Archive for Thursday, October 1, 2009

Two LHS students disciplined after hoax

Two Lawrence High School students are in trouble for sending prank text messages to a parent's cell phone Thursday, school officials said.

October 1, 2009

A sophomore and a junior sent the messages to the sophomore's parent, indicating he was in danger at the school, said Julie Boyle, district spokeswoman. Multiple Lawrence police officers responded to the school when the parent called 911.

The students have been disciplined and police are investigating the situation, the school said.

Comments

hail2oldku 4 years, 11 months ago

I guess he/she is in danger at home now. :-)

kusp8 4 years, 11 months ago

haha...wow, what a bunch of morons.

Frightwig 4 years, 11 months ago

The offenders' parents should foot the bill for the 911 emergency response. Taxpayers shouldn't be expected to pay for school pranks.

KansasVoter 4 years, 11 months ago

"Multiple Lawrence police officers responded to the school when the parent called 911."

If they were really in trouble, wouldn't they have called 911 themselves instead of sending a text message to a parent who may or may not have their phone on? I think that the parent who got fooled should and his/her son should foot the 911 bill. It's as much the parents' fault for being dumb as it is the students' fault for being stupid.

kmcd028 4 years, 11 months ago

I agree that taxpayers should not have to foot the bill, but neither should the parents...the kid should have to do community service to pay it back!

Michael Stanclift 4 years, 11 months ago

KansasVoter, really, attacking the parents who were pranked because they should have known better? Seriously?

Not knowing any details I would expect any parent to act the same way in that situation.

The kids sending the txt should be punished, not the parents who were looking out for their children.

strateup 4 years, 11 months ago

I wonder what the text message said.

denak 4 years, 11 months ago

The parents are the victims here. Making the parents pay isn't going to really teach these kids anything. After all, it isn't the kids' money.

Personally, I agree kmcd028. Make the teenagers do community service....pick up trash along the side of the road or something. After two hrs or so, it will start to sink in. No doubt, they will still text each other about how unfair is but they will learn.

Dena

Ralph Reed 4 years, 11 months ago

I agree with kmcd028 and denak. Have them work off the cost at Kansas minimum wage.

mdrndgtl 4 years, 11 months ago

What a great story, please LJWorld what is on the lunch menu for today?

blakus 4 years, 11 months ago

What bill would these students 'foot?'

Christine Anderson 4 years, 11 months ago

Parents, you have the right to deactivate their cell phones, you know. Or, shut off the service so that they can only call 911 in a true emergency. The over-grown brats!! Community service, absolutely!! Make it a combo of some really dirty work such as cleaning sewers or picking up trash on a Sunday morning on Mass St., and working at L.I.N.K., the homeless shelter, or WTCS, so they can get a view of how some kids their age don't even have the basics, let alone cell phones to misuse.

ku_tailg8 4 years, 11 months ago

Do you want these kids to pay for the gas that the police used to drive there? I'm not sure where the expense is in all of this. I agree that they should be punished but I'm not seeing where the extra expenses come into play here.

SLJC 4 years, 11 months ago

If you really want to punish the kids, (and we certainly should) have the texting feature removed from their phones for a few months. The teens I know would much rather do hard time.

lynnlouise 4 years, 11 months ago

Seriously the parents are not at fault ! They are great parents for taking this situation serious! What if this wasnt a prank then what! The kids should be punished for the prank and learn to never cry wolf!!!!!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 11 months ago

"Do you want these kids to pay for the gas that the police used to drive there? I'm not sure where the expense is in all of this."

Are you kidding? Cop cars cost a lot to operate, and several people in the PD had to take what amounted to HOURS of time just for paperwork, etc. Just think of the total man hours and multiply that times $50 or more.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 11 months ago

I almost got mowed down by a police officer headed that way yesterday afternoon. I think they should have to pay for my pain and personal anguish. J/K Community service, baby! I like the Sunday morning trash pickup downtown idea.

On the other hand, when I was growing up (without cell phones mind you), we did play some pretty mean pranks on our parents. They shouldn't have done it, but then again, kids don't always realize the implications of pranks until the police show up with guns drawn. I'll bet they don't do it again!

acg 4 years, 11 months ago

Pranks have sure changed from when I went to LHS. Instead of sending cops and parents on a wild goose chase, we did stuff like fill up Mr. Parks' truck bed with cheerios. Kids are evil and dumb these days.

Danimal 4 years, 11 months ago

That's the truth acg. Don't they realize that electronic communications are pretty easily traced? This is why parents should still spank their children and make them play outside.

cletus26 4 years, 11 months ago

please grow up. pretty dumb thing to do kids.