Archive for Monday, September 28, 2009

KU students form fraternity only for Christian men

September 28, 2009

A small group of Kansas University students have formed a new fraternity on the KU campus for Christian men.

Todd Dorsey, an Overland Park junior, is president of the new Beta Upsilon Chi fraternity, which is recruiting new members. The group has six officers, and has recruited a handful of others, Dorsey said. A meeting scheduled for last week was expected to draw more membership.

Dorsey said that when he came to KU originally, he was looking for a greek-style organization that reflected his Christian values, but found none, until he talked with others who had formed the new fraternity at the University of Arkansas.

The fraternity has no central house, which Dorsey said helped keep it affordable for potential members.

There are rules about alcohol use — abstention for members younger than 21 and officers during their terms. Other fraternity members of legal drinking age may consume alcohol as long as it is not in excess and as long as they aren’t wearing the letters of the fraternity.

In some places, the fraternity has faced opposition from schools. The University of Missouri and the University of Georgia have objected to the group’s discrimination on religious grounds because it only accepted Christian men.

Todd Cohen, a KU spokesman, said that the group was in accordance with all of KU’s policies. Though KU student groups have a policy against religious discrimination, Cohen said the fraternity was protected under the Constitution, which provides free association for religious groups, and under Title IX, which exempts fraternities and sororities from its gender discrimination policy.

Comments

KansasVoter 5 years, 8 months ago

"The group has registered only as a student organization, and not with KU’s Interfraternity Council. ... Todd Cohen, a KU spokesman ... said the fraternity was protected under the Constitution, which provides free association for religious groups, and under Title IX, which exempts fraternities and sororities from its gender discrimination policy."

If they're not registered as a fraternity, why would they get protection from Title IX?

Sharon Roullins 5 years, 8 months ago

Not only do they allow all black frats and sororities, but all white ones too. Funny though, KU doesn't have any all black frats or sorors do they?

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

Amazing, I don't care about this one either.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

Please, Baby Jesus, let this become a successful fraternity with a promising future and promising pledges. In your name I pray, Amen.

There,it's done. Might as well take down the article now. After all, isn't He in control?

Pffftt

cabella 5 years, 8 months ago

Who cares about this? Just the LJWorld trying to brew up trouble again.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 8 months ago

We're all bozos here at the JW forum/fraternity/sorority/bus.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

That's how I like to think of him. Little 7lb 11oz baby Jesus. Laying in the manger on all that comfortable hay. That's how I like to picture him.

"I like to picture him in a Lynard Skynard t-shirt, or in one of those shirts that looks like a tuxedo."

Does anyone know the movie?

I was just praying to be stupid. Praying doesn't work.

Sharon Roullins 5 years, 8 months ago

So let me get this straight, black frats are the only ones that participate in hazing? Not saying that it doesn't happen but others have done and are still doing. It needs to stop.....period, regardless of skin color and gender.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/05/22/national/main5033423.shtml http://www2.ljworld.com/news/1997/dec/04/ku_fraternities_facing_hazing/?more_like_this

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

"There are rules about alcohol use — abstention for members younger than 21 ..."

Those aren't just the "rules of the house," that is the law of the land. It isn't like they can say it is okay for underage people to drink.

"Other fraternity members of legal drinking age may consume alcohol as long as it is not in excess and as long as they aren’t wearing the letters of the fraternity."

Either drinking is bad, or it isn't. A policy that states you should hide your affiliations and pretend to be someone you are not? Nothing like a policy to promote hypocrisy to win over the non-believers.

I guess they have that right.

headdoctor 5 years, 8 months ago

Come on people. You are going to end up having the Christian right wing wackos over here posting their complaints that you are picking on their flock of fledglings.

The_Voice_of_Reason 5 years, 8 months ago

So concerning their rules on drinking: If a member gets tanked while wearing frat apparel do they get thrown out? Or are the members obligated to forgive them??? WWJD?

imastinker 5 years, 8 months ago

So not only do they not allow non christians, but only men!?!?!

