Archive for Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Perkins calls meeting with KU football, basketball players; statement issued

September 23, 2009, 4:13 p.m. Updated September 23, 2009, 6:32 p.m.

Kansas University athletic director Lew Perkins called to order a meeting of the feuding Jayhawk football and basketball teams Wednesday afternoon at Anderson Family Football Complex.

“Lew had a great meeting with them — both teams, full teams and coaches. I would describe it as a very direct meeting,” KU senior associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said of a 15-minute session.

“I am very confident (conflict is over). You have to remember this was a small number of individuals. The statement says everything I believe they (players) were thinking.”

After the meeting — set up in response to a Tuesday night football/basketball conflict that left basketball player Tyshawn Taylor with a dislocated left thumb and a Wednesday morning flap on KU’s campus that apparently resulted in no injuries — the following statement was released by selected members of both teams.

“We realize that over the past couple of days we’ve let a disagreement between a few guys grow bigger than it ever should have. We’re embarrassed about that.

“Now we want everyone know that we have met and talked it out. We realize we’re all Jayhawks. We’re proud of what both teams have accomplished.

“We appreciate the support these teams give each other. We’ll be in the stands rooting for each other like we always have.

“We all wear KANSAS on our uniforms, and we’re proud of that. We need to act like it. We’ve met; we’re all on the same page, and we will move forward together. The football team is ready to get back to work, focused on Saturday’s game against Southern Mississippi and the basketball team will continue to prepare for another great season.”

Basketball — Cole Aldrich, Sherron Collins.

Football — Kerry Meier, Todd Reesing, Jake Sharp, Darrell Stuckey.

Comments

avaholic 5 years, 2 months ago

Don't really think that took care of the disagreement but I'm glad they met with Lew

Markstaff 5 years, 2 months ago

They should be embarrassed. It remains to be seen if this meeting resolves anything. I hope it does, but it seems the issues go back over a year. Not sure if this can be glossed over.

Gareth Skarka 5 years, 2 months ago

"See? We 'handled' it. Nothing to see here. Move along. No need to involve the law, as would be the case in any other assault. No need to threaten KU Athletics Incorporated's money-making machine."

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure more "got accomplished" in that meeting in addition to this statement. It'll be a while before anything like this happens again.

In some ways it's good this happened. The incident no doubt has been a good opportunity for the players to experience for themselves how close one can come to losing a place on a team over "words" and a lack of self-discipline.

Graczyk 5 years, 2 months ago

Lame. Predictable, necessary, but still lame.

Jay_lo 5 years, 2 months ago

Hey guys, as fans, we're loving the opportunity to support both teams at the top of their game. Save the fight for the rest of the Big XII, don't waste it on each other. Apology, though not exactly issued, accepted.

SoonerJayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

I have football players and basketball players in my classes. It got quiet each time they entered the class. A lot of students are disappointed and upset with them. Every athlete that was involved needs to apologize to the students, faculty and alumni of KU. NOT HAVE THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT OR COACHES DO IT FOR THEM! Too many fights have happened between the two teams. I was even there when it happened a year or so ago (not quite sure when) at the hawk.

This statement is a slap in the face to all fellow Jayhawks.

If these athletes do not care enough to apologize to students, faculty, and alumni, why don't we protest them? Why don't we boycott going to their games and supporting them? They obviously do not care about their "fans" so why should we care about these neanderthals?

newmedia 5 years, 2 months ago

Someone is not going to get to play Saturday. Hide and watch.

Stebbins 5 years, 2 months ago

Talk about stating the obvious. The rest of us understand we're all Jayhawks, and they're only now figuring this out?

unelectable 5 years, 2 months ago

the 'more like this' is nice. but could it not be limited in date. Do we really need to be referred to an article from 2005? Just my two cents.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 2 months ago

What an improvement in grammar from the facebook page posts.

Bruce Bertsch 5 years, 2 months ago

The Facebook in question was turned off at about 12:30pm. Gosh, I wonder why?

ClaroAtaxia 5 years, 2 months ago

Seriously? Why bother to write this article if you aren't even going to mention what the disagreement was!? This is a pointless, vapidly-dramatic article.

