Archive for Thursday, November 12, 2009

Muslims troops deserve support

November 12, 2009

This outburst of vituperation from message boards and bloggers is, of course, traceable to Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, the Army psychiatrist and American Muslim accused of shooting 13 people dead and wounding 29 others in a rampage last week at Fort Hood, Texas. At this writing, we know next to nothing of why he did it.

Maybe he was a stone cold psychopath like Eric Harris who, with Dylan Klebold, shot up Columbine High in 1999.

Maybe he was deranged and delusional like Seung-Hui Cho, who killed 32 people and himself at Virginia Tech in 2007.

Maybe he was driven by a grudge against the federal government like Timothy McVeigh, who blew up a federal building in 1995.

Maybe he was a terrorist.

Predictably, it is the last possibility that has ignited outrage and condemnation from the usual speak-first, think-later types, employing the usual sweeping half truths and untruths to argue that Muslims are un-American and contribute nothing to this country.

One wonders what they would say, then, to Cpl. Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan, U.S. Army, Muslim, American, killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq.

Or to Spec. Rasheed Sahib, U.S. Army, Muslim, American, accidentally shot to death by a fellow soldier in Iraq. Or to Maj. James Ahearn, U.S. Army, Muslim, American, killed by a bomb in Iraq. Or to Cpt. Humayun Khan, U.S. Army, Muslim, American, killed when he approached a suicide bomber in Iraq.

Would they continue in loud ignorance? Or would they simply, finally, shut up? The latter is probably too much to hope: The majority is often eager to stamp the minority with the worst actions of its worst members. The minority is left to wonder why only its worst are judged emblematic, while its best are forgotten or ignored.

So it is for Muslims, now, sacrifices and service unremembered and unremarked.

If you study the list of recent American casualties, you find names redolent of every other place on Earth, names that smell of Scottish highlands and Korean marketplaces, Yemeni ports and Nigerian mosques, Russian steppes and Mexican farms. All of them choosing to make their lives here in the land of burger joints, rap music and amber waves of grain ... a land where, it is boasted, a man is not his past, a man is not his culture, a man is not his tribe. A man is a man.

It is an ideal never fully realized and yet, an ideal soldiers with names from every other place on Earth sign up every day to defend. That ought to tell you something. It ought to make you proud.

And it ought to leave you impatient with the shrill, intolerant voices who would have us believe Nidal Malik Hasan is every Muslim in America.

For what it’s worth, those same voices sang out when Japanese-American soldiers left internment camps to fight for freedom. And when African-American soldiers went abroad to defend democracy, then came home and were lynched still wearing their uniforms.

The story is told of a black woman who refused to salute the American flag and scorned her father, a veteran, because he did. Finally he explained: He did not stand to honor the nation as it was, but the nation as it could be if only it embraced its own ideals.

One suspects his reasoning would resonate today with the Muslim-American soldier walking his post in the wake of the shooting at Fort Hood. He stands up for his country.

Let us hope his country will do the same for him.

Comments

Marion Lynn 4 years, 5 months ago

oh wait

i forgot

Afghanstan has a lot of goats.

Is Barack Hussein Obama murdering our valiant warriors to protect goats?

Marion Lynn 4 years, 5 months ago

Afghanistan has:

Sand.

Opium.

Rocks.

Opium.

A little bit of wheat.

Opium.

Some oil but not worth it.

Opium.

Has "some people's" president become the most significant Narcotrafficante on the planet?

barrypenders 4 years, 5 months ago

Nice idea Mr. China,

Since money talks and BS walks. A god war sounds good to me. Let the strongest god win. My god has evolved more than their god. Any of you blokes care to dispute that?

Stimulus, evolution and Posercare lives

Darwin bless you all

Paul R Getto 4 years, 5 months ago

All military deserve respect and honor. Sadly, we stuck our hands into the Middle East's tarbaby. Now we are in the playground of the gods, where we see if 'my god can beat up your god.' Are we now like the ancient Greeks, who 'watched' their gods battle on the mountaintops? We need to move beyond these issues and get smarter quickly; otherwise we will all continue to watch the battles on our new Olympus.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

The man is a terrorist. Plain and simple. His computers and his posts show that.
The things he said to other officers show that. His ACTIONS show that. The mosque he used to attend has been linked before to terrorist thought But thank you Mr. Pitts for trying to make every other person feel guilty for knowing the truth. What a shmuck. The only reason he was not kicked out of the military before this happened, is because of officers with no back- bone who did not want to be dogged by the PC police that people like Mr. Pitts are so fond of and make their living this way.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 5 months ago

"A sampling from the Web: “Why are these Muslim invaders allowed to carry on freely in this country ... protected by outreach, Obama, and PC mental illness?” “Simply put, most Muslims in non-Islamic countries have an evil ax to grind and a scurrilous hidden agenda.” “Muslims should be deported from this country! They offer nothing to Americans!”

Marion writes:

And?

Perfectly legitmate questions, seems like to me?

The "agenda" is quite open, though.

vanguard3 4 years, 5 months ago

The site staff will definitely use that on other occasions. They know it was good.

vanguard3 4 years, 5 months ago

I thought I had worded my way out of that rather deftly.

vanguard3 4 years, 5 months ago

Barry, a bit late and hope that you'll forgive me, but happy Veterans Day to your and yer Pa. Thank you both for the service rendered to our Nation.

barrypenders 4 years, 5 months ago

I graduated high schrool in 77 and spent 4 years in the Army sir. My pappy was a jarhead and told me about BAM's.

Stimulus, evolution and Posercare lives

Darwin bless you

Agnostick 4 years, 5 months ago

Stormfront web site must be down today...

vanguard3 4 years, 5 months ago

Barry, BAM? There's a term I haven't heard since 1979.

barrypenders 4 years, 5 months ago

Some bam's can be so pretentious.

