Archive for Friday, October 16, 2009

Interracial couple denied marriage license

October 16, 2009

— A white Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have.

“I’m not a racist. I just don’t believe in mixing the races that way,” Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. “I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else.”

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

“I try to treat everyone equally,” he said.

Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2 1/2 years.

Beth Humphrey, 30, who is white, and 32-year-old Terence McKay, who is black, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

Comments

mom_of_three 5 years, 2 months ago

Even in the 21st century. So does he think when he marries 19 year old white kids, the marriage will last?

coolmom 5 years, 2 months ago

i am not a racist? what the heck does he think a racist is?

supertrampofkansas 5 years, 2 months ago

"Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long."

Uh yeah right and most "other" marriages do? (said with "piles" of sarcasm)

“I have piles and piles of black friends."

Piles? As in a piles of $#!+? Oh no no no we're not racist are we.

somedude20 5 years, 2 months ago

The wow for me, is that there are a few who post here all of the time (LJW blogs) that identify with this racist. Maybe dumb rednecks should not be allowed to marry as they will surely had dumb redneck kids

Satirical 5 years, 2 months ago

I am fairly certain (see "absolutely positive") this is unconstitutional.

Satirical 5 years, 2 months ago

somedude20... "Maybe dumb rednecks should not be allowed to marry as they will surely had dumb redneck kids"

But then you wouldn't be around : )

Amy Heeter 5 years, 2 months ago

Double wow and somebody needs to put a boot in this Judge's butt to kick his sorry arse off the bench to the curb.

somedude20 5 years, 2 months ago

Satirical, Well, I am from PA (you know Pennsylvania) so you need to change your insult towards me to "hillbilly" as "we" have many ( have you heard of these) hills around rather than "you people" who only have "rednecks" since you are really devoid of hills. =)

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

yeh, biracial kids sure do come out really screwed up. just look at mariah carey... derek jeter... halle berry... alicia keys... sade... tiger woods... and that big time loser barack obama.

brujablanco 5 years, 2 months ago

Make up your mind artigag - you have stated on more than one occasion you don't believe in the "mixing" of races, whatever that means in this day and age. So which is it? Are you with Marion the racist or not? Hmmmm?

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

^^^ liberty one, i think anyone who is of legal age and consents to it should be able to get married. two men, two women, one mongolian individual and one argentenian individual, whatever... marriage is a very high, sacred goal for many people and i don't take that away from them. to each their own.

i am not one of those folks tho. been there, done that, didn't like it, and i don't think i'll EVER want to get married again. to ANYone. just not my cup of tea. and i do look at it like a contract-- just like you mentioned. it is a contract between the state and the individuals. plus its another way to bilk money out of folks (marriage licenses are close to or at $100 last i heard-- and for WHAT? why should ANY money be extracted for the state from folks who just want to get married? i'll never get that one...).

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

yep, i agree. we're at risk for all that crap that pretty much anyone else is.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

santini, you speak the truth. aside from sinus problem that i inherited from my white mother, i rarely get sick. i haven't have a flu for over 2 years or a cold for about a year and a half. my boyfriend, who is also a hearty hybrid, very seldom gets sick and my children, who are 2nd generational mutts, are some of the healthiest children i know.

we're taking over. just so y'all know. that's the REAL reason why that judge doesn't want to marry interracial couples.

Jimo 5 years, 2 months ago

"out of concern for any children the couple might have"

We see this same "concern" - usually among the same exact persons - about gay couples adopting children. The line seems to be something like: I'm worried about the prejudice of people like me.

Here's a thought: stop being a bigot.

One thing we've certainly seem in the last year is just how many persons remain bigoted even now in the 21st century - some with television shows and major political leadership positions.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

nope. you don't have to be married to have "half breeds" (love that quaint old-school term. very archie bunkerish). my parents were married when they had my brother and myself, back in the late 60s when it really was quite shocking to see such a thing.

i do have quite a few friends and acquaintances who have given birth to biracial children (black/white; black/hispanic; white/hispanic; white/asian; black/asian; white/native) out of wedlock and in most cases the children are doing just as well if not better than the monoracial children i know who were born out of wedlock. :D

brujablanco 5 years, 2 months ago

Nope artigag, no confusion. How do you sleep at night?

BigPrune 5 years, 2 months ago

Most of everyone in their lineage has some other race mixed in. I know that I am German with some Mongolian mixed in (when Ghengis Khan took over Europe.) If you have squinty eyes chances are you have Mongol in you too, at least that's what a Neurologist once told me.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 2 months ago

Santini I know a few couples that are black women with white men right here in Lawrence Kansas.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

santini, watch the spike lee movie jungle fever. ozzie davis' character breaks it all down perfectly.

that movie is worth watching just for the stellar performance by sam jackson. should've been nominated for best supporting actor for that one.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

sidenote, i think my mom always had a rebellious streak. growing up in a teeny tiny town in southeastern kansas... she always wanted to shake up the status quo. she was an art major in college and was a self-described beatnik in the early 60s.

my dad is a psychologist. weird combo, huh? i think i'm a peculiar person not so much because of my racial mixture but because i am the product of an artist and a therapist. lol ;)

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

and i LOOK sicilian. lol i have been guessed to be damn near every ethnicity under the sun but what i've heard most are either italian/sicilian OR puerto rican. i think i look more PR... i have the long curly hair. that's more indicative to the islands moreso than southern europe.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 2 months ago

I think you see more white person + (insert race) because the majority of the country (especially the midwest) is white.

sundancewierdo 5 years, 2 months ago

Wow, blast from the past! Way to take us back about 50 years. That's mighty kind of you to let "them" use your bathroom...

