Archive for Monday, July 12, 2010

Defense witness says Cat Tracker passengers were warned of dangers; auto dealer says it doesn’t convert school buses

A lawyer testified today that while riding the bus, he told people to get down off the top and face forward if they weren't going to get off.

July 12, 2010, 1:26 p.m. Updated July 12, 2010, 8:32 p.m.

Defendant's case begins in Cat Tracker trial

The defendants in the Cat Tracker trial called Topeka attorney LJ Leatherman, who says he told people on top of bus to get down, for their first witness. Enlarge video

It took just one day for attorneys for Briggs Auto Group to present their case in a civil trial that stems from the Cat Tracker fatality accident in Lawrence on Nov. 18, 2006.

Much of Monday’s testimony in Douglas County District Court focused on the issue at the center of the trial: Did Briggs Auto Group sell the 1988 school bus that eventually became the Cat Tracker, or was it given away as a gift?

Several witnesses for the defendant took the stand, saying they were present at a 50th birthday party for Manhattan attorney Bob Pottroff when Russell Briggs gave the school bus away as a gift.

Jurors saw a picture of a 1988 school bus with black spray paint that read “Happy 50th Bob.”

Briggs Auto Group general sales manager Scott Teenor testified that the auto dealership is not in the business of converting school buses and selling them.

“How many school buses are for sale on your lot?” attorney Larry Tyrl asked.

“Zero,” Teenor replied.

He also said it wasn’t unusual for Briggs to allow someone else to keep property on the lot.

The plaintiff, Samantha Green, whose husband, John Green, died in the accident, has claimed that Briggs Auto Group owned the bus while the conversion took place.

Attorney James Thompson argued that paperwork from the dealership shows the bus was involved in a sales transaction that took place on Feb. 9, 2005, where the bus was sold for $1,000 with Pottroff paying the sales taxes.

But witnesses for the dealership testified that giving the vehicle away as a gift was a unique situation, and they filled out the standard sales forms to show the transfer of ownership.

“The whole thing fell out of the normal process,” dealership owner Russ Briggs said. “There was no coming to the dealership and negotiating. It was, take it to his office and it was a gift.”

Earlier in the day, Topeka attorney LJ Leatherman, a member of the so-called “Cat Tracker Crew,” was the first defense witness called to the stand.

Leatherman was with the caravan that was traveling with the Cat Tracker when two people riding on the upper deck struck an overpass on Iowa Street.

John Green, 27, was killed almost instantly. Another passenger, Chris Orr, who was 34 at the time, suffered critical injuries but survived.

Families of both men filed a lawsuit against the owners, operators and manufacturers of the modified fan bus. All of the parties settled out of court, except Briggs Auto Group.

Green’s attorneys argue that Briggs purchased the original school bus that eventually was transformed into the Cat Tracker II, putting a defective and dangerous vehicle on the road.

Leatherman testified that he saw passengers on the top deck of the bus, when the vehicle made a stop at the Miller Mart at Clinton Parkway and Wakarusa Drive on its way to the Kansas University vs. Kansas State University football game.

He said he issued repeated warnings to them to get down.

“I said, ‘Look guys, you can’t be up there because stuff is a lot lower than it looks,’” Leatherman testified. “It’s not safe, and you need to get down. But if you’re not going to listen to me, at least make sure you are always looking forward.”

The defense attorneys rested their case Monday.

The judge ordered jurors to return to court at 10 a.m. Tuesday to hear closing arguments in the case. They will then begin their deliberations.

Comments

broddie 4 years, 10 months ago

they were warned twice? And still didn't get down? CASE DISMISSED

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

Warned by a civilian, not by the company or it's driver. Just a guy yelling "Hey, that looks unsafe."

It looks like the spin is that the bus was on Briggs' lot, but that Briggs never took ownership of it, so it was never Briggs' fault that it was a dangerous vehicle. That seems like a convincing arguement, but at some point they will have to do some finger-pointing: who exactly DID modify the bus?

hail2oldku 4 years, 10 months ago

Topeka attorney LJ Leatherman, a member of the so-called “Cat Tracker Crew,”

Leatherman testified that he saw passengers on the top deck of the bus, after the vehicle made a stop at the Miller Mart at Clinton Parkway and Wakarusa Drive on its way to the Kansas University vs. Kansas State University football game.

