Documents show what it looks like when Mangino loses his temper

Coach accused of berating student parking employee in 2007, has not had a ticket since

Kansas head football coach Mark Mangino scans the KU practice field Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2009.

November 17, 2009

Mangino investigation

With a game against undefeated Texas looming, KU's football team has been answering questions the past several days about the tenuous future of coach Mark Mangino.

Related document

Mark Mangino's 2008 contract extension ( .PDF )

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Mark Mangino discusses investigation

Mark Mangino spent about 10 minutes discussing an investigation the athletic department is conducting, as well as the upcoming game against Texas.

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Reesing discusses Mangino investigation

Senior quarterback Todd Reesing provided more information about the investigation that is underway of KU football coach Mark Mangino.

The summer before Kansas football would embark on its most successful season in history, the team’s coach would be accused of verbally berating a KU student who had issued him the latest of nearly two dozen tickets for illegally parking in a loading zone near his office.

At that time, Kansas Athletics Inc. encouraged KU Parking & Transit to take whatever action it normally would take in such a situation, then turned its attention to discussing the issue with coach Mark Mangino.

Mangino hasn’t had a KU parking ticket since.

“We addressed it and it’s over,” said Jim Marchiony, a spokesman for Kansas Athletics Inc., on Tuesday.

The acknowledgement comes as Mangino faces scrutiny from within and around his own team. Athletic Director Lew Perkins issued a statement early Tuesday, saying that an “internal review” was under way regarding a “personnel issue.” Perkins also said that he had conducted a meeting Monday night with football players, a meeting that did not include Mangino.

Mangino, during his regular weekly media conference Tuesday, declined to discuss specifics regarding Perkins’ meeting with players, but did emphasize that he continued to hold the students’ attention.

“I haven’t lost the team one bit,” Mangino said. “I may have lost some people around here, but it’s not players. Take that for what it’s worth. You decipher it.”

Attempts to contact Mangino on Tuesday evening to discuss the 2007 parking incident were unsuccessful.

Documents on incident

The Journal-World received documentation regarding the incident through an open records request filed earlier this year. The request yielded information about Mangino’s parking tickets and other documentation regarding the incident with a Parking and Transit employee.

Marchiony acknowledged the existence of the information, but declined to discuss the contents in detail.

“The documents speak for themselves,” he said.

As outlined in the documents provided by Kansas University, the incident occurred in June 2007, when Mangino received a ticket from KU Parking and Transit for parking his vehicle in the loading zone south of Parrott Athletic Center — the 23rd time he had been ticketed for parking in the space.

Donna Hultine, director of KU Parking and Transit, reported that the particular ticket had spurred Mangino to track down the student employee who had written the ticket and launch a 10-minute, expletive-filled “tirade” so loud that it drew several employees out of nearby Allen Fieldhouse to watch.

“He screamed, yelled and cussed for a while and then got out of his car and screamed, yelled and cussed 6 inches from the student’s face,” Hultine said, in an e-mail to her boss at Strong Hall, Vice Provost Jim Long.

Contacted Tuesday, Hultine said she was pleased with the athletics department’s quick response to her complaints. Indeed, she said, Mangino hasn’t been ticketed since the incident and even has gone out of his way this season to be cordial to Parking and Transit employees when he sees them.

“It tells me that he’s willing to play by the rules and if he’s at least changed his behavior towards us, that’s great,” she said.

But two years ago, Hultine said, she was concerned for the very safety of her employees.

“I didn’t want to put any of my folks in his path,” Hultine said Tuesday. “Based on that incident, I knew what he was capable of. I had to stop it. I needed it to be addressed.

“They (athletics) took it very seriously and addressed it pretty quickly.”

Back in June 2007, Hultine had said that the “extreme” nature of the incident had led her to describe the altercation in a subsequent letter to Long.

“I understand that some level of anger and harassment come with the territory,” Hultine said, in her letter. “I am documenting this incident because it is an extreme that even this department doesn’t often see, especially from a person of Mark Mangino’s position and influence at this university and in this community.

“This is a man who should be setting examples and representing the University of Kansas in a professional manner.”