Stimulus, evolution and Posercare lives

Darwin bless you all

barrypenders 4 years, 5 months ago

50YearResident,

"I have never heard him claim to be currently a muslim. Where did you get this information?"

Sir, Nor will you. "hope and change"? With a name like Hussien is there any doubt? The Poser is doing his best to kill this country's individualism and authority for freedom. While Afghan females are abused, He can't make an authoritative decision on freedom issues in Afghanistan.

Evidently, nobody knew that the terrorist in Fort Hood was a mass murderer either.

Stimulus, evolution and Posercare lives

Darwin bless you

vanguard3 4 years, 5 months ago

p.s. I didn't even read the article. Punks like the author are just trying to stir people up for a buck.

vanguard3 4 years, 5 months ago

I really don't care what religion anyone is. I concern myself with the people who are being indoctrinated to overrun people like me. If they happen to be Muslims, based on professed belief, that ain't my call. I understand war and when someone says "I'm going to overwrite your culture because my religion tells me so", I take it that sort of thing purdy seriously. Only an idiot would think it's idle chatter.

You were in four years and you're talking $hit to me?

That having been said, thank you for your service, Devil Dog.

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 5 months ago

Troops need our support. Not muslims, not catholics, just troops. Some of you clowns are falling all over yourselves to accomodate muslims when they need to fit in or get the hell out.

If you want to single out muslims the headline should read: 'Muslim Troops Deserve Profiling'

denak 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't think you have a strategic view. I think you are the one with the myopic view. And I do think anyone who posts what you have posted is the one who is painting people with broad strokes.

Pitts wrote a piece about the sacrafice that our Muslim servicemen and women have made and what do you, and others post in response, a diatribe about Muslims overrunning France, Mexican illegals and other convenient scapegoats.

I would have a much easier time believing you were a 20 year vet if you ever would have said anything that was, in any way whatsoever, appreciative of the sacrafice that these soldiers made. Instead, I get a bunch of hooey on how the U.S. is being invaded.

It is the day after Veteran's Day. Did you honor all Veteran's or only those who are the correct religion?

Dena

P.S. Parris Island, South Carolina (1987) 29 Palms, California (1987) Camp Courtney, Okinawa Japan (1988) South Korea and Thailand (1988) Camp Pendleton, California (1989-1992) Port Jabayl Saudi Arabia (1990-1991)

vanguard3 4 years, 5 months ago

Dena, when were you in the Corps and at what duty stations? Perhaps we have common associates.

vanguard3 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, Dena, 20 yr and 13 day vet, but who's counting? Yup on combat and killing people. Had a lot of friends in the Marine Corps, too. Friends to this day.

Perhaps I tend to take a more strategic view. Not all people are bad. I had Muslim friends, people with whom I shared certain convictions, so no, broad strokes, I don't paint in them. Just that an overarching edict for Muslims is to overrun the infidel.

Again, check the Koran to see if I'm lying.

vanguard3 4 years, 5 months ago

Norml, a key connection in your very good point is allowing, legally or otherwise, immigrants to come into the country to populate the lower stratum of the work force. Oddly enough, the morons who subscribe to this point of view think the labor will be cheaper. Perhaps they're right in the short run, but again, myopic in the long run. Sooner or later, we're all going to pay through the nose.

When I say conservative, don't get all crazy on me. The fact is that most people who choose to conserve, to maintain what they have, are normally those who tend to have less children, because we don't want to have more than we can afford to take care of without government assistance. So, the people who pay their taxes and do not overburden federal and state governments are a shrinking breed. Now, this may be funny to the shortsighted, but eventually, the people driven to take care of him or herself,and others through their taxes, will die out. Then the Earth will return to a very dark tribal era, where only the strongest and most brutal survive.

That's a ray of sunshine, ain't it?

Despite her flaws, you ever think about how dark a world this would be without the United States of America? Enjoy her while you can, because we may just be a blip on the radar screen of human history. No one, not this many, have lived this well, for this long in the history of the world. We live in Disneyland compared to most other parts of the world.

denak 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes, it is so clear now, Vanguard, Cpl. Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan,Spec. Rasheed Sahib, Maj. James Ahearn and Cpt. Humayun Khan were all infiltrating the U.S. military with the ultimate goal of undermining it so that the Muslims could take over the U.S. Now that I think of it, they were probably working in conjunction with the two murdered Hispanic soldiers killed at Fort Hood. Obviously they, the Hispanic soldiers, were working towards the Reconquest of the U.S. It makes so much sense when you think about it, the Muslims and the "Illegals" must be working together. Why didn't I see it sooner.

Well thankfully, we have you in the military to protect us. Oh wait a minute, have you, Vanguard, served in the military? Have you ever been in combat? Have you ever put yourself in the line of fire to protect and defend our Constitution and our way of life.

I sure hope you have because if you haven't, who they hell do you think you are to denigrate and dismiss the sacrafice these individuals have made just because they were Muslims?

Dena

vanguard3 4 years, 5 months ago

Concur, Norml, but looking the other way, as the Feds have been doing for some time now, is allowing it, nonetheless.

Take a look at Mexican immigration laws. Imagine if I went there illegally, got a job, demanded that government offices have someone who can speak English for me, sought to use social services for me and my family and dared to raise the American flag over my house or a school. I'd be in jail, for a very long time. Are illegals bad people? Generally, no. Are they demanding these things that I mention above? No, they had help from myopic individuals here. Bottom line, though, is that if illegals had brought guns with them, we'd have called it an invasion.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 5 months ago

Vanguard.. now replace Muslim with Mexican and you could be talking about America. The difference is that France & Britain let their invasion in legally.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 5 months ago

BlessedSap (Anonymous) says…

Jesus sets an example; Christians strive to follow it, all fall short. What happens when you fall short of Mohammed’s example? Marry a 12 year old and only kill a few hundred of the infidel.

actually, the story of a man called Jesus, who most likely never really existed, sets your example. Most Christians do not strive to follow this example. Most use the label of Christianity to feel superior. Which is really ironic. Following Mohammed is no better because his teachings are nothing but the ramblings of a power hungry egotist.