He said he issued repeated warnings to them to get down.

Sounds like Leatherman was somehow associated with the people that owned the bus to me, not just some regular citizen.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

"the so-called “Cat Tracker Crew,”"

The phrase "so called" is interesting. I think you are right: they want the jury to believe that he was in a position of authority. Was he? Can they convince the jury?

kansasredlegs 4 years, 10 months ago

What he heck is "civillian'? Mr. Leatherman is a darn fine Personal Injury Lawyer out of Topeka... I'm sure the Plaintiff hates that fact, I don't know how Plaintiff overcomes the warnings from Mr. Leatherman and the fact that there are pictures of the bus being given away as a gift before conversion.

1983Hawk 4 years, 10 months ago

IIRC, Potroff's LLC owned the bus at the time of the accident, so I'm guessing he is the one responsible for the modifications. I also seem to recall that the LLC was a tax-delinquent entity that hadn't bothered to pay corporation franchise taxes for the previous three years.

BigDog 4 years, 10 months ago

In a twist of irony, LJ Leatherman happens to be a personal injury, wrongful death and product liability attorney.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

What does it matter who owned it? The liability for the horrible accident still must fall on the victim. Even if Briggs owned the bus--which he did not--and even if the victim ignored the warnings of the people who warned him--which he apparently did--and even if the res of the defendants have already settled--which they have--the guy still, in the end, had a responsibility to himself and his family to be careful that he did not allow himself to come to harm. How is this an actionable suit against Briggs?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

It's actionable if/because Briggs made unsafe modifications to the bus. Like Ford making exploding Pintos back in the 1970s, once Briggs allegedly made the modifications, they are responsible for the safety of those modifications. Whoever made the mods didn't consider the safety issues involved.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 10 months ago

Even if Briggs didn't make the modifications, they still sold it. Had the Cat Tracker people been sold any other bus, that man would still be alive today.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

That's rampant speculation, and you know it. People who exhibit the carelessness this guy did can find any number of way in which to harm themselves.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

And, another thing: Ford accepted responsibility in the Pinto debacle because the cars were being used as they were intended to be. The bus was not. BIG difference.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

Thank you for the approval, but, just an aside, you might watch calling a poster a "fool" because Whitney really cares for the sensibilities of all of us here. Just sayin'....................

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

"The whole purpose of that bus was to get attention...they pretty much said as much."

Agreed. I think the question will come down to a question of WHO is responsible, not IF someone (other than the dead) is responsible.

As a kid, I remember bus drivers stopping the bus if kids were doing things they weren't supposed to be doing.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

For example, the "gentleman at Miller Mart" alluded to in earlier testimony. For example, Leatherman. Whether or not you believe any warnings were given at all, the situation remains the same: the man was negligent in protecting himself from obvious potential danger. Nothing else really matters in this particular case. Briggs has not been accused of neglecting to warn the man, nor has he been shown to have owned the bus, nor has he been accused of forcing him to ride in an unsafe place and manner in a place not made for occupation while in motion. The only person who could possibly assign guilt to Briggs is the same goofball who awarded that nut in the McDonald's coffee case all that money. And, if I recall, most of you posting here at that time were having a great time kaking fun of THAT verdict.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

Your post doesn't address the issue of whether Briggs modified the bus.

I think hot coffee and this bus are two very different scenarios. "Hot coffee" is always hot. Open-air vehicles (like ragtop cars) are not always unsafe, but this bus was unsafe.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

Open-air vehicles (like ragtop cars) have seats and seatbelts for the occupants to sit in and use. This bus had a platform on top without these which would lead me to believe that it was intended to be used while the bus was not moving...

