Archive for Monday, October 19, 2009

Lawrence police identify person of interest, vehicle in Oct. 16 fatal hit-and-run

Suspect vehicle also located in hit-and-run

Friends and family of Rachel Leek, who died after a hit-and-run accident early Friday morning, remember her as a loving, caring person. Services for Leek will be held Thursday in Olathe.

October 19, 2009, 9:43 a.m. Updated October 19, 2009, 11:54 a.m.

Lawrence police have identified a person of interest and located a suspect vehicle in connection with the fatal hit-and-run on Friday that claimed the life of 20-year-old Rachel Leek.

According to a news release Monday morning from Lawrence police, no arrests have been made, the investigation continues, and anyone with information is asked to call police at 832-7509 or the TIPS hot line at 843-TIPS (8477).

Leek was struck by a vehicle while riding her bike about 2:15 a.m. Friday in the 1000 block of Tennessee Street. The Lawrence woman died later that afternoon at Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka.

Police spokeswoman Kim Murphree on Monday said officers hoped to have more information to release about the accident investigation soon.

Cheryl Wright, a spokeswoman for Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson, said Monday that prosecutors had not received any reports from police about the criminal investigation.

Leek was an employee at WheatFields Bakery in downtown Lawrence. WheatFields will be closed Thursday while employees attend services for Leek in Olathe.

Comments

infidel 5 years, 8 months ago

Who is this mystry person of interest?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 8 months ago

Maybe the passenger threw the driver under the bus.

Take_a_letter_Maria 5 years, 8 months ago

"cheeseburger (Anonymous) says… Someone who likely is aware of recent leaving the scene hit-and-run cases in Lawrence and has now had plenty of time to 'dry out.'"

I love your conspiracy theories cheeseburger. As if someone that is stupid enough to get behind the wheel while under the influence is suddenly smart enough to run and hide until they sober up. While in no way defending the person that did this, fleeing is a normal response when you are in trouble. The second worst part (the first being not stopping to render aid to begin with) is that whoever did it hasn't already come forward.

parrothead8 5 years, 8 months ago

Good. I don't care who it is, I just care that s/he gets caught.

gsxr600 5 years, 8 months ago

No name? Why is the title of the story "police identify person of interest" when no one has been identified?

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

Lighten up the information will come once the person has been charged. The D.A has to review the evidence before they are charged.

middlemgmt 5 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like they know who it is. Great work LPD! I hope this gives her family some comfort!

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

They do know who it is. The passenger called it in. The police have spoken to both the driver and passenger. I was sad to hear about the girl's death and now am more sad knowing who the driver was. I just wish people would think before they drive drunk.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 8 months ago

A person of interest is good news. Just get it right.

Isn't this sending the wrong message? Is this the acceptable method of building tax dollar revenues?

It also makes one wonder why THIS COMMISSION lowered the standard for obtaining a bar/Cafe approval????

qwertyuiop 5 years, 8 months ago

okay i know who did it and everything but people need to just chill out with this. stop all the stupid crazy stories (not necessarily on this one but other ones) things are getting done and its all getting figured out there are just a bunch of steps they have to go through so everyone just relax and they already have the person who did it

Tom McCune 5 years, 8 months ago

I was a "person of interest" for a couple of weeks in a hit-and-run pedestrian fatality in 1973. Except I didn't do it. But it took a couple of weeks for the Highway Patrol to figure that out. The only reason I was a "person of interest" was that I drove an old beater with some damage on the front of it that was caused when some lowlife backed into me in a parking lot. I'm kind of glad the LJW didn't publish my name at that time. They did publish the name of the person who actually hit the victim when the perp was arrested, charged, and later convicted, exactly as they should have done.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

Not a friend ( as in someone I hang around with) just someone I have known. Sad because one life is lost forever and two plus their families will be changed forever.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 8 months ago

"merrill (Anonymous) says… A person of interest is good news. Just get it right. It also makes one wonder WHY local developers want to load Lawrence up with more than ever bar like establishments??" There's my nomination for most clumsy transition of the day.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

Take_a_letter_Maria (Anonymous) says… “cheeseburger (Anonymous) says… Someone who likely is aware of recent leaving the scene hit-and-run cases in Lawrence and has now had plenty of time to 'dry out.'”

"I love your conspiracy theories cheeseburger. As if someone that is stupid enough to get behind the wheel while under the influence is suddenly smart enough to run and hide until they sober up."

Try this T_a_l_M, Jake Deckert hid his vehicle and went home to erase his booze cruzin page while drunk (he plead guilty to DWI). Police were unable to check his bac because he hid out until he was sober. No conspiracy theory to it, it does happen

ilovelucy 5 years, 8 months ago

I agree. Leave it to Merrill to blame the developers for living or breathing in this town. Lame, Merrill, lame.

I'm glad that the PD has a suspect. Hope it will comfort the family and all of the friends who lost this amazing girl.

Mandie Eutsler 5 years, 8 months ago

Just a guess, (for all of you who want to name names), if they give out the name of this person of interest, there would be a large crowd of people with thier torches and pitchforks. Put them down people, and be patient.

Zachary Stoltenberg 5 years, 8 months ago

Great sleuthing Smitty, but it's dGso.org. Hope 'ol Asgele has a good story... if that's the right one. (Didn't see anything else that matched.) How sad is it that the comments section has more news than the newspaper!?

Take_a_letter_Maria 5 years, 8 months ago

Did you mean to include a different link Roe? That link says nothing about him going and erasing a webpage while hiding out after the accident. The fact that he admitted to the DUI in his plea agreement would tend to fall in line with the fleeing response as opposed to the well thought out reaction of "I'm drunk and I just hit someone. I'll wait until I'm sober and turn myself in because then it's just leaving the scene and failure to report an accident."

motherof4 5 years, 8 months ago

How sad, my sympathy's go out to the family! She was a beautiful girl!

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

Yeah Roe there is a big diff between the two cases/ The victim in this case was not drunk but the driver was. In the case you refer to both drivers were drunk.

puddleglum 5 years, 8 months ago

comment section has had more rumors than the newspaper, that's true. but they are supposed to print fact, not fox news-style 'allegations' or rumors.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

I just checked the sheriff's site. Neither the driver or the passenger are currently listed as being in custody.

brujablanco 5 years, 8 months ago

Take_a_letter_Maria 5 years, 8 months ago

Once you've finished your reading comprehension classes you can come back and tell me how stupid my comment is py.

somebodynew 5 years, 8 months ago

smitty - if you check the jail log very closely you will see the person you are pointing out is charged in Municipal Court. No way this is the guy.

CeeCee 5 years, 8 months ago

"zstoltenberg (Anonymous) says…

Great sleuthing Smitty, but it's dGso.org. Hope 'ol Asgele has a good story… if that's the right one. (Didn't see anything else that matched.) How sad is it that the comments section has more news than the newspaper!?"

