Archive for Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Suspect in KU Credit Union robbery charged with armed robbery

Timothy L. Hays, the suspect in Monday's robbery of the KU Credit Union, 3400 W. Sixth St, was charged with aggravated robbery and obstruction on Tuesday.

July 13, 2010, 11:31 a.m. Updated July 13, 2010, 5:35 p.m.

A Douglas County prosecutor Tuesday said a 21-year-old man accused of robbing a Lawrence credit union has a long criminal history, including being shot in 2009 attempting to rob someone at a Lawrence mobile home park.

That 2009 case against Timothy L. Hays was dismissed because the victim refused to testify, but David Melton, a chief assistant district attorney, said prosecutors consider Hays a “danger to the public.”

The district attorney’s office filed charges of aggravated robbery and obstruction against Hays, accusing him of committing the Monday afternoon robbery at the KU Credit Union, 3400 W. Sixth St.

“This crime, as the court knows from reading the affidavit, was committed in a brazen manner and was committed with a handgun,” Melton told Judge Pro Tem James George, who set bond for Hays at $250,000.

Police accuse Hays of approaching the counter of the credit union about 3 p.m. Monday. A teller told police the suspect showed a handgun and demanded money before grabbing an undisclosed amount of cash and leaving through the front door of the building, which is near Sixth Street and Kasold Drive.

Lawrence police released surveillance photos of the suspect in the bank at the teller’s counter.

Officers who were in the area performing an investigation were able to locate the suspect walking around 6 p.m., Monroe said. After a brief foot chase, officers arrested Hays in the 600 block of Arizona Street.

Jail records identified Hays as a transient from Lawrence. Melton said prosecutors considered Hays a flight risk because he was unemployed and had ties to the Kansas City area.

George appointed Lawrence attorney Greg Robinson to represent Hays. He also ruled that — if Hays makes bond — he will need to wear a GPS-tracking bracelet.

A Lawrence police spokesman confirmed federal authorities were contacted in connection with the investigation into Monday’s robbery.

“Any time we have a bank robbery in Lawrence we usually contact the FBI,” Sgt. Michael Monroe said.

According to the KU Credit Union’s website, it is insured with the National Credit Union Administration, an independent federal agency.

During Tuesday’s court appearance, Melton referred to the 2009 case when Hays and another man were shot when prosecutors said they were trying to rob someone Aug. 23 at Easy Living Mobile Home Park, 3323 Iowa.

That case was dismissed after the victim refused to testify, saying he was afraid of the defendants. Judge Robert Fairchild ordered the victim to serve 30 days in jail for contempt of court.

In this week’s case, Hays faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted of the aggravated robbery charge. He will next appear in court at 2 p.m. July 20 in front of Fairchild.

Comments

skinny 4 years, 5 months ago

Guess I'll have to read he Topeka Capital or Kansas City Star to get the real story and name.

Half the people I work with don’t subscribe to your paper anymore because you have no Police reports/Court/Local news anymore!!

Wake up LJWorld, you are losing your customer base!

skinny 4 years, 5 months ago

Wake up LJWorld, you are losing your customer base!

BigAl 4 years, 5 months ago

My guess is that you and half the people you work with are just too cheap to pay for it and instead read the JWorld online every day. And then complain about it.

BlackVelvet 4 years, 5 months ago

Skinny seems to hate the LJworld like Lawrence Guy hates the LPD. I wonder if they are related.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

I heard he lives in the Oread Neighborhood and rents a property owned by a member of the Oread Landlords Assoc. Perhaps you should investigate that, too. It this is indeed true, it would be grounds for leveling all of their properties, don't you think?

jayhawks71 4 years, 5 months ago

Why are so people worried about the publication of the name of someone who MIGHT be the perpetrator? What danger are you in because of their policy? It is too bad that other outlets do not have the same policy as the Journal-World. I support the LJW policy of not publishing the names of people that haven't even been before a judge. Once your name is in print (or published on the web) it is there forever. No amount of retracting undoes that. The guy is in custody, you aren't in any danger because you don't know his name the minute he was arrested. We all know the police never arrest the wrong person (this is not a knock on police, it is just a fact of life).

justtired 4 years, 5 months ago

Just look at the book-in at 1800 yesterday. It names the suspect.

calwt262 4 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if he was still covered in anti-theft indigo dye when he appeared in court? I always loved that anti-theft method. Do banks still use dye-bombs when they fork over cash to robbers?

Tristan Moody 4 years, 5 months ago

Some do, but not all do. Different techniques to ID the perp exist, and it varies from bank to bank, even branch to branch. I do happen to love the extra humiliation that the dye-pack adds though. The only thing missing is maybe some godawful-smelling chemical that doesn't wash off, like skunk musk.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 5 months ago

I would like to know how the suspect was identified as being black when just about anyone who looked at the surveillance photo could see he was not black.

nobstherapist 3 years, 11 months ago

Actually the "non-chalant" girl STANDING there was me and for those that don't know I had my teenage son on the other side of me. So rather than act irrational and possibly have the whole thing go a different way I did not bring attention to the situation. So please think outside of the box before you assume that you know the whole story. No body was hurt and I believe that the teller and I handled the situation well. If you haven't been through it please don't pretend that you have the golden answer to solve it. I am not trying to be rude but it is nuts how people want to express their thoughts and have no idea what is really going on. I sincerely pray that no woman in your life has to decide how to protect her family where death could be an option.

drex 4 years, 5 months ago

Unfortunately I know this guy and sad he can't seem to turn his life around. I pray that he will someday find peace and change his life. For those wondering about his race, his dad is black and his mom is white and she is who he looks more like.