Can you imagine; someone just making up a brand new religion out of the blue like that? Scientology, Mormonism, Islam, Christianity... What do you think of the Gods of Greek, Roman, Nordic? Mythology, of course. Once upon a time, people were small minded enough to believe that these Gods lived in the sky and controlled their world.

in old world religions and many 3rd world countries, it is/was perfectly acceptable to marry a girl as soon as she was old enough to procreate. This modern American Puritan view of young girls is a relatively new idea. I wonder if Imams molest boys at the same rate Catholic Priests do..

And to think that Christianity is any more pure in the history of killing fellow man or infidels is laughable. The only difference between Christianity and Islam is that Christianity has a few hundred years head start.

vanguard3 4 years, 5 months ago

By 2050, France is projected to be better than 50% Muslim. Muslim voters can and will, led by the imams, establish a state where Sharia is the law of the land. Then, those of you still left, will see what Muslims do with France, once they have the numerical superiority to impose their rules. Immigration in the U.S., left unchecked by the Federal Government under Bush and Obama, Clinton, too, will produce similar results in the U.S. It may take a bit longer than France, but it will occur if we do not address immigration as a national security issue.

Think I'm lying, check the news to see what France and Britain are dealing with every day.

Actually, it's a pretty slick plan. Rather than invade those countries, which Muslims cannot do for a number of fundamental organizational and military reasons, they instead will populate those countries through immigration and procreation with their own people. It's far more affordable to take over the infidel world this way, in fact, it's the only way Muslims could ever take over the world. It's also very easy to use the infidels liberal laws and welfare systems against them. Check the Koran to see if making the entire world into a Muslim-dominated world isn't what they're supposed to do. At least they're honest enough to admit it in the writings. Liberal societies are simply too ignorant to understand the threat.

And before anyone brings up the Crusades, two points. The last time I checked the Bible, it said nothing of conquering all others, whether men interpreted it that way or not. Number two, the Crusades pushed the Muslims out of Europe, a place they conquered and did not belong. El Cid taught them a bit in Spain, didn't he. The Crusades might be part of Muslim angst, though. You get your a$$ handed to you like that, butts kicked all the way back to beyond where you came from, that's gotta hurt.

denak 4 years, 5 months ago

"..I am sure I served with some who were Marines...."

Oops that should have read: "I am sure I served with some who were Muslims...."

denak 4 years, 5 months ago

I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps. The whole time I was in the service, I only met one person who was Muslim. I only met a few Catholics. A few Baptist. I don't remember meeting any athiest and maybe only one or two Jewish people. I can't tell you any specific numbers because when all was said and done, it did not matter what religion the Marine was. It only mattered what kind of Marine he or she was. It only mattered how well the Marine could shoot. How well the Marine could run. How well the Marine worked as a team.

I wonder how many of the people on this thread who are yelling for deportation, or to kick these men and women out of the military, I wonder how many of you have ever been in the military. You are so quick to deny people their basic human and Constitutional rights but how many of you ever put yourself in the line of fire.

We don't know why Hasan did what he did. At this point it is all conjecture but I do know that I met a lot of good people when I was in the Marines and their religion wasn't important. I am sure I served with some who were Marines. And I can tell you that they were better people then a lot of you on this thread who bitch and complain and yet, probably have never served a day in your whole life.

Dena USMC

Ray Parker 4 years, 5 months ago

Imam Anwar al-Awlaki (who once encouraged the 9/11 hijackers in their plot), via his Internet connection in Yemen (remember the U.S.S. Cole!), is presently encouraging Muslims in U.S. military ranks to follow in Ft. Hood jihadist Hasan’s footsteps, the way he apparently encouraged Hasan via email. Since neither the CIA nor the FBI nor military authorities are locking up or kicking out the dangerous, fanatic Muslim jihadists in U.S. military ranks, how will our troops know which Muslims can be trusted? Don't say wait for the investigation and screening, that will take months, if not years, and will probably be completely ineffective because political correctness has carved the guts out of our nation's leaders.

RKLOG 4 years, 5 months ago

“…outrage and condemnation from the usual speak-first, think-later types.”

Yup.

Satirical 4 years, 5 months ago

Bozo… “You lambaste Pitts for painting with too wide a brush by painting with an even wider one. Even a simple mind can tell you what that's called.”

How did I paint with too wide a brush? The tactics I listed are exactly the ones Pitts commonly uses, as do many who write op-ed columns (some go after liberals, some after conservatives). You keep repeating your same argument – that I was wrong, but have failed to show I was wrong.

Pitts uses the tactics I mentioned all the time, he just went extremely low this time. I mean seriously…he starts with a comment from an internet message board!?!? Then goes on to say “Would they continue in loud ignorance? Or would they simply, finally, shut up? The latter is probably too much to hope: The majority is often eager to stamp the minority with the worst actions of its worst members.” (Attributing this comment to the majority)

Are you seriously denying that Pitts is using the tactic I describe? If he is using the tactics, then I am right, and am not “painting with too wide a brush.”

BlessedSap 4 years, 5 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

"Compare and contrast this lifestyle with that of Jesus of Nazareth."

A lifestyle that a vast majority of so-called Christians don't even come close to leading.

bondmen 4 years, 5 months ago

Mohammad himself participated in the killing of thousands of his neighbors who refused to submit to his new religion so the sword was put to their throats. Mohammad murdered with his own hands. Mohammad took a 9 year old bride to be one of his wives. He set these examples for his followers by leading the way.

Compare and contrast this lifestyle with that of Jesus of Nazareth. He set the perfect example for any human being to follow knowing full well no other human being possibly could.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

Satirical 4 years, 5 months ago

bozo... "So, your post is wholly irrelevant to the thread, except as a vehicle for your own straw man"

Does it ever bother you that you ignore half my post to claim I am using a straw man? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

First, how is referencing the author "wholly irrelevant to the thread?"