Jimo 5 years, 2 months ago

Catch Wanda Sykes in her comedy act currently running on HBO about the joys of adopting white kids into a lesbian marriage.

Satirical 5 years, 2 months ago

Autie… “heck, my cousin from Oklahoma married a alien dog man from outer space and we all get along just fine.”

I can accept interracial marriage, but I must draw the line at intergalactic/ interspecies marriage.

First, it is a frakkin dog!!! It’s got four legs and a tail! The children will probably look like something from "The Island of Dr. Moreau".

Second, the dog is from outer frakkin space!!! This could cause problems of intergalactic proportions; especially if his home planet wants to enslave humans and treat them as pets, or if he wants to be the savior of dogs on this planet! Can you imagine the chaos!?! You may get along with this alien canine today, but just you wait until it asks you to fetch something...

50YearResident 5 years, 2 months ago

The Journal World is stirring the pot by only printing 1/2 of this story and conveniently left this out plus a lot more of the story. Shame on you, Journal World! Find the full story at Yahoo News.

"I've been a justice of the peace for 34 years and I don't think I've mistreated anybody," Bardwell said. "I've made some mistakes, but you have too. I didn't tell this couple they couldn't get married. I just told them I wouldn't do it."

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

aaaaaaaaaaw....... you're right, 50yearrez...... that really sheds new light on the situation. poor guy. he's just so misunderstood.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

50year, seriously, all sarcasm aside, what was your point by posting a link to the full story? was that supposed to elaborate on his ideology and/or "principles"? was it supposed to, in some way shape or form, redeem ol' boy and cause us to understand exactly where he is coming from?

in case you didn't read all of the comments in this thread, i am multiracial and yes, my parents were in fact married when both my older brother and i were born. and that was way back in the 60s... to think that someone wouldn't marry a couple in 2009 because they are of different races/ethnicities is stupdifying. ESPECIALLY since our PRESIDENT is the product of a white mother and a black father. whether you like his politics or not, it is pretty obvious that the man is highly educated, successful and has a functioning, happy marriage himself-- and to a black woman (refering back to the fact that neither monoracial blacks or white "accept" people of mixed heritage).

ben harper, the very successful musician, is biracial and is married to laura dern, the actress. they seem to have a very happy, healthy marriage as well. so apparently both ben and barack were "accepted" by monoracial people. so much so that they are married to them.

again, i ask, what the hell was your point? oooh-- i know you're point... its at the top of that little white cap that you wear at those special meetings you attend, right?

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

but you have to go THROUGH the state in order to get married, tom. its not like you can do it independent of the state. you have the get the state's "blessing" in the form of a marriage license.

yes, they could have just went to a different justice of the peace (and i'm pretty sure that's what they'll do), but for someone who is supposed to be a representative of the law-- a representative of the state-- to deny their right to marry solely because of the varying hues of their skin is wrong and there is no tap dancing around that regardless of how liberal or conservative a person may be.

gr 5 years, 2 months ago

"i am not a racist? what the heck does he think a racist is?"

Who was he racist against? Was it the white or the black?

Tom…

Marriage is a civil institution. While historically marriages were solely ecclesiastical, today the state is the only entity which may determine whether a marriage is valid or not.

MyName 5 years, 2 months ago

Gareth Skarka 5 years, 2 months ago

Why am I not surprised that the local conservatards are rushing in to downplay the story or to defend the redneck?

Conservative values in action!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

gr... what a paradoxical condundrum. was it the black or the white?.... that's deep, dude.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 2 months ago

barrypenders (Anonymous) says… He's taking things like capitolism, never having to utilize it himself...

And barrypenders, having never had to spell capitAlism, probably doesn't fully understand it...

Satirical 5 years, 2 months ago

Gareth... "Conservative values in action!"

Wow! This is a story about discrimination and unjust stereotyping and of course you make a fool out of yourself by stereotyping conservatives. If you were unaware before, I am conservative. So in the end you are ignorant just like Keith Bardwell.

Gareth Skarka 5 years, 2 months ago

Satirical, you might have a point -- except that everyone can see the posts made by Tom Shewmon, TheGreatSantini, and their fellows, and see it quite clearly.

In other words -- it's not stereotyping when it's a fact, and there for everyone to see.

It's not like I "made up" their posts, is it?

Gr…

I think one could argue Mr. Bardwell is racist against those of mixed race. Separately, Loving v. Virginia states that the desire to keep the races separate or “pure” is tantamount to believing in white supremacy. So based on the logic in Loving, the answer would be he is racist against African-Americans for not wanting them to "corrupt" the white race. While obviously Bardwell doesn't explicitly declare as much, it is implied through his discriminatory actions.

Gareth…

First, you stereotyped when you stated “Conservative values in action!” So even if some conservative posters' comments were objectively downplaying the store or defending Bardwell doesn't mean those comments to represent the typical values of conservatives.

