Archive for Thursday, September 24, 2009

Apologies issued

Taylor says he’s embarrassed for role in fights

Kansas basketball players, from left, Sherron Collins, Cole Aldrich and Tyshawn Taylor address the media about recent incidents between the basketball and football teams. The players apologized on Thursday at Wagnon Student Athletic Center.

September 24, 2009, 5:16 p.m. Updated September 25, 2009, 12:00 a.m.

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self addresses the recent incidents regarding the basketball and football teams

KU coach Bill Self addresses the recent incidents regarding the KU men's basketball and football teams.

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU basketball players Tyshawn Taylor, Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich talk about the recent incidents between the KU basketball and football teams.

Wearing a splint on his thumb and heavy wrap on his injured left hand, a contrite Tyshawn Taylor met the media Thursday afternoon in Wagnon Student Athlete Center.

“I am embarrassed about the situation. It’s a situation none of us should have gotten ourselves into,” Taylor, Kansas University’s sophomore basketball guard from Hoboken, N.J., said of his role in Tuesday/Wednesday scraps between KU basketball and football players that left him with a dislocated left thumb.

“We embarrassed our campus, our university, our team, both teams, and it’s a situation that shouldn’t have happened. Looking back at it, I feel like it was stupid and I wish I could take it back.”

Nine-and-a-half hours after taking part in the first 6 a.m. Boot Camp conditioning session of the preseason — one set up as a form of punishment for this week’s off-the-court situations — Taylor, senior Sherron Collins and junior Cole Aldrich on Thursday repeatedly apologized for the actions of the hoops and football teams.

“It was a group of individuals that let something small build up,” Taylor said. He didn’t go into specifics of what caused Tuesday night’s fight in front of the Burge Union or Wednesday morning’s incident by Wescoe and Budig halls. Sources have said it involved a dispute over a woman who used to date an athlete from one of the teams and now dates a player from the other team. “If we’d eliminated the first small thing that happened, the big thing wouldn’t have happened.”

Taylor also apologized for posting inappropriate song lyrics on his Facebook page.

“I felt I made some comments I shouldn’t have made. I didn’t have intentions of it being bad,” Taylor said. “To be honest, I didn’t want this situation to escalate to what it got to. I wish we could have nipped it in the bud from the beginning and the situation a couple days ago would not have happened.”

Collins said a Wednesday afternoon meeting between the football and basketball teams, which was headed by athletic director Lew Perkins, has resulted in the end of the feud.

“We squashed everything. We got to talk it out,” Collins said. “We shook hands and let everything go.”

It’s too bad, Collins stated, that the undisclosed disagreement resulted in fisticuffs in which Taylor was injured.

“I think for both sides it’s a situation that could have been resolved just by talking,” Collins said. “We’ve got to be grown men. Grown men don’t do stupid things, don’t let ego get in front. We have to move on and continue to support each other. We’ll be at the football game Saturday.”

Coach Bill Self showed how he felt about the situation by ordering his players into the gym for early-morning sprints.

“We had a semblance of Boot Camp today and will start it officially on Monday,” Self told the Journal-World early Thursday afternoon, noting the players would report again at 6 a.m. today.

He would not come right out and say the extra Boot Camp sessions were disciplinary measures against his squad. The inference was obviously there, however.

“I’ve been on the road recruiting a lot and have not had a chance to spend any time with the guys of late,” Self said. “I was able to spend some time with them today.”

Later in the day, like his players, he also met a pack of media members. He said he would deal with the spat with the football team in-house. He did not report any suspensions, but has not ruled them out.

“I will not say what will transpire and what will not transpire. I will tell you this: We are taking it very seriously,” Self said, noting all of his disciplinary measures have been kept in-house in his coaching career.

Of the incidents between the teams, Self said: “We have shed a negative light on a great start to a school year on a chancellor who is just getting her feet wet on the job. To me that’s totally embarrassing, especially at a place that they (players) all love attending. They are certainly disappointed they are a part of doing that. It’s very disturbing to me.”

He had no problem with extensive media coverage of the incidents, a lot of it involving Taylor, who Self stressed is “one of the best kids I’ve ever coached.”

