Archive for Friday, July 16, 2010

Two men seriously injured in accident north of Lawrence

Officers and emergency response crews work the scene after an accident in the 2000 block of E. 1400 Road. Two men were seriously injured after a motorcycle collided with a tractor turning left off E. 1400 Road.

July 16, 2010, 9:14 a.m. Updated July 16, 2010, 10:49 a.m.

2000 block of E. 1400 Road
Accident on E. 1400 Road

Emergency response personnel respond to the scene of an accident involving a motorcycle and a tractor pulling a mower Friday morning near the intersection of E. 1400 Road and N. 2000 Road. Enlarge video

Two seriously injured in accident

Two people sustained serious injuries in an accident Friday morning. The accident happened when a motorcycle hit a tractor that was attempting to turn. Enlarge video

Two men were seriously injured after an accident in the 2000 section of East 1400 Road on Friday morning.

Emergency crews were called to the scene at 8:55 a.m. after a motorcycle traveling north on East 1400 Road collided with a tractor traveling south, according to Douglas County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sgt. Steve Lewis.

Lewis said Allan Easum, 83, of Jefferson County, was attempting a left turn from East 1400 Road onto a gravel road when the motorcycle struck the back right tire of his tractor.

The driver of the motorcycle, Ryan Rubow, 29, of McLouth, was taken to Kansas University Hospital via LifeStar helicopter with serious injuries.

No information on his condition was available Friday night.

Easum was taken by Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka with serious injuries.

A family member reported that Easum had surgery on Friday afternoon and remained in intensive care. The hospital listed him in fair condition Friday night.

Comments

MacHeath 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't know if anyone is still reading these posts, but I get darned tired of folks that say that no intersection would be bad if people just drove correctly. These folks are the ones that can't accept the fact that bad things happen to good people. I heard the same sort of bull when I have posted about the Baldwin junction on 59. That intersection on Wellman road is particularly bad. You can't see 59 far either way. There is a third gravel road that intersects at the same place. You have the business on the other side of the road. All this mess makes a dangerous intersection, at any speed. If there was ever a place to put a roundabout, that is the place.

Ashley Shoemaker 3 years, 9 months ago

My prayers are with you Al!!!! You will pull through this!

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

He's out of surgery now. That's one very lucky man, but what Erin wrote says enough for public view, I don't feel comfortable disclosing more in depth details. It's going to be a long haul. Good thing he's tough.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

If anyone gets info on Ryan's condition, please pm or email me.

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

I watched a semi pull out at the last minute in front of the motorcycle directly in front of me on 6th street near Iowa about an hour ago. We both had to hit the brakes, scary. But as someone pointed out, the motorcycle may not have been in sight when he started his turn. It's been a long time since I've been on that road, but sometimes visibility is not good and the motorcycle may not have seen the tractor till too late. Tractors, especially when pulling something, don't turn that fast so I'm assuming lack of visibility may definitely be a factor. Had a few scary close calls on that road in my younger days myself, as a passenger. Prayers to the families.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 9 months ago

As stated by others, this was not at the Wellman Road/Midland Junction intersection.

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 9 months ago

What a shame. Mr Easum has been enjoying his retirement and has been quite sharp. His accident is what I always feared would happen to both of my parents and leave them stranded in a nursing home for ever. Thank god, that didn't happen. Even my own father who delivered meals on wheels until he was 89 stopped because one day he had misplaced his insurance card. He knew that he should not be on the road without it. I am so greatful that neither of them had to be in an auto accident.

My best wishes to the Easums and the family of the motorcyclist as well. Those cycles are dangerous, they really are.

50YearResident 3 years, 9 months ago

Blame Google, not the JWorld as I have noticed errors on google arrow pointer locations in some rural location maps.

lawrenceguy40 3 years, 9 months ago

This happened on Wellman Road, nowhere near where the notoriously inaccurate LJW pointed to on their map. There are no bends and it is not a dangerous intersection.

Whitney, you need to be a mile north of your arrow, as it points at 12:52pm.

Hope both do OK.

gccs14r 3 years, 9 months ago

I finally watched the video segment. The accident was at the intersection of N 2100 Rd and E 1400 Rd, which is a lot different place than N 2000 and E 1400 (Midland Junction). While Midland Junction does need to be redesigned, it had nothing to do with this accident. Also, it looks like there are clear sight lines at the scene, so it's more likely that the tractor driver just didn't have good enough vision to see the bike coming. The bike is in relatively good condition and did not travel far after the collision, so it did not hit the tractor at very high speed, indicating that the bike was probably not speeding at the time of the accident.

thebigspoon 3 years, 9 months ago

I live North of there and yes there are Sheriff cars out there a lot running radar. They like to sit right on the county line road and across from Arnie's boats. They also sit at the farm store at night quite often. I know that very few people pay attention to the 45 mph speed limit going around the curves there. I guess they will be there more now that this has happened. Speed is usually a factor in the accidents in this area I am sure.

Jay_lo 3 years, 9 months ago

yourworstnightmare (anonymous) replies… "I must confess to purposefully trolling. I just wanted to test the Pavlovian response to any criticism of motorcyclists.

My experiment was a success!"

BULL! You just decided for yourself that the motorcycle was behind the tractor and cut it too close while not slowing down as it passed the tractor. You simply misread the story, you weren't purposely trolling with that part of your statement.