Can the author please update the article with all pertinent information?

newbee2 5 years, 2 months ago

Embarrassing, yes. Unforgiveable, no, as long as it really is nipped in the bud. These guys have bigger fish to fry, and they need to get focused on that, but you know, it isn't like they have had some fantastic examples of sportsmanlike behavior recently. When they see professional athletes act like a bunch of loudmouths and brawlers, are we really that surprised when our college athletes immulate them? Wonder if anyone threatened to cram a basketball or football down somebody elses throat! No they are not heros but kids do look up to them, I wish they would try to set a better example of civility.

newbee2 5 years, 2 months ago

Consumer, it may be a canned response, but if it happens again, it will now, after this statement, be an blackeye for Lew and Crew, so I am sure these young men got the point of what will happen to them individually and perhaps collectively, if they choose to partcipate in brawls beyond what happened today.

tanaumaga 5 years, 2 months ago

it already is a black eye for lew and crew...it's going to take a whole lot more for a k.o. though.

SoonerJayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Newbee2,

This isn't the first fight. They have fought at the Hawk and basketball players are not allowed to go to Johnny's tavern on sat. night because of all the scuffles that have happened there.

HogJiver 5 years, 2 months ago

OK, time to transfer a few players to Topeka.

milehighhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Hey - here's the 1,000,000th post.

On this subject.

Bob Forer 5 years, 2 months ago

Sooner Jayhawk wrote:

"I have football players and basketball players in my classes. It got quiet each time they entered the class. A lot of students are disappointed and upset with them."

gsxr600 5 years, 2 months ago

"Now we want everyone know that we have met and talked it out."

Beautifully written bit of elementary grammar.

facepalm

lllwll 5 years, 2 months ago

ralphralph.

"crock"

Best statement that has been posted. Collins was involved according to the Kansan. The other players quoted on the release statement were not mentioned in any of the interviews posted by the local news.

Talk about spin.

Kaplow 5 years, 2 months ago

SoonerJayhawk - Interesting how Sooner comes before Jayhawk in that name. I have a sneaking suspicion that you are trying to help OU gain an edge over the Hawks with comments like ... "If these athletes do not care enough to apologize to students, faculty, and alumni, why don't we protest them? Why don't we boycott going to their games and supporting them? They obviously do not care about their “fans” so why should we care about these neanderthals?"

hmmmm are you REALLY a student at KU or an Okie Spy?

afraidnot 5 years, 2 months ago

You may be proud to wear Kansas on your jerseys and proud of each other, but we're sure not proud of you anymore. What an embarassment.

Socratic 5 years, 2 months ago

Very good move to get the football and basketball players together to sort this out and issue a joint statement.

Bladerunner 5 years, 2 months ago

You can lead a thug to school but you cant make him think.......

SoonerJayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Kaplow,

Your first thought is a spy? Really? Should I change my name to OklahomaJayhawk? EdmondJayhawk? What about TexasJayhawk?

I was born and (mostly) raised in Oklahoma. AKA Sooner land. Yes, I do like OU. But why did I come to KU? Because I LOVE KU.
Would you like the rest of my life story as well?
It's just a screen name. Get over yourself. You must have some corrupt people in your life to make assumptions as outrageous as that.

SoonerJayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

TheSychophant,

Please inform me what you would have done in that situation. What would you say?
It was quite clear that they got the point. Please, tell me what you would do so you weren't sitting on your thumbs. This also means, face to face interaction. No hiding behind a computer on this one. Also, you have class with them every other day until December.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Why don't students have enough guts to stand up and make a diplomatic but pointed statement, to their faces, expressing a little outrage. By sitting on your thumbs you reveal yourselves as cowards. At least the players who fought had enough guts to stand up, albeit for all the wrong reasons."

They had a physical altercation. You are now promoting violence?

Bladerunner 5 years, 2 months ago

How about one big sweaty group hug? Ewwwwww.

DrMoody 5 years, 2 months ago

How about some responsibility? Right now KU is the laughing stock of the athletic world. People need to be suspended and the KU police needs to act accordingly.

Kaplow 5 years, 2 months ago

And yes I seriously do think you are a spy. I mean all spies spend hours online replying to posts and making off base suggestions about sports teams that they obviously know/care little about between hoarding their Candy Bars, Carebears and My Little Ponies collections. How do you think Putin got started...?

