Archive for Wednesday, September 23, 2009

KU sports teams’ apparent feud spurs 2nd brawl

Fights Tuesday, Wednesday, lead to meetings, joint statement

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor defends Dayton guard Marcus Johnson's shot during the first half Sunday, March 22, 2009 at the Metrodome in Minneapolis.

September 23, 2009, 10:30 a.m. Updated September 24, 2009, 12:00 a.m.

On the street

Do you think the parties involved in the recent athletic confrontations should be disciplined by the university?

I think they should be disciplined by the teams … they’re not being responsible on the campus grounds.

More responses

Altercation between KU athletes

Kansas coach Bill Self talks with the media on Thursday following incidents between KU basketball and football players earlier in the week.

An apparent feud between members of the Kansas University men’s basketball and football teams spilled over into the day Wednesday, when a second altercation between the groups was reported on campus.

Several KU students said they witnessed a fight between about a dozen players shortly before 10 a.m., near Budig and Wescoe halls. Witnesses said the incident may have been caused after a player was shoved down a flight of concrete stairs in the area.

“I just heard a bunch of people yelling and saw a bunch of basketball players and football players,” said Shannon Jobe, a KU sophomore from Shawnee, who witnessed the altercation.

“Basketball team kind of walked off,” said Harrison Hems, a KU senior from California, who also witnessed the incident. “I don’t think they wanted to get in another fight.”

The altercation came fewer than 18 hours after an altercation that sent KU basketball player Tyshawn Taylor to the hospital with a dislocated left thumb, an injury that’s expected to keep the sophomore guard out for three to four weeks. The basketball season begins with the Oct. 16 Late Night in the Phog.

New details about that incident, which occurred in front of the Burge Union, became available Wednesday morning.

According to KU police reports, the Tuesday night fight involved as many as 100 people.

A witness said “it appeared members of the KU football and basketball team had been ‘baiting’ each other, and it had escalated into taunting and shouting and then fighting,” according to a police report.

Witnesses said the fight broke up when they heard approaching police sirens. Campus police officers were unable to ascertain who the victims were and who the perpetrators were in Tuesday night’s fight.

“We’re pretty sure an incident occurred, but so far we don’t have anyone who’s come forward to make a police report,” said Capt. Schuyler Bailey, KU Public Safety Office spokesman. Bailey said another fight reported about 10:25 p.m. Tuesday at Jayhawker Towers was unrelated.

KU reaction

Wednesday morning, Athletic Director Lew Perkins also issued a statement about the Tuesday night incident.

“I am disappointed that some of our student-athletes put themselves in this position, and it’s something that I am taking very seriously.”

Perkins said head coaches Bill Self and Mark Mangino are working together to address the situation internally.

“I am confident that they will handle the situation appropriately,” Perkins said.

Wednesday afternoon, Perkins met with the KU football and men’s basketball teams. After that meeting, selected members of the teams released a statement.

KU Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little released this statement at 5 p.m. Wednesday: “I have consulted with Lew Perkins and share his disappointment regarding the recent incidents involving a small number of our student athletes. They need to realize their profiles make them representatives of the university off the court and field, as well as on it, and that KU has high expectations for its students.

“I appreciate the quick response by the athletic director and university staff and the strong statement from the teams’ leaders.”

Police said more information could be released later about Wednesday morning’s incident, which led to numerous basketball players being escorted from the KU campus by men’s assistant basketball coach Joe Dooley.

However, early Wednesday afternoon, Bailey said there likely would be no police report issued on the morning incident.

“We don’t write a lot of reports on things that aren’t going on when we get there,” Bailey said, indicating police saw no fighting between students when they arrived near Budig and Wescoe Halls.

“No one has come forward saying, ‘I want to make a report. I was a victim of a crime.’ Until that happens, we can’t initiate an investigation.”

He was asked if this is a KU athletic department matter right now, rather than a police matter.

“Right now, I believe it is (a KU matter). Unless someone comes forward and tells us they want to make a police report.”

He was asked if he was “concerned” that the two incidents might escalate into more.

“We are hoping that they kind of get themselves together and act like adults like they are supposed to and this is done,” Bailey said. “We are hoping this is done.”

In-house fighting

One former KU football player, who did not wish to be identified, theorized that indeed the in-house fighting may be over.

“Now that the coaches are involved and Lew Perkins is involved and it’s on ESPN … I think both parties are embarrassed. I think they realize it reflects on the kind of character they have,” the former KU player said.

This player — who still has many friends on the football team — supported a report by the Journal-World’s Tom Keegan, who wrote in Wednesday’s Journal-World that Tuesday’s scrap reportedly involved a dispute over a woman who used to date an athlete from one team and now dates one from another.