Second, Pitts was referencing and did attribute his strawman arguments to "the majority." My comment was directly on point.

You must have really been offended when I said Pitts tactics only work well against the simple minded.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

"First, I said the listed tactics were a typical Pitts article. I didn’t say he followed exactly to form in this article."

So, your post is wholly irrelevant to the thread, except as a vehicle for your own straw man.

cont'd

“I cited a few passages in the old testament where God kills children and babies. In the end what it comes down to is that Daddaz was right, it is ridiculous.” SupertrampofKansas

First, 3 out of 4 of those were either visions or threats, and the only one were God killed babies did occur was with the Pharaoh for the purpose of freeing Jews from slavery. While I could argue the ends justify the means, much like the civil war, I will not do so.

Second, you may believe all religions are ridiculous and you are entitled to your beliefs; but daddax98 was wrong in claiming the threat from Christians is the same as that from Muslims, because contemporary Christians do not believe in slavery, etc, but many contemporary Muslims do believe in killing all non-believers. While I do not think this means there should be any sort of religious profiling for Muslims, I think comparing the threat of contemporary Christians to Muslims is a weak argument.

SupertrampofKansas…

“And your point is? What does this have to do anything? Are you saying I can't respond to BK because he responded to Daddaz?”

My point was that your implicit argument that BK brought up the topic of the Bible is wrong.

“So Bk comes up with an “explanation” to show how it was ok for the law to justify killing children.” - SupertrampofKansas

Try re-reading what he wrote (this time take off your bigoted glasses prior to reading). BK did not say it was ok for the law to justify any killing, he simply stated daddax98's reference to contemporary beliefs of Christians is inaccurate. He didn’t make any reference to whether the previous law and/or any killings were justified or not. If you think I am wrong, then quote his exact phrase where BK said it was ok for the law to justify killing children.

“Are you saying that my living in this country means that I support what they did? So in the same respect are you saying BK does not support what God did because he says they are part of the Law of Moses which was fulfilled and done away with at the coming of Jesus Christ?” SupertrampofKansas

I am saying that you like to make assumption and that BK did not state one way or another whether he supported what God allegedly did.

Your prior argument was about “condoning it and accepting it as part of your heritage.” (see your post at 8:15 a.m.) If condoning and accepting heritage is the argument, then you would be a hypocrite to demand someone reject something based on a “violent and murderous past”, but not do the same yourself. See the contradiction now? I await your retraction that you claimed you would be happy to make. But if you want to abandon that failed argument and take up the better argument I provided, just say so. (I will even let you save face and re-word it like you did above).

“Was I wrong? I don't know these are your words.” SupertrampofKansas

When I stated I would take up his mantle, I was referring to his argument and responding to the counter-argument against him. When I was commenting on religious history, and stating I don’t have to explain a belief I don’t hold; I was referencing the beliefs daddax98 claimed modern Christians held (stoning insolent children and keeping slaves).

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 5 months ago

Comrade:How did this topic get diverted from Muslim Troops Deserve Support to a theology argument between Shirley McClain and Robert Anton Wilson.

Comrade I must apologize to you for hijacking this thread. I could claim I didn't bring this up which seems to be an argument for something anyway. I will just shut up and fade into the background. My sincerest apologies Comrade Red Rooster.

musbhiorlo 4 years, 5 months ago

for the male muslim troops supply them with jock straps, for the female muslims troops give em bras.

tbaker 4 years, 5 months ago

Blessed Sap - If you believe all Muslims are Islamists by definition, you don't understand the religion.

That said, of all the world's major religions Islam is (by contemporary standards) one of the easiest belief systems there is to subvert. When a strident Islamist is given a largely illiterate population to deal with, it is exceedingly easy to radicalize them because Islam at it's core stands on the belief one must submit to God's authority, and be a servant to God. The other major religions are based on the idea man has a choice to make, and if so, be a servant to his fellow man.

Convincing a poor imbecile that his violent death would be a quantum improvement in the quality his life is unfortunately all too easy. Convincing an educated man like the Ft. Hood shooter is very disturbing but nonetheless shows how powerful the Kool Aid is.

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 5 months ago

"BK was responding to daddaz98 who brought the Bible into the discussion. Not the other way around."

• And your point is? What does this have to do anything? Are you saying I can't respond to BK because he responded to Daddaz?

"So if you explain something, you define that as making excuses?"

• So you are saying that I can't call it an excuse? It looks like an excuse to me. Maybe I should call it a justifcation? Either way, it did bother BK enough to offer some kind of explanation. So you want to call it an explanation, ok call lets call it that. So Bk comes up with an "explanation" to show how it was ok for the law to justify killing children. Feel better now?

"I know you refuse to answer that because you don’t want to contradict yourself and retract your statement."

What exactly do you want me to explain? Yeah I agree that my ancestor's did some bad things. Are you saying that my living in this country means that I support what they did? So in the same respect are you saying BK does not support what God did because he says they are part of the Law of Moses which was fulfilled and done away with at the coming of Jesus Christ? See it doesn't really work does it Satirical? What statements do you want me to retract? I will be happy to retract them if you can tell me what they are and why.

How am I suppose to know everything BK believes?

Ah you see I already explained this. You said If bkgarner doesn’t mind, I would like to take up his mantle for him… So I made the assumption that you believed as he did. But then you said "Why do I have to explain my religion’s history? It is what it is. I don’t have to explain a belief which I don’t hold." which I took to mean that you don't believe what BK said. Was I wrong? I don't know these are your words.

I'm not trying to dodge you satirical. You asked for proof of "evidence that X was ever a commandment in the Bible." I cited a few passages in the old testament where God kills children and babies. We could probably sit here all day and cite the heck out of the bible but I don't think this is going to get anywhere.

In the end what it comes down to is that Daddaz was right, it is ridiculous.