Christine Anderson 5 years, 2 months ago

Protect the money machine, at all costs. Issue a very weak "statement". Do not discipline. Do not bench players from either team, because gosh golly, that might cause the money machine to lose a game. Crap, seeing the way Perkins is handling this, I guess I should not have been surprised by our players' behavior. The message is much larger and louder than the joint statement issued. The message is, "Don't worry boys; if you get in a little hot water, we will smooth it all over for you. All those alumni and other fans will bever be the wiser."

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 2 months ago

On the upside, more student-athletes were on campus today from the football and basketball teams than one would usually expect. At least they are near classrooms.

quik 5 years, 2 months ago

I'll have to walk by Joe College tomorrow to see the great new t-shirts that are sure to come from this episode.

SoonerJayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Kaplow,

"I mean all spies spend hours online replying to posts and making off base suggestions about sports teams that they obviously know/care little about"

All hours replying to posts huh? How about a) i just registered today for LJW b) I leave web pages up on my computer even when I am gone and c) you are assuming everything.

How did you come up with the fact that I know/care little about these teams? Why do you think I am a hoarder?

You are assuming and instigating. You have no factual evidence of any of this. You are merely creating a persona in your head of who I am, when in fact you have no idea who I am.

"I am merely suggesting that a screen name such as SoonerJayhawk implies that Sooner is first in your mind and Jayhawk is second." - Just because you think that, does not mean it is factual. Keep assuming away that Sooner is first and Jayhawk comes second in my mind. You're not a good mind reader. I suggest you change careers.

SoonerJayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Kaplow,

"The statement was canned but but Lew, Mangino and Self (well maybe a little more than the others) aren't gonna put up with this crap.. I would be surprised to see Briscoe on the field this weekend."

Are your surprised? I thought you were very educated about these teams??? But yet, your guesses were wrong. They did put up with "this crap" and Briscoe will be on the field this weekend.

Godot 5 years, 2 months ago

Crimson and Blue; Bloods and Crips. Nothing to see here. Just walk on by.

kevbel246 5 years, 2 months ago

Been a life long KU fan. While this wont change that I hope these guys understand the chance they are being given. To wear the KU and get a free education at the same time. We all know we made bad choices when we were younger and learned from them.

readit 5 years, 2 months ago

If I were a bball player, I'd be working as hard as I could to take Tyshawn's place. Maybe someone who appreciates the incredible opportunity to be a KU player will get the starting nod instead.

WhiteDog 5 years, 2 months ago

Did they end by joining hands and singing a heartfelt rendition of KumBayYa?

mom_of_three 5 years, 2 months ago

Not seeing the big deal.
Its been taking care of. What do you expect would happen to any other studnet at KU involved ina fight. The same thing.

Jay_lo 5 years, 2 months ago

WhiteDog (Anonymous) says…

Did they end by joining hands and singing a heartfelt rendition of KumBayYa?

I think they did the KU fight song...

Jay_lo 5 years, 2 months ago

less than 300 to go...

why is the pace so slow?

alchemist 5 years, 2 months ago

Yes. Oh, the issued a nice hand waving statement, that tries to brush everything under the rug because our athletes are so good, and that just seems to be all that matters to the higher ups. What a crock, and the players statement sounds like they got someone in junior high to write it. Maybe the should hit the tutoring on a more regular basis. It's a crock that there will be no repercussions for this. Once was more than enough, but repeating it guys at 10 am....grow up, or give your scholarship to someone who will actually use it and appreciate it.

riverdrifter 5 years, 2 months ago

I just want to see if anyone is held responsible, staff or player, & gets jettisoned. Needs to happen.

Brandon Perkins 5 years, 2 months ago

I am sure there will be repercussions...Self and Mangino both have handled situations in the past as they see fit. I do not think that either coach will brush this under the rug...

Matt Warman 5 years, 2 months ago

Yawn.............

Where is TOB to put a better spin on this?

rtwngr 5 years, 2 months ago

Maybe we can get Obama to travel to each of the other Big 12 schools and apologize to them for our teams' actions.

Gregory Newman 5 years, 2 months ago

I bet anyone a $1000 versus a half a cent that it was texas players versus east coast just like it was when i was in the vietnam war. Chicagoans didnt like texas and texas didnt like cali. I am from lawrence didnt nobody mess with me because i told them we invented boothill but then at 185lbs I worked out at 4 sets of 15 with 250lbs