Nine children seriously injured in school bus crash on I-35 near Wellsville

9 children injured

July 17, 2010, 11:38 a.m. Updated July 17, 2010, 4:45 p.m.

Mile marker 191 along I-35

— A school bus carrying nearly 30 children crashed Saturday in eastern Kansas, injuring nine children including one who was flown to a hospital with critical injuries, authorities said.

The children were on their way back to Missouri from a church camp when their bus rolled along Interstate 35 near Wellsville about 10 a.m., according to the Kansas Highway Patrol.

“It was a fiasco when I got there,” said Trooper Neil Stanley, who was the first trooper on the scene. “Whenever you get the call from a school bus, it’s pretty scary.”

Eight children were taken to local hospitals in ambulances with injuries that ranged from possible broken bones and back and neck pain, and one child was airlifted to Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., Stanley said.

He did not know the condition of the child who was flown to the hospital, and a hospital spokeswoman said she could not confirm that the child was being treated there.

The cause of the accident is under investigation. But Stanley said the bus, which was headed back to Missouri from a Baptist church camp in rural Franklin County, appeared to have overcorrected and then rolled, ending up on its side in the northbound lanes of the highway.

There were 34 people on the bus, including the driver, four teenage counselors and 29 children, who ranged in age from 8 to 15.

Stanley said most of the children had cuts and bruises, and some of those taken to hospitals complained of back and neck pain. “It was just because they were tossed around in the bus,” he said.

Several children were crying and asking for their parents when he arrived. Some wanted cell phones so they could call home, he said.

“We tried to do what we could until the ambulance arrived,” he said, adding that the bus driver’s children were also on the bus, but the extent of their injuries was not known.

Several people who saw the accident stopped and started helping the children.

“A lot of volunteers just came up, and people who were just moms and dads and who just wanted to help,” he said.

It was unclear where in Missouri the bus was headed, Stanley said.

Follow LJWorld on Twitter

Comments

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

A parent's worst nightmare, prayers for all involved.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 5 months ago

OK, just picking nits with the weekend editor here. I hope all injured recover quickly.

But...

Headline: 26 injured Article: 26 required medical treatment; 18 Code Greens; 23 children on bus; children not injured will be bused to Ottawa

Confusing writing.

If you are "not injured" why do you receive medical treatment? Or did they? Or were the Code Greens transported to Ottawa?

We can tell there were at least three non-youth on he bus, because 26>23. So did the 18 Code Greens consist of everyone except the 8 Code yellow-reds? Or were there more uninjured adults on the bus?

sharong 4 years, 5 months ago

Your comment is stupid enough concerning such a horrible tragedy without you posting it twice.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 5 months ago

But...

Confusing writing.

wmathews 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm a little confused about your question here. Nick's writing is clear to me. Twenty six patients needed medical treatment and he identified the level of severity (green, yellow or red). Obviously some of the 23 children were either treated at the scene as code greens (minor injuries) or were not injured, as they're being taken to the Franklin County Sheriff's Department.

It's unknown at this time how many of those injured are children vs. adults and exactly how many people were on the bus, or that important information would be included in the story.

Whitney Mathews Online Editor

Dec84 4 years, 5 months ago

Pywacket, does it really matter? It will not change the outcome, so do us a favor and STFU...and just hope that they are OK.

wmathews 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm not seeing that sentence in the current text. It may have been in there while I was away from my computer (not working today).

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 5 months ago

Edits to the headline and article have fixed the ambiguity. Thanks.

Dec84 4 years, 5 months ago

You mean you did'nt feel safe, even though you wore a helmet? I can see that it d made it harder to lick the window, but I thought you did that (licked the window) to calm yourself down.

thebigspoon 4 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if they all had their seatbelts on ? Oh wait I forgot school buses don't have seatbelts. I still don't understand how a school bus is exempt for the seatbelt law ? Anyway I hope that everyone will be okay after this accident.

GonetotheDogs 4 years, 5 months ago

Let me see if I can explain to you why there are not seatbelts on full sized buzzes.

Can you tell me, HOW, you think that if the driver somehow became disabled, all of those kids would get out of those seatbelts? Those seats are designed to act as a barrier to keep the passengers in the seat. Passenger cars are not. Now, that being said, BUCKLE UP~ its the law!

thebigspoon 4 years, 5 months ago

Maybe they could reach down, grasp the buckle, and pull, kind of like they do in their family cars. And what do you mean the seats are to act as barriers and cars arent? Do you mean that the metal framed, unpadded rear sides of bus seats are a better barrier to flying children then the fully padded seats of cars? If that is it, you have not been in a bus in a long time, nor are you grounded well in physics. A child flung into the seat in front of him is in more danger of harm, by far, than one belted into his seat.

GonetotheDogs 4 years, 5 months ago

For your info, not that it will matter, but I do know. Coming from being a driver of school buses for several years (with safety awards), being DOT licensed, and having friends in law enforcement, I do know that although not terribly comfortable, plush and beautiful, those seats do have padding (front and back), and are designed to keep the passenger in the general area of the seat in which they started out in! Those seats, do allow for movement between them, but not as much as they would have in a passenger car, thereby having less chance of major injury even though they are not belted in. Also, keep in mind that many of the passengers on a school bus, do not have the strength and wits of the average adult- meaning they are kids. Scared and confused kids(and up to 72 kids can ride on 1, count it ONE, bus). Now, if that doesn't do it for you, then please prove a point for me. Go out sometime and crawl in an overturned vehicle, lift yourself up and get buckled in. Then, once all the blood rushes to your head, pretend you are a scared kid, and with all of you weight on that buckle, with just a couple fingers, try to unbuckle yourself. Yeah, nuff said.

topflight 4 years, 5 months ago

ralphralph 4 years, 5 months ago

Cost is the only reason there are not seatbelts on busses. Cost. Period.

domino 4 years, 5 months ago

Many church busses are refurbished school busses.

Linda Aikins 4 years, 5 months ago

You armchair editors are pathetic. Who cares if it is 1 or I? For crying out loud. Small children and teenagers were in a school bus accident!!!! Focus your energies and prayers on those children and the adults and the parents!!!!!!

Randall Barnes 4 years, 5 months ago

what a moron who cares ? and if yo look it is I-35 this is a story about the injured children which i hope all recover and not a grammer lesson.

Linda Aikins 4 years, 5 months ago

How about an email that does not show up in the article? Or perhaps a phone call? And I won't argue religion with you Py.

Linda Aikins 4 years, 5 months ago

Py I think you need your own newspaper.

Linda Aikins 4 years, 5 months ago

I believe it said energies and prayers. I think that covers all beliefs, right? I am so not down on athiests. You need to quit using the between the lines excuse for your rants.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 5 months ago

My prayers and thoughts go out to all involved.

frankfussman 4 years, 5 months ago

Whitney, can you take care of this guy, posting the same dreary thing on all of the LJ-World reader comments sites available today!!!???

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 5 months ago

and make sure to keep you eye out for the Heritage Baptist Church bus. it's blue and white. they pack that sucker full of kids and adults that do not sit in their seats properly. I saw them downtown by the police station yesterday. Kids were sitting on the backs of seats, against the window, standing up and all over the place. looked like a huge accident waiting to happen itself. But running around getting in and out of your bus i guess sitting and being safe is alot to ask