Agnostick 4 years, 5 months ago

"Meet the new boss ... same as the old boss!"

Old Boss: Cold War espionage between America and Soviet bloc nations, particularly U.S.S.R.

New Boss: Hot War espionage between America and terrorist groups based in Islamic nations, espcially Al Qaeda.

Of course there are Muslims in the army! They're also in the FBI, the CIA, the DHS, and other areas.

We... hired... them!!!!

Despite heavy recruitment, CIA still short on bilingual staff http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-04-19-language_N.htm?csp=34

'I need you,' CIA chief tells Arab and Muslim Americans in Dearborn http://detnews.com/article/20090917/POLITICS02/909170412/-I-need-you---CIA-chief-tells-Arab-and-Muslim-Americans-in-Dearborn

Those are just two examples.

We're hiring Muslims for their language skills, their understanding and awareness of Islamic nations and culture. Is this a bad thing? I don't think so--but we need to understand that as these things play out, we're going to have agents, double agents, and triple agents, just like we did in the days of James Bond, MI6, and SMERSH.

We may not have Americans shooting up mosques in Baghdad (yet), but I'll bet we're either trying to turn some terrorists into informers for us, or using some of our immigrant or native-born Muslims to infiltrate terrorist groups overseas.

If the NPR story is right, then this has very little to do with Muslims (and whether or not they should be working for our federal government), and everything to do with our command chain and the people in charge of oversight. They dropped the ball on this one.

--Ag

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 5 months ago

Satirical 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree with 75x55. The real issue is - when is it okay to be concerned and be vigilant to a possible Islamic Jihadist threat, without being called a bigot? Here is what I wrote yesterday:

"It is one thing to claim there are both foreign and domestic Islamic terrorists who are trying to destroy our country, and we need to be vigilant. It is another thing to say we should stereotype, profile, or fear all Muslims.

Those advocating the prior, sometimes come across (and are almost always portrayed by the Left) as advocating the latter.

The problem with the Left, is that they try advocating against the latter, and often go too far by advocating against the prior. (i.e. the media initially trying to downplay the facts when tend to indicate whether this act was politically or religiously motivated.)"

Pitts predictably did exactly what I said the Left would do and often does.

50YearResident 4 years, 5 months ago

Poster by berrypenders: The commander and chief is a muslim. Therefore, Pitts says to support him. No wonder the Poser will not make a military decision against the muslims way off yonder. I have never heard him claim to be currently a muslim. Where did you get this information?

Agnostick 4 years, 5 months ago

75x55 (Anonymous) says…

"Nothing requires a purge of muslim soldiers, but certainly when a soldier (who happens to be muslim) appears to be trip-trip-tripping down the jihadi trail - the command leadership should be able to react in a timely manner, rather than be paralyzed with fear that they'll be railroaded as bigots, and choose to pass the problem off to the next duty station to deal with."

I'm pretty sure 75x55 and NPR aren't in the same ballpark; however, I think I can say that 75x55 and NPR are traveling different roads... which lead to the same ballpark.

Walter Reed Officials Raised Concerns About Hasan

Portrait Emerges Of Hasan As Troubled Man

BlessedSap 4 years, 5 months ago

“ All Germans weren't Nazis in WWII, and all Muslims are not Islamists today.”

I believe all Muslims are Islamists by definition.

BlessedSap 4 years, 5 months ago

So those your deem intolerant should be deported? Perhaps we could crucify them.

Satirical 4 years, 5 months ago

Supertrampofkansas… “BK specifically named the bible and then proceeded to claim that he knew the bible. “

“He made excuses for some of the atrocities in it.”

So if you explain something, you define that as making excuses? Again, I reference how you would explain why you live in a country that allowed some of these same atrocities. If you do so, would you be making excuses or explaining? I know you refuse to answer that because you don’t want to contradict yourself and retract your statement.

“You said that you were taking up the mantle so I assumed that you believed as he believes.”

How am I suppose to know everything BK believes? I, as most Christians, understand how Jesus Christ fulfilled the law of Moses, which is why many of the rules/laws in the Old Testament no longer apply, such as changing the Sabbath day to Sunday.

“Apparently you don't because you just said you don't have this belief. So why did you take up this mantle if you don't share bk's belief?”

What belief did I say I didn’t have?

“(Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)” This was a vision Ezekiel had about the destruction of Israel, because Israel was being wicked. What’s your point?

“(Exodus 12:29-30 NLT)” So, the firstborn sons were killed because the Pharaoh enslaved the Jews. What’s your point?

“(Leviticus 26:21-22 NLT)” God threatens bad things if his commandments are disobeyed and promises good things if his commandments are kept. What else is new?

“(Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)” Isaiah is prophesying about the Second Coming of Jesus Christ and using Babylon as a metaphor for the world. What’s your point?

“Your arguments are strawmen.”

Which ones?

“BK was trying to show how the bible and or Christianity is different than Islam. He objected to equating these religions. He was responding to someone that said they were both nonsense”

Okay, and your argument is….? It’s like pulling teeth with you.

Are you going to answer any of my questions or keep dodging them? You clearly only want this to be a one-way conversation with you dodging all of my questions because you can’t defend your statements.

tbaker 4 years, 5 months ago

All Germans weren't Nazis in WWII, and all Muslims are not Islamists today.

Though we don't have a perfect record by any means, in America a person's native origins or religious identity has never been a basis to sanction wholesale discrimination against them. Our constitution says people are to be judged on their actions - not where they were born and what their religious beliefs might be.

Sorting people into ethnic and/or religious groups and then assigning value judgments based on that group identity is a repugnant form of tyranny.

Militant Islamic Extremists attack innocent people because they sincerely believe the political system they wish to see imposed on the entire world is superior to any other. Consequently, The Ft. Hood shooter's religious beliefs stopped being protected religious beliefs when he decided that the use of deadly force was necessary to fulfill his duties as a Muslim.