Second, in no objective sense are the comments made by “TheGreatSantini”, an effort to “downplay the story or to defend the redneck.” So all you are left with are the comments by Tom Shewmon (and who takes him seriously anyway?).

Again, you use comments by one person to stereotype all conservative values. I am not sure whom I feel more pity for, you or Bardwell. At least Bardwell is old and likely grew up thinking racism was okay. What is your defense?

Satirical 5 years, 2 months ago

Dang I wish we could edit our previous posts. So many typos...oh well, it is a blog after all.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

hey, tom isn't all that bad. :) atleast he's not posting the link to the full article and saying "but you haven't read the FULL story!!" lol

i have to say that i agree w/ you, satirical. i don't think that a bigoted buffoon like that judge is representative of conservatives at all. he is a product of his upbringing and, unfortunately, some of the ancient jim crow-era morays of the american south. he's not so much conservative as he is a old dumb ass.

incidentally i just talked to my mom briefly on the phone and told her about that article. she said back in '64, when my mom and dad were married, there was a priest who refused to marry them when he found out they were of different races. however, they could still get a marriage license-- no representative of the state itself was trying to stand in their way. and this was in emporia, kansas.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

sat, i hear ya... my posts are riddled w/ typos. my fingers fly across the keyboard faster than my little mind can fix the errors.

supertrampofkansas 5 years, 2 months ago

gr (Anonymous) says…

“i am not a racist? what the heck does he think a racist is?”

Who was he racist against? Was it the white or the black?

Interesting question. Mr. Bardwell does clearly identify blacks in his comments though.

To those who have pointed out that Bardwell is not saying that they can't get married, only that "he" will not marry them. I wonder if the position he holds is elected by the people. The laws are clear about 2 consenting adults (of the opposite sex anyway) so is this judge breaking the law by not carrying out one of his duties as a Justice of Peace that he was elected to do? Seems like he should be removed from the bench.

staff04 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm just relieved after seeing the headline that this didn't happen in KS...

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

santini, nope, they didn't stay together but it had pretty much nothing to do w/ the fact that my mom is white and my father is black. it had everything to do w/ both of them being very strong-willed (okay, downright stubborn) people whose personalities didn't mesh very well.

being a mixed race kid in the 70s and 80s was a whole lot different than being one today. we didn't have the role models and we were somewhat of an oddity. today tho? hell, alot of the people who top billboard are biracial as are folks who make and star in movies and television. the biggest sports star in the world is multiracial. and last but but not least, the man who holds the land's highest office is.

i have always had friends who are black, friends who are white, latino friends, and even a few "mutts" like myself. everyone's experiences are different so i can't act like i am the spokesperson for all of the world's beige people but for me i saw the scum of every race as well as the beauty in each one (and everything inbetween). i am very proud to be multiracial (i am also 1/8 native american-- a portion of which i get from both parents' sides) and i wouldn't change that in myself even if i could.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

nope. my 1/8 native blood is divided betwix seminole (mom's side) and cherokee and blackfoot (dad's side).

it is rumored that we have more on my mom's side but w/out doing the whole alex haley thing, we'll probably never know.

Satirical 5 years, 2 months ago

...so then my doctor said I would stop having all those nosebleeds if I just kept my finger out of there...

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

and the 3 tribes that i derive from are pretty diverse. well, the cherokees and seminoles come from down in the georgia and florida area but the blackfoot come from up near canada.

anyway, enough of my geneology...

kmat 5 years, 2 months ago

I looked it up and a Justice of the Peace is an elected office in LA and he swore an oath to uphold the constitution and laws of the state.

To get married in LA, the law states you have to show ID, wait 72 hours from request of marriage license to get hitched, pay $25 and be over 18.

This guy broke his oath to uphold the law, so he needs to be fired.

Gareth Skarka 5 years, 2 months ago

Satirical-- "Second, in no objective sense are the comments made by “TheGreatSantini”, an effort to “downplay the story"

I quote, from TheGreatSantini:

"Obviously this guy is a jerk but it is not national news."

Pretty textbook case of downplaying, wouldn't you say?

Of course, you probably won't. That creaking sound we're all hearing is you bending over backwards to deny any wrongdoing by your fellow conservatives.

gr 5 years, 2 months ago

"Separately, Loving v. Virginia states that the desire to keep the races separate or “pure” is tantamount to believing in white supremacy. So based on the logic in Loving, the answer would be he is racist against African-Americans for not wanting them to “corrupt” the white race. While obviously Bardwell doesn't explicitly declare as much, it is implied through his discriminatory actions."

So, would you say it is impossible to be racist against whites for not wanting them to corrupt the black race, tantamount to believing in black supremacy? Or is Loving racist in itself?

"I think one could argue Mr. Bardwell is racist against those of mixed race. "

Would this be like some who are racist against polygamists?

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

um, no, gr... you cannot equate someone like myself-- who is the product of 2 people of different races procreating-- to a polygamist. wow-- are you for real?

i have, indeed, experienced some prejudice because i'm multiracial. that's true and i know it is probably the case for most mixed race people, especially those of us who are over the age of 30.

mom_of_three 5 years, 2 months ago

lets not knock "loving vs. virginia."

i don't think this guy's private opinion should keep people from getting married. yes, they can go somewhere else, but if he is putting private policies into public business, then that is wrong. I know many people in the judge's generation who would say the same thing, and unfortunately, I am related to them.