I wonder if the person listed below Asgele is also involved. He was arrested for Interf W/Duties Officer and both of their case numbers are the same. Could he have been the passenger?

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

Take_a_letter_Maria, it was never reported the web page was erased, but many of us who knew the victim found Deckerts page shortly before it was deleted. It was commented on in one of the related articles and links were posted to his page

parrothead8 5 years, 8 months ago

Take_a_letter_Maria, I have to admit that your comment that py commented on WAS kind of confusing.

You said "As if someone that is stupid enough to get behind the wheel while under the influence is suddenly smart enough to run and hide until they sober up." I took that to mean that you thought nobody stupid enough to drive drunk was smart enough to run and hide once they've done something wrong.

I disagree, but that's beside the point, because later in your comment you said that "fleeing is a normal response when you are in trouble," which seems like it contradicts your statement that someone who was drunk wouldn't be smart enough to flee.

Perhaps I am reading your original intent wrong, or perhaps you meant to say it another way, but either way I hope they catch and prosecute the person who took this girl's life, whether or not s/he was drunk when s/he did it.

Ceallach 5 years, 8 months ago

Maria, how young are you? You never heard of Chappaquiddick? Smart people do dumb things every day and when self-interest kicks in - they try to hide it. How else could anyone, drunk or sober, keep driving after hitting someone without knowing if they were alive or dead, needing help or beyond help? They choose to follow the dark side of the force.

4goodnesssake 5 years, 8 months ago

Okay, I know the driver and passengers. I know that besides being drunk IDIOTS 2/3 of them are really good people. I heard that yes, they were all drunk, when they hit miss Leek, they were too drunk to even know what happened, so they continued home. When the woke up the next morning, heard what had happened they all turned themselves in. I'm not making any excuses, so please don't get me wrong. I think that not stopping and helping her was cowardly and stupid! Bless your soul Rachel! But these people that were in the car, they are not bad people. They are just stupid kids, that made a very bad very serious decision to drink and drive! And it is going to cost them for the rest of their lives. I wish that this never had happened. And i pray for Rachel's family and friends. But everyone that is so enthralled in making rash opinions about these people, don't. Like i said, and i am repeating myself, but these people will live with this forever, and im sorry that they made the stupid, ignorant decision to drink and drive.

Take_a_letter_Maria 5 years, 8 months ago

parrot - we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I take the fleeing response as an instinctive thing not a thought out thing. At least you were able to understand what I was getting at though unlike py or ceallach.

I do agree with you regarding the police catching and prosecuting the person who did this. It appears that this person has been identified and hopefully this can be settled so her family can realize some semblence of peace.

Take_a_letter_Maria 5 years, 8 months ago

btw ceallach - Teddy has been sober for over a month now.

run2009trey 5 years, 8 months ago

The persons involved turned themselves in the following morning. I don't know why it took them 4 days to announce it though.

I know the driver and passengers turned themselves in & the driver has not been arrested. There is more to this story and it will come out eventually, but out of respect for everyone involved stop speculating. No one has been booked so you can stop looking at the website for more information. LPD will release the information when they have all their facts straight.

My deepest condolences to Rachel's family & friends.

run2009trey 5 years, 8 months ago

4goodnesssake - THEY did not make the decision to drink and drive. There was only one person driving that night. They are not stupid kids. They are all adults - 2 of which happened to pick the wrong person to drive them home. They are over the age of 21 and therefore able to drink legally. It is not illegal to get drunk...it is however illegal to drive drunk. They thought they had a safe ride home...they made a mistake and they have to live with a guilty consious for the rest of their lives. They defiantly don't need you to blast them as IDIOTS. That just makes you look like one.

CeeCee 5 years, 8 months ago

Hard to imagine that all 3 adults in that car were too drunk to know that they hit something... must have been really, really drunk. It's a wonder they didn't hit anything, or anyone, else.

Jcjayhawk1 5 years, 8 months ago

"..........I love your conspiracy theories cheeseburger. As if someone that is stupid enough to get behind the wheel while under the influence is suddenly smart enough to run and hide until they sober up."

The late great and celebrated Teddy "Chappaquiddick" Kennedy

ralphralph 5 years, 8 months ago

Teddy also made the second bad mistake ... The first one, driving when you are drunk, is a real stupid decision, which may not make you a "bad person". The second one, driving away after knowing that you have hit someone, is a morally depraved decision: that does make you a bad person.

To Recap:
1 - DUI = really stupid person 2 - Hitting someone and driving away = bad person

Zachary Stoltenberg 5 years, 8 months ago

I can't believe people are having a debate about the degrees of "wrongness." They are both wrong, they are both stupid, and they are both the same in the eyes of the Almighty. My heart goes out to this young lady's family and friends. It always seems to hurt more when the person you lost is a good person. It hurts even more when they are taken early and due to the unfortunate actions of another. Let's hope the D.A. and the LPD do their job and follow the due process to a T. I'd like to see those responsible be held accountable in the fullest sense.

Ceallach 5 years, 8 months ago

btw, I understood, I just disagree. If he knew enough to navigate the car away from the scene, he knew he should see about the person he hit. He was drunk, not unconscious, he opted to flee.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

It doesn't matter who thinks those involved are "good people" what they did was wrong. Just for the record the statement about "not realizing" is false. They knew the victim was hit but fled anyway. There is no excuse for that. If a person wants to drink to stupidity thet should stay home to do so.

jackpot 5 years, 8 months ago

my guess is the white Grand Prix type car on the flatbed tow truck. Friday by Perkin's a tow truck followed by an unmarked P.D. car was headed westbound on 23th. If this is the car it had driver side damage. The windshield was crushed almost in front of the driver. The driver had to know they hit something. If this was the car the P.D. had it by 11 A.M. or so on Friday.

4goodnesssake 5 years, 8 months ago

I already stated that i was not making any excuses for them! I also, even knowing them, hope that they get punished to the full extent, but there is so much more about this accident that no one knows about, except the PD. That's why nothing has been released! I was not sticking up for them. I was simply stating what i know. And i know what happened is wrong, that's why its such a debated subject. And no one but their god has the right to judge them for what happened. No one will know what exactly happened but those involved. No one should speculate unless you were there in the car with them. I hope that none of them ever in their lives pick up another drink. And i wish a beautiful life was not taken once again because of a drunk driver. but no one can change what happened.

compmd 5 years, 8 months ago

I don't know what's in the water here, because the LJW posts get crazier by the day.

Let me start with saying first that if you get drunk, and you decide to get behind the wheel and drive, then yes, you are a bad person. Why? Because you don't give a flying fsck about anyone that you could hurt or kill. If you are sober and you allow someone to drive drunk, you are almost as bad, because you take the position of "they aren't my problem, I don't care what happens to anyone else out there."

