Archive for Friday, November 13, 2009

No charges will be filed against KU football or basketball players involved in brawl

City prosecutors announced Friday no charges would be filed in the altercation that took place between members of the KU basketball and football teams. The situation is instead being handled by the Kansas Athletics administrators.

November 13, 2009

City prosecutors have determined no criminal charges will be filed against members of Kansas University’s football and men’s basketball teams, in connection with a public fight that broke out between the teams in September.

KU police conducted a disorderly conduct investigation and forwarded their results to Lawrence city prosecutors for review.

Lead prosecutor Jerry Little said the situation was being handled by athletics administrators and no criminal charges were filed.

Douglas County district attorney Charles Branson’s office did file charges against 19-year-old Guy Lipscomb, who allegedly threatened to shoot one former and one current member of the Kansas University track team less than an hour after the Sept. 22 fight. Police said the threat was connected to the brawl. A March jury trial is scheduled in the case.

Comments

ralphralph 4 years, 10 months ago

KU Police = shameful (owned by Lew) City Prosecutors = wussy patrol (at least rent a pair)

Graczyk 4 years, 10 months ago

The only guy who is being charged isn't an athlete. What a farce.

royalpain 4 years, 10 months ago

Did any of you see something illegal there? The video showed not illegal activity - other than reckless driving in the parking lot. The entire story was blown way out of proportion and then suddenly faded away after the video was released. No proof of any wrongdoing. It's not illegal to punch a wall. Just stupid.

stuckinthemiddle 4 years, 10 months ago

I've come to not expect much in the way of knowledge and understanding of things from some of the people who post here but rarely have I seen a group of commentators that are so completely a$$backwards in their thinking...

if such a minor scuffle would have taken place between "everyday students" the police would likely have never heard about it.. and the general public certainly wouldn't have heard a peep...

nope... you will never see a headline that reads: "KU Student Sprains Thumb in Scuffle on Campus"

replace “Student” with “Football Player” or “Basketball Player” and it’s suddenly juicy news…

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm sorry, but a few extra laps around the gym doesn't qualify as "handling it" in my book.

Taylor gets off easy while they throw the book at Brady. They only punished Brady because he wasn't going to play anyway. They had to punish someone...just not a starter.

The fact that KU swept this under the rug just reinforces my belief that top-flight college athletic programs are more corrupt than Washington.

At least pro athletes are all about the money and they admit it! They don't masquerade as students and the teams they play for don't pretend they're there for anything other than playing sports.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

@ stuckinthemiddle

Stop being an apologist for these clowns. A scuffle, really? With over 100 people involved?

Just don't take off your crimson and blue glasses...you might be appalled with the real world.

LiberalDude 4 years, 10 months ago

Hurray. No one got hurt. It's not a big deal. Let's move on.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

@ LiberalDude

Yea, screw it. Let's just sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened.

royalpain 4 years, 10 months ago

@ Ricky_Vaughn

There weren't 100 people "involved". There were a lot of people watching - none of whom provided any incriminating information. Don't believe everything you read. Watch the video.

costello 4 years, 10 months ago

This is crap!

"the situation was being handled by athletics administrators and no criminal charges were filed."

If a kid gets into a fight at school, he can be punished by both the school and the juvenile justice system. And the argument that he was already punished at school won't wash in court. Why do we hold adults to a lower standard?

Crap.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

Question is, do KU fans have that kind of integrity?

LiberalDude 4 years, 10 months ago

Ricky_Vaughn - There are thousands of horrible things going on all over the world right now that you put your energy into worrying about. Instead you yammer on and on about a shoving match that happened between some KU athletes over a month ago. They were punished by their coaches. There haven't been any new fights. Lessons have been learned. Let it go.

kmat 4 years, 10 months ago

royalpain (Anonymous) says…

@ Ricky_Vaughn

There weren't 100 people “involved”. There were a lot of people watching - none of whom provided any incriminating information. Don't believe everything you read. Watch the video.

You need to do your research. You are talking about the 2ND scuffle. The first fight did involve a mob of over 100 people. The 2ND scuffle was the smaller one the next day between classes.

costello 4 years, 10 months ago

"What a joke this is. But, with Lew in charge it should be expected. Not the same KU I got my degrees from."