Satirical 5 years, 2 months ago

Gareth… “‘Obviously this guy is a jerk but it is not national news.’ Pretty textbook case of downplaying, wouldn't you say?”

No, downplaying would be if Santini made it appear as if this story were insignificant. Having an opinion on whether something is national news or just some old cranky guy is not downplaying. Legitimate arguments can be made both ways regarding whether this is national news, but those comments do no make light Bardwell’s acts or make them appear insignificant. Additionally if you read all of Santini’s arguments it is clear he has no sympathy for Bardwell. But heaven forbid facts get in the way of your stereotyping. Maybe you and Bardwell should start a club.

“That creaking sound we're all hearing is you bending over backwards to deny any wrongdoing by your fellow conservatives.” – Gareth

Actually you are making it really easy to clear up your obvious obfuscations and illustrate your ignorant stereotyping. Additionally you dodged my first counter-argument that “even if some conservative posters' comments were objectively downplaying the store or defending Bardwell doesn't mean those comments to represent the typical values of conservatives.”

Satirical 5 years, 2 months ago

Gr…. “So, would you say it is impossible to be racist against whites for not wanting them to corrupt the black race, tantamount to believing in black supremacy?”

“Or is Loving racist in itself?” – gr

“Would this be like some who are racist against polygamists?” - gr

That wouldn’t be racism, that would be bigotry.

grammaddy 5 years, 2 months ago

In the version of the article I read this morning over at Jack&Jill politics.com , He said he refused to marry them out of concern for the children they might choose to have. My oldest bi-racial child was livid at this. "Who is he to play God and decide what color children a couple might decide to have." I hadn't thought about it in that way, I just thought the guy was a pig.

Boosh 5 years, 2 months ago

Okay

Reigning Formula One Champion - Lewis Hamilton

Number One Ranked Golfer - Tiger Woods

President Of the United States - Barack Obama

I sometimes think intra racial ( I said Intra ) marriage should be banned :)

gr 5 years, 2 months ago

"Not sure what you mean by this statement. Do you mean is the logic used in the Loving opinion racist? If so, to what logic are you specifically referring?"

The logic. I only had what you listed.

"That wouldn’t be racism, that would be bigotry."

What is the difference, why is one and not the other.

Satirical 5 years, 2 months ago

gr… “The logic. I only had what you listed.”

I don’t see how the logic of Loving is racist. Perhaps if you made an argument as to how/why you think it is racist, I could respond.

“What is the difference, why is one and not the other.” - gr

The difference is they have different definitions:

Racism is, “hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.” Bigotry is, “stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.”

See www.dictionary.com

“Would it help if the question was a white, a black, a Chinese, an Eskimo, a southerner, a northerner, an atheist, a theist, and a transvestite were all married?” - gr

The answer to your question doesn't depend on who is attempting to get married, the answer depends on what reasons there is opposition. If an interracial marriage were being opposed only based on the race of their children, then that would be racist. If an interracial marriage were being opposed because a pastor didn’t want to marry an atheist and a theist, that would be bigotry.

In Loving v. Virginia it was declared that marriage is a fundamental right. Does that mean same-sex couples may marry, or polygamy/bigamy/group marriage is legal, or incestuous marriage is legal? That is up for the states and courts to decide.

puddleglum 5 years, 2 months ago

what's the big deal? inter-racial couples rarely last very long, everybody knows this. (even Tom)

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

OK, going to jump in and probably regret it. Dated a black guy in my late teens Which greatly upset relatives, got the whole "think of the children" thing. Relationship ended, later married a white man my parents approved of. Marriage didn't last, divorced, and later started dating old black boyfriend. Got married, had kids, still married after 26 years. Kids are doing great, better than most of their white friends. My white brother has been married three times and is currently single. Have to run but there is my two cents, and also a contributing factor to the failure of some inter-racial marriages may be from pressure coming from outside the marriage from people that don't approve.

car_ramrod 5 years, 2 months ago

honeychild, Thank you for being the voice of reason throughout this thread. My wife and I are getting ready to have our first child of blended race (my wife is black, I am white) and it is my sincere hope that he or she conducts him or herself with as much grace and positivity among misinformed and frankly uneducated comments like some I have seen appear in this thread. Thank you and know that you are an inspiration.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

wow, car, you literally just made my day! much love to you and your wife and god bless that little bundle you've got on the way! :) hugs

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

invictus/thegreatsantini... you are an idiot racist for calling people "mutts" -- especially given that all of mankind stems from Africa. Moron. However, I agree with your wanting your grand children to be Northern European. In fact, why not move there now to give them the head start, you moron racist puke.

LJWorld, why do you keep allowing this racist puke back on this board after he has been removed time and time again for writing repugnant racist comments? Are you seriously not aware who this is?

Sati: "I am fairly certain (see “absolutely positive”) this is unconstitutional."

You mean Clarence Thomas might disagree with this? ; )

tomatogrower 5 years, 2 months ago

MyName (Anonymous) says… The more this guy tries to explain, the more he needs to explain. Kind of like some of the posters on this board.

No lie!!! This moron doesn't even understand that he is out and out racist. Even his remark that he let's "them" use his bathroom is racist. And those of you who are defending him are just out and out racist. At least have the guts to admit it. Grow a pair and admit you think the white race is superior, creeps.

brian1981 5 years, 2 months ago

I hate throwing out the R-word, because it's way overused by people who aren't smart enough to explain what their opinions are, but this guy is a racist d-bag plain and simple.