It is a conscious decision to get drunk. Get rid of your keys if you're going to drink. If you don't, it is a sign of wanton disregard for the safety and well being for every single person you could come across. So yeah, that makes you a pretty damn bad person.

The wild speculation on this board (which is anything but new) is honestly quite revolting. Its pure sociopathic mental masturbation to go "ooh, who could the driver be?!?!?!" all the while spouting out whatever far-fetched ideas you might have. The instant gratification you so desperately desire shows how out of touch with reality many of you are. Suck it up, let the police do their job. You can have your information orgasm when they announce arrest(s).

I despise drunk drivers, I've been hit by two and seriously injured. Let the police do their job and let the courts do theirs. Everything will unfold in time.

Now get off my lawn.

$goodnesssake

Do you deny that both the driver and the owner of the car drank their way through high school?

Do you deny that the owner of the car allowed the driver to operate the car even though the party who owned the car knew the driver was drunk?

Do you deny the the owner of the car told police that they told the driver to go back but the driver refused?

Do you deny that the driver refused to report the crime to the police?

If you answer yes to any of the above questions then you are in complete denial.

It is O.K. to like a person and it is even O.K. to be supportive of a friend but when you justify bad and illegal behavior you enable another to continue to make bad choices. If you want to help your friends encourage them to face what they have done.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

Really? You might try reading a few of your own posts from the past.

beerdrinkingfool 5 years, 8 months ago

wow run2009rey love this one ... It is not illegal to get drunk…it is however illegal to drive drunk. They thought they had a safe ride home…they made a mistake and they have to live with a guilty consious for the rest of their lives.

well it id not illegal t o drink ,but to be drunk it is .just look at the laws. public drunkeness.... drinkiing in public.... DUI ,OUI.....

If you walk down the street drunk you get a night in jail! If you drive a car , bike , skateboard ,lawnmower, or boat drunk , in jail . being drunk is illegal.

having a drink is not . YOU just have to know when to stop .

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm not defending anyone. In truth I have said the complete opposite. True I would have expected better from those who did this. What happened is unacceptable. Had they stopped the end might have been different for the victim. I stated in my first comment on this that I hope they get what is coming to them and that is still the case. I don't for one minute believe the driver and passengers did not know they hit this woman. The condition of the car tells the story loud and clear. That is why the police have impounded the car. Once these people left the scene they made a choice to allow that young woman to die. To me that is homocide just as sure as they put a bullet in her head. Having said that I doubt the penalty will be sufficent in this case. There have been other cases where drunk drivers have killed in this community where the driver got little more than a slap on the hand. A precedence has been set in Lawrence Kansas.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

Maybe. Taht was a plea deal because Deckert turned himself in. The situation here is a little different. The passenger ( who owned the car) was the first to step up and report. To my understanding of this the driver is not so forthcoming. Still there is no BAC recorded on the driver which may have some barring on how the case is handled. I had assumed with all the changes to drunk driving laws that the penalties would be more severe but it appears this is not the case( at least in Douglas County). I am not completely sure but to my recollection the driver in this case has had only one previous accident and it did not involve alcohol. A plea or diversion may be applicable in this case. I am not sure how the D.A. determines eligablity for these things.

grimpeur 5 years, 8 months ago

artichoke said: "Having said that I doubt the penalty will be sufficent in this case. There have been other cases where drunk drivers have killed in this community where the driver got little more than a slap on the hand. A precedence has been set in Lawrence Kansas."

You're correct. The precedent has been set hundreds of times. Every time a DUI is allowed back on the street with a driver's license. Every time a cop, prosecutor or traffic court fails to remove a bad driver from the road. Every time a habitual moving violator is allowed to buy back his license. Every time a killer is allowed to take a fake traffic school class in order to retain a license or otherwise escape the consequences of their bad judgement and disrespect for the law and for other people.

Kris_H 5 years, 8 months ago

grimpeur said,

"It's time to close the loopholes. It's time to start treating the automobile as a deadly weapon with deadly consequences. When people use their car to threaten, endanger, or kill others, that's a crime. It's time to bring criminal charges and send the message that driving is a privilege, not a right, and to start revoking that privilege with a lot more regularity and permanence."

So right. BUT that doesn't stop anyone from driving without a license. There are more of those people out there than most realize, and only a fraction of them ever get caught. You can be taken to jail for driving on a revoked license, but there's still nothing to stop you doing it again when you get back out, if you're not afraid of the possible consequences.

Maybe some community service as a morgue assistant would help cure some of these folks...I dunno.

qwertyuiop 5 years, 8 months ago

whatupdown 5 years, 8 months ago

2nd degree murder please; remember the news story of the Lady DA in New York State getting 2nd degree murder convictions for like cases. The wanton disregard of the driver for the life of the ........

notjustastudent 5 years, 8 months ago

Qwerty- they didn't know the driver was drunk? There is a lot of speculation going on, but that is ridiculous. No sane, sober, logical person would get into a car at that time of night without suspecting that the driver had been drinking. Notice I said drinking, not drunk. It's not whether they've had too much that matters, it's whether they've had any. If the passenger had been with the person and saw them drinking, and they let them drive, that is on them. If they weren't with the person, and they still got in the car assuming the person could drive, that is still on them. I lost a friend in just this way- he got in a car without thinking, and ended up dead on the side of the road.

There is no excuse here. Lawrence is not that big!! There is safe ride, safe bus, and taxis. Leave your car, and come back for it the next day. Have a plan before you have a drink. Do not give me some bs excuse about "safe ride is always too busy" it's not, it never has been when I call, you have to be patient, and I know they say you need an ID, but they never ask. The busses are never full, ever. And then there's taxis. Even it costs you 40 dollars, plus a fine for leaving your car downtown, that's far better than killing someone, or watching someone kill someone.

qwertyuiop 5 years, 8 months ago

i guess that you are right. but the passanger is cooperating and i think that that is good on their part and hopefully nothing will happen to the passanger.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

qwertyuiop (Anonymous) says… ""i would just like to say that not one of you guys is right on anything that happened. The passanger was not drunk. the driver was. the passanger tried to get help but the driver would not stop. that is not the passangers fault. the driver yes was very stupid and should be punished but the passanger came forward and told everything and again the passanger did not know the driver was drunk. "

What sober person would allow an obviously drunk person to drive her car? She knew he was drunk. They had been out drinking together and she has been drinking with him many times before. There are a couple things she should have been thinking about, one is her baby and the other is trusting a drunk person could get her home safely. The passenger cooperating is good but she should have dialed the police at the time of the accident. Not the next day. Even thoough both women are now cooperating it really is too little too late for Rachel Leek. They should have contacted the authorities right away. The driver has lawyered up. He refuses to be accountable. The fact remains the woman who turned her keys over to the drunk male is at fault here and needs to take responsibility too.

brujablanco 5 years, 8 months ago

The fact remains all of this "inside info" should be left up to the authorties to figure out.

ralphralph 5 years, 8 months ago

If the driver wouldn't stop or go back, did no one else have a cell phone to call 911?
I have to believe they had a phone. I have to believe they could have called to get help sent. Evil people.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

I agree ralph. Calling right away could have completely changed the outcome.