In an earlier e-mail regarding the incident, Hultine noted that she’d sent a note to Sean Lester, who is an associate athletic director at Kansas Athletics Inc., to complain about Mangino’s behavior.

Hultine said that Lester then sent the note to Perkins, who in turn talked to Mangino.

“Mangino called me the next day and completely denied this behavior — he says it was a ‘conversation,’ ” Hultine said, in her e-mail. “Sean Lester and Lew Perkins have been very supportive of us in this incident — they’re not saying it out loud but I know that they’ve dealt with Coach Mangino’s anger issues in the past and they’re encouraging me to take whatever action I’d normally take in instances like this.”

Hultine already had instructed her employees to “key” the microphone on their radios should they ever get into a similar situation with Mangino, so that such a “conversation” would be heard — and recorded — by police dispatchers.

The background story

Mangino now has a parking space at his program’s own building, the Anderson Family Football Complex at Kivisto Field, which opened in July 2008. Mangino’s space — just outside the chain-link fence below the Memorial Stadium scoreboard — is available only to him, as holder of the lone permit issued for the reserved space.

In 2004, Mangino had received a ticket for parking in a restricted area of a lot described as south of the fieldhouse, where a “No parking next to loading dock” sign had been posted. Administrators agreed to void the ticket, and a similar ticket was voided in March 2005.

Several subsequent tickets were paid, at $20 apiece, before one in May 2006 — involving a loading zone north of the fieldhouse — was voided at the request of Brad Nachtigal, an assistant athletic director. Mangino then received another ticket for the same spot a week later.

A third ticket by the end of the month led to a comment on the citation report: “Mangino’s favorite spot.”

In January 2007, student employee Brad Walters wrote his first ticket on Mangino’s black Lincoln Navigator for parking in the loading zone outside Parrott, formally described on department documents as Anschutz Sports Pavilion.

That was Jan. 3. Then another Jan. 8. And another Jan. 29, followed by others Feb. 19, April 19, May 1 and May 9.

Then, on June 11, Walters wrote his eighth — and last — ticket on Mangino for parking in the loading zone.

In his written report, Walters said that Mangino had told him that he’d been unloading notebooks and had asked how he could unload without getting a ticket.

Walters responded that he should get a loading permit from one of the parking booths on campus or to contact the office.

“He got out of the car, slammed the door and came within about a half-foot of my face and started yelling at me, saying that I couldn’t answer any of his questions and that he works 16-hour days and has no time to get a pass,” Walters wrote, in his report.

Mangino, Walters said, had insisted that he’d only parked in the zone a few times and that he’d paid all five or six of those tickets.

“This job gives you power, does it?” Mangino said, according to Walters. “You feel real f---ing powerful walking around like a big shot, huh? … Why in the hell else would you be bothering me with this?”

No, Walters said, the office had told him to issue tickets for cars parked in the loading zone.

“So offices tell you what to do?” Mangino said, according to Walters. “F---ing offices walk around telling you what to do all day?”

Mangino eventually got back into his car, Walters said, before continuing: “You just don’t like talking to me because I’m ethnic, just because I talk with my hands.”

Walters continued: “He then went on to tell me how important he is to this university and how he doesn’t have time to spend dealing with all this crap.”

NME 6 years ago

What a loser. Talk about using power to push people around. Thank god this slob will be out of here soon. We deserve better than this.

bookemdano 6 years ago

Oh brother. This is your idea of great investigative journalism? That Mangino yelled at a parking officer who wrote him a ticket? I'm not trying to defend Mangino here, but I'd be willing to wager that a lot of Division I head coaches have yelled and screamed at people who wrote them parking tickets yet don't choke or otherwise physically abuse their players.

And you received all of this information "earllier this year" but sat on it until now? Probably because you realized that this is hardly a story, but all of a sudden now it's a compelling narrative revealing a pattern of behavior in the head coach?

onetime97 6 years ago

Don't forget about the time he was at his son's football game at Haskell stadium, waddled out of the stands on the field to bereate a referee in front of thousands of LHS players and fans.

Can you see the pattern of the okie sooners...they were shopping mangino around more than mangino was shopping himself...

