Archive for Saturday, July 17, 2010

Accidents along I-70 cleared, traffic flow restored

July 17, 2010

Accidents along a stretch of I-70 near Lawrence Saturday afternoon have been cleared and traffic flow through the area has been restored.

Two accidents reported on I-70 near mile marker 205 created a traffic jam near the West Lawrence exit around 4 p.m. Saturday. While no lanes were closed, traffic was backed up by about 3 miles. The Kansas Turnpike Authority advised motorists in the area at the time to plot an alternate course through the area.

No one was injured during the incidents.

Comments

jackpot 4 years, 5 months ago

Still backed up past K-mart. Just not moving much at all.

devobrun 4 years, 5 months ago

I've been out in the sun most of the afternoon. I might not be thinking too clearly. Two accidents @ west Larry exit. Eastbound traffic asked to take alternate route. Traffic backed up to Eudora.

Which is it, westbound causing traffic backing up to Eudora? Or eastbound causing traffic to back up toward Lecompton?

Or maybe the westbounders are so wrapped up in rubbernecking that it is backed up to Eudora.

dobz77 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes it was bad!!! My van vapor locked and died. I had to try and keep moving to get to the Lawrence service area after I finally got it started.

devobrun 4 years, 5 months ago

State budget idea:

Let a new contract to the construction company to make turnout lanes each way in the vicinity of the Lawrence turnpike access points.

Place camera, radar, lidar, sonar, and any other sensors available to catch every vehicle not driving @ 60 mph or below. Place storm troopers in the turnout area who can write really fast.

The wrecks are mounting in the west Larry exit.

The state needs the revenue.

People friggin' drive too fast through this construction area.

Fines are doubled in a construction zone.

The state could be making $1000 an hour, mostly from out-of-staters.

Kent Fisher 4 years, 5 months ago

Warning: We exited westbound I-70 at the Tonganoxie exit. We made it to about 2 miles east of Tee-Pee junction and traffic is at a standstill.

Yellow 4 years, 5 months ago

As too the revenue issues listed above beware you will be charged extra at the toll booths. Unfortunately I got on I 70 before there was any news of this accident. I entered I 70 at entry 197 and exited at 202, but sat on the highway for 1.5 hours before i could get to exit 202 and had to pay double the fee due to timing according to the toll attendent!

devobrun 4 years, 5 months ago

Awesome, Yellow. Officials strike again. Ahem, experts know when, where, how and what to avoid on the Kansas Turnpike. So, you got the advice to avoid eastbound traffic, got on the road westbound, and found it to be 1.5 hours to travel 5 miles. Hmmm, that will cost you double.

Remember, folks we are dealing with KTA and LJW experts here. Believe them. They have years of experience in gathering and disseminating expert control of the turnpike.

Or maybe, just maybe.....you should question experts. Maybe, the internet, and word of mouth and common sense and.......nah, believe the experts because you'll be thought of poorly by the rest of the society.

Hey, LJW. Its been 3 hours. Which direction on the turnpike should travelers avoid? No, we don't need to know anything else. The public needs to know if they should not enter at the west Larry turnpike entrance. If so, can they enter going eastbound and not westbound, or visa versa. Should people not enter at the Eudora (Tongie) toll area west bound or east bound or what?

No, we really don't need to know how many people died so we can have them in our thoughts and prayers.

Do your job.

wmathews 4 years, 5 months ago

We're definitely in the wrong here and apologies are in order. Someone should have followed up on this story, posted an update and sent out text alerts for people away from their computers. I've asked our overnight Web Producer to complete the story, despite it being too little too late.

Whitney Mathews Online Editor

devobrun 4 years, 5 months ago

So, based upon the reports of KUHOOPS, and RATM, the westbound lanes are backed up. Yes, I know, KTA advised LJW that the public should avoid the eastbound lanes. Who ya gonna believe, officials, or the general public? Officials are "experts". The press are "experts". "Experts" aren't people, they are experts.

I'm stayin' home tonight either way. It's just too hot out there.

musicstudent 4 years, 5 months ago

I am confused... Isn't mile 205 near East Lawrence? Is the title meant to say that the traffic is backed up to the west lawrence exit? I was expecting mile marker 197 or 202 by the description.

radicool12 4 years, 5 months ago

i would of told the attendent that there was a wreck and if she still wanted to charge me i would of told her i wanted to talk to her boss

bearded_gnome 4 years, 5 months ago

storm troopers?

looking at everything in today's online ljworld, I think a substantial portion of our populus has completely gone into the screaming meemee's!!
maybe we need helicopter spraying of valium? put a "behavior control technician" aboard it too.

devobrun 4 years, 5 months ago

But we don't, gnome.

Valium is the only thing left, gnome. Rational discussion has yielded nothing. We live in an advancing borg.

And we're starting to get pissed by the poor quality of it all. Economy, BP oil wells, canceled space programs, unpayable national debt, looming computer borg medicine, and even turnpike management that sucks.

Valium is the only answer, gnome. Or maybe vitamin T.

jackpot 4 years, 5 months ago

After three hours looks like EB go up to speed and no back up behind the house.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 5 months ago

Devo: Valium is the only answer, gnome. Or maybe vitamin T.

---yes one wonders about the stressors you list! it is getting bad in our world.
but how much stress disorder are you suffering from the emasculation of NASA? and is it the NASA forced to only study fake manmade global warming, or is it that NASA is now in charge of making muslim countries feel good about their science and math contributions in history?
or both?

borgs? hey, for all you know, I might be a borg. or worse, perhaps I am just a software routine implanted inside the LJWorld's own servers?

or just maybe these words don't really exist for anyone else besides you Devo?
reality is consentual.

storm troopers?

does the turnpike really exist? or is it just a convenient delusion we all agree upon?

bearded_gnome 4 years, 5 months ago

Devo: You are not on the turnpike because of erroneous information. You weren't charged double because you were on the road too long. I can't look at everything in the online LJW. I doubt you did either. And the screaming meemees are a result of the promise of a better world. One that is an "expert system". Computer controlled, managed by experts who have data and information and knowledge, and perhaps wisdom.............

But we don't, gnome.

---just to be clear, I was not meaning to imply that you have hit "the screaming meemees!
I do agree that our culture is trying to move too fast, has lost many of its foundational values, and is wobbling terribly.