“It’s been portrayed to be a big situation. It is. Nobody is taking that away,” Self said. “We’re talking about a select few (individuals) as opposed to handfuls. Unfortunately, a select few shed a negative light on what I consider to be a pretty clean and classy basketball program.

“I would say to our fan base, I am sorry this occurred. We will have problems in the future. There will be something that comes up in the future that we don’t like dealing with. That is the way it is with every program. You can’t say everything is bullet proof. I do think people should be pretty confident this will be addressed in a very strict manner.”

Facebook talk

Self said a member of his staff monitors Facebook pages. “The ultimate responsibility is for them (players) to project the image they need to project. We will monitor it closer. The responsibility also falls on their shoulders, not just people following them around to make sure they do things right."

Injury update

Taylor is expected to miss three to four weeks with his dislocated thumb.

“I’ve got to do a couple more checkups and see how things progress,” Taylor said of an exact time frame.

“We are hoping he can run out of the tunnel with us and do all the dances and all the other stuff,” Collins said of the Oct. 16 Late Night.

Recruiting

Harrison Barnes, a 6-8 senior forward from Ames (Iowa) High, will make an official recruiting visit to KU for the Oct. 16 Late Night in the Phog. He will visit Oklahoma (Oct. 2-3), UCLA (Oct. 9-10) and Duke (Oct. 23-24). He already has visited North Carolina and will make an unofficial trip to Iowa State on Nov. 6-7.

Comments

RogueThrill 5 years, 10 months ago

Good on you young man. Now, you should just try and learn from it or effectively fake it until you are making some bank.

Graczyk 5 years, 10 months ago

I like your practicality, RogueThrill.

fatheadff 5 years, 10 months ago

So now that he admitted it what will the coaches do about it. Oh that's right nothing because he is considered one of KU's special players. Lol. If it was anyone else they would throw the book at them.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 10 months ago

I feel lessons are best learned when there are consequences. You learn that bad behavior has consequences. I expect none from the school or the coaches.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 10 months ago

OK, run 6 laps around the court and say 8 Hail Marys. Yur good to go.

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

"If it was anyone else they would throw the book at them."

Right. All those people in Lawrence who get in fights are just clogging up our judicial system, aren't they.

Fights happen every day in Lawrence, between college kids being dumb. You don't hear about it, and not a damned thing happens to probably 90% of them unless someone actually gets hurt seriously.

beachbumin 5 years, 10 months ago

How about an apology for the Facebook postings. Those were more embarrassing than his role in the fights.

vilduhellerblogspotcom 5 years, 10 months ago

the question is:

if my friends and i, lets call us the "greasers" were to get into two physical altercations with tyshawn taylor and the men's basketball team, would the outcome be the same? just apologies?

BorderBattleKU21 5 years, 10 months ago

On Tuesday afternoon at 6:30, when I was coming back from the library, I saw Sherron Collins and a buddy in the parkinging lot between Allen Fieldhouse and the Student Rec Center. If the time is accuarate then maybe he and his buddy weren't in the original fight.

momsy 5 years, 10 months ago

Its always refreshing to come back to an LJWorld comment thread after not reading one in a while, and see Marion's bigoted barf on here. Way to be consistent!

mom_of_three 5 years, 10 months ago

It's time to move on people. story old and wasn't much of one to begin with.

Rickyonealku 5 years, 10 months ago

So....no football players or comments from the Kansas Football team???? why not???

rcr 5 years, 10 months ago

Good to see the basketball team is stepping up and making public apologies for their stupid actions.

What about the football team? Have we heard anything from them?

dani36921 5 years, 10 months ago

"jonas_opines (Anonymous) says…

“If it was anyone else they would throw the book at them.”

The only reason you are hearing about this is Because he's an athlete. So why don't you drop the idea that he's getting positive treatment because of his status. The way I see it, it's just the opposite."

Wrong. Participating in athletics comes with a stricter protocol that is clearly understood by both fans AND players. I have no sympathy. It is obvious that if he plays for any big time athletic team he has to watch what he does. If you can't pay the price, leave.

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

Could you kindly point out how what you just posted in any way reverses what I posted above? It seems like we said pretty much the same thing.