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

possibly she would have lived. Also then there is the possibility of getting the drivers BAC and charges could have been filed then, reducing speculations and the running around that the DA currently has to do.

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

They werent thinking. And apparently driver has no concious. They should have called someone.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

first: what cheseburger and compmd said!

you drive drunk, you're plain wrong and endangering all of us. you should lose your license, your car, and your freedom for a while, even for first offense.
you hit someone, you stay to render assistance, you're still at fault but you're doing the right thing at that moment.
you ignore somebody you've hit and drive away, you ae scum. personally, I think death penalty would be appropriate.

in the comments, there's at least two narratives of the hit and run now.

when ljworld has information, they'll report it. I'm sure some of what's above is speculation.

and again Merrill plugs his own special agenda ... zzz.

qwertyuiop 5 years, 8 months ago

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

Thats speculation, unless you, qwertyuiop, was the other party in the vehicle. The only people who know what happened that night are the people in the car and Rachel, and well she cant say anything now. Leave it to the police to give out that kind of info.

kthxbi 5 years, 8 months ago

qwertyuiop- What was she supposed ot do?

What would you have wanted her to do if you had been in Rachel's place?

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

Doing something is a whole hell of a lot better than doing nothing...and waiting days before turning in the driver(which you would think the driver would have had some remorse for what happened and had done it himself) Fifteen min. could have saved her life. She could have done something.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

qwertyuiop (Anonymous) says… artichokeheart yes she did need to think about her baby but she made a mistake. and she couldn't of called the police because the driver took her phone from her so what was she supposed to do? no phone and stuck in the car with him.

Then that is mistake #3 = poor choice of friends. I will stand on it could have and should have been reported sooner. Check your timeline it does't look good no matter how you present it.

ralphralph 5 years, 8 months ago

"Stuck in the car" until when? The car struck a person, the car drove on = the people in the car decided that keeping themselves out of trouble was more important than the life of the person they hit. Evil people.

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

She could have told someone after she got out. Turned him in. Sometimes when bad and horrific things happen, and you are the one to blame you have to take responsibility for it instead of running to save your own hide. If they wanted to drink like grown people, and get behind that wheel, well they need to take the responbility for their bad choices, that cost Rachel Leeks her life.

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

Being one with a child myself, you would think the passenger would be a little more responsible than that; being a mother and all. Knowing the drivers behavior; she let him drive ayways. They werent strangers.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

When you are confused as to what to do call your mother or anyone elses mother. I can guarntee one or the other would have gotten out of bed to go with you to the police station.

Lawrence_Local 5 years, 8 months ago

This is ridiculous! Not that I don't love getting the "inside info" from you guys, but come on! I just hope that if anyone I know ever gets in any kind of trouble, their dumb friends don't jump on LJW and start fighting over details that the police haven't even released yet. Isn't there an investigation going on?!?! Stupid - yet still highly entertaining to watch people defend someone obviously in the wrong! My thoughts and prayers are with Rachel's family and friends. They are the ones needing our support - not the winners driving/riding around town drunk (with babies at home!)

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

The police know everything that has been posted here.

Take_a_letter_Maria 5 years, 8 months ago

"Pywacket (Anonymous) says… Maria, once you get your GED, you can come back and admit to us all what a little twerp you were. Get over yourself."

Ooooo, ouch, you really stung me with that one py. I don't think I'll ever be able to recover.

btw, it's never been about me. It's been about the difference between an instinctive response to flee a dangerous situation or a thoughtful (though thoughtless) and purposeful decision to run after committing this terrible offense. Once again, I am not defending the perp, just pointing out an alternative reaction. As ceallach and parrot have pointed out, they understand my point but disagree with me which they are certainly are entitled to do and we'll co-exist just fine. We'll probably even agree on things elsewhere down the line. You however would prefer to remain on the offensive as opposed to admitting there is a legitimate alternate point of view. Who know if we'll ever find a common ground.

In the mean time, I hope that this is all settled (the perp getting himself turned in, and the passengers admitting their fault as well) before Rachel's funeral services at the end of the week.

Lawrence_Local 5 years, 8 months ago

artichokeheart - I'm sure the police do know everything - but when it hasn't been released to the PUBLIC, there's usually a good reason for it. If you want to take it upon yourself to bypass the workings of an ongoing investigation, by all means... Like I said - I'm highly entertained, but it still comes across as pretty irresponsible...

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

Leave it to the police to "entertain" with the details and leave it be

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

I feel like since the police have known who it was for days that the arrest should have already been made.

brujablanco 5 years, 8 months ago

I agree mom_of_one, but, you see, that would screw up enforcer's tabloid style efforts. I don't think she cares about responsibility.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

Lawrence local it isn't like half the town doesn't know this stuff anyway.

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

Needless to say, enforcer's tabloid style or not, its their business and when the public needs to know, we will.

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

artichokeheart, that might be a possibility, but isn't your place, if you know the details, to defuldge them; unless you are a party involved of course.

Lawrence_Local 5 years, 8 months ago

yet "half the town" isn't on here arguing over who was/wasn't drunk, who could/could not call the police... and "half the town" probably learned most of their "stuff" from your posts!

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

Not so at all. I was posting on this subject long before I knew who was at fault. I said then and maintain now that this is a low priority. The convictions in these types of crime prove it.

igby 5 years, 8 months ago

This poor girl laid there dieing while these people fled the accident location to protect their own A$$. That's what it really boils down too. Just how long did she lay there broken?

They could of got her medical help right away, but know, they chose to hide themselves in shame.

Their sentence should be doubled for this crime against humanity. The Driver and the passengers are both guilty of this crime against humanity. The driver, for DUI and man slaughter. They should all get jail time.

Kash_Encarri 5 years, 8 months ago

igby, you bring up a good question. How long did Rachel lay there? The original stories on this stated a neighbor heard something outside and found her when he went to investigate. While leaving the scene was beyond callous, would Rachel have received assistance any quicker if they had stopped and called like they should have?

I am glad that it appears they have the parties identified, and I hope that the charges against both the driver and passenger(s) are stiff. I don't know if Rachel would have survived either way though and that is the real tragedy of this entire situation.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 8 months ago

artichokeheart (Anonymous) says…

"Lawrence local it isn't like half the town doesn't know this stuff anyway."

