Archive for Friday, September 4, 2009

Woman suffers minor injuries in car-pedestrian accident

Driver arrested on alcohol, false reports charges

A woman was transported Friday morning to Lawrence Memorial Hospital after suffering a leg injury in a pedestrian-versus-car accident at Sixth and Maine streets.

September 4, 2009

A woman was transported Friday morning to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for minor injuries after a car-versus-pedestrian accident on Sixth Street.

The woman was crossing Maine Street on foot at the intersection of Sixth and Maine streets when she was struck by a vehicle turning north onto Maine.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl, the victim suffered “minor bumps and bruises” as a result of the accident. The call came out to police at 12:31 a.m.

The driver of the vehicle, a 20-year-old Lawrence man, was arrested on charges of operating under the influence, making false reports, and possession of a fake driver’s license. The man was arrested at 1:20 a.m.

Comments

gsxr600 5 years, 3 months ago

Frequently I hear know-nothings repeat the mantra that “if you want to drive, no one is stopping you.” Well, perhaps the perception (and reality) that driving is dangerous might be dissuading those who might otherwise wish to get around by car?

Frequently I hear know-nothings repeat the mantra that “if you want to ride a bike, no one is stopping you.” Well, perhaps the perception (and reality) that biking is dangerous might be dissuading those who might otherwise wish to get around on a bike?

Frequently I hear know-nothings repeat the mantra that “if you want to go buy groceries, no one is stopping you.” Well, perhaps the perception (and reality) that going to go buy groceries and not getting murdered by a murderer is dangerous might be dissuading those who might otherwise wish to go get groceries?

puddleglum 5 years, 3 months ago

pedestrian vs. car.......................makes it sound like accidents are really just staged gladiator-style bouts of rage. Can't wait to hear about another bus vs. bike accident.....the cyclist frowned heavily and stared right back with malice into the bloodshot squinting eyes of the bus driver-muttering under his breath "you just try it, kid" the cyclist aimed his specialized squarely at the jugular of the lumbering bus known as the front bumper (even thought there were no riders on the T at the present time) and the cyclist knew if he hit it just right, his joust would take out the behemoth once and for all-together with a combined closing speed of 32mph the melee commenced, and ended with a smack! The knight of the round spoke wheel was laying on the tarmac-with his helemt intact, the bus driver had spilled his big gulp all over the dash. both contestants knew that the bus had taken out the specialized steed as expected. but the bumper was unscathed for now.....lowering his brow, the cyclist-knight slowly got up and proclaimed-"thou shalt now bring forth 800 shillings what to reimburse me for the death of my noble steed" The bus driver replied "You art thou whom swerved unto the path of righteous 'T'-almighty service wagon to the kingdom of Larry-it may be a token of gratitude from the council of the round contractor which sees fit from unto hereon-so forth: the blessing of your life and maybe a new bike." -cyclist knight withered at the suggestion-but knew he had been beaten.......this time.

puddleglum 5 years, 3 months ago

danggit....it was car versus pedestrian story now downgraded to car-pedestrian accident.... now my cool fantasy seems a little flat.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

puddleglum, I have rode the bus so many times when it was full of people. For all love get over it. People ride the bus. In all fairness though I will say that your comment was very good.
It was creative,imaginative and a fun read. Thanks.

puddleglum 5 years, 3 months ago

I have seen the bus full also, Irish, however woe be to those who stand close together. I hath 'ere seen bus void of personage also

Curtis Lange 5 years, 3 months ago

Wonder if this is the same lady that was randomly standing in the middle of Tennessee St (at about 7th St) Wednesday night after 10pm? She crossed the street then went back and paced in the middle of the street for awhile as I watched in my rear view mirror. shakes head

angelmom 5 years, 3 months ago

I drive that stretch of road almost every morning early, I see so many people out walking in black or dark clothes. You can just barely see them, For everyone safety, make sure you are wearing clothes that can be seen in the dark.

Dayna Lee 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure that my opinion is going to be attacked. I'm up for it. FRIENDS DO NOT FRIENDS WALK AROUND TOWN ALONE AFTER DARK!!! There's just too much that can happen. I get it, you think you're grown, no big deal. Wrong! There is safety that only comes with numbers. It has been lightly raining lately. Some people are drunk. Some people are tired. I hope this person makes a speedy recovery. It's not fair, but it is true. On Halloween, we put reflective tape on our kids, and drivers know that kids will be out. You have to protect yourself. Some walkers carry flashlights to be seen. I work late. I am always scared that someone is going to think I see them when I don't. Please, if you're going to be walking at night, do whatever you can to be seen.