How the **** can he possibly divine how a marriage or child is going to end up based on the color of the people involved? How is someone like this a judge in our country?

Clare Galloway 5 years, 2 months ago

oh my GOD---see what kind of judges that are voted into the bench he would not be there if racist people didnt vote him in!!! i have been married for over 25 years and we are a mixed race couple with children--all in school college working,what does he mean by the children !!!

Clare Galloway 5 years, 2 months ago

i think they need to look back through all the cases with this judge and see if he was fair to any minorities he tried

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

my first question: did this Justice of the Peace even attend law school? maybe it was by correspondence course.
to call him a moron is a compliment!

Gareth once again displays complete inability to think beyond liberal prejudice. I hope he/she sits down before reading the next line.

I have been attacked by Gareth before, I'm about as conservative as they come, in the Ann Coulter range. if God had granted me children, they would have been multiracial, that is to be precise triracial.

Gareth apparently likes to ignore that: Robert Byrd Democrat Senator of W. Virginia worked diligently during WWII to keep the segregated U.S. Army very segregated while in Britain. This Democrat in fact worked to ensure that black troops had inferior recreational facilities. overwhelmingly, it was dems enforcing Jim Crow laws. it was republican votes that allowed the civil rights act and the voting rights act to pass in the early 60's.

so, if Gareth read the above while standing, I apologize for contributing to the already high health care costs faced by our society because of Gareth's swoon.

As to the claims of the moronic Justice of the Peace, my wife and I will celebrate our 17th anniversary soon.

put a sock in it Bea for God's sake. Mel here has also referred to herself as a "mut" if I remember right. further, your messiah has referred to himself as a mut.

and while we're on the topic, lumpin' Mr. Obama in with other american black-white hybrid folks is false. the blood of american slaves does not flow in Mr. Obama's body.

cooltrix 5 years, 2 months ago

To quote a favorite movie of mine; "All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction. Everybody just gotta keep ****in' everybody 'til they're all the same color." (Bulworth)

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

Put a sock in it? Really?

Ignore racism. Great advice there bearded. Just ignore a history of racist comments from a puke who has frequently been removed because of his racist comments. This isn't just about one comment, but a long history of comments. And you would prefer that we should ignore it. Brilliant. Ignore racism. Just brilliant.

Further, what does it matter if "the blood of american slaves" flows through Obama or not? Wasn't he raised in the system that discriminated against people because of the color of their skin, not the exact identity of their DNA? Do you believe the history of discrimination against Blacks in America since slavery has only been against those who were descendants of slaves? Really? Ignore racism, and think it is all about "the blood," and not the skin color. Again, just brilliant.

Finally, Obama is American, not half-Kenyan.

Beatrice…

A quick response to several issues:

Are you sure TheGreatSantini is also Invictus? Based on all of Santini's postings I didn’t interpret his “mutt” comment as derogatory. Although I do think people should be extra careful in what they write when this topic is discussed.

I agree with you that it doesn’t matter whether Obama is descendant of a slave or not, because the reason he was brought up was to counter the argument that mixed race couples shouldn’t procreate. While I disagree with Obama’s policies he is a great example of how that logic is flawed.

“Finally, Obama is American, not half-Kenyan.” – Beatrice

Then, in your opinion do you think Obama should not be referred to as an African-American? I know several black individuals (and those of mixed race) who do not like being referred to as African-American, because as you state, they consider themselves American. (Although most of the time on this blog I refer to black individuals as African-American because it is the political correct thing to do.)

tomatogrower 5 years, 2 months ago

I understand Beatrice's anger. All of sudden a person who is openly racist is the victim. Can't you just hear this jerk's wimpy whine? "Ohh, you misunderstand, I talk to blacks all the time. I even let them use my bathroom, but why do they think they have the same rights of marriage like everyone else? Quit calling me names." Whine, whine. It's like Rush getting upset if someone calls him a junkie. I'm mean he doesn't hang out on the streets to get his drugs, he gets them from doctors. And it's all the doctors fault anyway. And he shouldn't go to prison, but all the other junkies should.

This new tactic of racists is just pathetic. They try and turn themselves into the victims, and can't understand why it isn't evident that their superiority shouldn't give them the right to make decisions for everyone else. The jerk should be canned, and I hope the present couple and the couples in the past sue the jerk until he's living on the street. Or maybe his fellow racists will take him in, but I doubt it. They aren't known for being very charitable.

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 2 months ago

Big deal.

An inbred backwoods racist judge in the hinterlands of Louisiana says racist things and takes racist actions? Alert the presses!

If anything, this is just a good reminder to not live in the hinterlands of Louisiana.

This is news because it is a rarity. Idiotic, overt racists like this have very little power in this country. Many of them resort to posting on blogs like this (stares around the room). The ones who do have power tend to wield what little power they have in this way. Pathetic.

The Constitution, reason and moderation will win the day. This petty, frustrated racist judge will be removed for unconstitutional actions. America will carry on without this little man and be the better for it.

Sunny Parker 5 years, 2 months ago

If he doesn't want to marry this couple, he shouldn't have to.