How sexist!

somedude20 5 years, 8 months ago

donald_gilchrist says "What's next, an all-gay frat"

so I says I was getting the impression that is what this is

Amy Bartle 5 years, 8 months ago

Sigma Delta Tau is a women's sorority at KU. They are historically a Jewish sorority but their website says that they do not discriminate regardless of one's religion. Their philanthropy is a Jewish organization - so this probably draws more Jewish women to them than those of other religions. It's a shame that a fraternity has to announce that it is Christian and not part of the NPC, larger group of fraternities, in order to uphold higher standards such as abstaining from excessive drinking. I've read that fraternities have very very high insurance rates due to the number of claims that are filed as a result of alcohol abuse. Anyway, I think that the new frat is a nice alternative to some of the other ones. I just wish their message was more inclusive of other people's religious beliefs.

mickeyrat 5 years, 8 months ago

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they talk about their membership screening process, and who they define as "Christian." The various sects are often into pooh-flinging, fighting among themselves about who are "real" Christians and who are "fake." Great chaos!

bondavibe 5 years, 8 months ago

So, people with similar blood lines like to hang out together? Who would have thought. Here's an idea for their initiation. Make each member memorize the works of Alfred North Whitehead. Then, blindbold those Greeks. Then, make each inductee eat a bowl of grapes in silence, with animal house playing softly in the background. Half way through, tell them they are eating rabbit eyes! The first man who can finish the bowl with vomiting must be a true christians and wins the keys to the secret bedroom.

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 8 months ago

A think it is good place for heavily closeted homosexuals to get a little more comfortable with their sexuality.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

cb, I have no issue with drinking, and I agree that moderation is best. However, if you are to drink, even in moderation, you can't have your letters showing? That means they want you to hide who you are, or who you associate with. Don't show that Christians can possibly have a drink with the rest of the heathens. It just seems hypocritical to me.

"What WOULD Jesus Drink?"

Wine, silly.

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

"What WOULD Jesus Drink?"

Doesn't matter, as long as it's put on ice in a hole for 3 days before you take it out and uncork it.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

The_Voice_of_Reason 5 years, 8 months ago

Jonas... you don't take the bottle out of the hole, the bottle magically rises from the hole to uncork itself...

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

voice of reason: I don't know if that matters, as long as it "saves" the party.

oh man, if hell does exist I'm so going there.

Oh well, if it happens like in the Bible I would have no choice but to conscientiously rebel against that god.

The_Voice_of_Reason 5 years, 8 months ago

Jonas: "I don't know if that matters, as long as it “saves” the party." For the magical, self rising, self uncorking bottle to 'save' the aforementioned party, wouldn't this bottle need to be sacrificed on a cross or maybe a wine rack? But then what happens if the nails break the bottle that is being sacrificed upon the wine rack? If the bottle breaks can it still magically rise three days later to uncork itself and save the party...? O no, a biblical paradox ensues!!!!

leafblower 5 years, 8 months ago

During the fraternity's most sacred of rituals, it is said the chapter president is bestowed by the Almighty with the ability to turn wine INTO water. That'll keep these young minds right.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 8 months ago

Woodenfleaeater prayed to be stupid-I believe that prayer was answered in the affirmative. And V.O.R., by your last comment, did you pray the same thing???

BigPrune 5 years, 8 months ago

When I was younger a friend and I rushed the ZBT house and it was always a great party with lots of gorgeous women. Naive as I was, it wasn't until they were accepting pledges that I found out they were a Jewish frat house. I sincerely think they would've accepted me because of my grades, but me not the right religion, but that's okay, it made me feel like a shmuck I even rushed the house. My friend was Jewish and he got in - hell, he thought I was a Jew too!

The_Voice_of_Reason 5 years, 8 months ago

Cheesehead: you had to follow the story... please see previous posts.

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 8 months ago

look out .... drinking ..... women....... ( here comes baby Jesus)

maxcrabb 5 years, 8 months ago

Marion, I would love a Muslim frat! The more diversity in the greek community, the better. Blur the lines of race and religion. Maybe then tolerance and respect between fellow human beings will be more commonplace on campus. I doubt it would happen overnight, but it's a start.

And on a side note, the old bait and trap not working so well these days...

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 8 months ago

maxcrabb, I would love a Muslim frat!

WHOA , dude the rednecks in lawrence are not ready for a muslim frat, they are barely able to handle the presence of black individuals in the community

maxcrabb 5 years, 8 months ago

Well, Alex. That certainly explains the company you keep!

Marion, all I can think about is it's better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. But for you, it's better to be thought an old curmudgeon than to post and provide the evidence.