As for your Pavlovian response experiment, I neither ride nor am any special kind of fan of motorcycles, so was responding only to your incorrect information. Not defending motorcyclists in general from your criticism.

purplesage 3 years, 9 months ago

Police frequently sit alongside the road in this area. The DG Co portion of Wellman is the best part of the whole thing and has, by 10MPH, the lowest speed limit. That hill by the boat storage place makes for a good speed trap.

Wellman is a crummy, dumpy, overtraveled road, especially from 16 south to 59. Traffic is lighter to the N. of that point. All of those intersections are bad. In fact, the whole lenght of the the road is plagued by poor visibility, oddly angled intersections and other hazards.

I can't think of two more incompatible vehicles, speed, visibility, etc. than a motorcycle and a tractor. I hope the young man does all right and that the elderly gentleman is not seriously injured.

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 9 months ago

Also...it's good to see that the motorcyclist was wearing a helmet. Hopefully that will increase his chances of survival.

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 9 months ago

If the motorcycle was traveling at a high rate of speed, it's possible he wasn't even visible yet when Mr. Easum attempted his turn.

Regardless of who was at fault, I hope both of the men survive this. My thoughts are with their families.

Truami 3 years, 9 months ago

If people really cared about the oil spill they would stop driving. If you stop driving then you don't have car accidents. If car accidents go away the death rate drops by a lot. Karma and Fate do exist... the fact that there are so many car accidents is a warning sign that we are damaging the planet and the planet is fighting back. How could this be? Collect Conciousness and the fact that we live on a sentient being. Doubt me? Prove me wrong so that I know the facts :)

50YearResident 3 years, 9 months ago

Where did the truck appear from? It was a tractor. A mower attached to a tractor swings outward several feet when making a turn. I have hit more than one fence while mowing with a brush cutter.

meggers 3 years, 9 months ago

Good analysis, Jay_Lo. It sounds like the driver of the truck just didn't see the motorcycle and turned in front of him. That sort of thing happens far too often.

Regardless of who is to blame, I hope everyone recovers ok.

Jay_lo 3 years, 9 months ago

yourworstnightmare (anonymous) says… "Cyclists take too many risks. Aparently, this one was trying to cut it as close as possible to the tractor during the turn.

Motorists must watch for cyclists, but cyclists must also take responsibility for their behavior on the road.

A loud bike doesn't make up for foolish behavior."

Might want to reread the story. Vehicles were travelling in opposite directions. Sounds like the tractor attempted a left turn in front of oncoming traffic (motorcycle). Cycle hit right rear tire which would be the one presented to oncoming traffic as tractor attempted left turn.

Tractor also had rotary mower on back. Sounds like it left little if any room for the motorcyclist to avoid it. Miss the rear tire, hit either the frame of the tractor in front of tire or the mower behind the tire.

Sounds more like 83 year old with less than perfect eyesight may not have seen the motorcycle coming, turned in front, and offered cyclist no chance to avoid collision.

Pywacket 3 years, 9 months ago

Heard you the first time, pianoman. You were evidently bursting out of your skin in your haste to post that important observation. (Hint: if you have hit "post," just be patient--it sometimes takes longer than usual to post. There is no need to press the key again.)

I feel for the LJW--they are damned if they do, damned if they don't. If we don't have instant access to breaking news, they are mocked for not being the KC Star. If they get reports up as they roll in, modifying and correcting as new data become available, they are mocked for not "checking the facts."

I think they do a pretty good job of posting as much as they can, as accurately as they can, as quickly as they can on most of these stories. When there are errors, it's usually due to what they were given by another source--not because they messed up.

And they are invariably gracious about correcting errors, even thanking readers who reported those errors in a less-than-polite tone.

I have made critical comments here and there (and may do so again) but I want to make sure that they get credit for a job well done when it is deserved--as it is, more often than not!

thepianoman 3 years, 9 months ago

These days, it's about getting the information posted as quickly as possible.....Checking the facts is only a minor detail.......Sad, but true........

thepianoman 3 years, 9 months ago

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 9 months ago

A loud bike doesn't make up for foolish behavior.

50YearResident 3 years, 9 months ago

Multiple injuries? Just how many people can get on one motorcycle?

gccs14r 3 years, 9 months ago

That intersection needs to be redesigned. There is too much traffic there now to leave it the way it is.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 9 months ago

That's terrible - from the map, it appears that it happened at the exact same intersection that a friend of mine was killed at many years ago. I can never drive through it without thinking about him.

But, he was drunk, riding a motorcycle, and he ran the stop sign at a very high rate of speed, according to the police report.

So there really was nothing the truck driver could do to avoid the accident. And, I'm sure he remembers that accident too, every time he passes through that intersection.

bwebcorp 3 years, 9 months ago

Now your on the money. All the firetrucks, ambulances, and polices cars were heading through North Lawrence. Original statement seemed a little off.

MacHeath 3 years, 9 months ago

That is a dangerous intersection. Hope everyone is ok.

wmathews 3 years, 9 months ago

The original address reported was incorrect, and we've updated the story. Thank you for letting us know!

Whitney Mathews Online Editor

Kryptonite 3 years, 9 months ago

I think that is supposed to be 2000 East 1400 Road up Wellman road.