Just like doctors should not be forced to preform abortions, and landlords should not be forced to rent to half kenyans!

Let them go some place else....let a half kenyan half white justice of the peace marry them.

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 2 months ago

It is pretty pathetic when the racists in the country are forced to take their stand over a backwoods idiot judge denying marriage licenses.

Illustrates how powerless, pathetic, and frustrated they are. They must resort to posting on blogs like this.

Sunny Parker 5 years, 2 months ago

In your opinion he is a backwoods idiot judge!

In my opinion if he does not want to marry this 'couple' he should not have to. They have other choices...let them go someplace else and be done with it.

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 2 months ago

News flash! There are racists in the south!

If this judge has a problem with upholding the Constitution, he should be, and will be, removed from office. Let him work in another profession in which he isn't required to uphold the Constitution.

He doesn't have to be a judge. He could be a plumber or a doctor or a businessman. Or, he could parade around his pathetic racism by posting on blogs like these. That would be just about right.

coolmom 5 years, 2 months ago

my husband is 1/16th black and when we got together almost 19 years ago my family freaked and one of his older uncles kept cautioning us about holding hands in public. amazingly we had even more of an uproar when our first child was born with Down Syndrome since we embarassed some of the family by (gasp) keeping him and loving him. there are always going to be opinionated jerks and really who cares what they do with their sad little lives? we had almost as much of a fuss when we adopted a teen girl considered unadoptable and too troubled...all of our kids are good humans, volunteer and do well in school. i know simply shocking.

Sunny Parker 5 years, 2 months ago

And?

What does that have to do with this justice of the peace asking this couple to go someplace else to be married?

It is simple...go someplace else and be done with it. Or maybe they are wanting some cash out of the deal?

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 2 months ago

It is the role of a judge to uphold the Constitution and the laws that derive from it. He is clearly in violation of his duty to uphold the Constitution. Therefore, he needs to be removed as a judge.

Let him be a preacher. Then he can refuse to marry anyone he likes. A judge does not have this option and must uphold the laws and the Constitution.

tomatogrower 5 years, 2 months ago

sunny (Anonymous) says… In your opinion he is a backwoods idiot judge!

A minister has a right to not marry just anyone. An employee of the government, paid with taxpayers dollars, does not have that right. They must follow the law. These couples were legally able to get married. It's not up to him to decide if their marriage is viable or not. Especially when he bases his decisions on race. How many "good ole boy" couples did he marry and later divorced. At least, sunny, you are openly racist. I guess that's better than a whiney judge who doesn't think he's racist.

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 2 months ago

What is funny is that the dipstick could have gotten away with it by just making another excuse. Too busy or ill or unavailable.

Instead, the pathetic little racist must make a stand and tell the world that he is making a stand against what he perceives as interracial marriage.

In addition to violating the Constitution, it is likely this fool is too stupid to be a judge.

Ralph Reed 5 years, 2 months ago

@b_g, re your 1206: Go back and read your political history. The Dems of which you speak were the old Civil War Dems. Johnson lost the South for the Dems when he stood up for civil rights. That's when the sea change occurred. The Reps now are virtually identical in philosophy to the Dems then.

Your argument doesn't hold water as simply it assigns names and doesn't look at philosophy. Just like most of your other posts on the entire forum.

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

Sati, yes, I am positive that it is invictus. The fact that this place, at times, becomes a forum for racists like him and sunny is just unfortunate to say the least. The sad thing is, they probably think they are being funny. However, as many of us know, you are what you pretend to be.

Yes, we are all Americans and it is certianly the prefered term in my book, but we use qualifiers like "African American" because it is reflective our nation's history when it comes to race. There is weight to the qualifiers that goes beyond just a description of race. Some day, such qualifiers won't be used, despite what people like this idiot judge who want to keep people segregated might desire.

However, he isn't "half Kenyan," even if his father was from there (not that you are the one running with this, of course).

Katara 5 years, 2 months ago

sunny (Anonymous) says… In your opinion he is a backwoods idiot judge!

In my opinion if he does not want to marry this 'couple' he should not have to. They have other choices…let them go someplace else and be done with it. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ummm... he is a Justice of the Peace. He is an officer of the court. He is required to act according to the law and that means he may not discriminate against others regardless of his personal beliefs.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

Geez, this thread might need a facepalm.

Better be careful, gr, or you might have to actually answer a question.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 5 years, 2 months ago

barrypenders (Anonymous) says…

"He may have something here. The Poser is acting like a spoiled brat printing money to buy off anyone he can, just to get them to like him."

Wow, what drugs are you on, Barry? You are obsessed. Everything is about our Prez to you. You've got some pretty big problems there, pardner.

tomatogrower 5 years, 2 months ago

Redneck doesn't describe white people. It describes anyone who has absolutely so little going for them that they have to blame all their problems on something else. "I can't get no job, cause those "n" get them all" " I ain't no racist, but, but, but, including being against interracial marriage. Who has given you racists the right to tell people who they can marry? Most vocal racists I know can't hold down a real job. They try and get elected to good ole boy places like Louisiana and parts of Kansas. They form some "church" and live off donations from other morons who can't take responsibility for their lives. Redneck isn't describing white people, it's describing people who think the white race is superior. If you fall into this category, then claim your name, instead of whining about being a "victim". How dare this jerk tell two lawful adults they shouldn't marry!

bookemdano 5 years, 2 months ago

God are we ever going to get a user filter on this site? Scrolling past all the posts from the bigots and trolls is getting really old.