Lew isn't in charge of the District Attorney's office. That's where the blame lies.

costello 4 years, 10 months ago

"Instead you yammer on and on about a shoving match that happened between some KU athletes over a month ago. They were punished by their coaches. There haven't been any new fights. Lessons have been learned. Let it go."

I'd be more likely to buy this argument if it weren't for the fact that apparently there is a different standard for KU athletes and the rest of us.

If I punched out my coworker, the fact that my boss had punished me and I'd learned my lesson would NOT preclude criminal charges being made against me. The fact that a month had passed and I hadn't punched anyone else in the meantime would also be immaterial.

If I got on a public forum and made those arguments in my defense, I'd be loudly hooted down, and rightly so.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

I put my energy into this because no one else does and it really bugs me. I know my comments aren't going to make Lew punish anyone.

I'm just trying to get KU fans to think a little more deeply about this whole situation. I feel it sets a precedent for the standards that the basketball players are held to. What are those standards anyway? I don't see any.

I realize too that only so much could be done given the situation and the fact that it probably was difficult to identify those involved. All I know is Taylor magically broke his thumb and hasn't even missed a practice when healthy.

I'm a sports fan and I'm going to comment about what I read. If you want to tackle th rest of the world's problems, be my guest.

MrShades 4 years, 10 months ago

Ricky, I understand you being all bunched up about this, what with your parents making you dress like that; But in our world someone's got to press charges, someone has to stand up and be a witness, nobody was doing either of these things, so the DA did all it could do, NOTHING Move along, nothing to see here.

T_Time 4 years, 10 months ago

Ricky, I wish you would post more insider information about the basketball team. The only person being charged, threatened to shoot two females. A little different than fighting with you peers

Graczyk 4 years, 10 months ago

The deal here is that the police were involved. Twice if I remember correctly. That's where it crossed the line.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

If there's nothing to see here, then why do some of you get so upset when I post about it? Does the truth hurt?

BlackVelvet 4 years, 10 months ago

Some of you might be very suprised how many "crimes" are not charged by either the City prosecutor of the DA's office. There simply isn't enough jail space nor room on the court dockets to charge every crime. Unless we raise taxes to build more courtrooms, jail cells and hire more prosecutors and judges. And then you same folks would whine that your taxes went up to pay for it all. Just not pleasing some folks

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

I never wanted them to put Taylor in jail...couldn't he at least sit out for that tough matchup against Pitt State?

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm not asking for blood or lethal injection here.

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 10 months ago

Get a load of this: Harrison Barnes let it be known he was very leery of KU after the fights and fallout from it. Hence, the "thumb" can be thanked for turning a highly prized recruit against KU. Food for thought.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

20 lashes w/ a wet noodle! now don't do it again, kids!

commuter 4 years, 10 months ago

Is Branson a season basketball or football ticket holder?? Has anyone seen him at any of the games??

LadyJ 4 years, 10 months ago

MichaelJ says " There simply isn't enough jail space nor room on the court dockets to charge every crime." Prosecuting a crime does not have to mean jail time but some could be prosecuted and victims given restitution. It is not fair to not prosecute crimes when victims have suffered a financial loss just because you don't want to bother with it. I am not talking about this case, so don't get upset, but I was a victim of theft, they admitted to it, but charges were dropped just because.

Mary Darst 4 years, 10 months ago

The only good thing coming out of this situation was the blog about the babymama. I was rolling. The funniest thing on here i've ever read.

Kawatchi 4 years, 10 months ago

The difference between the guy being charged and everyone else is that:

1. There is a victim identified
  2. The guy threatened to KILL someone

The rest was just a big mess of people getting at each other, and so far as I can tell, no victims have come forward.

jafs 4 years, 10 months ago

I would guess that one can be charged with disorderly conduct even if there are no "victims".

It is appalling to me that so many are willing to accept such high levels of poor behavior from athletes/students.

Steve Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Sound like a case of "jock itch". If the jock itches, he needs scratched.

Jimo 4 years, 10 months ago

Outsourcing criminal justice to athletic administrators? I expect the City Commission to demand the resignation of Jerry Little immediately.

nedcolt 4 years, 10 months ago

Thats why this thug team will continue to lose,guess you would have to appreciate a free education if you had to pay for it,,