Archive for Thursday, November 12, 2009

Owner gets dog back 8 months after losing her

November 12, 2009

Tammy Yergey has found her dog Tinker after eight months, by the way of a good samaritan who found the dog and helped reunite them after searching through lost dog ads.

Missing dog reunited with owner

A dog that had been missing for eight months finally found its way back to its owner. An anonymous person found the dog and located the owner through missing dog ads. Enlarge video

You can call her the miracle dog.

Eight months after losing her Yorkshire terrier outside a Lawrence grocery store, Tammy Yergey was reunited with the little dog, Tinker.

“I just never expected to get her back,” Yergey said Thursday, as she held the scruffy, messy-faced dog. “It was just kind of our little miracle.”

Tinker went missing last St. Patrick’s Day — March 17 — during a family trip to a Lawrence grocery store. Someone either stole the dog from the family’s vehicle or it got out somehow.

Yergey immediately put an ad in the newspaper and thought she’d never again see the little dog she had a special bond with, the dog she took to work each day.

“She’s like my little shadow, where she follows me everywhere I go, I just can’t do anything without her not behind me; almost to where I’m tripping over her it’s so bad,” Yergey said. “It was really, really hard.”

But on Veterans Day, Yergey received a phone call from a woman who said she found a dog she thought might be hers — a dog that gets excited when someone’s getting dressed because it thinks a trip’s in store, the dog that has breast cysts on its belly.

“I was like, ‘Oh, this cannot be.’ There is just no way, eight months later that it’s my dog,” Yergey said.

When the stranger brought the dog to Yergey’s Lawrence office building, the dog got excited. Yergey and her co-workers stood by the window waiting to see if it could be Tinker.

“Sure enough it was her,” Yergey said. “Everyone’s like, ‘Yay, it’s Tinker.’ Everyone was crying; it was just so cool.”

The anonymous dog finder said she found the dog a few days ago and went through a year’s worth of lost dog ads in the newspaper. Eventually she found an ad from March that matched Tinker’s description and contacted Yergey.

Though Yergey was a bit hurt Tinker didn’t immediately recognize her, she said the dog was well taken care of and in good spirits. The dog will be pampered during an appointment at the doggy salon Friday.

Comments

gccs14r 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes. The animal's name, home address, and a good phone number. The rabies tag traces back to the vet, who also has that info.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 5 months ago

I know some papers put free lost pet ads in for free. I just noticed that they don't leave class ads in the archives.

I'm wondering it LJW might consider offering free lost pet online class ads, and leaving them in the archives? I know, a lot of pets end up being found on the roadways and people wouldn't call in, we had that happen with updating pet files at the vets office.

But as in this story, when a pet is out..perhaps a neighbor 'takes it in' then later the dog escapes to try to make it's way home, someone else picks it up and doesn't take it to the shelter for them to look back through the missing dog reports..the person looking through the online missing pet ads could click back through.

Just a thought.

Oh, and did you know that the chips they put in at the humane soc., a year later, the chip company will email you asking for a $15 annual renewal fee? Yeah, that wasn't a one time fee you paid to get your animal chipped.

consumer1 4 years, 5 months ago

The woman holding the dog sure is pretty. dog is cute too.

50YearResident 4 years, 5 months ago

Sounds to like the little mutt was too much trouble for the new owners to bother with so it became "lost" again. Now if I found a stray dog (in good shape) would I have the drive to look back in in 8 months of lost dog adds? Why would I think it had been lost that long?

rodentgirl16 4 years, 5 months ago

rse1979,

Congratulations, you passed second grade! (I was thinking the same thing ;)

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 5 months ago

WOW! Tammy what a great ending! Very glad you got your pup back. About three years ago, due to let's say, al little neighborhood "fued", some punks lured my border collie and cairn terrier away. I was devastated. We were all in tears. They are two of the sweetest dogs you'll find and we treat them like family, baby talk to them---the whole thing---to the point where our relatives think we're a little off in the head (I know I'll catch flack for that comment). But anyway, I walked the local neighborhoods/woods-----everywhere, expecting the worst. What is the statistic, something like 90% of lost pets never return?? So I made up flyers on the computer and went around to any and all places within a 10-15 mile radius that would allow me to hang one up.