Ralph Reed 5 years, 2 months ago

@Tom, re your 1627. Somewhat like you, righty?

ferrislives 5 years, 2 months ago

bearded_gnome says: "it was dems enforcing Jim Crow laws. it was republican votes that allowed the civil rights act and the voting rights act to pass in the early 60's."

Although I don't like to respond to posts that don't have much to do with the subject, you forgot to mention the fact that A LOT of those Democrats then changed their party affiliation to Republican after the civil rights act passed. So now those people you supposedly dispise are in your Grand Ole Party. Nice editing of history.

This Justice of the Peace is an idiot and an obvious racist. If anyone defends what he did, they are the same. I hope that he get kicked off, but Louisiana doesn't have a great history of dealing with these sorts of things. They did vote for and strongly support former KKK grand wizard David Duke after all.

ferrislives 5 years, 2 months ago

sunny says: "If he doesn't want to marry this couple, he shouldn't have to.

Let them go some place else….let a half kenyan half white justice of the peace marry them."

sunny, let me shed a little sunshine on your a**: you are not only an idiot, but your "logic" is illogical. A Justice of the Peace takes an oath to follow the laws, and the laws long ago allowed interracial marriages. Those oaths aren't just a show, they are to be followed. And since he chose to change those laws in his part of Louisiana to suit his wants and needs, he will hopefully be kicked off of his high horse.

And by the way, if a landlord is found to not rent to people simply because of their race, and says it clearly, they'd be in the same trouble for the same reasons.

And finally, keep saying the half-Kenyan thing. Your OCD is funny!

"My name is sunny, he's a half-Kenyan you know!? Did you know he's half-Kenyan? He doesn't have to marry a white and a half-Kenyan. Did you see that photo of him in Kenya?" and on and on and on...get a life dude.

ferrislives 5 years, 2 months ago

TomShewmon says: "It was idiotic thing to do. Why bother. This guy acts as though he's trying to put out a wildfire with a squirt gun."

Tom, what "wildfire" do you speak of? Is there a higher prevelence of divorce among interracial couples that I'm not seeing? If you beleive that is true, please show proof.

It's funny how your supposedly reasonable post has a hidden nugget of racism hidden within. Are suffering from a little OCD as well?

ferrislives 5 years, 2 months ago

Then you are a racist Tom, correct? Wow, that's a shocker. You've finally admitted it. Guess what Tom? The "wildfire" of interracial couples, although I prefer to call it progress, is getting bigger and bigger, and it's not going away. You're just going to have to deal with that.

I grew up in the military, and interracial couples have been around in the military community for some time without many problems. A lot of that's because if someone, such as TomShewmon, were to voice their racist rants and opinions upon them, they would be subsequently demoted and possibly kicked out if it continued. That's why people such as Tom, Marion, sunny, and others choose to spend their time on these boards spewing their hatred, instead of spouting their rants in public. Maybe they should start a support group for racists with OCD who can't get over the fact that they have a biracial president?

As anyone with basic scientific knowledge knows, multiracial children are healthier children vs. mono racial children. That's because the white and black diseases get canceled out by the other race, making it so that they don't get race-specific diseases such as sickle cell anemia. So that's just one major positive to having multiracial kids. Another is that they are just beautiful kids.

Yes they have to deal with idiots, such as some of those on this board, who will never let them be the same as others. They will always want to point out their differences. But the good news is that more and more people have seen the light, see how beautiful and well-rounded multiracial children can be, and have changed their dynamic minds. Those that have not, such as Tom, are hopeless and will soon die off into oblivion.

As far as their marriage's lasting, I've never seen any proof that they don't last as long due to the mixing of races. I see plenty of white couples getting divorces in America, so that idea seems unfounded. If you disagree, please show proof.

tomatogrower 5 years, 2 months ago

So Santini, you are going to do what you can to keep your race "pure"? What a joke. Your kind will end in the future, then we might have paradise right here on earth, instead of the evil hatred you sickos like to spread. What gives you or this Louisiana jerkoff the right to tell people who can or cannot marry and have children. The superior race will be the human race, not the racist snakes, like wimpy santini. He even takes the name of a jerk on a movie who abused his kids and wife. Nice.

Ralph Reed 5 years, 2 months ago

Tom, you've gone below your usual low standards with your rants. Personal ad hominem attacks rather than group attacks. You should realize that is the last "defense" of those who can't find any other way to try and win an argument; belittle and make fun of your opponent. (see your 'ferritlives' vice his/her 'ferrislives')

Oh, before you try and say calling someone a racist is an ad hominem attack, remember that it's not. It is instead an attack on an abhorant philosophy and behavior.

ferrislives 5 years, 2 months ago

Tom, that's because you lack one...duh.

ferrislives 5 years, 2 months ago

Reasonable people, TomShewmon, Marion and others don't have the balls to admit that they are too racists. They'll continue on with their copy and paste racist rants without facts to back them up, hoping to stir others up. But when they are called on their crap, they call the "I know plenty of blacks, and they are my friends" bs. Or they act as if they have no need to respond.

They are not here for true dialog, only attention. They don't get enough attention from their significant others, if they have any, so they spend their time on here copying and pasting away.