“It all starts with a female but dates back to last semester,” the former football player said. “It’s something that (originally) happened at a bar. One of the basketball players got into it with a football player (at the bar) and it came back to the Towers parking lot. It got broken up but it has been an ongoing feud. I know people who go to a junior college and it’s the same way there between football and basketball. It’s an ego thing. Hopefully this will be it, and the feud is over.”

Comments

Steve Tramba 5 years, 9 months ago

Time for HCBS to get off the recruiting trip NOW... and meet with HCMM, Lew, & the Chancellor ASAP. This is a NATIONAL embarrassment to our university. I am tired of reading about this nonsense!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm SHOCKED that after what happened yesterday, our student athletes haven't taken the time to THINK about the impact of yesterday's incident.

Bench everyone involved. If it costs us a game, so be it. At the end of the season when we didn't get into a bowl, they'll have no one but themselves to blame.

tvf2k 5 years, 9 months ago

Boys will be boys. Mete out the justice when the facts are in.

Graczyk 5 years, 9 months ago

I know the football team's non-conference schedule is soft, but scheduling the basketball team is pretty weak.

rbs 5 years, 9 months ago

seriously?!? . . . well, we thought it was going to be a good year for KU men's athletics. . . hope they don't self-destruct. Rock Chalk.

onetime97 5 years, 9 months ago

Looks like all the national sports news websites are picking this up....have a look

gsxr600 5 years, 9 months ago

Well this story is now on the main page of the biggest sports network in the world, also with great N-word commentary from Ty's Facebook page. Good job, team!

Steve Bunch 5 years, 9 months ago

Can anyone provide a translation of Taylor's Facebook posts?

cntrygrl 5 years, 9 months ago

What could these idiots have possibly been fighting about?!?!

"We're better!" "No, we're better!" "Well, we're bigger!" "We're faster!" "You're ugly!" "No, you're ugly!"

Good Lord....

kusp8 5 years, 9 months ago

Graczyk Posted 11:02 a.m., September 23, 2009 Suggest removal

Hahahahahahah. Thanks for the laugh Graczyk!

Stuart Evans 5 years, 9 months ago

with this thug-life mentality, maybe we should cross reference these guys to some of the robberies & hold ups we've been experiencing.

forget Taylor, he'd rather play thug. I expect more out of our players, and I would bet Self does too.

“I got a dislocated finger ..from throwing a punch ..so don’t let the news paper gas yall up aite,” Taylor wrote. Minutes earlier, around midnight, he wrote: “real (racial slur)s do real things .. point plankn.” His earlier posts indicate there may have been escalating tension. “keep my name out ya’ mouth for you get smacked in it,” he wrote at 11:12 a.m. Tuesday, and 30 minutes later he posted, “never get outta character .. I’m always a G about it.” About 4 p.m., Taylor posted, “(racial slur)s be muggin me ..you know I’m mugging back.”

Christine Anderson 5 years, 9 months ago

Uh, I say we all teach both teams a lesson by boycotting their games this season. This is just plain disgusting! One incident was bad enough, but they apparently didn't get the point. Good grief!!

ModSquadGal 5 years, 9 months ago

Good Lord - grow up guys! What a shame. I predict LOTS of bench time for LOTS of players on both sides. Neither coach will put up with this kind of ridiculous behavior. And what's up with the "gansta" slang? Is this what we've been reduced to? Gangsta Thug Bangers playing on our teams? Whatever.

VERY disappointing.

gccs14r 5 years, 9 months ago

yay team.

Athletics is an expensive distraction that serves no good purpose. Dump the whole mess and get back to the business of teaching and research.

jehovah_bob 5 years, 9 months ago

In my mind I see a lot of finger snapping and dancing involved.

Sharks vs. Jets anyone?

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 9 months ago

"Say bye-bye to Lawrence, thuggies."

good lord... no one is going anywhere...

TheJokerObama 5 years, 9 months ago

Typical. Here is your hip hop culture at work.

nobody1793 5 years, 9 months ago

Good thing Ed Hightower isn't a KU cop, he probably wouldn't have seen anything!

tatchity 5 years, 9 months ago

TheJokerObama obviously does not listen to a lot of hip hop. Some sub genres of the music certainly discuss and celebrate violence, but to paint the whole style of music with such a broad brush is silly.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 9 months ago

as opposed to being typical of your hee haw culture... where billy bob and billy ray would be fightn' over their sister... backed up by their entourages from the fillin’ station and the possum shoot gang…

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

tatchity, I'm having great trouble believing the idea that a poster on this forum would paint with too broad of a brush.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 9 months ago