Depriving any other American of anything in the name of promoting one's religious beliefs is wholly incompatible with American culture. Those who feel it is necessary to do so should be identified and deported.

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 5 months ago

Satirical,

It is about the bible. It is about religion. That is the whole point Satirical. Your arguments are strawmen. BK was trying to show how the bible and or Christianity is different than Islam. He objected to equating these religions. He was responding to someone that said they were both nonsense.

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 5 months ago

Satirical,

BK specifically named the bible and then proceeded to claim that he knew the bible. He made excuses for some of the atrocities in it. You said that you were taking up the mantle so I assumed that you believed as he believes. Apparently you don't because you just said you don't have this belief. So why did you take up this mantle if you don't share bk's belief?

As far as anything being a commandment in the bible Satirical, I don't have to prove anything. It is there in the written word.

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

And at midnight the LORD killed all the firstborn sons in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn son of the captive in the dungeon. Even the firstborn of their livestock were killed. Pharaoh and his officials and all the people of Egypt woke up during the night, and loud wailing was heard throughout the land of Egypt. There was not a single house where someone had not died. (Exodus 12:29-30 NLT)

If even then you remain hostile toward me and refuse to obey, I will inflict you with seven more disasters for your sins. I will release wild animals that will kill your children and destroy your cattle, so your numbers will dwindle and your roads will be deserted. (Leviticus 26:21-22 NLT)

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

barrypenders 4 years, 5 months ago

Stimulus, evolution and Posercare lives

Darwin bless you all

Supertrampofkansas… “Sorry Charlie…”

I prefer ‘Chuck’ ; )

“Why would I have to explain my country's history. It is what it is. I don't have to explain a belief here.” - Supertrampofkansas

You live in a country which supported slavery, but no longer does. Do you have to explain why slavery was justified?

I believe in a religion, which you claim supported X, and no longer does (or never did). Do I have to explain why X was justified?

I know you want to distract from your country's history by talking about religion, but you can’t do it. How’s that albatross hanging?

“So what do you do? You marginalize it. You dismiss it. You make it relative because that is the past and now we are sooooo much better right Satirical?” - Supertrampofkansas

Let me help you with your argument because you are having problems (see above). Your argument shouldn’t be about the Bible or a religion; it should be about belief and following in a deity which commanded X. In other words it should go something like this: “How can you believe in and follow a deity who commanded X, as stated in the Bible, when you believe X is immoral (assuming you believe X is immoral)?”

If that is your argument, I need you to provide evidence that X was ever a commandment in the Bible.

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 5 months ago

Satirical,

Sorry charlie, you can't distract your way out this mess.

Apples and oranges friend.

Why would I have to explain my country's history. It is what it is. I don't have to explain a belief here. I suppose somewhere in my ancestory, I am related to a slave owner, or perhaps better yet a pharaoh.

Dang pharaohs. Gonna have to drown those suckers again aren't we satirical.

What's the albatross? You believe in a holy book that says the law of the land was to stone insolent children and keep slaves and murder entire towns and kill anyone who doesn't agree with you and death to just about every sin imaginable including eating shellfish and so on and so on.

vanguard3 4 years, 5 months ago

Must be tough being a Muslim in the Army of the Great Satan. A house divided against its self shall not stand, that being the Muslim in the U.S. Armed Forces, maybe even our Nation.

Satirical 4 years, 5 months ago

Supertrampofkansas… “Nothing like more attempts to marginalize eh satirical. Must be heck to have such an albatross hanging from your neck.”

I am not trying to “marginalize” you or your arguments anymore than you are attempting to “marginalize” me and my comments. To what albatross are you referring? The Bible?

“Again it is curious to watch people cringe about their religion's history and claim how that it was different back then.” - Supertrampofkansas

So, you aren’t going to answer my question about you “cringing about your (country’s) history and claim how that was different back then?”

“Must be nice to create those little compartments to explain away everything.” - Supertrampofkansas

You would know better than I.

“Let's find something else I can blame so I don't have to explain my religion or position” - Supertrampofkansas

What else did I blame? I think I have explained my position clearly. Seems like you are blaming religion so you don’t have to explain your country’s history or your position. How long to you want to keep dodging my questions?

75x55 4 years, 5 months ago

It's like watching fish flopping around on the dock, trying to slip-slide back into the water...

Bozo...

Second, he did allude to a political enemy – “the majority.” Given Pitts historical writings, his opinion is clear in regards to believing all minorities are constantly threatened by the majority. Additionally if you are intellectually honest and acknowledge this is also typically a theme used by liberals, it isn’t too difficult to conclude to whom Pitts is referring when he states “the majority.”

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 5 months ago

Ah more strawmen from Satirical.

Trying to divert attention are you Satirical?

Nice try Satirical. Again please!

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 5 months ago

Again it is curious to watch people cringe about their religion's history and claim how that it was different back then. I'm sure someone will pop up and say we cannot know God's purpose so we shouldn't question these things. Then turnaround and say but I know what God wants now. Must be nice to create those little compartments to explain away everything.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

"(2) Attribute such argument to conservatives (or another political enemy)."

Well, he didn't use the word "conservative" throughout the entire piece. Neither did he allude to any "political enemy."

Now who is throwing up straw men, satirical?

Satirical 4 years, 5 months ago

Supertrampofkansas…. “However it still remains that, in your own words, was the 'law of the land' meaning that you do condone it and accept it as part of your Christian heritage. How can you be part of a religion that has had such a violent and unrepentant murderous past?”

How can you be a citizen of a country which slaughtered native inhabitants of North America for land, included slavery in the Constitution and condoned it for years, and committed all other manner of other atrocities?

Satirical 4 years, 5 months ago

AreUNorml… “…is everything in the bible a metaphor, or are they factual historic events? “

First, I would like to say that I do not consider myself a Biblical scholar or an authoritative source on what the Bible IS. Since the Bible was written in a manner open to interpretation (as are most written documents…see the U.S. Constitution), I can tell you what I believe or understand to be accurate based on my limited studies.

