Archive for Thursday, November 12, 2009

Owner gets dog back 8 months after losing her

November 12, 2009

Tammy Yergey has found her dog Tinker after eight months, by the way of a good samaritan who found the dog and helped reunite them after searching through lost dog ads.

Missing dog reunited with owner

A dog that had been missing for eight months finally found its way back to its owner. An anonymous person found the dog and located the owner through missing dog ads. Enlarge video

You can call her the miracle dog.

Eight months after losing her Yorkshire terrier outside a Lawrence grocery store, Tammy Yergey was reunited with the little dog, Tinker.

“I just never expected to get her back,” Yergey said Thursday, as she held the scruffy, messy-faced dog. “It was just kind of our little miracle.”

Tinker went missing last St. Patrick’s Day — March 17 — during a family trip to a Lawrence grocery store. Someone either stole the dog from the family’s vehicle or it got out somehow.

Yergey immediately put an ad in the newspaper and thought she’d never again see the little dog she had a special bond with, the dog she took to work each day.

“She’s like my little shadow, where she follows me everywhere I go, I just can’t do anything without her not behind me; almost to where I’m tripping over her it’s so bad,” Yergey said. “It was really, really hard.”

But on Veterans Day, Yergey received a phone call from a woman who said she found a dog she thought might be hers — a dog that gets excited when someone’s getting dressed because it thinks a trip’s in store, the dog that has breast cysts on its belly.

“I was like, ‘Oh, this cannot be.’ There is just no way, eight months later that it’s my dog,” Yergey said.

When the stranger brought the dog to Yergey’s Lawrence office building, the dog got excited. Yergey and her co-workers stood by the window waiting to see if it could be Tinker.

“Sure enough it was her,” Yergey said. “Everyone’s like, ‘Yay, it’s Tinker.’ Everyone was crying; it was just so cool.”

The anonymous dog finder said she found the dog a few days ago and went through a year’s worth of lost dog ads in the newspaper. Eventually she found an ad from March that matched Tinker’s description and contacted Yergey.

Though Yergey was a bit hurt Tinker didn’t immediately recognize her, she said the dog was well taken care of and in good spirits. The dog will be pampered during an appointment at the doggy salon Friday.

Comments

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

Umm, ID tag? Rabies tag? Microchip? Lucky you got her back. Lucky for her someone decent found her and she didn't end up as pitbull bait.

weegee 5 years, 5 months ago

gccs14r--If someone took her, a tag or microchip wouldn't matter.

Congratulations on getting her back!

Casey_Jones 5 years, 5 months ago

I saw a dog get thrown out of a moving vehicle in the parking lot of a Lawrence grocery store last St. Patrick's day....

sugarmagnolia 5 years, 5 months ago

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

It's some loonyville Lawrence Liberal plot, I'm sure.

Nathan Atchison 5 years, 5 months ago

my pitbulls are going to lick your face off gccs14r. theyre horrible beasts with huge tusks for eyes! and fire! they breathe horrible burning flames! they arent dogs they are EVIL!!! wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhh!!!

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 5 months ago

"sugarmagnolia (Anonymous) says… it seems doubtful to me that someone would look through almost a years worth of ads for lost pets, and even more doubtful that this dog would of made it on its own for eight months"

Do you own a dog? I do. I can certainly imagine myself doing that if I found a dog because I'd hope someone would do it if they found mine. Mine is chipped and trained, but one never knows. I've certainly done plenty of things to help out other dog owners in my neighborhood, so this doesn't seem totally insane.

rse1979 5 years, 5 months ago

Whoa whoa whoa, LJW. The part of the story I don't like is that the woman gave up looking for Tinker after an hour. She didn't put posters up or anything, she just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That girl's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ^%% out there and you find that freaking dog.

nonbeliverofprint 5 years, 5 months ago

I wish it was a good Samaritan that found my Chihuahua almost 3 years ago. I went door to door in my neighborhood, had an ad in the paper for almost 3 months and was out looking for her till almost midnight every night for a week (and crying myself to sleep). To this day, I still look within fenced yards to see if my baby girl is in that yard. I was (and still am) devastated. People who find and keep a lost animal should be ashamed of themselves if they don't at least attempt to find the original owner. It hurt my entire family very much.

redfred 5 years, 5 months ago

Why do people think they need to take their dogs everywhere they go. If you had left your dog at home it wouldn't have disappeared.

Danielle Brunin 5 years, 5 months ago

rse1979,

Congratulations, you passed second grade! (I was thinking the same thing ;)

50YearResident 5 years, 5 months ago

Sounds to like the little mutt was too much trouble for the new owners to bother with so it became "lost" again. Now if I found a stray dog (in good shape) would I have the drive to look back in in 8 months of lost dog adds? Why would I think it had been lost that long?

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

Yes. The animal's name, home address, and a good phone number. The rabies tag traces back to the vet, who also has that info.

Blog entries