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

"intended to be used while the bus was not moving"

Obviously, to people like you and me that's kind of obvious. But, if that wasn't posted or explained to the "less observant", then you've got some liability issues.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

But, according to testimony (and you and I were not there) he was warned. "Less observant", by the way is no defense under the law: try driving 80 MPH down Mass ST. and telling Officer Friendly that you didn't "observe" the speed limit signs or the heavy vehicle/pedestrian traffic. Even in speeding cases, "reasonable and prudent" overrides posted limits. Reasonable and prudent, in the case of a 27 year old father, dictates "reasonable and prudent" use of a transportation facility. A tragedy has occurred because this guy was unreasonabl and imprudent.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

Have any auto manufacturers been held lliable because they built a convertible that was ridden in unsafeley? The issue is still that the victim was ignoring common-sense and the law by riding on a moving vehicle which had no provision for such riding. That the coffee is always hot is the same as that the open-air vehicle is always unsafe without seats, belts, and whatever safety equipment would normally be provided for such uses as that to which the victim put it. Want to sit on top and watch the game when parked? Great. Want to ride on it while moving? At the least, silliness, and at most, as in this case, deadly. And your lpost of 2:23 simply confirms what I said here, so why are you debating the point?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

"The issue is still that the victim was ignoring common-sense and the law by riding on a moving vehicle which had no provision for such riding."

NO, he was not ignoring the law.

"Have any auto manufacturers been held lliable because they built a convertible that was ridden in unsafeley?"

Those convertibles have seat belts and the owner's manual clearly informs that those seat belts are to be worn at all times. These passengers were not "informed" in the same way (or so it seems).

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

Actually, I'm not sure if the victim was breaking the law... I'll have to think on that some more.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

Try riding in the back of a pickup truck and see what kind of citation you get. No safety equipment, you get a ticket.

Sita 4 years, 10 months ago

Was that law in affect at the time of this accident?

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

Great point! The safety equipment was provided for the purpose of making them safe for "open-air" use. The bus was not. Not tough making the decision to be safe by not riding in an unsafe manner.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 10 months ago

That hot coffee lawsuit is grossly misunderstood by a lot of people. McDonalds was serving coffee at 180 - 190°F which can cause a third-degree burn in 2 - 7 seconds. There had been more than 700 other reports of customers being badly burned by the coffee and McDonalds had settled various claims for more than $500,000.

That woman who sued McDonalds had third degree burns on 6 percent of her body, including her labia plus lesser burns on 16 percent of her body. She was in the hospital for 8 days, had skin grafting and lost 20% of her body weight.

So in that case, yes they should have been sued.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

And your point is that.............what? This simply proves that nuisance and frivolous suits still exist. There is no precedent here that applies to this case, and, in my opinion, not being an attorney, these suits should be given the attention they deserve: NONE. Personal responsibility and common sense are generally what US law is about and should be affirmed by a finding of no fault for this particular defendant. I'm terribly sorry his small daughter will not get to know him, but the choices he made led directly to the tragedy, not the modifying or seling of the vehicle.

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

well then hopefully you will never purchase a product that burns 6% of your body and be in the hospital, just blaming yourself.

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

Sita 4 years, 10 months ago

I am so glad to see that someone else knows this!! McDonald's was selling a coffee that was not fit for consumption, and injuring it's customers with actions that were "reckless, callous and willful". Poor Stella only wanted $20,000 to cover her medical bills, but the jury was so incensed at McDonald's careless disregard for it's customer's that it gave massive punitive damages (2 days worth of coffee sales). It makes me so sad to think that American's believe crazy soundbites without investigating (or demanding it from our media) the truth.

kansasredlegs 4 years, 10 months ago

The nut job (3rd Degree burns) was awarded all the money becasue many people had complained to McD's about the coffee being to hot and causing burns, but Coportate McD said that people wanted their coffee extremely hot and would will deal with injuries on a case by case basis. Such indifference obviously didn't sit well with that particular jury, uh?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

It is somewhat hard to believe that grown people would stand on that platform while the bus was traveling at 40 mph. They'd be alive if they had been sober and were using common sense.

1029 4 years, 10 months ago

blah, blah, blah.... drunken fool isn't paying attention to what's around him, gets himself killed, family sees an opportunity to make some money off of it....blah, blah, blah.....

