Archive for Saturday, September 26, 2009

Delivery driver robbed at gunpoint

Money, personal property taken

September 26, 2009

A Jimmy John’s delivery driver was robbed at gunpoint in the Oread Neighborhood early Saturday morning.

Around 3:20 a.m., the driver stopped to deliver a sandwich order to a home in the 900 block of Ohio.

The person who ordered the food was waiting for the driver on the porch of the house.

After a successful transaction, the driver turned to leave and was accosted by the customer, who was armed with an unknown kind of firearm, according to Lawrence Police Sgt. Ted Bordman.

The driver was not injured during the incident but did have an undetermined amount of money taken along with personal belongings.

The suspect was described as a 5-foot-9 man with an athletic build, who was wearing a dark-colored hooded sweatshirt with the hood up and baggy pants. The driver reported it had been too dark to determine the race of the suspect.

The suspect was last seen running south from the residence and has not been apprehended, according to Bordman.

Anyone with information should call the Lawrence Crime Stoppers hot line at 785-843-TIPS (8477).

Comments

beatrice 4 years, 6 months ago

AreU: "I would say that if i were being robbed by someone and they spoke to me, i could pretty quickly determine if they were black, white, hispanic or whatever. Each scumbag in each race definitely has a telltale way of speaking. it's not racist, it's realist."

No, its not realist, it is racist.

Making a determination about someone's race based on mannerisms, speech patterns, or clothing is racist. Are you saying that a white or black man from Texas won't sound more like other Texans than he would a white or black man from Boston? Again, as I didn't get a response on the mannerisms from 50yearold, tell me, exactly what speech patterns do Michael Steele, Flavor Flav, and Bill Cosby share? Or, if you are saying it is just the criminal element, what speech patterns do "Scooter" Libby, Charles Manson, and Bernard Madoff share?

Marion Lynn 4 years, 6 months ago

Businesses cannot prevent empolyees from exercising their civil rights, including CCW if permitted by law in the state in question.

This whole business of firing folks for protecting themselves is biosolids and someone needs to sue the applicable companies.

"Liberal" scardey cats who are willing ot allow their delivery people to face very real threats of deadly force with no way to defend themselves.

Beer Guy 4 years, 6 months ago

Oh and as for tracing the call, if the thug was smart its impossible to find him. Its the perfect crime. First of all, restaurants that deliver do not except untraceable calls. Try it sometime, hit *69 before dialing the number, you'll get an error message and be asked to call back using a traceable line. But what a lot of people do is ask to use a strangers phone at the bar or a party or even pay phones. I've had alot of dead unknown deliveries because of this.

Beer Guy 4 years, 6 months ago

You people don't know anything about delivers. The restaurants are dead from 12am - 2am, they make up for it ten fold at the 2am-3am bar rush when everyone is going home and hungry, I've had upwards of $500 on me at a time during the busy nights, I'm sure the thug walked away with enough money to make him want to do it again. Make restaurants close at 12am? I thought I lived in a capitalist country. And delivery drivers don't make crap, of the $500 I would get less then %10 is tips, after gas, oil, tires, etc, I would make crap, that's why I don't do it anymore. Please tip your delivery drivers fairly!!!!!

igby 4 years, 6 months ago

The street lighting from 9th to 14th on Ohio street have been reduced in the past few years. 15 years ago it was lit fairly well. The single family ONA home owners complained about the brightness and since then the street lights have been put on timers and suddenly go out leaving dark zones for about a half a block. These dark zones are in the worst spots for these strong arm robberies. They just sit in a car down the street and wait for the right person to walk by and pounce on them and the driver picks them up as they circle the block.

These tall Victorian houses would be ideal for some night vision spy cameras along Ohio street, to catch all the crime that happens there. Vandals, auto burglars, robbery, sexual batteries, street brawls and even home invasions have happened there just in the last few years. Roaming bands of drunks have caused unbelievable property damage and also, paint taggers.

May be the city would help fund some cameras if the property owners would allow them to install them under the gables of these houses. They could record and download to a remote computer for the police to access when crimes are being investigated.

It's a war zone on Ohio almost every night of the week as far back as I can remember.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

"dam flashlight!!!"

you're absolutely right

you don't even need to hit the person with it, just drop that 4 D-cell Maglite on their toe..take my word for it!

(Nail still has 3/4 of the way to grow back in from 7 mths ago, and the break still hurts like a SOB at times!, lol)

Those things are deadly. I don't know why they think they need tasers! Just throw the damn flashlight at 'em. :)

beatrice 4 years, 6 months ago

I can tell if it is a Camaro just by its mannerisms.

jonas_opines 4 years, 6 months ago

"Tumbilweed, If you were a policeman and were looking for a stolen Camero don't you think it would be a help to know what color it was? Or would you just stop all Cameros passing by?"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Awesome!! I love the threads about crime in town.