My opinion: last night "just happened" and the punishment needs to be moderate. Today was "purposeful" and individuals need to lose the right to play. I don't care what it costs us: today's participants need to pack their bags.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 9 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad do you even know what happened today?

commonsense 5 years, 9 months ago

1. Gather evidence, sort the facts, etc.
  2. Suspend those involved for an appropriate amount of time
  3. Coaches will demand a zero tolerance policy from here on out (including blogs, facebook, twitter, etc. which embarasses the university). Next altercation will result in immediate removal from the team and university with all scholarship opportunities and privileges lost. Oregon did it, so can we.
  4. Have the captains of each time meet about this embarassing nonsense and set their guys straight because we know many of these young men won't listen to their coach.
  5. Have our AD speak to each team about what a scholarship entails and how using bad judgement could cause a serious blow to their future.
  6. It's probably too late for some of these guys to get along, but the majority are probably embarassed as well and are ready to clean up this nonsense.
  7. Please BBall players, use some self awareness. If you fight football players, you will lose.
  8. Please Fball players, keep winning and you will get yours. Bball players have nothing to do with your success. It's all up to you.
  9. Student body, please remember that the players are students who play sports, not heroes or icons.
  10. And finally, alumni and faculty, go about business as usual. It was a 24 hour encounter which is over. No sense on harping about it.

acg 5 years, 9 months ago

AreUNorml, was that actually the text from his facebook page? If so I don't understand a word of it at all. Can anyone decipher that for me?

mom_of_three 5 years, 9 months ago

I watched the short video after the 2nd incident, and Joe Dooley was around. Wonder how fast he ran up the hill? Excitement at The Underground.....

trinity 5 years, 9 months ago

anybody have any info on the latest skirmish?

KansasVoter 5 years, 9 months ago

Are there any videos of these fights on YouTube yet?

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 9 months ago

Why do a pieces of sh** like this get a free ride to college? I'd kick him off the team just for his tweets!

compmd 5 years, 9 months ago

After reading about these altercations and Taylor's moronic facebook posts, can someone remind me why these people are getting free degrees from the state's flagship university?

Danimal 5 years, 9 months ago

What a bunch of a-holes. How immature and foolish can they be? They almost all go to school for free, and have the honor of representing one of our nation's great universities in athletics. Are they not smart enough to realize that they're representing THE SAME SCHOOL?! I say boot them all back to whatever trash heap we found them in, including Taylor, he's not good enough to justify this kind of behavior. They're supposed to be gentlemen and scholars while they're here. If they want to be thugs they can do it somewhere else on someone elses tab.

DrMoody 5 years, 9 months ago

Anyone want a sneak peak at the letter to the editor for the Kansan that I just wrote? Too bad, I'll post it anyway. I'm a freshman by the by.

It’s a crisp fall morning and instead of the rustle of leaves ushering in winter, all I can hear are shouts. It’s about 10 a.m. and the football and basketball players are at the peak of immaturity. Apparently round 2 has commenced after the previous nights altercation near the Union that sent Tyshawn to the hospital with a dislocated thumb. I’m slightly impressed; it takes me a few hours in the morning to rev my gears up enough to be any more than placid. My overwhelming emotion however, is embarrassment. ESPN, FoxSports, YahooSports, it seems that everyone has caught wind of how selfish and childish our athletic teams are acting. It’s a poor reflection of what this university actually represents, scholars. The Engineering department and the English department don’t brawl in front of Wescoe, (though I admit it would be entertaining) and they are just as competitive as the aforementioned sports teams. Granted, they have a smaller visible fan base, but they are still comparative. What we fail to realize is that all of the players on both teams are KU students. They attend classes, take tests, and do homework, in theory. They are all representatives of KU, and should behave in that manner. Unfortunately, as it pertains to this incident, the national media places a spotlight on the athletics of KU. The players that represent the athletic department of KU are delegates to the reputation of this institution. When representatives behave in the classless manner as such, they damage the thing they represent. I’m not Lew Perkins, and I can’t tell him how to act, but punishment is necessary. We cannot let the nation know that we accept this behavior from students at our university. Championships and wins be damned, there must be accountability for the actions of our scholars.

MrShades 5 years, 9 months ago

Pardon me stewardess, but I speak "Jive"

What the young Mr.Taylor was stating was basically that some of the gentlemen from the Football Club had dishonored him, or perhaps a female acquaintance of his. And that he would no longer accept this behavior, and, if they were to continue, he would be forced to defend him self. And that while he wished they could settle their differences in a more appropriate manner, if needed he could, and would use his fists, but only in an honorable way.

