Archive for Thursday, October 1, 2009

Two LHS students disciplined after hoax

Two Lawrence High School students are in trouble for sending prank text messages to a parent's cell phone Thursday, school officials said.

October 1, 2009

A sophomore and a junior sent the messages to the sophomore's parent, indicating he was in danger at the school, said Julie Boyle, district spokeswoman. Multiple Lawrence police officers responded to the school when the parent called 911.

The students have been disciplined and police are investigating the situation, the school said.

Comments

cletus26 4 years, 6 months ago

please grow up. pretty dumb thing to do kids.

Danimal 4 years, 6 months ago

That's the truth acg. Don't they realize that electronic communications are pretty easily traced? This is why parents should still spank their children and make them play outside.

acg 4 years, 6 months ago

Pranks have sure changed from when I went to LHS. Instead of sending cops and parents on a wild goose chase, we did stuff like fill up Mr. Parks' truck bed with cheerios. Kids are evil and dumb these days.

kuslaves 4 years, 6 months ago

lol to think these punks made it all the way to high school with out being taught by someone in their lives, not to falsely yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater? lol Or in this case in school?

lol I guess some get to learn the hard way....

rodentgirl16 4 years, 6 months ago

I almost got mowed down by a police officer headed that way yesterday afternoon. I think they should have to pay for my pain and personal anguish. J/K Community service, baby! I like the Sunday morning trash pickup downtown idea.

On the other hand, when I was growing up (without cell phones mind you), we did play some pretty mean pranks on our parents. They shouldn't have done it, but then again, kids don't always realize the implications of pranks until the police show up with guns drawn. I'll bet they don't do it again!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 6 months ago

"Do you want these kids to pay for the gas that the police used to drive there? I'm not sure where the expense is in all of this."

Are you kidding? Cop cars cost a lot to operate, and several people in the PD had to take what amounted to HOURS of time just for paperwork, etc. Just think of the total man hours and multiply that times $50 or more.

lynnlouise 4 years, 6 months ago

Seriously the parents are not at fault ! They are great parents for taking this situation serious! What if this wasnt a prank then what! The kids should be punished for the prank and learn to never cry wolf!!!!!

SLJC 4 years, 6 months ago

If you really want to punish the kids, (and we certainly should) have the texting feature removed from their phones for a few months. The teens I know would much rather do hard time.

barrypenders 4 years, 6 months ago

Progressive Lawrence. Anyone notice Michael Moore lurking in the bushes with a knowing smirk on his full face? It could be the makings of a new flick. Progressive distracted students, is the foundation, cornerstone, to distracted drivers.

It's epidemic.

Darwin bless you all

ku_tailg8 4 years, 6 months ago

Do you want these kids to pay for the gas that the police used to drive there? I'm not sure where the expense is in all of this. I agree that they should be punished but I'm not seeing where the extra expenses come into play here.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 6 months ago

Parents, you have the right to deactivate their cell phones, you know. Or, shut off the service so that they can only call 911 in a true emergency. The over-grown brats!! Community service, absolutely!! Make it a combo of some really dirty work such as cleaning sewers or picking up trash on a Sunday morning on Mass St., and working at L.I.N.K., the homeless shelter, or WTCS, so they can get a view of how some kids their age don't even have the basics, let alone cell phones to misuse.

Defender 4 years, 6 months ago

"I agree with kmcd028 and denak. Have them work off the cost at Kansas minimum wage."

Hear, Hear!

blakus 4 years, 6 months ago

What bill would these students 'foot?'

mdrndgtl 4 years, 6 months ago

What a great story, please LJWorld what is on the lunch menu for today?

Darin Wade 4 years, 6 months ago

Sometimes high schoolers will come up with pranks to spark fun with no intention to think of the consequences in the end' Teen psychologist's say its a part of their consequencial

development stage " its a form of control" and a High' to see how far they can go. The remedy in this case is to get to the underlining motive of this prank..

Ralph Reed 4 years, 6 months ago

denak 4 years, 6 months ago

The parents are the victims here. Making the parents pay isn't going to really teach these kids anything. After all, it isn't the kids' money.

Personally, I agree kmcd028. Make the teenagers do community service....pick up trash along the side of the road or something. After two hrs or so, it will start to sink in. No doubt, they will still text each other about how unfair is but they will learn.

Dena

witchfindergeneral 4 years, 6 months ago

"hujiko (Anonymous) says…

dumb prank"

Dumb news.

TrooGrit 4 years, 6 months ago

oh don't listen to any of KsVoter's BS...he's a socialist in line with the government deciding every facet (communist) of your life....an idiot, in other words.

TrooGrit 4 years, 6 months ago

as much as i'd be against selective breeding, it does lend itself to that idea.

strateup 4 years, 6 months ago

I wonder what the text message said.

Michael Stanclift 4 years, 6 months ago

KansasVoter, really, attacking the parents who were pranked because they should have known better? Seriously?

Not knowing any details I would expect any parent to act the same way in that situation.

The kids sending the txt should be punished, not the parents who were looking out for their children.

kmcd028 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree that taxpayers should not have to foot the bill, but neither should the parents...the kid should have to do community service to pay it back!

KansasVoter 4 years, 6 months ago

"Multiple Lawrence police officers responded to the school when the parent called 911."

If they were really in trouble, wouldn't they have called 911 themselves instead of sending a text message to a parent who may or may not have their phone on? I think that the parent who got fooled should and his/her son should foot the 911 bill. It's as much the parents' fault for being dumb as it is the students' fault for being stupid.

Frightwig 4 years, 6 months ago

The offenders' parents should foot the bill for the 911 emergency response. Taxpayers shouldn't be expected to pay for school pranks.

kusp8 4 years, 6 months ago

haha...wow, what a bunch of morons.

hail2oldku 4 years, 6 months ago

I guess he/she is in danger at home now. :-)