Well, the last stop---literally the last stop I made was Stout's Corner in Linwood, depressed and fearing the worst, I got back in my truck, wheeled out, checked for traffic and lo and behold, there was my border, trotting behind a kid on a bike, our cairn trailing even farther behind, tongue hanging to the ground. I almost forgot to put my truck in park when I hopped out!!! I was never happier in my life. They were gone for two days. Their rabies tags were removed. I interrogated the little kid, who seemed clueless how the dogs "just showed up" ---riiight. I asked a neighbor who said he saw them following "a couple kids on bikes" and so happens those "couple kids" were nephews of this older punk who I'd ran off our property (with a very visible no trespassing sign practically over his head at the time) and that is the reason--we have idiots who think our ten wooded acres is a public playground. The deputy came out, took a report, visited the kids and their mom----well, that turned out to be a waste of time. I don't care, just glad to get the dogs back. Again, Tammy, so glad you got her back!

redfred 4 years, 5 months ago

Why do people think they need to take their dogs everywhere they go. If you had left your dog at home it wouldn't have disappeared.

nonbeliverofprint 4 years, 5 months ago

I wish it was a good Samaritan that found my Chihuahua almost 3 years ago. I went door to door in my neighborhood, had an ad in the paper for almost 3 months and was out looking for her till almost midnight every night for a week (and crying myself to sleep). To this day, I still look within fenced yards to see if my baby girl is in that yard. I was (and still am) devastated. People who find and keep a lost animal should be ashamed of themselves if they don't at least attempt to find the original owner. It hurt my entire family very much.

rse1979 4 years, 5 months ago

Whoa whoa whoa, LJW. The part of the story I don't like is that the woman gave up looking for Tinker after an hour. She didn't put posters up or anything, she just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That girl's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ^%% out there and you find that freaking dog.

consumer1 4 years, 5 months ago

I happen to believe there are still good people in this messed up world. It saddens me that so many people are jumping to conclusions based on a newspaper article.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 5 months ago

"sugarmagnolia (Anonymous) says… it seems doubtful to me that someone would look through almost a years worth of ads for lost pets, and even more doubtful that this dog would of made it on its own for eight months"

Do you own a dog? I do. I can certainly imagine myself doing that if I found a dog because I'd hope someone would do it if they found mine. Mine is chipped and trained, but one never knows. I've certainly done plenty of things to help out other dog owners in my neighborhood, so this doesn't seem totally insane.

shleppy 4 years, 5 months ago

my pitbulls are going to lick your face off gccs14r. theyre horrible beasts with huge tusks for eyes! and fire! they breathe horrible burning flames! they arent dogs they are EVIL!!! wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhh!!!

jonas_opines 4 years, 5 months ago

It's some loonyville Lawrence Liberal plot, I'm sure.

thebcman 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree Sugar, something smells fishy here.

sugarmagnolia 4 years, 5 months ago

Casey_Jones 4 years, 5 months ago

I saw a dog get thrown out of a moving vehicle in the parking lot of a Lawrence grocery store last St. Patrick's day....

weegee 4 years, 5 months ago

gccs14r--If someone took her, a tag or microchip wouldn't matter.

Congratulations on getting her back!

autie 4 years, 5 months ago

That is just too cool. Years ago, I experienced something similar. My little baby girl dachshund got out and runned off. I searched high and low for about a month and gave up. About four months later, I heard a whine at the door and opened it up and there she was...a little thin, a little worn on the edge..but home. PS, these kind of stories make me cry.

macon47 4 years, 5 months ago

ANYONE THAT HAS TO TAKE A DOG ON SHOPPING TRIPS NEEDS HELP, ESPECIALLY IF THEY DONT CARE ENOUGH TO KEEP TRACK OF IT

gccs14r 4 years, 5 months ago

Umm, ID tag? Rabies tag? Microchip? Lucky you got her back. Lucky for her someone decent found her and she didn't end up as pitbull bait.

Blog entries