Golly.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 9 months ago

I love Red_Devil's idea! Oh, I know this was already the subject of a blog several months ago, but I thought that using the "N" word was really, really bad.

Danimal 5 years, 9 months ago

Please enlighten us red devil. All I'm saying is that if hitting a member of a sports team from an opposing university is enough to get suspended for a whole season, hitting someone from your own school is even worse. Athletics are a privilege and a luxury, not a right.

milehighhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

The only thing stupider than the fight are some of these comments.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 9 months ago

MrShades wins hands down best post of the day! I wish it were no. 1,000,000.

Frightwig 5 years, 9 months ago

Taylor needs to go. He bragged about throwing the punch, called somebody a n****r, and shows no sign of remorse. Furthermore, his texts illustrate that he has no grasp of the English language. He simply isn't collegiate material. Aiiight??

Shane Garrett 5 years, 9 months ago

MrShades wins hands down for the best post on this topic!

ku_tailg8 5 years, 9 months ago

I was ready to say last night was no big deal but I didn't think these guys were so stupid to start another fracas the next morning. What an embarassment. There stupidity and Taylor's Facebook posts ought to be enough to have the NCAA come in and investigate the academics of both the football and basketball teams.

tatchity 5 years, 9 months ago

MrShades wins hands down. Perhaps the best post ever on LjWorld.

commonsense 5 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Shades

classic my man, classic

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

Jim Williamson 5 years, 9 months ago

Did I see earlier that Brady Morningstar was involved in some way?

Good Lord, he's 36 and old enough to know better.

Adrienne Sanders 5 years, 9 months ago

It kind of makes me sick that you guys think they should be disciplined for what Tyshawn or other players say on Facebook or Twitter. Those involved need to be punished for their involvement in these fights, but I don't see how the University has ANY right to censor what a student says on an non-university affiliated site, nor why the U. would take that into account when determining appropriate punishment for misconduct. Sure, it makes him look like a moron, but that's not the real problem here.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 9 months ago

"OldEnuf2BYurDad do you even know what happened today?"

Yeah, roughly the same crowd that got into it yesterday got into it again today. Am I jumping to conclusions?

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 9 months ago

OldEnufeBYurDad

I don't know if you're jumping to conclusions... It just surprises me that you believe you know enough about what happened to make these comments:

"My opinion: last night “just happened” and the punishment needs to be moderate. Today was “purposeful” and individuals need to lose the right to play. I don't care what it costs us: today's participants need to pack their bags."

I'm not sure how you know how "purposeful" any of what happened today was... Do you believe there was some kind of arranged rumble there between Wescoe and Anschutz? And do you know if anything beyond angry exchanges and some pushing and shoving took place? And what participants are you talking about? Any athletes that were there? Any of them that joined in the verbal exchange? Or any of them the touched, pushed or shoved another?

I'm just wondering what it is that you think these kids did that was so bad to deserve being kicked off of teams and kicked out of school...

Flap Doodle 5 years, 9 months ago

MrShades is today's winner of the Golden Klondyke Bar.

kcmetro 5 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if the football players are ticked because they realize their 15 minutes are over and that the hoops team is just getting started....

truman 5 years, 9 months ago

John Calipari is laughing, laughing, laughing.....

kcmetro 5 years, 9 months ago

Come back with they are undefeated....they are! but they are also under scheduling....come Nov 29th they will have no fewer than 5 losses.

Gareth Skarka 5 years, 9 months ago

This was a fight, bad enough that one participant had to go to the hospital — if it was anybody other than the Football and Basketball teams, there would be an LPD investigation, and assault charges filed.

But KU Athletics Incorporated runs this town. It will get “handled” — which means nothing will be done, because to handle it according to the law would be a threat to their profits.

If this situation doesn't make you sick, you're not paying attention.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 9 months ago

first of all... as it happened on campus, if there was going to be an investigation it would be done by the KU Public Safety Office... (KUPD)

secondly... the injury that sent the participant to the hospital was a dislocated thumb... rather minor and something a lot of guys wouldn't even bother seeking medical attention for... but Taylor being a scholorshiped athlete he didn't have much choice...

and... I'd guess that scuffles like this happen pretty often on campus between non-athletes and we don't hear about them because nobody cares....

and... the idea that "KU Athletics Incorporated runs this town" is just plain stupid... actually more stupid than Taylor's comments on facebook...

I'll tell you what is at least a little bit sickening is that there are people who are so ready and willing to destroy the lives of young people for making pretty common mistakes...