To directly answer this question – Not everything in the Bible is a metaphor. Yes the Bible includes factual historic events which have been documented by secular historians.

“Or is it a mix? and if it is a mix, why wouldn't the author have identified which passages actually happened?” – AreUNorml

For the most part, I think one can tell after reading which ones are historical and which ones are not. Do you have a question as to a specific verse(s)?

Additionally, one must understand the Bible is a compilation of many books which has been translated numerous times over hundreds of years. Therefore any confusion based on historical/non-historical could be based on that process.

“…why would you live your life by a book that endorses rape, murder, incest and infanticide?” – AreUNorml

I do not believe the Bible endorses rape, murder, incest and infanticide anymore than I believe the U.S. still condones slavery (again referencing bkgarner's post about many laws which no longer apply).

Satirical 4 years, 5 months ago

Bozo… “why do they still include the Old Testament in the Bible?”

I couldn’t speak for all Christian denominations, but my guess is that they believe the Old Testament still has some historical, cultural or spiritual relevance. Simply because many Old Testament laws no longer apply doesn’t mean much cannot be learned.

Satirical 4 years, 5 months ago

If bkgarner doesn’t mind, I would like to take up his mantle for him…

Beobachter… “Christianity was founded based upon ignorance and bigotry. As are all religions.”

So, how does that unsubstantiated statement counter his argument?

75x55 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah! The full-blown looners have finally awakened from their long naps...

Good to see ya all back!

Typical Pitts article.

(1) Quote a strawman argument, which isn’t supported by the vast majority of conservatives.
(2) Attribute such argument to conservatives (or another political enemy). (3) Counter strawman argument. (4) Declare explicitly or implicitly that you have shown conservatives (or another political enemy) are ignorant and/or evil.

Repeat the above tactic if you wish to convince many simple minded people that conservatives (or another political enemy of Pitts) are ignorant and evil.

Machiavelli_mania 4 years, 5 months ago

And one more reason for losing respect for the armed forces, the Fundementalist Christian preoccupation in certain areas of our AF and so on: probably the same faction that flew unauthorized nukes across the country. Beware of gun- toting, nuke-selling uniformed Christians.

toe 4 years, 5 months ago

Muslims should be carefully watched when showing tendencies to kill others. Simple.

Machiavelli_mania 4 years, 5 months ago

I no longer respect our military services and those in it. I think I lost it when unauthorized nukes illegally and intentionally flew across the country, to be delivered to god knows where, and when the story of the year broke regarding Sibel Edmonds' deposition, relating that factions of our own government, in the military and outside of it, were illegally and under-the-table selling nukes to other countries.

I just say "Enough is enough! The armed forces no longer have my respect!" It is over. They are going to have to earn it back and it is going to be hard work to earn it.

verity 4 years, 5 months ago

Catholic Christians and Protestant Christians killing each other in Northern Ireland.

Serbian Christians killing Muslims in the Balkans.

Going back in time---American Christians killing Native Americans, some of whom were almost certainly Christian.

Southern Africa---the Dutch and the English Christians killing and subjugating the native people.

And then a little further back---Catholic Christians killing pretty much anybody who didn't agree with them. Catholic and Protestant Christians killing the Anabaptists and other sects that they deemed as heretical cults.

Just a little sample of what has been going on throughout recorded history. Other than a few non-violent groups, nobody has a monopoly on persecuting and/or killing other groups.

Why do we insist that every time a Muslim or any person from a group other than our own does something outside the human pale all of that group must denounce what the person has done? I don't assume that my Catholic Christian friends and acquaintances condone what has been going on in Northern Ireland unless they denounce it.

Bit of a double standard here, I'm thinking.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

You got your Christian Identity of full display this morning, BS.

I bet you have a Tim McVeigh bobble-head doll on your dashboard.

BlessedSap 4 years, 5 months ago

People like Pitts cause these actions by spreading PC fear. Shame on you Pitts.

mom_of_three 4 years, 5 months ago

I think this was a great article. You can't judge one group by the actions of person.

BlessedSap 4 years, 5 months ago

If the Muslims just went into finance like Jewish Americans this wouldn’t be an issue. Leave the fighting to the real Americans.

75x55 4 years, 5 months ago

"Actually Brent, Christianity was founded based upon ignorance and bigotry. As are all religions."

Lol - gotta love those authoritative statements, from people with no authority. Whatever.

Pitts, once again, recycles his usual 'intolerant bigot' schtick, this time plugging in 'muslim soldier' instead of the usual selection of minority qualifiers. Gotta hand it to him, he's found something that allows him to pull a check for basically phoning in the column 3/4 of the time.

How about focusing on the REAL problem, which is a military bureaucracy populated with a vast array of generals, that are nothing but back-stabbing political hacks working toward their next promotion and assignment, afraid to make a decision that might put their precious pensions and (more importantly) bloated egos at risk?

In light of the article's obvious message, what's wrong with you, Bozo, that you're clearly painting all Christians as 'McVeigh's? Did someone sprinkle a little holy water on your wheaties recently?

mom_of_three 4 years, 5 months ago

because Tom, you know more than our Commander-in-Chief and all those in charge who are investigating this incident? You know who he really was - how - the media? Maybe they haven't called it anything yet, because they want all the facts before they make any statements, and perhaps once the facts are known, they will tell us what he was. But to call it a coverup because you know what media wants to tell you, geez.
Or maybe they won't tell us what really happened, because through the years, our government hasn't told us everything. But you would just rail on the guys who are dems.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

What's your point, Tom? That "terrorism" is used in an ill-defined or inconsistent way? If so, I agree. If it's ever defined in a remotely rational way, then much of what the US military does every day would clearly have to be called "terrorism."

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 5 months ago

"It's the typical victimology: Bemoan the perpetrator's troubles and then sprinkle liberally with pop psychology."

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 5 months ago

bkgarner:"Obviously you do not understand the Bible."