BobtheBuilder 4 years, 10 months ago

I get so sick and tired of Old Enough to be your DAD knowing everything. He needs to shut his trap. Get a life, you LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent Fry 4 years, 10 months ago

Is what he posted above wrong? Does common sense not tell you that it's probably a stupid idea to be standing on top of a moving bus?

I mean I would expect a child to have to be told that it may just a little bit dangerous to be standing on the platform of a moving bus. But adults?

I will say that he (oldenuftobeurdad) is wrong in his comparison of Ford and their exploding Pintos. Owners of Pintos did not make their vehicles explode, Ford did. Therefore Ford is liable. I don't believe anyone forced these guys to stand on the top of a moving bus. And unfortunately, one of them died because of it.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

Why, Oe2byd, must everyone else chill when you, yourself, post such as you've been presenting all day? Seems the tide is against all you've said, so you might "chill" yourself.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

I called someone a loser? I attacked someone?

There are limits on how opinionated one can be when posting?

If the "tide" is 100% against me, what difference does that make? It is within my rights to look like a fool, if that's what I wish.

Why is it so easy for my simple opinions and observations to make you feel so miserable?

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

Miserable? It is hilarious to me that you assign such emotions as misery to one who simply pointed out something they believed. I may be wrong and you may be right, but I did not accuse you of calling names or attacking anyone. Just a little friendly advice was my intention. Take it or leave it--I do not think any less of you as a human for your decision. I'm sorry you feel that way, or that you think you have power over my emotions and feelings.

Linda Aikins 4 years, 10 months ago

Have they brought witnesses forward from other locations where the Cat Tracker bus had people standing on the top as they approached the stadium?

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

1) I've read the suit and have made my decision regarding its validity as a legal issue. I, of course, would have lost the case had I argued it, but my opinion is just that: my opinion. And I still believe this case should have awakened jurists and jurors alike to the issue of silly suits.

2) I was not referring to the facts of the case, I was referring to my opinion as to the validity of the case being filed in the first place. This case (the Cat Tracker) will never become urban legend, and should never have become a case at all, IN MY OPINION, to which I am entitled. You might read my entire post before lecturing me on the facts of the case.

Thank you for your post. I do enjoy most of your contributions, even when disagreeing with you. But it might be good of you to lay off the sarcasm: it doesn't become one who puts forward the persona of studied intelligence. Just my OPINION. Have a great day.

3 ) What's the difference? The answer is that I had no occasion to discuss the issue online as I did not even own a computer at the time. i do remember that I was as appalled then by the Coffee Case as I am by the current filing of this lawsuit. The way in which I make my opinion known has changed from verbal to electronic, but I still have the same opinion now as then.

ebyrdstarr 4 years, 10 months ago

How can you have an opinion as to the validity of the case being filed without referring to the specific facts of the case? A woman received 2nd and 3rd degree burns, requiring lots of painful medical treatments over a long period of time, because the coffee was too hot. McDonald's had made the calculated decision to keep their coffee at 180-190, knowing that liquid at that temperature can cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns within seconds. They decided they would rather pay out settlements to people who got burned than keep their coffee 20 degrees cooler, at temperatures where 2nd and 3rd degree burns require contact with the hot liquid for 30 seconds to a minute. Which means that a clutz has time to grab a napkin and wipe the coffee off before serious injury could occur.

Despite multiple payouts to burn victims, McDonald's refused to change their coffee temperature, which is why a lawsuit was ultimately filed. It was never a case of some silly woman filing a silly lawsuit because she spilled coffee.

But by all means, keep refusing to acknowledge the facts of the case so you can cling to your superior view that no legal action should ever have been taken.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

I can have an OPINION because I use my brain--sorry it doesn't come up with the same OPINION as yours. Next, I understand that the coffee was hot. As I, a non-coffee-drinker, understand it, coffee is really at its best "piping hot", whatever that is. It seems that McDonalds wanted its customers to have the stuff at its best. It's too bad that the courts assumed that a retailer must sell to the least denominator, i.e., the lady who could not multi-task enough to drink without spilling the stuff. And, yes, in my OPINION, this was a suit that should never have gone any further than an attorney consultation. So, I guess you can see that my response to your last statement is that I do know the facts and that IN MY OPINION, and not from any superior view, this current suit should have been disposed of prior to being filed, and certainly after judicial review of the case.

jafs 4 years, 10 months ago

Well, it seems that the trial jury and judge disagreed with your opinion.