Luckily… the people who will make decisions about all this are better informed, more experienced and qualified to deal with it than those of us out here blabbing about it…

kcmetro 5 years, 9 months ago

KU Football Season officially ends OCT 16th.

alamohawk 5 years, 9 months ago

Its good to see Taylor is as poor of a puncher as he is a three point shooter... Who dislocates a finger throwing a punch? Must have been his follow through

KANSTUCKY 5 years, 9 months ago

John Calipari is laughing, laughing, laughing…..

Calipari paid good money for this incident to happen. Why would he be laughing?

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 9 months ago

So the AD releases a statement in the morning and the students are fighting in the middle of campus after he suggests the coaches will handle the problem? Classy. Perhaps Lew could do some pay-per-view events for donors: hoops vs. football brawls! no holds barred! Wescoe Beach rules!

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 9 months ago

If it is true that 100 or players were involved, then I may not be able to bring myself to give a damn about how either team does this year. I do NOT cheer for thugs no matter who they play for.

ralphralph 5 years, 9 months ago

KU Police are a joke. Saying you can't even investigate a fight involving 100 people unless a "victim" comes forward is entirely false -- a total lie. They were going in to meet with Lew to get their instructions on which rug to sweep this under. The students of KU --- all of them --- are entitled to a safe and peaceful campus. Ensuring that safety is the job of the KU police. They have flat out said that they are not going to perform that job. Are these not sworn officers?
What a load of crap. The guys involved in the fighting may be "just kids". The KU cops who refuse to do their job and investigate this campus violence are unfit to wear any badge. Is there anybody on this campus with the authority to correct this and the guts to do it? I doubt it. KU Police = Shameful lackies.

ralphralph 5 years, 9 months ago

I should add: KU Administration = just as shameful. Suppose you are a parent of kids choosing a college ... would you send your child to a campus where the police refuse to investigate violence? Not me. DO YOUR JOBS.

kmat 5 years, 9 months ago

stuckinthemiddle (Anonymous) says…

and… I'd guess that scuffles like this happen pretty often on campus between non-athletes and we don't hear about them because nobody cares….

This is where you are really wrong. Ever been a student there? Ever read the UDK where crimes on campus are reported? Crime on campus keeps going down year by year and it's mostly theft. They also have cameras on campus outside of public buildings. They might have these fights on tape.

Bob Forer 5 years, 9 months ago

Damn, Shades, you beat me too it. Where is Barbara Billingsly where when we need her.

MIke Mallory 5 years, 9 months ago

DAMN SHADES, THAT S__T IS FUNNY, AS I HAVE STATED BEFORE. "YOU CAN TAKE THE THUG OUT OF THE GHETTO ( NEW JERSEY ) BUT YOU CANT THAT THE GETTO ( NEW JERSEY ) OUT OF THE THUG.

more_cowbell 5 years, 9 months ago

KU football season ticket ad at the top of the page. Class operation you have there, Mr. Perkins. Really makes the alumni and general public want to give your programs more money...

SoCalRick 5 years, 9 months ago

KU is extremely lucky that this hasn't become more of a national story.

The first fight got a five second mention at the end of PTI today but I'm guessing that after this second altercation this story will start popping up around the sports world if Thursday turns out to be an otherwise slow sports day.

igby 5 years, 9 months ago

Coach "Bear Bryant", the University of Alabama, would make his players run laps around the football field. He had 4 fifty five gallon barrels sitting on each corner of the end zone and when you got sick, you puked into the barrels.

Roll Tide!

Mandie Eutsler 5 years, 9 months ago

so i'm to assume none of you have ever gotten into a fight over a girl? And none of your teammates have ever stood up and gotten in a fight with you? It's not like the JR Giddens thing or CJ Giles, but i am disappointed in them. However, I'm thinking this probably was not as bad as it sounds. Not until i get some details. Now all of you go get your pogo sticks and keep jumping to conclusions.

igby 5 years, 9 months ago

They learned the "wish bone", was more than just a winning play!

Pass, pass, pass.....wish bone....end zone!

Then you can puke!

misseve 5 years, 9 months ago

MrShades (Anonymous) says…

Pardon me stewardess, but I speak “Jive”

Golly.

FUNNIEST POST I HAVE READ ALL YEAR! thanks shades :)

coloradoan 5 years, 9 months ago

Stuckinthemiddle -

So, you think that "there are people who are so ready and willing to destroy the lives of young people for making pretty common mistakes…" Go figure. How about that the people commenting simply want some positive accountability from people who are PAID to represent the best traditions of the University of Kansas? These clowns get a full ride, plus tutoring, etc. the rest of us could not hope for. I'm still paying my student loan, and I worked full time on top of that. Why am I supposed to be sympathetic to these prima donnas? If they want to have the freedom to make what you call "common mistakes" without public acrimony, then they need to pay their own way. If I and the other taxpayers are supporting their sorry arses, then they can follow some basic rules of civil behavior.