Uh huh and you do right Mr. Christianity?

Brent, apparently you must have some sort of problem with some of the things mentioned by Daddax because you attempt to reduce its significance or dismiss it.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't know, did he? And another thing. What would the dynamic be if Hasan had strapped on a bomb full of ball bearings and killed and/or injured these people? How much 'speaking first, thinking later' would be going on? The idiots like Olbermann and the entire cabal of leftist so-called journalists are terrified to call this what it is-----so is our Commander in Chief.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

So Jesus told McVeigh to blow up the OKC building, Tom?

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 5 months ago

And never mind Hasan was screaming "Allahu Akbar"! while he was blowing away or attempting to blow away almost 50 people. Know what it means? If some nutty white Christian male with documented ties to white supremacists groups and a troubled past walked into an all black church waving a confederate flag in one hand and unloading a high-cap pistol with the other, there'd be no equivocating in the minds of those "speak-first, think-later types" like Pitts and the rest of the lamestream media. There is no difference between what Hasan did and my hypothetical scenario. The media reaction most certainly would be different. Tim McVeigh was immediately branded a 'domestic terrorist'. Obama was a "speak-first, think-later type" in the Cambridge debacle-----not now though? Notsamuch. He was cool about it at first, until his handlers told him what he had to come out with and still, Obama is afraid to call it what it is---just like the lamestream media.

jaywalker 4 years, 5 months ago

"If a non-Muslim military member was known to openly advocate for the KKK, or the Nazis, or the Skinheads, or any other supremecist group wouldn't the military leadership immediately do something about that person?”

"Unfortunately, they quite often don't"

Riiight. And you divined this how, exactly?

Stuart Evans 4 years, 5 months ago

bkgarner, is everything in the bible a metaphor, or are they factual historic events? Or is it a mix? and if it is a mix, why wouldn't the author have identified which passages actually happened? and why would you live your life by a book that endorses rape, murder, incest and infanticide?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

So, bk, why do they still include the Old Testament in the Bible?

beobachter 4 years, 5 months ago

Stuart Evans 4 years, 5 months ago

history in this country has shown time again that we do have religious freedom to do just about anything. When you become too radicalized, that freedom always goes away. David Karesh, Warren Jeffs, etc.

"There's a fine line between religion and cults. But they are exactly the same in my eyes." -me

Brent Garner 4 years, 5 months ago

daddax98: Obviously you do not understand the Bible. The passages you refer to come from the Old Testament and are considered to be part of the Law of Moses which law was fulfilled and done away with at the coming of Jesus Christ. Those passages, therefore, have nothing to do with Christianity so your unstated allegation that Christians believe in such is founded either upon ignorance or upon bigotry.

grammaddy 4 years, 5 months ago

We do have religious freedom in this country! Isn't that a part of the Constitution? Don't the soldiers fight (and die) to keep our freedoms?

daddax98 4 years, 5 months ago

"Shouldn't they also be asked if they plan to implement the Koran's holy directive to kill kaifers and infidels wherever they find them?"

Shouldn't they also be asked if they plan to implement the Bible's holy directive to stone insolent children and and keep slaves?

both statements are equally ridiculous.

BTW are there Muslims that DON'T believe in the Koran?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

"If a non-Muslim military member was known to openly advocate for the KKK, or the Nazis, or the Skinheads, or any other supremecist group wouldn't the military leadership immediately do something about that person?"

Unfortunately, they quite often don't.

That said, it would appear that too many of Hasan's supervisor's failed to react properly to a lot of rather "odd" behavior, much of which should have seen him removed from his job, if not the military, long ago.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 5 months ago

I can't recall the last time someone got in a fight over What Zeus Would Do.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 5 months ago

If we would all work together to curb all religion, then maybe some day our descendants can all get along.

Brent Garner 4 years, 5 months ago

If a non-Muslim military member was known to openly advocate for the KKK, or the Nazis, or the Skinheads, or any other supremecist group wouldn't the military leadership immediately do something about that person? Why, then, was such a blind eye turned to Maj Hasan who openly advocated jihad? Have we now become so PC that we cannot even recognize the threats among us even when they self-identify?

bondmen 4 years, 5 months ago

"Muslims troops deserve support" was apparently the attitude of those politically correct individuals who knew Major Nidal Malik Hasan including his suspicious but inactive superiors. It lead to the deaths of 13 innocent Americans and untold injuries to many others and deep mental anguish for defender's of your rights to make outlandish, foolish but heartfelt comments.

All other Muslim holy Koran believers in our US military should voluntarily renounce Major Hasan's assassination jihad and distance themselves from any murderous and hateful statements or ideas he wrote or expressed. Shouldn't they also be asked if they plan to implement the Koran's holy directive to kill kaifers and infidels wherever they find them? Oh, but the holy Koran allows lying as a way to cover up true intentions and beliefs. from the unbelievers Well then, just what should we do to make US safe?

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 5 months ago

There is no distinction between Catholic soldiers and Baptists, Mormons and athiests. Muslim create the distinction by forcing everyone to acknowledge their religion. They seek different treatment then wonder why they're treated differently.

The guy was a terrorist. Quit trying to make him out to be a victim.

RKLOG 4 years, 5 months ago

"...outrage and condemnation from the usual speak-first, think-later types."

Yup.

barrypenders 4 years, 5 months ago

"yearning to be free"? Have you been in the military?

Stimulus, evolution and Posercare lives

Darwin bless you all

grammaddy 4 years, 5 months ago

Thank you Mr. Pitts for always making us think. Whatever happened to "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free"...

barrypenders 4 years, 5 months ago

Call it "muslim rage". Pitts knows all about "black rage".

Stimulus, evolution and Posercare lives

Darwin bless you all

opposeobama 4 years, 5 months ago

"The story is told of a black woman who refused to salute the American flag and scorned her father, a veteran, because he did."

Was that woman Michelle Obama?