More appropriate analogy: 50yrresident says: tell me if the car is a camaro or not, so I can stop all the camaros passing by! Eventually we'll get the right one.

/what the hell, let's just Assume that the car is a Camaro.
//from Topeka

gsxr600 4 years, 6 months ago

How can you be 3ft from someone and not determine their race? Even with a hood on and terrible lighting....

I think it's time to set up a curfew on Ohio. Martial law. Shoot on site. Is this rational? Meh.

igby 4 years, 6 months ago

Something is not right about this!

If the driver did make the transaction with the suspected hoodie-baggy fathomed thug, he could of at least of noticed if he was black or white.

The drivers lying, he faked it and took the money!

jackbinkelman 4 years, 6 months ago

Drivers should carry NO cash. Pay with charge/debit over the phone. If the customer can't manage that... probably shouldn't be ordering out, too big a risk otherwise.

themiddlechild 4 years, 6 months ago

bigmike (Anonymous) says… How about instead of a gun they atleast had a dam flashlight!!!

Flashlight is a good idea, but how about leaving the porch light on when you place delivery orders, I have delivered to so many people who doesn't even bother to leave the porch light on.

hillbilly_jim 4 years, 6 months ago

beatrice, I too would like to know that. And, I might add, you forgot to mention Mexicans. I would like to know the African Americans, Mexicans, Asians, Jews and whomever else I hang around are truely who they are, and not just imposters trying to impose another cultures mannerisims upon themselves.

beatrice 4 years, 6 months ago

50, you wrote that you could tell someone's race by their mannerisms. That isn't even close to the same thing as saying that knowing the race of a criminal is an important tool in fighting crime. Those two things are miles apart.

So I ask you, what mannerisms are particular to different races? How do Whites "act" that determine their race? How about Asians? Blacks? Please, do explain yourself further.

50YearResident 4 years, 6 months ago

"Stereotyping races is ugly, stupid, and useless." I say: You forgot to mention, it is a crime fighting tool, and very effective one I might add. As an additional comment I have not stereotyped any one's race, have you?

beatrice 4 years, 6 months ago

50yrold: "I can tell the race of a person without seeing them. There are many mannerisms each race displays."

Stereotype much? That might be one of the silliest things I've ever read on these boards.

Now tell me, what mannerisms does someone like Michael Steele have that would indicate his race in a dark environment? Are those the same mannerisms he might share with Clarence Thomas, Flavor Flav, and Bill Cosby? I mean, they all act alike, especially while in a dark environment, right? Dana Carvey, Eminem, and Cal Thomas all act alike as well, I guess.

In other words, 50yrold, I guarantee you that for every "mannerism" you indicate, I can point to people of multiple races who display such behavior. Stereotyping races is ugly, stupid, and useless.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

The police don't need to be everywhere at once. they need to be in the Ohio Street area during dark hours. and probably some good undercover work dressing officers up as delivery drivers and single girls.

hillbilly_jim 4 years, 6 months ago

Has anyone checked Tyshawn's facebook page recently? If he did it, he would be bragging about it.

Scott Winer 4 years, 6 months ago

"an undetermined amount of money taken along with personal belongings" "dark-colored hooded sweatshirt" "too dark to determine the race of the suspect"

Awfully vague, don't you think? Before we start giving this guy too much credit for an inside job, how about the possibility that like many sandwich shop drivers I've ever known in the area, this dude was quite possibly high. It might explain why the details get a little fuzzy. And what "personal belongings" are we talking about? No mention of an iPod or something that he might reasonably have had in his car. Perhaps the guy ran off with the money and his weed.

Like anyone investigating this case, I think we should at least consider all possibilities.

svenway_park 4 years, 6 months ago

Marion Lynn 4 years, 6 months ago

alm77 (Anonymous) says…

Even if it wasn't his address someone called it in. Don't they have caller ID?"

Marion writes:

Prepaid cell phones are not traceable.

alm77 4 years, 6 months ago

Even if it wasn't his address someone called it in. Don't they have caller ID?

pizzapete 4 years, 6 months ago

Ohio St. seems to be having lots of problems lately. I remember leaving a friends house on Ohio a couple years ago late at night and being asked for cigarettes by several guys. I said I did not smoke and they started calling me names and were acting like they were going to beat me up for not having cigarettes for them. Police need to make a presence there for sure, especially at night. There seems to be a bad element hanging around in that area lately

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

Did they ever catch the perps that robbed the pizza guy?

bigmike 4 years, 6 months ago

If they cut off delivery times at 1am the crooks would just adapt and start robbing at 12:30am. How about instead of a gun they atleast had a dam flashlight!!!