I hope they bench the whole sorry bunch. Yeah, wishful thinking.

mr_right_wing 5 years, 9 months ago

OK, this kind of thing is supposed to happen in Columbia or Manhattan....

NOT HERE!

alchemist 5 years, 9 months ago

I agree with coloradoan. It's really sad that these kids on scholarship with every advantage over the regular students are allowed to act like this with little or no repercussions at all. They should bench all of them, and by all of them I mean the entire teams whether or not they were involved. It would send a message and maybe, just maybe, a smart team captain or some other reasonable player might just lay everything out to the imbeciles who instigated this mess. Cause my guess would be if every member of both teams was held accountable for their actions. This crap would stop. How in the heck is KU supposed to better it's image as an educational institution when they are forced to deal with this kind of juvenile nonsense by their "top notch" student athletes.

lawrencegrl11 5 years, 9 months ago

Growing up in Lawrence we have not had these problems with players representing KU like this, except for Giddons who was kicked off! Roy would of never recruited "thugs" like this. Even if it wasn't their fault, stay out of trouble. It used to be nice showing your kids who the basketball players our when you are out in public, not it's embarrassing! Hope Self does better with recruiting more grateful players, I agree with you coloradoan!

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 9 months ago

Has anyone else ever noticed how Marion likes to race bait? He is so obsessed.

Jay_lo 5 years, 9 months ago

Witnesses report KU sewing champion poked in eye for needling hockey player. Hockey player sticks to his story about getting the puck out of town before the incident took place.

Markstaff 5 years, 9 months ago

Never embarrassed to be a Jayhawk fan. Sometimes embarrassed by the players.

Kaw Pickinton 5 years, 9 months ago

Is this a made up story to hit 1,000,000 faster?

gphawk89 5 years, 9 months ago

"KU is extremely lucky that this hasn't become more of a national story."

Well, there's now a pretty embarrassing story on the Sports Illustrated website. And one on the USA Today website. And one on the CBS news website. And one on the NBC sports website. And one on the ESPN website. Not sure how much attention they're getting, but I'd say the above stories would qualify this as a national embarrassment.

bpitts65 5 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if they are related to Gidden?

hail2oldku 5 years, 9 months ago

"lawrencegrl11 (Anonymous) says… Growing up in Lawrence we have not had these problems with players representing KU like this, except for Giddons who was kicked off! Roy would of never recruited “thugs” like this. Even if it wasn't their fault, stay out of trouble. It used to be nice showing your kids who the basketball players our when you are out in public, not it's embarrassing! Hope Self does better with recruiting more grateful players, I agree with you coloradoan!"

First, you either have a very short memory or you didn't really grow up here. There have been similar incidents, though not as highly reported, going on for the 25+ years that I've been here. Facebook and cell phones have a lot to do with what and how much gets reported now.

And as for Roy not recruiting thugs - Giddens was his recruit, he just jumped ship for UNC before Giddens arrived. Also, remember CJ Giles - Roy recruit. How about Mario Kinsey? - Roy

Shall I go on?

Every coach that's come through here have had some recruits of questionable character. Don't kid yourself into thinking otherwise.

Stephen Roberts 5 years, 9 months ago

I hope the coaches would suspend the players who did this because it makes both programs look bad. Football players 1 game, basketball players 10 games.

the coaches need to show the players that actions like this will not be tolerated. Send them to their rooms and make them do their own homework without the "help" from their tutors. For some athletes, that is worse than missing a game, getting drunk, getting high, getting laid, getting money all together.

kujayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

There is a big difference between fighting a football player and a kicker on the football team.

Stephen Roberts 5 years, 9 months ago

I went to a small Division II school, too many of the football players and basketball players thought their only job was to play their sport. They do not realize that they to play their sport, go well enough in school to play, and represent the university.

I had a good friend who on the football team and he stated the only reason he was on the team was to help boost the GPA and help the tutors with the great college ready and smart athletes (sarcasm).

Stephen Roberts 5 years, 9 months ago

Too bad we don't have KU Hockey, I would have paid the see the basketball player get his butt kicked by a hockey player - male or female.

What do you think what would have happened if it were players from two women's teams, would there have been any lost game time????

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 9 months ago

Oh stop with all the stock and amazement. How many of these "students" are at KU to get an education or are they just here to play ball? Major college basketball and football have long been the recruiting ground of the pros. KU is the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. We all know its true and we pay for it and don't give we KU Sport, Inc. and how much money they raise and give, this is a state school and KU football and basketball is a business enterprise period.