I didn't know any of this stuff, arti. I'm sure there's a lot more than half the town that didn't have a clue...

"The police know everything that has been posted here."

Yes, and they're supposed to be only ones that know these details, outside of people who are directly connected to the incident, or are related to those involved.

Personally, I think you should have some respect for those involved and the LPD and keep your big mouth shut. Let them do their job. It sounds like they've got it under control without your help, Chatty Cathy.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey I wasn't the one that described the car and I have never named names. Others have said far more than I have. As I already said I voiced my thoughts on this long before I knew who it was. If it is so under control why take so long to arrest the guy? Because this is typical of Lawrence.

institches 5 years, 8 months ago

I have serious concerns with the depth and width of your knowledge, artichokeheart. I hope that all your "good information" does not compromise the outcome of this case. Seriously, take some advise, never miss an opportuntity to shut up.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

Why would I compromise the case? I want to see the laws become stronger in these situations. Gosh I know a guy that has had his DL suspended, revoked terminated, denied etc. He keeps driving drunk getting arrested and going to jail. Never stops him at all. The way the law deals with this kind of crime is exactly why people keep leaving the scene of these accidents. It is time for them to come down hard on these crimes and send a message that if you flee you will get the book thrown at you. Zero tolerance is the bottom line.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

I also would like to point out that I voiced outrage at this before I knew who it was and despite now knowing I still stand firm on wanting this person to be held accountable. It isn't like he smashed his own car into a pole because he was over the limit. He hit and killed a person while driving someone elses car. ( from the discription of another poster it appears pretty badly) If they slap this guy on the wrist he isn't really out anything but a few hundred dollars in court cost.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

artichokeheart (Anonymous) says…

I feel like since the police have known who it was for days that the arrest should have already been made.

---note, Artichokedheart/enforcer is such an expert in police procedure...perhaps from being arrested so many times herself?

is Artichokedheart so stewpidd she doesn't understand that her blather could compromise the legal process, or the ongoing investigation?

no, more like she has a big ax to grind with lpd and this story is yet another rock.

yet another loser who applies a personal agenda to the death of a bright and beautiful young lady.
she is no better than merrill or seamus.

I wouldn't trust any of the 'inside information' she claims to have, either.

somebodynew 5 years, 8 months ago

OK, people and LJW, KCBC Chanell 9 in their news "teaser" said there has been an arrest. I can't find any stories on it - anybody????

Freestater456 5 years, 8 months ago

faithful 5 years, 8 months ago

Please, are you serious? YOU are tired of dealing with what?!? If you WERE involved in this DEATH- that's what it was- death; end of a human life; someone's daughter/girlfriend/best friend gone- I don't really care that you are tired. The people that loved Rachel are tired! Tired of crying! Tired of wondering if there was something they could have done! Tired of wondering why someone would leave her there to die! YOU "LilLady" (term used loosely) are pathetic.

Freestater456 5 years, 8 months ago

LilLady you're tired of dealing with this? You are pissed about being interrogated? How do you think Rachels family and friends feel about this? They have to live with this the rest of their lives! You will probably forget about it in a month you selfish %!&@$. Get over yourself and try to be a decent human being. Maybe try to think about her family and friends before yourself and your stupid alcoholic friends. And if you want me to say this to your face just tell me when and where.

livetocook 5 years, 8 months ago

This thread is on its last thread so to speak. Please, take a break.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

This is not about the police it is about how the D.A. files charges in these situations. Somebody needs to go back and re-read the posts related to this topic. LilLady I will be glad to tell you to your face what I think of this situation. I do not buy for a minute that you could not have contacted the police sooner. Did you know that if you pull the keys from the ignition that the car stops? But then this is not the first time you and the driver have been involved in a drinking/driving acccident is it? Of course you were the driver the last time weren't you? It is a darn shame you had to talk to detective for hours after running a innocent person down and leaving her to die. The way I see it you are 50% responsible since you handed the keys to your car over to a person you knew was drunk. I checked the sheriff site and the so far none are in custody. That doesn't mean they weren't arrested and bailed out already though.

LadyJ 5 years, 8 months ago

I am amazed that LilLady would come on here and not express one statement of remorse for what happened or the death it caused. Instead she is outraged that people are expressing their anger over the unnecessary loss of life. That in itself is so sad, but unfortunately so typical of many of today's youth, not all but many. Society taught them to be self centered in the last several years. Schools have them do volunteer work so it looks good on college and job applications, but many only do it so it looks good. Having come very close to losing a child my heart breaks for the girl's parents. Too bad LilLady could find any sympathy for what she and her friend are putting that family through. Sad indeed.

Kash_Encarri 5 years, 8 months ago

Lilbiotch - if I knew who you were, I would gladly tell you to your face what I think about you. You are spoiled, self-centered and heartless. If your actions on the night that Rachel was killed didn't reflect that, your postings on this forum do. As LadyJ points out, there is not one ounce of remorse in your postings. You are only mad because you have been inconvenienced by having to talk with the police about what happened. Well boo-frickin-hoo, I'm sure Rachel wouldn't mind being inconvenienced like that right now.

To Rachel's family and friends - I really hope you aren't reading this crap being posted on here by a bunch of anonymous people. If for some reason you are though, I am sorry for adding to your grief by making my own comments. Most of all though, I am sorry for your loss. I did not know Rachel, but from what I have read and heard about her since this tragic event she is someone that I would have liked to have known.

kansasmutt 5 years, 8 months ago

It is sad this gal passed on, but to ride a bike, in Lawrence , at nite, is not something anyone should do or even concider doing.A car is not safe in that town. I dont know if the gal had lights on the bike ( never said in the reports on the LJW) but i would almost bet money she didnt. 99% do not have lights or a mirror and ride like they own the streets. I see most think it was a drunk who hit her, well, as far as i see and read, nothing has been said about drinking or anything else.Who knows , might have been a grandma going to pick up medicine or ? Again, it is sad to see a young person die , but you have to wonder WHY ride a bike in Lawrence at nite ? I would put the odds at a 25% chance youl make it 10 blocks with the non drivers who roam the streets of Lawrence. Factor in the crap streets that make you swerve every 25 foot to miss a hole or debris, i am suprised anyone can drive in that town.

poppygirl 5 years, 8 months ago

My question is by no means to reflect any disrespect to Rachel or family members, but I have wondered if the possibility of her operating her bicycle under the influence as well had any factor in this accident. Just wondering why one would be out at 2:15 am riding their bicycle. I don't recall reading anywhere where she had been prior to this accident.

tanaumaga 5 years, 8 months ago

it's not really that safe to ride a bike at that time of night...o.k. point taken....but in that area , at that time of night, it's starting to not be that safe to do anything....looking out for drunk drivers, getting mugged by bums and wannabe gangsters traveling 'the bum superhighway' between downtown and campus...and yes, a very high percentage of drivers in that area, that time of night are hammered. checkpoints for sixth st. , ninth, tenn, and kentucky streets will stop those drunks cold.