1. The coffee was too hot to drink, according to what I've read, and significantly hotter than coffee sold by other retailers. McDonald's knew the coffee was too hot and could cause serious injuries, and made a calculated decision to deal with injuries on a case-by-case basis.

2. The trial did conclude that the woman bore some part of the responsbility - 20% - by spilling the coffee. However, if it hadn't been so hot, she wouldn't have been injured.

So McDonald's made their decision, and had to deal with this woman's case, and lost.

ebyrdstarr 4 years, 10 months ago

No, McDonald's didn't want their customers to have the best stuff. Coffee at 190 degrees isn't drinkable. Seeing as coffee at that temperature can cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns in a matter of seconds, a consumer who drank McD's coffee right away would be in some serious pain. So I still think you are ignoring the real facts of the case, that McD's had consciously chosen to keep their coffee at a dangerously high temperature at which the coffee cannot even be consumed, so they would have to throw less coffee out over the course of a day. There was a smoking gun memo making this choice clear. They were ok with subjecting a few customers to serious burns because it was better for their bottom line.

Either you're ignoring the real facts or you're just that callous that you don't think corporations should be held liable for consciously choosing to subject their customers to serious injury.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

I'd advise you to disagree with me. Someone on these boards needs a nap and is taking out their frustrations on other people.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

Nope, just frustrating assertions from you. Have a great evening!

ralphralph 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm thinking the driver, who has already settled and paid-up, probably was in the wrong without any question. This case, though, is now about a PREVIOUS owner of the bus. Who's most at fault here, the PREVIOUS owner, or the drunk idiot who wouldn't get down below or at least sit down and look forward.

Cleansing of the gene pool occurred.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

So, I am assuming from your post, Ag, that you agree that this suit should never have been brought against Briggs, as personal responsibility by both the driver and the riders was absent. That has been my point from the start.

Joe Blackford II 4 years, 10 months ago

So my Suzuki Samurai has a sticker:

WARNING: Do not remove or modify any structural component surrounding the occupant area of this vehicle. Removal or modification of these components can result in reduced occupant protection in the event of an accident.

Briggs Suzuki closed AFTER Samurai sales ended (1995). Briggs JEEP closed thanks to Chrysler (I'm guessing JEEPs have such a sticker, too?).

No mention in this lawsuit that Pottroff needed a driver, called an old friend (whose DUI convictions made him ineligible for CDL necessary to LEGALLY drive the Bozos on this Bus). Guess BP & driver settled out of court, eh?

KS Dept. of Revenue should be able to determine who owned BozoBus when it was modified AND when BP got it.

When will we hear what Briggs Auto Group offered out of court? A low mileage Purple Pinto convertible?

A HORNET from Manhattan

NOTE: My apologies if LJWorld has informed us of driver's lack of CDL. Manhattan Mercury only permits viewing of a couple of sentences of an article, without subscription. Which I cashed in when NBAF propaganda was all the front page news. You Jayhawks do know the Anthrax Mailers bosses (ret. Cols. Franz, Jaax & Jaax, USAMRIID) are behind NBAF? Or that AD Bob Krause, aka "$3 million-under-the-table-Bob," negotiated with KS Bioscience Authority for NBAF seed money AND that Col. Franz is a KBA charter member? Which way does the Kaw flow, anyway?

CHEEZIT 4 years, 10 months ago

Verizon, A T & T etc.... all made modification's to home phones. Now thousands of people are getting killed by people using these mobile phones in their cars. Does that mean these companies are getting sued? Isn't that the same reasoning???

ralphralph 4 years, 10 months ago

Lots of people at fault here ... most notably the dead plaintiff and the already-settled-and-paid-up driver. The previous owner? .... looks like a greed-driven stretch.