Sharon Roullins 5 years, 9 months ago

You know it is simply amazing to me how incidents like this grow like wildfire before the verdict is in. Then if that wasn't bad enough, Heaven forbid when people of color are involved. There are so many racial undertones it makes me sick. I know that the internet can be your worse enemy but now everybody is reading people's facebook, twitter, or whatever other source of communication to find out what's really going on. Am I condoning the fight? No. But to berate a person for using language that you don't understand and then to call it "Jive" is a bunch of crock. What do you call it when a person is speaking a different language? How many of your kids use a language that is hard to decipher when they are texting or sexting for that matter? Yes, I think all those that are involved should be punished to whatever degree that fits the infraction. Notice I said ALL! Whether they got a full ride or they are paying out the nose on their own, you personally are not giving them any money to go to school nor are you being awarded the good citizen or parent award. Wait until the complete facts come out, then form your opinions and when all that is said and done, wait for the next breaking story and get ready to blast the next person.

Douglas Garst 5 years, 9 months ago

Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little needs to take charge and put an end to the situation immediately. For example; all of the football and basketball team players, coaches, trainers, etc. need to assemble and Chancellor Gray-Little simply needs to address them and put the players on notice. Yes, she needs to talk down to the players as these young men need to understand they are a “dime a dozen” and there are thousand of young men across this nation that can take their place. Next she should address the parents of all of the players and let the parents know what happen so the “sons” don’t provide misleading information to their parents. Unfortunately, if this does not take place the next event that happens between the players may very likely be a homicide investigation.

Devon Kissinger 5 years, 9 months ago

Such a shame, all this over a BB player's Wednesday night "thing" that decided to switch teams.

bondmen 5 years, 9 months ago

Boys raised without a father or by a fatherless fathers most often don't learn how to properly behave in the presence of others. One of the most important factors in a young man's upbringing is an actively engaged father who can show him the best way to go from being a boy (irresponsible and driven by emotions) to becoming a man (responsible and driven to provide for a family).

The liberal plantation has forced fathers out of the house; since the state became the provider the man wasn't needed at home. It is a purposeful destruction of any community where father's are now absent. The results are clear to see for all who have eyes.

See 'The United States of Newark' at: http://www.cashill.com/natl_general/united_states.htm

BlackVelvet 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey, ralphralph, I hear KUPD has job openings. How about you apply for a poistion and show them how it's done?

Bladerunner 5 years, 9 months ago

It's far from over. Most of these guys have the brains of a small soap dish. The athletic department knows who is involved and issues a statement. Wow. A statement. No punishment? Thanks for giving KU a black eye when we should be riding high on the achievements of our sports teams.

Taylor says he is a "G". (Thats Gangster for you people that might need a translation). Why keep this idiot around?

The punishments should be swift and severe to set an example or its going to continue to escalate until someone gets hurt. Oh wait....They already have.

tanaumaga 5 years, 9 months ago

all this over some worn out johnson county jersey chaser?there are PLENTY more of them...don't get gassed up aite.

CLARKKENT 5 years, 9 months ago

DRMOODY---YESTERDAY I WAS A JACKASS, TODAY YOU AGREE WITH ME???

MRSHADES---WHAT A GREAT POST.

COLORADOAN--GOOD POST.

WINNING A NATIONAL TITLE IS WELL AND GOOD. HAVING FOLLOWED BILL SELF SINCE HIS TULSA DAYS HE WILL WIN ANOTHER AND POSSIBLY ANOTHER. I JUST HOPE THAT HE REALLY LOOKS AT MR. TAYLOR'S ACTIONS, TWEETS, AND ATTITUDE AND PULLS HIS GRANT AND SENDS HIM ON HIS WAY. ALL IT WILL TAKE IS ONE. THE REST OF THE KIDS WILL REALIZE THAT THERE IS NO TOLERANCE.

IT IS REALLY SAD, BUT SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE.

beagledog 5 years, 9 months ago

Does KU have a boxing team? Maybe some of the combatants in this feud can try out, except for Tyshawn of course. This is so stupid, and it started over some girl. Believe me, no girl or woman is worth this much headache. congratulations KU athletes, you have given the crimson and blue a black eye. You have also shown the country how stupid a bunch of dumb jocks can really be. Shame on all of you.

irnmadn88 5 years, 9 months ago

I dunno which is worse, this or “Drop the Chalupa!”

thepianoman 5 years, 9 months ago

Two words: Grow Up. This is junior high behavior. These guys are acting like a bunch of __. Use your imagination to fill in the blank.

ku_tailg8 5 years, 9 months ago

What happened the last 2 days isn't a cover up? If it is the school is doing a horrible job of doing so. Maybe the past 5 years or however long this has been going on has been swept under the rug. But don't you think a better story for KU to make up would be to tell the media Taylor's thumb was dislocated playing a pickup game? This is too far out there now to cover up anything. It seems KU kept hoping these idiots would grow up and now they are forced to do something. Maybe our team captains should've stepped forward and met with each other to solve this problem internally before this became a public mess.