Nick Adams 5 years, 8 months ago

Has it been proven 100% that Rachel was not under the influence? It is obviously a tragedy and I am certainly not trying to make light of the situation, but it is a question I have not seen asked.

poppygirl 5 years, 8 months ago

rkchjayjk - see my comment above, has been in the back of my mind as well. Perhaps some of the reason for the investigation still going on.

Take_a_letter_Maria 5 years, 8 months ago

poppy and rkchk, while it may or may not have been a contributing factor in the event, Rachel's level of impairment (if any) does not excuse the driver not stopping to provide assistance or coming forward of their own cognition. I don't care how scared you might be, do the right thing and own up to your actions.

poppygirl 5 years, 8 months ago

I agree totally Maria that a phone call for help should have been made,REGARDLESS, but was just wondering if both parties were impaired at this time of the evening.

Nick Adams 5 years, 8 months ago

Maria, In no way was I even trying to dismiss the irresponsible and sad actions displayed by those in the car. I just wondered if it could be a potential reason for the length of the investigation.

kmat 5 years, 8 months ago

I feel so sorry for Rachel's friends and family.

Those that are going off that maybe she was drunk and why would she be riding a bike at night - her transportation was that bike. That's how she got around, just like a lot of people in Lawrence. It seems like some are trying to say that this crime was partly her fault. That is just sick and sad.

I do find it amusing that LilLady would get on here and talk and threaten people and ask them to meet her face to face. I don't think she's intelligent enough to understand that (1) her name will most likely be made public and (2) because she will be charged as well since she was involved in the crime. It doesn't matter whether you are cooperating with the police, if what has been said is true she let a drunk person drive her car and kill someone. She is just as responsible. And obviously not too smart because she's being threatening and there are many people outraged over this crime that may just want to take her up on her offers.

It probably won't make any difference, but hopefully this tragic story will at least make some other idiots think twice before driving drunk. We need a lot more sobriety checks in this town and a lot of hard punishments handed out for the crime.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

LilLady89: You, my dear, are an idiot. You may not want to say anything further on here until you consult an attorney, if you haven't already.

brujablanco 5 years, 8 months ago

This is pitiful, LJW. First the reincarnation of enforcer starts her usual "I know everything about everyone and I'm gonna tell it" crap, and now Marion chimes in with his lame old man from afar "knowledge" cough, cough. Disgustingly contemptible. Leave the parties of this tragedy alone.

suzy 5 years, 8 months ago

It aggravates me that people are even bringing up the idea of Miss Leek riding her bike while intoxicated. Even if she was, she chose to ride her bike--not get into a car-- turn on the ignition, and drive around while intoxicated (if this indeed is the case with the suspects involved). As we have seen with this story, and countless others, driving a car while under the influence of anything can cause a lot of death and destruction to everyone involved.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Rachel Leek's family, friends, and co-workers. Although I never met her, I do remember her beautiful smile as she waited on me at Wheatfields. I hope tomorrow that you can celebrate her beautiful life and what she lived for.

n8iveking4 5 years, 8 months ago

who rides around at 215 in the morning anyway?..

somebodynew 5 years, 8 months ago

Question for lillady - were you the one "asleep in the back seat" (where have I heard that before!!), or was it the other one???? Just curious.

soaplvr 5 years, 8 months ago

Just an FYI LilLady89 was not in the car at the time of the accident. You people think you know the story but have no clue. I was not in the car either but the truth will all come out and you all will be eating your words. You guys are getting insane and you better know your facts before spreading any more crap. LilLady89 is pretending to be someone she isn't and she better knock it off.

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

Leave justuce up to those who have the adequate understanding of the information of the case and listen not to those with thoughts and opinions of the facts at hand.

soaplvr 5 years, 8 months ago

well Marion if you knew the identity of lillady89 you would know she wasn't in the car. I know her name and I know who was in the car. I know the facts and you don't. Why don't you grow up and leave this investigation to the pros. All of you people, especially artichoke thinks you know it all and none of you know a thing.

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

patience is a virtue and i believe serval people here need to learn it.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

Fact: A carload of drunks hit a woman on a bike.

Fact: They fled the scene instead of offering assistance.

Fact: They did not report the crime or their involvement until well after the woman died.

Fact: One isn't talking.

Fact: the other two are claiming they were victims and making excuses.

Personality conflicts on this forum aside.They killed a woman and should be charged with everything possible under the law. There are alot of people posting alot of information. This information isn't just falling from the sky. The owner of the car and passenger are talking to alot of people and those people are passing it on. In the end a innocent woman has died; that is all that matters.

Charles Branson charge these people!

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

They cannot justify leaving that woman to die and neither can you. BTW it seems you have some problems controling yourself as well.

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

LilLady98 They do all this because they apparently have nothing else to do but stick their nose in where is does not belong. They made assumptions that arent true and are just trying to start a lynch mob. This is a horrific ordeal. Everyone needs to relax and wait for the details to emerge as they will. A young woman died, the people involved chose to make a decision that wasn't wise. Lets keep Rachel's memory of her life, let the police deal with the details, and let the public wait for the arrest to be made.

somebodynew 5 years, 8 months ago

lillady - either anger management classes or stay off these boards if you can't take it. Wow, talk about controlling yourself ........

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

There is no excuse for leaving a person to die.

Charles Branson charge these people!

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

somebodynew it is also true that this is a public forum, free speach. People shouldnt take things so personally. But some use this as an outlet to say things uncalled for and point fingers. It makes them feel good to make snide remarks as they hide behind the computer monitor, with their keyboard as a weapon.

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

This is a sad thing. It hits home, a live as taken, at too young an age, the parties are residents here, they did turn over themselves and the information needed to pursue with the investigation. They could have ran from that too, but they didnt. They are doing it now. No, they should have done it then, but they cant change it now, just move forward and do whats right. Justice will be served.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

And bears sh#t in the woods.

There is no excuse for leaving a person to die.

Charles Branson charge these people!

mom_of_one 5 years, 8 months ago

yes Marion, and sometimes a skunk comes out of those bushes, and well, then you need a tomato bath.