There's no hope for them, and luckily I'm young enough to imagine a world where people of their generation will die off in their own due time, so that reasonable people can once and for all rule the world. It's not too far off, just be patient.

Ralph Reed 5 years, 2 months ago

@ferrislives: Read my 2159. You'll find that part of what I said applies to many posters here. When all else fails, they attack people rather than ideas, philosophies and so on. Not to worry, they're aging and hopefully their philosophies and behaviors will die with them.

Tom, your 2212 is a rambling rant, poorly connected and written. I'm sorry, but I've seen better from you. I rate it 0.8 an a scale of 1 to 10.

Motivation 5 years, 2 months ago

OMG!! That judge is insane..."I have many black friends, have them over for dinner, let them use my bathroom..." do the faux pas ever end? I'll bet most of his black friends don't even speak to him any longer.

His remarks make it seem as though his friends should be thankful he invites them over. I'm not even going to remark about the bathroom comment. I cannot even believe we have someone this narrowminded in an office of prominence?? I'll be looking for a formal apology, which I'm sure will only make things worse. People this shallow need to just give it up!!

ferrislives 5 years, 2 months ago

TheGreatSantini: First off, you have every right to marry who you want, and choose to marry one race if you want. It is America after all. People are responding to your previous posts that seem to degrade those who don't make the choice you've made, and that ends up going against your argument that you should be able to marry who you want.

Concerning the Wikipedia definition, it also states the following: "The Justice of the Peace is also the judge to whom parties seeking a civil marriage can repair. While states generally recognize marriages applied for under any relevant statutes and officiated under a religious leader or equivalent authority with adequate witnesses present, a Justice of the Peace can typically oversee a marriage union directly." and "Justices of the peace are appointed or elected from the citizens of the jurisdiction in which they serve, and are (or were) usually not required to have a formal legal education in order to qualify for the office."

He took an oath to uphold the law, and marrying couples, regardless of race, is the law of the land. And according to Louisiana, he was in fact voted in.

Did you only read the line you included, or the entire Wikipedia entry? Because it has a lot more facts that you seemed to have dismissed.

tomatogrower 5 years, 2 months ago

People like santini choose to ignore facts that don't fit their reality. They even rewrite the Bible to fit their political beliefs. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/oct...

Christine Anderson 5 years, 2 months ago

Coolmom, you said yesterday that you had some relatives who were upset when you had the "nerve" to keep and love your Down's syndrome child? Where are these poopheads-may I have permission to slap them?? That got under my skin. One of my three has special needs. I don't buy the judge's "logic" that interracial marriages are more likely to fail. Don't about 50 % of all marriages end in divorce these days? My oldest, my daughter is 21, and she is bi-racial. I'm a stubborn woman of norweigan-swedish-german descent, and her father is Iranian. Our marriage didn't last, but I don't think the culture mix had anything to do with it. Our daughter? A very beautiful young lady. She is proud to be half-Iranian. My sons are bi-racial, too. My youngest son discovered a few years ago that his dad is 1/4 Ojibawa. The same son recently attended his first sweat lodge. Was the only blonde, blue-eyed kid there.(LOL). Made several new "aunties and uncles " there. He is also proud to be part Native-American. Bigots are amusing little people sometimes. (sarcasm) My sons' grandfather went through his entire life never knowing who he was. He didn't know he was one-half Ojibawa. He was an accomplished bigot. Took his kids to picnics sponsored by the KKK.

ferrislives 5 years, 2 months ago

RalphReed: Thanks for your comment. There just isn't a way to have decent dialog with some people. I bet they were bullies in school back in their day.

Ralph Reed 5 years, 2 months ago

yw ferrislives. I'm waiting for the day when the LJW puts up and ignore button.

Randall Barnes 5 years, 2 months ago

AWESOME JOB YOUR HONOR. NO HES NOT BEING RACIST JUST KEEPING THINGS THE WAY THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN KEPT YEARS AGO AFTER ALL THIS IS AMERICA.PRO LIFE-PRO CHOICE.TOMATO - TOMOTO, POTATO - POTOTO BRING ON THE REDNECKS TO LAWRENCE KANSAS WE NEED MORE OF YOU

KS 5 years, 2 months ago

The "man", the Justice of the Peace, never said they could not get married; he just said "he" would not marry them. Where is Merrill when you need him? He must be in his hole. Not a word from him on this subject. Must not be anything on the web that he can cut and paste. Humm!

gr 5 years, 2 months ago

"The difference is they have different definitions:

So this is clearly not a case of racism.

Ralph Reed 5 years, 2 months ago

So gr, by omission, you're saying he's a bigot?

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

This should be a cautionary tale. Any time you respond (especially to the press) with "I can't be a racist. . . . I do I have I know etc." with any number of reasons behind it, then just stop. You're going to dig your hole even deeper than it already is, it just always happens that way.

aequitas 5 years, 2 months ago

@santarini-

Just out of curiosity’s sake, why do you prefer to have white children? I only ask because I have never heard anyone openly say they prefer a certain race in regards to their offspring. The usual response is I prefer a “girl or boy”, or the standard “I don’t care as long as they are healthy”. This is not an indictment or implication of any sorts; I simply am genuinely intrigued to hear your response.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

you calling me a bloody zebra, donnuts?