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

Umm. . . one post up, before the troll wandered out into the daylight.

flamingoroad 5 years, 10 months ago

Let's move on to something else. This is getting old. They got their little hands slapped, it's been all over the news, everyone's embarrassed about the stupidity of it all. Move on!!

Matt Warman 5 years, 10 months ago

I agree with Mom of three and have felt this way all along. The whole thing is a big yawn.

BlackVelvet 5 years, 10 months ago

Cheeseburger, are you implying there might be a....dare I say it....double standard???

fabian_zimbabwe 5 years, 10 months ago

Spot on, cheeseburger. Years ago, I had the very same conversation with three of my graduate school colleagues (I'm Caucasian, they were African-American). Each indicated in no uncertain terms that they found the term disgusting and detrimental to social progress, no matter who is using it with whom. Bottom line: There is NEVER an acceptable use of the n-word, and to state otherwise is complete hypocrisy.

ralphralph 5 years, 10 months ago

Have the KU Police apologized for refusing to do their job? KU Police = Lew's Lapdogs.

afraidnot 5 years, 10 months ago

I see they didn't quote the comment I saw Self make on the news last time... how it isn't any of our business what the punishment is.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 10 months ago

I find it humorous that his choice of vocabulary goes from ebonics on his facebook page, while bragging about the fight, to articulate, thoughtful presentation when confronted on the subject. It goes from him bragging and being proud to him being apologetic, ashamed and embarrassed.

Matt Warman 5 years, 10 months ago

I heard the fight was just like the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

cabella 5 years, 10 months ago

Cole looks PISSED! and whos the mousey guy in the foreground with the backwards cap and tweener stash?

beawolf 5 years, 10 months ago

berrypenders must be the most idiotic poster on these forums. Berry, seek help...seriously.

onehawkoneshock 5 years, 10 months ago

I hope someone in the athletic department realizes that trotting these three in front of the cameras doesn't make everything all right. Athletes on this campus are treated like Gods and for them to have such blatant disrespect for the University and their fellow students is unexcusable. The entire Jayhawk Nation has had to suffer embarrasment because they wanted to act like fools. Their fellow students are fed up with these prima donnas. There have to be consequences for those involved. I'm sure there will be on recruiting trips. Coach will have to explain the situation to parents of recruits. The athletic department can't just sweep this under the rug.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, Cole is like "I'm bout to mug YOU, reporter dude".

SiriusBlue 5 years, 10 months ago

Awww, they apologized for doing something illegal! Good Wittle Basketball players! Seriously? Anyone buy this? They got their hands slapped. For pushing someone down stairs. That's assault, plain and simple. But since they're basketball players, we can't be upset with them, because then we're anti-KU.
I swear, it's exactly like the McCarthy era! Say something against a player and you're blacklisted as immature or anti-KU! Those idiots on both teams deserve to be kicked off their teams. Let's see how well they do in the real world.

alamohawk 5 years, 10 months ago

cheeseburger (Anonymous) says…

I guess I would like to see the African-American community come together and decide once and for all if the n-word is objectionable or not. I've always heard and been told that it is, but to listen to Tyshawn and others tell it, I'm not so sure. It almost sounds like it is OK for African-Americans to say it, but it is not OK for the Caucasians to say it. If that is the case, wouldn't that be discriminatory at best, and racist at worst?

MichaelJ (Anonymous) says…

Cheeseburger, are you implying there might be a….dare I say it….double standard???

Cheeseburger and MichaelJ. For your information the NAACP buried the n-word on June 20, 2007. However there are still ignorant African-Americans and Caucasians that still use the word. Where is the double standard? Are you suggesting that just because Tyshawn used a word that a majority of Americans find offensive that the two of you should be able to call blacks the n-word?

Danimal 5 years, 10 months ago

It disgusts me that there are no real consequences for their actions. They had to run some sprints? Boohoo. Any of us would be looking at a little jail time or some community service/probation for causing an incident of this severity and scale. And all of it over some girl, what is this 6th grade? I still think suspensions should be handed out. Someone needs to teach these grown men that this is real life and their are real consequences for their actions.

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

"I swear, it's exactly like the McCarthy era!"

Best line so far!