LadyJ 5 years, 8 months ago

Sorry LilLady, if this had been a death that occurred in a private residence between people that knew each other, then maybe you could say it's none of our business. But the fact is a young woman was killed because complete strangers got drunk and drove a car on a "public" street. This death occurred on public property therefore it is our business. I'll bet that n8iveking4 is a friend of the people involved if not one of the people involved. New account started today just to make it sound like it was the victim's own fault. She had every legal right to be where she was unlike the driver in the car. It is public outrage that gets things changed when people see something happening that is just wrong.

somebodynew 5 years, 8 months ago

mom- trust me, I understand that concept and sometimes fall prey to it also (ranting and raving) but to call people out for responding to it, just shows a lack of understanding (or typical attitude for people of that age it seems). I have no problem with people posting their feelings on here, but I think lillady (I refuse to capitalize the names) took people to task and said they needed to control themselves - then she is more out of control than the others.

And - lillady " But the truth needs to be put out there one way or another! " OK, so put it out there. It seems as though (at least according to you) the police have done their investigation and are just waiting for charges to be filed, so why don't "you" put the truth out there since you seem to be the person who knows.

Oh, and BTW - I would not be afraid to meet you face to face to talke about this.

soaplvr 5 years, 8 months ago

artichokeheart, I do believe I know who you are and I would not be casting stones because you are no Angel.

broken_promises 5 years, 8 months ago

This is soooo sad to read what all of you have to say, yes, it is a free country to do what you want to do and say what you want to say, but come on people........ If you have any ounce of respect for others then try not to post tomorrow, go to the funeral, pay your respects, get away from your computer, somethin. This kind of tragedy could happen to any one of us, on both ends. So watch what you say. especially you artichokeheart, i dont know you but i have a pretty good idea of where you come from. So when the fit hits the shan, where will you be? What is it that you really want to accomplish by all your comments? You sound desperate for something, NOTHING you say or do will change who you are. Why don't all of you give this a rest. Go find your loved ones and give them a hug, tell them how much you love them. Think about how Rachels family wishes they could do that right now, instead they're probobly sitting, grieving, sobbing uncontrollably, ever so often they might get a feeling of peace, and then the hurt comes back. And think about the ones who made this horrible mistake, all the way around, they have to live with this for the rest of their lives, in jail and out...... Just a thought, but i wonder how many of you that made a comment on here have ever drove while intoxicated and got away with it.????????? Like i said before, this could've happened to any one of us. No disrespect to Rachel and her loved ones whatsoever.. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Rachel and the families whos lives will be changed forever. Now all of you impatient human beings...... lets have a moment of silence for Rachel.............................................................................................. ....................................................................................................................... .....................................................................................................................

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

There is no excuse for leaving a person to die.

Charles branson charge these people.

Beelzebub 5 years, 8 months ago

"Charles branson charge these people."

He will after he puts all the facts together so that he's got a solid case and the dirtbags who did this can't slide out on some technicality. If they had stopped and reported or tried to help the girl, then manslaughter. But leaving the scene? Driver should get life without parole. The party-girls manslaughter, aiding and abetting, conspiracy to obstruct justice.

You bet the DA and cops are pissed about this case. Let's hope they take their time and do it right.

Beelzebub 5 years, 8 months ago

"Jeez, get a life choke." If this is directed to me then FYI I have a life, loved ones, and plenty to keep me busy. I eat at Wheatfield's regularly and this girl was a nice kid. This "comment" thing on LJW is out of control, and has become just a forum for a lot of frustrated losers and know-it-all types to spew their crap and pretend to be somebody. LJW ought to shut it down. And posters on THIS little forum ought to STFU and let the police and Branson's office deal with the scumbags who killed that girl. Have a nice day.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

You know Beel when I first heard about this I was blown away that someone would hit a person flee. Then when I heard who it was I felt alot of different things. Even with that I cannot accept anyone even someone I know to leave a woman to die. I have thought alot about this including what if this had happened to me?, what if I were a passenger?, what if were a person in my family? I would have called the police. I would not run home and blog about. I would not spend two days texting the other people in the car talking about. I would not have called all my buddies and continued to drink. I would have stopped the car by whatever means and called the police. Some who have posted think they know me and they well may. Having said that they darn well know I would have stopped and called the police. If it were a member of my family and they came to me to say this happened they know I would have called the police. If it were a close friend who came to tell me they did this they know I would have called the police. If it were a scorned ex they know I would have called the police. If you ask any police or public official that knows me they know I would have called the police. The other posters who claim to know me ( if they really do) know i would have called the police. I am aware th wheels of justice are slow but these people need to be charged. We have seen the D.A. amend charges before. There is no excuse for leaving a person to die. These people need to be charged.

Beelzebub 5 years, 8 months ago

I agree completely, Artichoke. I don't know who you or anyone else on this forum is and I don't want to know. If I or a member of my family or someone I knew had killed that girl I would have pretty mixed emotions about it. But everyone is (or should be) responsible for their actions. Period.

brujablanco 5 years, 8 months ago

So contradictory hillbilly and beelze; artichokeheart is doing nothing but stirring the pot, this will not help in the gathering of facts, and the incessant demands to Branson with not bring charges any sooner. But, hey if it makes her feel better about the wrong that has been done in her life, so be it. You are so on point beelze - just a bunch of losers with no life stirring the pot.

Tony88 is right - this is not helping the case nor the grief.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

The reason anyone who knows me knows i would have called the police is because I have. Those throwing such fits about me posting may know from first had experience. Nobody has lived a perfect life but some people use what they have learned to make it better.

brujablanco 5 years, 8 months ago

It's not better, tony, just kinda sad, really. Makes some feel important I guess. BTW - false police reports are a waste of tax-payer monies chokie. Nobody is sceered of ya.

verity 5 years, 8 months ago

Regarding Artichoke's comment yesterday at 5:17 am, "Did you know that if you pull the keys from the ignition that the car stops?"

No, it doesn't. Please DO NOT ever do that in a moving vehicle. That is always a very bad idea. The car does not immediately stop and there is a good likelihood that both the brakes and the steering will stop working. Then you have an out-of-control vehicle.

I know that from trying to coast down a hill once. Fortunately I was able to start the vehicle in time to avoid a crash. If the key had not been in the ignition, I would probably be dead.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

The driver was already out of control hitting an innocent biker and fleeing.

Lawrence_Local 5 years, 8 months ago

artichokeheart - it's as if you have to comment and respond to everything - whether or not it makes any sense... or is even necessary... what do you do all day?

verity 5 years, 8 months ago

And pulling the keys out of the ignition could have meant that everybody in the car ended up dead. I'm certainly not defending what happened, I'm just saying never pull the keys out of the ignition of a moving vehicle---just in case somebody read that and thought it was a good idea without thinking about what would actually happen.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

As is usually the case, this thread has gone off topic. For those of you who don't know what that lever/pedal/handle marked 'Parking Brake' or 'Emergency Brake' is for, if your vehicle engine stops or for other unknown reasons your steering and brakes fail consider using the parking /emergency brake as the last resort. That's what it's for....

been_there 5 years, 8 months ago

I have never agreed with "no bikes on sidewalks" as long as the cyclist doesn't run someone over. How about the sidewalk on one side of the street down Tennessee and Kentucky be made "bike friendly" that way pedestrians can use the sidewalk on the other side if they don't want to deal with bikes. Bikes would need to have lights so pedestrians can see them coming. Just an idea.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

Um What do I do all day? That's nunya. I can tell you that I didn't run an innocent person down and leave them to die.