Joe Hyde 4 years, 6 months ago

"srj" makes an interesting point. It's admirable that Jimmy Johns makes deliveries at such very early hours of the morning. This is a college town, and after partying late on Friday night into Saturday morning there'll always be young people who don't have transportation, or else are still too hung over (or whatever) to drive, but who are hungry and would rather not wait until the usual breakfast time for something good to eat.

But when something like this armed robbery happens at almost 3:30 in the morning, it makes you wonder how long it'll be before a delivery person gets severely injured or even killed. So many violent incidents of all types are happening in Lawrence during that early morning time frame.

Perhaps the owners/managers of all the delivery-type food establishments in town should meet and consider jointly agreeing to institute a definite cut-off time for home deliveries. A much earlier time -- say, 1:00 AM -- past which time the establishments will not deliver food to anyone's door.

These delivery people are brave folks going in harm's way when they roll the streets at night. It's good that they want to help feed us. It's no good that, by doing so, they themselves risk getting fed to the sharks.

50YearResident 4 years, 6 months ago

Tumbilweed, If you were a policeman and were looking for a stolen Camero don't you think it would be a help to know what color it was? Or would you just stop all Cameros passing by? Using your theory all thugs commiting robberies could just be describbed to the Police as "robbers". Now go find them, quick!

tumbilweed 4 years, 6 months ago

Please tell me why knowing the race is important.

To prove the stereotypes you carry in your head?

50YearResident 4 years, 6 months ago

"The suspect was described as a man about 5'9" with an athletic build. The suspect was wearing a dark-colored hooded sweatshirt with the hood up and baggy pants. The driver reported it had been too dark to determine the race of the suspect."

I can tell the race of a person without seeing them. There are many mannerisms each race displays. Making a money exchange in a dark area with a stranger would reveal their race. If you can tell the person has an athletic build under a hooded sweat shirt and is 5' 10" tall, then you were close enough to determine race. Red alert signals should have made this delivery man aware he was about to get robbed. People need to be alert to potential trouble. Of course, there is always the possibility that in "inside jobs", very little information would be given to the police and race would be an unknown along with other vague identification features such as a hood pulled up over the perp's head and baggy pants.

Kawatchi 4 years, 6 months ago

Seriously, if you are going to commit armed robbery, are you really willing to do time for whatever cash a freaking Jimmy John's driver is carrying around? What did the guy make off with? Twenty bucks?

Starlight 4 years, 6 months ago

I've had it. It's open season on these punks.

budtugly 4 years, 6 months ago

"After a successful transaction without incident, the driver turned to leave and was accosted by the customer, who was armed with an unknown kind of firearm." CUSTOMER..I guess I am missing something here.

compmd 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't think concealed carry is a factor here. If you can afford the training, the permit, and a good quality weapon, odds are you're making more money than a delivery driver.

Alabamastreet 4 years, 6 months ago

Somebody in Topeka has a Jimmy John's wrapper in his back seat. Start the search now.

rcr 4 years, 6 months ago

Wow, JJ's deliver at 3AM. I'll need to remember that one.

nobody1793 4 years, 6 months ago

Are there any statistics that robberies have gone up or down (or statistically unchanged) since concealed carry was enacted? Anecdotally at least, I'm not seeing it as a deterrent.

ironhorse66 4 years, 6 months ago

guess he wasn't freaky fast enough? glad no one was injured.

bliddel 4 years, 6 months ago

The sad reality is that crimes like this will continue to happen. Police cannot be everywhere all the time. That's why we need low-cost Concealed Carry for law abiding citizens. It is also why you should never ever patronize Pizza Hut or Dominoes Pizza. These companies have a history of firing all employees who defends themselves against an armed attacker. IMHO, Pizza Hut policy makes crimes like this all the more common. This twisted policy may make it somewhat safer for the criminals to commit crimes, but makes the world a much more dangerous place for everyone else, especially delivery drivers.

persevering_gal 4 years, 6 months ago

Danimal, I was thinking the exact same thing! Unless they gave the deliverer a different address and just sat outside a house that didn't belong to them.

Danimal 4 years, 6 months ago

Wait, if the guy called Jimmy Johns and gave them his address shouldn't this be a fairly open and shut case?

Steve Jacob 4 years, 6 months ago

Do places like Jimmy John's really want to put there employees in danger by making them deliver that late at night? Isn't say 1AM late enough?

bigdave 4 years, 6 months ago

whats with Ohio street dam!!!!!

zettapixel 4 years, 6 months ago

You thugs can rob each other all you want... but DO NOT go robbing my Jimmy John's!