How embarrassing to be dumb enough to get killed standing up on a bus as it goes under a bridge, then have your family parade your stupidity through the courts trying to claim someone else may have been nearly as drunk or stupid as the dead guy.

yankeevet 4 years, 10 months ago

Victims fault; case dismissed; and Briggs should counter sue them.............

yankeevet 4 years, 10 months ago

Victims fault; case dismissed; and Briggs should counter sue them.............

listentome 4 years, 10 months ago

Ok listen to me, if people would do there home work they would of find out the law says sold as is, and when the new buyer converted the bus into the CAT TRACKER they would of had to have it inspected by the KHP office, so if they passed it then the state of Kansas put a vehicle on the road. I think people are just sue happy in America, when does this end??? I think some one should pay but stop look and listen and ask why am I here and doing this to myself and my family... let it go move on and let the man rest in piece.

jafs 4 years, 10 months ago

Well, the question is whether is was modified before it was sold or after.

Also, did anybody else notice that Briggs claims they didn't sell it, even though a sales contract was found for $1000? If they're lying about that, ...

listentome 4 years, 10 months ago

a dealer can not give a vehicle away they can sell it for a price and they have to submit a sales tax receipt to the state of kansas for the transacation. example when a company gives a vehicle to a retiring person for years of service they have to pay sales tax on the vehicle. CAN NOT GIVE A VEHICLE TO A PERSON AS A GIFT IF YOUR A DEALER OR A COMPANY. You have to pay sales tax. Briggs stated they did not convert the bus they new owner did it. get all the facts before u jump into sometime and take sides

jafs 4 years, 10 months ago

You make my point nicely, thank you.

If they can't give them away, then they lied when they said they did so - they sold it. Why would they lie about it?

The question being disputed in court is whether they modified the bus or not, so I think it's still a valid question. The fact that Briggs "stated they did not convert the bus" doesn't make that true.

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

You haven't got a clue as to what you're saying. Any dealer can give anything away, just as you can. The sales taxes will be collected by the county registering the vehicle based on book value, if no sales price is stated, and paid by the donee, just as property taxes will be the responsibility of the donee (that's the person who got the gift, if you don't know the word). There is no reason the dealership can not give away a vehicle, as there is no reason you can not give a vehicle to your grandchild or anyone else. It'd be nice if you would research your posts before trying to make people think you know of what you speak. (Oh, yeah, and you might learn basic English grammar useage.)

imastinker 4 years, 10 months ago

Or the state for making the bridge...or the manufacturer of the school bus....Or God for making the man so tall.

listentome 4 years, 10 months ago

thebigspoon call the state of Kansas and ask them if a dealer or a business can give a vehicle away. trust me I know the answer to that question bigspoon. and for the record i do know what i am talking about get a job

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

Been in the retail car business in Kansas since 1985. I do know the answer to that question...

SluggerDog 4 years, 10 months ago

They really should sue the University of Kansas for creating so much stupidity that those two obviously sucked in too much of! Rock Chalk CHICKENhawk!

chevy 4 years, 10 months ago

chevy (anonymous) replies… For all concerned. Please respect the fact that these are human beings with feelings. Mrs. Green has to live with the fact that she will never see her husband again. Her child will never meet her father. Her husband was a kind and intelligent man. Hopefully John Green's family will never read any of these blogs. No one was drunk. Both the Cat Tracker 1 & II were a giant moving accident waiting to happen throughout their existence. There were so many people at fault it is amazing. Where do you begin? As those who testified it was the history of the Cat Tracker to drive to the city limits of the opposing team. Drive into that city loud and proud screaming Wild Cat Pride. People of all levels of intelligence rode this bus both inside (which also was not safe) and on the top into these towns. All of the people involved with this bus were irresponsible from its inception including Briggs. Each and every person involved with the Cat Tracker has John Green's blood on their hands. No one has even mentioned the fact that many of the people on the bus have post traumatic syndrome, even the EMT's, etc. Have you ever trusted someone you should not have? Most likely. Have you ever blown through a yellow/red light? Lets just agree that we all have done something that was not safe at one time or another. The Cat Tracker was not safe from the beginning to its end.