“It’s 2010. This really should be gone and done with by now,”

He's right about there needing to be tolerance by now. But...who, since 1970 takes rides from strangers, and expects to come out of it unharmed. Women haven't been able to do that EVER! Why should men (gay or straight) be able to do it just because its 2010? Come on, and use a little common sense!

Angela Heili 3 years, 10 months ago

He is a victim of his own bad decision. Common sense and survival instinct tells most people, "Don't get in a car with strangers." We teach this to our children from the time they are very young to the day we see them become adults and leave the nest. We also teach them that there are consequences to every action, both good and bad. Yes he is a victim of assault. Yes it wouldn't have happened if he hadn't foolishly accepted a ride from a car full of strangers. I hope for his sake he has learned his lesson, all be it a little late, and doesn't ask for a ride from strangers again. The outcome next time could be much worse. This story is just another "see, this is what happens" example that parents will show their children to prove the point.....you don't take rides from strangers.

I wish Mr. Neugebauer a speedy recovery.

Leslie Swearingen 3 years, 10 months ago

Rudolph, I am sorry that this happened to you. It sounds as though it was very painful, both physically and emotionally. But, I want you to know that not everyone in Lawrence hates others because of who they are. You have to be very, very careful and not accept anyone at face value. Even a short talk with someone may not reveal a trait that in a particular situation will make things go badly and fast. I hope the police find whoever did this and they are punished accordingly. Now, your life must go on and you must be the person that you know you can be.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 10 months ago

Downtown isn't safe for anyone at 2 AM. Not so sure I'd call it a hate crime, but assault for sure and I hope they get the guy.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 10 months ago

"Neugebauer said the incident happened after he accepted a ride home from a group of people he didn’t know."

No comment, just shaking my head.