Charles Branson charge these people.

somebodynew 5 years, 8 months ago

donald_ it is not because the City doesn't believe there aren't enough bicyclists, it is because the two streets you mention are too narrow for actual bike lanes. They would have to remove parking, and that ain't happin' in the Oread neighborhood.

Been_ The only place bikes on sidewalks are specifically banned is in the downtown area because of the pedestrian traffic. In fact part of the authorized "bike path" (officially marked and everything) uses part of Ky St. At least it used to several years ago when I used it consistently. The other problem is that a lot of the sidewalks are in such bad shape, you couldn't ride a bike on them anyway.

Katara 5 years, 8 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says… “artichokeheart (Anonymous) says…

Fact: A carload of drunks hit a woman on a bike.

Fact: They fled the scene instead of offering assistance.

Fact: One isn't talking.

Fact: the other two are claiming they were victims and making excuses.”

Marion writes:

And their freinds, it would seem!

Well put Artie and accurate!

Rattling the bushes to see what comes out sometimes yields interesting results. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marion (Marion Lynn) says…

Ya, know, I remember an alcohol-fueled drive from Olathe, Kansas to Denver in a Maserati Mistrale Spyder; a raven-haired beauty in the passenger seat. blue skies and a clear highway.

Sometime around 1975.

There was room behind the seats for the cooler.

About a week later, we returned and of course, all Hades broke loose……………………………………

And I said, “No, no, no, no! I don't do that no more!” http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/autie/2009/oct/21/a-message-from-god/#c1026479 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Looks like there is a skunk that came out of the bushes, momofone. His name is Marion. How stocked up are you on tomato juice?

blackwalnut 5 years, 8 months ago

I hope the city commission will consider finally adding some bike paths, as so many college towns have done. Lawrence needs bike paths much more than some of the expensive projects being proposed, like an ice rink or yet another rec center so the folks in west Lawrence don't have to drive 3 miles to the ones that is already there on Clinton Parkway.

incognitomesqweeto 5 years, 8 months ago

blackwalnut 5 years, 8 months ago

incognito:

I thought someone did come out of their residence immediately on hearing the crash and called for help.

local_support 5 years, 8 months ago

"I hope the city commission will consider finally adding some bike paths, as so many college towns have done."

Also more street lights and flashing pedestrian signs to fire up at night. In fact aren't there already flashing yellow lights on a speed limit sign right around 13th and Tenn? They are for the school zone but it would be easy to flip the switch on Friday and Saturday night as well.

I wonder if anyone has seriously considered this option. Anything to make drivers more aware of all the pedestrians running around at night would be a good thing.

incognitomesqweeto 5 years, 8 months ago

im just sayin everyone should be more careful. We are in a college town you have to watch everything possible to be safe. I mean we need to have more precautions everywhere for everyone. Since obviously this has happened on more than one occassion you would think we would have a better idea of what not to do I mean you cant even walk around campus and be safe. Sorry if i offended anyone cause my comment got slashed but really if everyone was a little more watchful and the college kids would just learn .. hey drinking plus driving equals bad we would all be better off let alone we have normal people from town doing it too. If they could police more on drunken driving that would be awesome obviously we need more of that

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

painting a line in the street to mark a bike lane ain't gonna do squat to protect bicyclists against a drunk driver. no, how about real hard prosecution?

Katara 5 years, 8 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says… Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says…

/giggles at katara's moment of glory. Wonders if Marion said a curse word aloud before he too laughed when he read that.”

Marion writes:

Multi, Katara didn't have a “moment of glory”.

He/she/it had a moment of self-indulgence but what else is new?

You see, the Katara Thing pulls a post from a thread about alcohol; stories thereof and places it into a thread about a young woman brutally killed and turns that post into an attack on me solely for whatever sick vicarious satisfaction It derives from so doing.

Pretty darned disgusting that the likes of Katara; whatever sort of sub-human, mentally ill thing it might be, cannot resist Ad Hominem attacks in the midst of concern, mourning and loss.

Pathetic.

I find nothing to laugh about in Katara's so-called “moment of glory” but only pity. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Nope. What is pathetic is someone getting all self-righteous about a drunk driver who killed someone and then goes and brags about their own "alcohol-fueled" driving on the same forum. What is even more pathetic and certainly not deserving of any pity is that this is not the first time you've bragged on LJW about driving drunk.

There is no "moment of glory" about showing you to be the dangerous hypocrite that you are. People should be aware of it and avoid you like the plague.

Yo go ahead and insult me all you want, Marion. It doesn't change the fact that you regularly engaged in the same type of behavior that killed Ms. Leek. It doesn't change the fact that you've bragged about engaging in that same type of behavior on LJW. You make light of the tragedy that occurred when you do and it shows great disrespect to Ms. Leek and her family and to every one else who has experienced a loss thanks to drunk drivers like you.

Kris_H 5 years, 8 months ago

None of this will make a damn bit of difference to the poor dead woman and those who cared about her.

And bike lanes won't make a difference, either. Nothng will, unless every single solitary person realizes that the decision to get into the driver's seat after any amount of any kind of impairing substance is a decision to maim and murder.

quisp 5 years, 8 months ago

So this is it, then? Nothing is going to happen?

After a week with no charges, no ID, no nothing, it really feels like the highers up are just letting this thing slide. What gives?

slang4d 5 years, 8 months ago

Why no arrests yet? Since when is vehicular manslaughter not a crime?

I see an awful lot of complaining about drunk driving here but no one brings up any possible solutions. Whining won't solve a thing. How about we make mass street a traffic free zone on weekends and have checkpoints at the exit of every public parking lot? Oh, that requires work, money, and manpower. Never mind, let's just keep adding to the list of victims.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 8 months ago

There is no excuse for leaving a person to die.

Charles Branson charge these people!

quisp 5 years, 8 months ago

quisp 5 years, 8 months ago

Ha. I was wondering how long until my comment was deleted for no reason. Only serves to give credence to my theory-- that the perp must have some big friends in this town to have slipped away uncharged for this long.

motomom 5 years, 8 months ago

seriously...does anyone know why there has been such silence?

quisp 5 years, 8 months ago

Tony, if you have a better explanation as to what's holding up the boat, I'm all ears.

brujablanco 5 years, 8 months ago

Sunny Parker 5 years, 8 months ago

If there were two others in the car also, will they both be charged?