...add the "DOT"..after number 2

davidsmom 6 years ago

I agree that Mangino's behavior, if as reported, is inexcusable under any circumstances, and especially towards a student. But considering how this compares to the behavior of other coaches, and some on a regular basis, this is just a non-story. I'm not justifying it, just stating what I believe to be the truth. I was expecting something huge. The distraction to the football team is that the "investigation" and the negative media exposure is on top of a bunch of things that have gone unexpectedly wrong this season. I feel sorry for the players because they don't deserve this. The timing puts it into the category of yellow journalism.

budwhysir 6 years ago

I have a large comment that could be posted but at this point I ask Is it needed? Do people need to hear what I have to say to make a decision on this???? Lets ask Mark..

Godot 6 years ago

Come on, KU, give Mangino a "loadig zone" permit. problem solved.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years ago

I have a degree in journalism. I'd call this yellow journalism.

boothillbilly 6 years ago

Way to show character. And then we wonder why the basketball team and the football team get into a brawl behind Anschutz.

If all people care about winning what can we expect? Expect a lot power tripping by coaches, a lot more DUIs and serious criminal offenses, and more outrageous behavior with attendant tolerance on the part of the community.

on another note, why is the analysis of sports so much better than analysis of politics on radio and television? I have never seen better breakdowns of statistics, predictions of performance based upon soundbytes, and trenchant criticism than in the Sports Radio industry. But hey, they are catering to market demands. And we wonder why this country is headed downhill quicker than a bobsled.

TheGreatOz 6 years ago

The parking incident of 2007. cue ominous music

laughingatallofu 6 years ago

You know, before I read the e-mails and the incident report, I didn't know what to think of what's been happening with Coach Mangino, the "internal investigation", etc. Everything was speculation and I figured I'd withold judgement until everything came out in the wash.

But Jeez-Louise! Those e-mails and incident report are pretty damning. If I had a quarter of that in my file I'd be on my butt in the middle of the street on the outside looking in!

NOBODY is that important (to KU, KUAC, Lawrence, the USA, etc) that he/she should be able to get away with behavior that extreme with impunity. It's not like this was an isolated incident or that he hadn't been given breaks, second chances, warnings, etc.

Prior to this, I was ambivalent toward Coach Mangino's coaching style, record, past behavior on the sidelines, etc. But behavior like this crosses the line.

I hope that the University (not KUAC, who is too consumed with money and brushing image-tarnishing incidents like this under the rug) does the right thing and demonstrates that behavior like this is unacceptable.

I do agree with the above posters, however, that this smacks of sensationalism by the LJW.

TheGreatOz 6 years ago

Bobby Knight ain't got nothin' on Mangino.

9070811 6 years ago

No kidding, Oz! I'd like to see his file

Frightwig 6 years ago

JackRipper, were you bullied by jocks and rich kids when you were younger? You seem to have a lot of hatred and insecurity toward those with athletic ability and financial means. Life is too short to carry such an emotional burden on your back. The tone of your comments leads me to believe that you may be on some sort of medication to help regulate your moods. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. You may need to get the strength or dosage adjusted though. I sincerely wish the best for you, seriously.

Graczyk 6 years ago

This article is in poor taste. It smacks of character assassination and makes me question this paper's integrity and judgment.

I'm looking at you, jkealing. How do you defend this?

tashtego 6 years ago

There's an easy solution to some of these problems: The NCAA should cap all coaches's salaries. What else can these guys do? And why not do the same for professional athletes and coaches? After all, these enterprises are subsidized by taxpayers and have de facto monopolies.

kessman 6 years ago

perkins is a grade A pri--k.go down town and see how many people talk BS to the meter readers.who gives a fu-k

Jimo 6 years ago

Let the character assassination begin! Why, oh why!, would this 2007 mini-drama be hitting the pages now?

Linda Aikins 6 years ago

I had heard his secretary quit several years ago because he would yell at her all the time - especially if he was flying and his plane would be late. He would call her from the road and just rip her a new one because his plane was late. Like she was at fault.

alm77 6 years ago

Correct me if I got this wrong, but if he gets fired for being a losing coach, the university buys him out of his contract. But if he gets fired for excessively bad behavior, KU is off the hook for free?

A football coach with anger issues? Who'd a thunk it?

If they don't prove assault, I'm calling shananigans.