Jerry Collins 5 years, 9 months ago

Forgive the fight-Don't forgive the punk talk on face book. Will never appreciate Taylor's 3-pointers again like I did before. Will always remember the punk talk.

nathan 5 years, 9 months ago

Everyone involved should be dragged to the KC Renaissance Festival and be forced to sword fight

Sharon Roullins 5 years, 9 months ago

Now this is Obama's fault? Unreal. Raised without fathers? You people never cease to amaze me. I trust you did all of your research before making that comment.

KawHawk 5 years, 9 months ago

ihatelv 5 years, 9 months ago

If the only injury was a dislocated thumb, this fight sucked! Can it even still be considered a fight? I am imagining a bunch of dudes slapping each other while screaming like little girls........ Embarrassment for KU? No doubt!

RuralKsGirl 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm disappointed in the whole situation. Thoroughly disappointed.

pusscanthropus 5 years, 9 months ago

When KU recruits a full-scholarship athlete for men's football or basektball, he is not allowed to work. However, many of these thugs already have children, some by several women. Who is paying the child support? You and me--through welfare.

I think KU should not recruit those who have a felony record or have child support obligations. KU big money sports would then be a lot cleaner.

Anybody remember Kenny Drayton? How about Sean Tunstull? If KU has to recruit kidnappers, rapists, and drug dealers to stay in the rankings, what a shame! Think about that when you're all excited waving the wheat at the next home game.

oklahoma 5 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Shades is great, but Phogfan86 got ignored! Brady is 36 and should know better, now that's funny.

And irnmadn88, you get props for the Chalupa memory!

Some of us can still remember David Jaynes and his inability to keep his britches pulled up.

gram77 5 years, 9 months ago

Actually "tanaumaga" it was all over a worn out whore jersey chaser from Jefferson County. Last time she was from Johnson County. Your right, there are plenty of them around campus. So don't get all gassed up everyone, aite! I bet her parents are also "SO PROUD"!

Dixie Jones 5 years, 9 months ago

someone commented about looking at one of the players facebook pages, how do you do that if your not one of thier friends?

irnmadn88 5 years, 9 months ago

@ oklahoma- Thanks! And if you heard my mother tell it, Johnny Riggins was no saint either...

MB78 5 years, 9 months ago

MB78 5 years, 9 months ago

7texdude 5 years, 9 months ago

The funniest part of this situation has been the reaction of the fans. If you are so appalled by KU players, then don't go to the games, stop giving money to the university and let everyone know at KU - the coaches, players, AD and chancellor - why you did it.

If all you are going to do is write stuff on the internet, then you're a bigger wimp than TT. Skip Late Night. Cancel your season tickets or simply shut up. I bet the last one is the hardest one of all.

MB78 5 years, 9 months ago

OK! Well apparently you're not allowed to say anything about the jersey chaser that started this whole mess.

flamingoroad 5 years, 9 months ago

Exactly! I'd like to hear from the jersey chaser who started the the whole thing. Grow up boys!

gram77 5 years, 9 months ago

Shes a tramp, always has been and is even a bigger one now that she's at college. Heard she's on school probation. Maybe she should stay home and study instead of chasing the black athletes.

Jeff Kilgore 5 years, 9 months ago

I have never seen so many wussies on one board in my life! Yes, men become angry and fight. They shouldn't do this, but sometimes they do. I have been in a few, but I wasn't a college basketball player, so nobody could have cared less.

The kids are physical. They are a long way from home. They are treated like demi-gods (by many posting here). They are competitive by nature. They both play sports in which they are something like modern gladiators. So every one cries when the kids' anger spills into a fight. Notice that most of the bball players walked away. Rightfully so. They are outmanned and outweighed.

Stain on the University? Not in my eyes. You know, after fights, the fighters usually have a lot of respect for each other and sometimes become friends. So . . .

Why can't they be friends? Why can't they be friends?

mr_right_wing 5 years, 9 months ago

I'd say let's solve this with a no-holds-barred cage match between Mangino and Self, but I don't think any of us want to endure another search for a head basketball coach!

bd 5 years, 9 months ago

Maybe a BB player stole a FP's challupa????