/seriously, just looking at that line is making me cackle

JHawkInLA 5 years, 10 months ago

This gives an entirely new meaning to the song, "Fighting Jayhawk."

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

"Any of us would be looking at a little jail time or some community service/probation for causing an incident of this severity and scale."

And why, for that matter, do so very few people get a glimmer that maybe, just. . . . maybe, the newspaper might have played with the actual situation a little to make it seem more sensational?

I mean no, not the LJWorld. Never a history of (every day, practically) leaving out information or using inflammatory headlines that have little relevence to the actual content of the article. That never happens (every day, practically).

/fight of 100 people --> one dislocated thumb. Yeah, that makes sense.

gsxr600 5 years, 10 months ago

JeremiahCreswell 5 years, 10 months ago

I tried to tell those football players that they should let me hang with them. I know just how to handle those basketball players when something starts up.

sammiesays 5 years, 10 months ago

Why is KUPD not doing their job? You have at least one individual involved that has confessed to being involved. Do your job KUPD? This is just embarrassing. Go out and do some investigating because there were many witnesses.....

ProfessorSeamus 5 years, 10 months ago

Marion states: i still don't know what a “tyshawn” is

I have not had a chance to look this up, so if someone has the time they may want to check into it, but I believe it roughly translates as:

"At least my parents gave me a boy's name, Marion"

Hilary Morton 5 years, 10 months ago

I guess I'm having trouble understanding how this involved a lot of you guys posting. What do they owe YOU to help YOU move on?

Really not that big of a deal.

puddleglum 5 years, 10 months ago

yo, the hall of fame can wait. we need KSU to stop losing to division14 teams.

Henry Salmans 5 years, 10 months ago

I was extremely impressed by Coach Bill Self's comments and how he is handling the situation. His comments reflect the best of the leadership I experienced as an active duty Marine. I remain proud of KU and am glad of the proactive role Coach Self is taking. I hope the men under his leadership will be inculcated by the values he articulates. There is something to learn from this and perhaps this is an opportunity for students of KU and the professors to discuss several topics to include conflict resolution, racial slurs, exposure on social mediums, etc... With Utmost Respect ~ Semper Fi, Hank

Christine Anderson 5 years, 10 months ago

I love you guys who are putting Marion in her, I mean his place! ROFLOL.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

Devil Dog. Very well said and thank you for your service. If anyone understands leadership, it is a Marine. The most articulate post of the day.

shepdog 5 years, 10 months ago

ACCORDING TO POLICE IT'S LIKE THE TREE FALLING IN THE WOODS. IF NO ONE IS THERE TO SEE IT DID IT REALLY HAPPEN?

supernik 5 years, 10 months ago

ProfessorSeamus says…

Marion states: i still don't know what a “tyshawn” is

“At least my parents gave me a boy's name, Marion”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! sorry i've got nothing more to add.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 5 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for giving other programs a leg up in recruiting. Idiots. Just when we get both programs built up this twits have made it a national laughingstock.

Steffie Sissoko 5 years, 10 months ago

Marion you suck on so many levels. You are about the most idiotic person with the most boring comments ever. What is a Marion? I will tell you a couch potato that has nothing better to do but talk about people she knows nothing about.

dontcallmedan 5 years, 10 months ago

If I had a dollar for every one of Marion's comments, I'd have $17,719.

camper 5 years, 10 months ago

I see this as a youthful mistsake. Something we've all done. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. The public scrutiny and hopefully the extra wind sprints will do good, and this situation could become positive. Lets not be too quick to judge, we've all done things we've regretted,

sustainabilitysister 5 years, 10 months ago

I agree this is a youthful mistake but the players need to realize what responsibilities they have when they sign on to becoming a player at the University of Kansas. Unfortunately this story made CNN headlines online today. DRATS

gram77 5 years, 10 months ago

You would think since Sherron just got out of trouble last spring he would be keeping a low profile. But no, he's right in the middle of trouble again. Doesn't seem like he learned anything. Bill Self should have punished him and maybe he would have learned something. He knows he can do whatever and not be punished just like the rest of the athletes. Why should Cole have to apologize when he wasn't even there? Make the thug idiots who were fighting over the trashy jersey chaser apologize.