Advertisement

Archive for Sunday, September 13, 2009

People in the news

September 13, 2009

Advertisement

Man accused of stalking ‘Hills’ star

Los Angeles — A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge has issued a temporary restraining order against a Northern California man accused of stalking “The Hills” star Audrina Partridge.

Zachory Loring of Petaluma is barred from coming within 100 yards of the reality TV celebrity. The order was issued Friday.

The 24-year-old Loring is accused of showing up on the doorstep of Partidge’s Los Angeles home last month and handing her a stack of materials, including poems written to her and a photo of a woman being strangled. Her lawyers say he returned two more times, once staying on her porch for seven hours.

A hearing on a long-term order is set for Sept. 30.

Hefner says children delayed divorce

Toronto — Hugh Hefner said he waited more than 10 years to complete his divorce “because of the children.”

“I stayed married not because it was a marriage — the marriage ended in 1998,” he said. “I stayed because she wanted me to.”

But now his twin boys are turning 18, so the 83-year-old Playboy magazine founder says, “Now is the time.”

On Friday, Hefner filed for divorce from former Playmate of the Year, Kimberly Conrad Hefner. The couple married in 1989 and were legally separated in 1998. Since then, Hefner lived with three girlfriends at the Playboy Mansion. That relationship was documented on the E! Reality show “The Girls Next Door.”

Hefner made the comments at the premiere of his documentary, “Hugh Hefner: Playboy Activist and Rebel,” at the Toronto International Film Festival.

At the premiere, Hefner described himself as “a died-in-the-heart romantic who played some part in the changing social sexual values of his time.”

But the film shows a different side of him. Directed by Academy Award winner Brigitte Berman, she chooses to depict the making of the man and his stance as activist and humanitarian. The film opens in North America in the spring of 2010.

Garrison Keillor out of hospital after stroke

Minneapolis— Humorist Garrison Keillor has been released from Mayo Clinic’s Saint Marys Hospital after suffering a minor stroke earlier in the week.

Keillor spokesman David O’Neill released a brief statement Friday night saying Keillor left the Rochester hospital earlier in the evening. O’Neill said Keillor was on his way back to his St. Paul home “and is in great spirits.”

The 67-year-old Keillor had said he felt ill on Monday morning and drove himself to a St. Paul hospital, then was transferred to Mayo Clinic.

Keillor said he still plans to start his new season of “A Prairie Home Companion” as scheduled in two weeks. Some 4 million people listen each week to the long-running show on nearly 600 public radio stations in the United States.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.