Advertisement

Archive for Saturday, October 31, 2009

People in the news

October 31, 2009

Advertisement

Judge orders trial in Anna Nicole Smith case

Los Angeles — A judge ordered Anna Nicole Smith’s boyfriend and two doctors to stand trial on charges of illegally funneling prescription drugs to the former Playboy model.

The ruling Friday followed a three-week preliminary hearing to determine if there was enough evidence to try lawyer Howard K. Stern, Dr. Sandeep Kapoor and Dr. Khristine Eroshevich. The charges included providing drugs to an addict.

All three pleaded not guilty.

“I think you’ve proven (Smith is) an addict,” Superior Court Judge Robert J. Perry told prosecutors before making his ruling and setting arraignments for Dec. 11.

Defense attorneys contended their clients did not know Smith was an addict and were trying to help her.

“Criminalizing a doctor’s efforts to help a difficult patient is problematic,” Kapoor’s attorney, Ellyn Garofalo, told the judge in court. “A doctor’s even poor judgment is not criminal. Good faith is involved.”

The hearing delved deeply into Smith’s troubled life and the role the defendants allegedly had in feeding her drug addiction before she died of an accidental overdose in 2007.

Troubled Broderick play pushes back its opening

New York — Look for “The Starry Messenger” to arrive off-Broadway later than originally planned.

The new play starring Matthew Broderick has pushed back its opening by a week after a problem-plagued first preview that included its star needing a prompter in the front row to assist him with his lines.

Messages posted on various theater Web sites said the actor called out nearly a dozen times for lines during the Monday performance of the three-hour play written and directed by Kenneth Lonergan.

New Group artistic director Scott Elliott says “The Starry Messenger” will now open Nov. 23.

The play about an astronomy teacher’s affair with a younger woman had been scheduled to open Nov. 16 at the small Acorn Theatre on 42nd Street.

1 man dropped from surrogate case

St. Clairsville, Ohio — A prosecutor has dropped a case connected to two Ohio police chiefs who were accused of snooping on the woman who bore twins for Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick.

Special prosecutor Shawn Hervey said Friday he prefers to have Bruce Callarik testify in the other men’s upcoming trials.

All three were charged with a scheme to steal items from the surrogate’s eastern Ohio home and sell them to paparazzi.

Callarik had previously pleaded not guilty to complicity to receiving stolen property. His lawyer says he will testify truthfully but not necessarily for or against anyone.

Crypt above Monroe doesn’t sell at auction

Los Angeles — Marilyn Monroe isn’t getting a new neighbor anytime soon.

The second auction of the marble mausoleum crypt above Monroe didn’t fetch any bids, according to organizer Eric Gazin of AuctionCause.com. A previous $4.6 million bid for the space fell through in August when Elsie Poncher first attempted to sell off her late husband’s crypt. The new eBay.com auction required a 1 percent to 5 percent refundable deposit to be able to bid.

Gazin says several people were preapproved to bid on the crypt at the Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery, but no one did during the 10-day auction. He says the family is now “weighing their options.” Other celebrities laid to rest at the cemetery include Farrah Fawcett, Rodney Dangerfield, Dean Martin, Jack Lemmon and Eva Gabor.

Colin Farrell welcomes baby boy Henry

Los Angeles — It’s another boy for Colin Farrell.

A spokeswoman for the 33-year-old actor said Friday that Farrell and actress Alicja Bachleda welcomed son Henry Tadeusz Farrell on Oct. 7. The couple met while filming “Ondine.”

Farrell has a 6-year-old son, James Padraig Farrell, with model Kim Bordenave. Farrell won a Golden Globe earlier this year for his role as a hit man in “In Bruges.”

Rapper releases video directed by Ledger

Sydney — An Australian rapper who was a boyhood friend of Heath Ledger has released a music video the star directed shortly before his death.

N’fa Forster-Jones posted the 3 minute, 31 second-clip for his song “Cause An Effect” on his YouTube and MySpace pages on Thursday, along with a video in which he explains how the project came about.

Ledger, the celebrity-shy star of Batman blockbuster “The Dark Knight” and the posthumously released “The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus,” shot a handful of videos for low-profile artists he liked. Ledger died aged 28 in New York from an accidental drug overdose in January 2008.

Forster-Jones, who had been friends with Ledger since they were toddlers in the Australian city of Perth, said the video was shot in one day in the garage of Ledger’s beachside apartment.

“He gave me a call one morning, as he often did at crazy hours, and he’s like, ‘N’fa, I’ve got this idea for a video,”’ the rapper says in the online posting.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.