New York Michael Douglas has tumor in his throat
Michael Douglas has a tumor in his throat and will undergo radiation and chemotherapy.
The Academy Award-winning actor’s treatment is scheduled to last eight weeks.
The 65-year-old Douglas says he expects to make a full recovery. He told People magazine in a statement Monday he’s “very optimistic.” His publicist’s assistant, Eli Barach, confirmed his condition to The Associated Press.
The actor is outside the United States, publicist Allen Burry said Monday, declining to give his location or where he would be treated.
Douglas and his wife, Catherine Zeta-Jones, purchased a house on the island of Bermuda nearly a decade ago, and Zeta-Jones said they planned to raise their two children there.
Douglas won an Oscar for “Wall Street” and appears this fall in the sequel, “Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.”
Publicist: Gabor in serious condition
Los Angeles — A spokesman for Zsa Zsa Gabor says the actress is in serious condition at a Los Angeles hospital and has received the last rites.
John Blanchette on Sunday described Gabor’s health situation following her surgery a day earlier as “very sad.”
Blanchette told the Los Angeles Times the 93-year-old Gabor asked for a priest and he administered the sacrament Sunday morning.
The paper reported that Gabor was being fed through a tube, but that doctors hoped to get her to eat without it Monday.
Gabor underwent surgery for the removal of clots from her upper body. She had broken her hip July 17, had hip replacement surgery and had just returned home from the hospital Wednesday.
Neil Patrick Harris and partner to be parents
New York — Neil Patrick Harris and his partner, David Burtka, will become parents of twins this fall.
A representative for Harris confirmed in an e-mail Monday that Harris made the announcement in a posting on Twitter.
The 37-year-old actor says he and Burtka are “super excited/nervous/thrilled.” He did not say whether they were adopting or using a surrogate.
Harris posted the message on Saturday. He stars in the CBS sitcom “How I Met Your Mother.”
Mel Gibson uninjured in single-car Malibu crash
Los Angeles — Mel Gibson was uninjured after crashing his sports car into a Malibu hillside, the California Highway Patrol said.
Gibson’s 2008 Maserati careened off southbound Malibu Canyon Road on Sunday evening, the agency said.
Gibson’s spokesman Alan Nierob said in an e-mail the actor-director was doing fine.
The 54-year-old Academy Award winner was alone in the car. Authorities do not suspect alcohol was involved.
Gibson cooperated with the agency and was picked up from the scene by a friend. The CHP did not release any further details, and it was unclear how much damage Gibson’s car sustained.
It’s been a rough couple of months for Gibson, who is locked in a bitter custody dispute over his infant daughter with Russian singer Oksana Grigorieva. He also remained under investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department for an alleged assault on Grigorieva earlier this year, although he has not been arrested and no charges have been filed.
Grigorieva, 40, is also under investigation after Gibson accused her of attempting to extort him. She has denied the allegation.
German singer tried over HIV allegation
Darmstadt, Germany — A German singer facing accusations that she infected a man with the virus that causes AIDS acknowledged in court Monday that she had unprotected sex despite knowing she was HIV-positive.
Nadja Benaissa, 28, a member of German girl band No Angels, is charged with grievous bodily harm for allegedly infecting a partner with the virus in 2004 and also faces charges of attempted bodily harm for having unprotected sex with two other men.
“I am sorry from my heart,” she said in a statement read by her lawyer to the Darmstadt administrative court. “No way did I want my partner to be infected.”
The man who claims Benaissa infected him says they had a three-month relationship at the beginning of 2004, and that he got tested after Benaissa’s aunt asked him in 2007 whether he was aware that the singer was HIV-positive.
Patricia Arquette files for divorce in L.A.
Los Angeles — Court records show Patricia Arquette has filed for divorce from fellow actor Thomas Jane in Los Angeles.
The “Medium” actress cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for the breakup in a divorce petition filed Friday.
It’s the second time Arquette has sought to end her marriage with Jane, who now stars in the HBO series “Hung.” Arquette moved to dismiss her previous filing in July 2009.
Arquette, an Emmy Award-winner, is seeking legal and physical custody of the couple’s 7-year-old daughter.
The couple were married in May 2006. Court filings did not indicate when they separated.