Archive for Thursday, November 12, 2009

Lou Dobbs resigns from CNN

November 12, 2009

— Lou Dobbs, whose anti-immigration stance roiled controversy, has exiled himself from CNN.

The longtime CNN anchor announced on his TV show Wednesday that he’s leaving the cable network he helped launch in 1980 and, save for a two-year stint with the Web site Space.com, has worked at ever since.

Wednesday’s edition of “Lou Dobbs Tonight” was Dobbs’ last at CNN. Although his contract was to run for a little more than two additional years, he told viewers CNN agreed to let him out of his contract.

Dobbs left open the possibility he might not be moving to another TV outlet but vowed to remain engaged in the issues he has championed over the years as he evolved from a traditionally neutral newscaster at CNN into an outspoken commentator who was often at odds with his bosses.

Comments

Maddy Griffin 7 years ago

I wish Glenn Beck had that much sense.

james bush 7 years ago

I guess CNN could not put up with Dobbs being critical of government under Obama.........but they did not seem to mind his criticism of Bush and his policies. Still none of the networks are in Obama's pocket more than NBC/MSNBC.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years ago

"I guess CNN could not put up with Dobbs being critical of government under Obama"

Cooky_the_Cook 7 years ago

People who use the word "meds" think that mental illness is a fashion statement.

rbwaa 7 years ago

"Why are the dems so upset that Fox might lean slightly right?"

thanks for the chuckle..."slightly right?"

headdoctor 7 years ago

Yup. Not a problem at Fox. Just what they need is more of this for all their intelligent viewers.

sfjayhawk 7 years ago

So fox is getting another old angry white guy? Shocker!

headdoctor 7 years ago

headdoctor (Anonymous) says… just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says… “I guess CNN could not put up with Dobbs being critical of government under Obama” No, I think that he couldn't stay on his meds was the real problem. But that won't be a problem at Fox.

And for those who missed it here is the link for Hannity's response. LMAO. Of course it was a mistake.....Because they were caught Red handed manipulating the story. If Fox was monitoring their own production and it was a legitimate error they would have issued an apology instead of waiting until they were caught by a comedian no less.

Satirical 7 years ago

I never liked Lou Dobbs.

I agree with jimincountry. I think it is more than a little odd that CNN had no problem when Dobbs was using advocacy journalism to oppose Bush, but suddenly has a problem when he uses it against ObamaCo.

MyName 7 years ago

Why are you people (aside from the one person speculating that he might land at Fox), trying to turn this into some sort of Fox News holy war? It's not what the story is about and it's not really very interesting as the network has been around enough that the majority of the 297.5 million Americans that don't watch Fox News have already made up their mind. And the same can be said for the 2.5 million that do.

headdoctor 7 years ago

Agnostick (Anonymous) says… One of Jon Stewart's better moments: “Yes, they are being accused! By the guy whose show was on right before you!” http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com… Agnostick

Yeah, I posted a link above with the same story along with Hannity"s apology and so far it has been ignored. I suppose it is just a little to real for some to come to grips with. Especially the Fox lovers.

Matt Warman 7 years ago

Lou Dobbs? Never heard of him. What is this CNN you all mention? The media blows like Pelosi. Fox rocks

Sulla 7 years ago

FOX doesn't like Dobbs' protectionist trade stance and he isn't a Christocrat, so my bet is that Lou is going to run for some political office in the near future or he's just going to retire and/or/or be a player in another news network...

beawolf 7 years ago

Tom,

The Rasmussen surveys exists solely to advance GOP talking points. Scott Rasmussen is a right wing, christian conservative who was actually paid by the RNC and the Bush re-election committee as a consultant. His automated telephone recording methods have been heavily criticized. Just to give you an idea on far off based they can be, they had Hoffman (NY House district 23) as a +17 favorite. Of course Owens (Dem) won by +4. As of today the Gallup poll shows Obama's approval at 53%. Not that I put much emphasis on any polls, at least the Gallup is reasonably impartial.

frank mcguinness 7 years ago

Hello My name is Nancy boy, I'll post articles from newsmax the most right wing website on the internet to back up my claims.

What an idiot.

somedude20 7 years ago

barrypenders (Anonymous) says… "It's too bad the grasshoppers shot at him. I wonder if it was a sniper? Stimulus, evolution and Posercare lives Darwin bless you all"

What the hell does that even mean? Do you have the best drugs in Lawrence or something or are you skitzophrenic?

MyName 7 years ago

@TomShewmon:

the Fox News “holy war” was started by Anita Dunn...

I call BS on that. People have been debating the relative merits and biases of Fox News since the early 2000s. Whether the current spat with the Obama is an extension of that is beside the point. Most Americans know enough to make up their mind by now, and if they don't, then they probably don't care about the news all that much.

MyName 7 years ago

And I think Lou Dobbs has stopped being a reporter or anchor and started becoming a professional op-ed type, which makes his show less of a good fit for a network that is trying to stay a hard news outfit.

Jimo 7 years ago

"The degree to which Fox may lean right doesn't even come close to the degree the other aforementioned media outlets lean left! "

Keep drinkin the kool-aid.

Jimo 7 years ago

The problem with Dobbs, who is a very smart man and who was instrumental with Ted Turner in getting CNN off the ground and revolutionizing cable tv, is that he's a liar.

On multiple topics, he's been drawn, quartered, pinned-down word-by-word and shown that he's speaking mistruth, and the guy's so stubborn that he'd refuse to accept what's embarrassingly obvious to the world.

(word to 'opposeobama')

MyName 7 years ago

Oh, now you're calling anyone who sees a network claiming to be "fair and balanced" in its ads and wonders if it is really that way or if that's marketing-speak a "far-left kook".

But hey, the 297.5 million Americans who don't watch Fox News on any given day are glad to know you're thinking of them.

jumpin_catfish 7 years ago

I think it was anti illegal immigration stance and CNN is not a hard news outfit. The Drudge report comes closer to being a hard news source then CNN.

gphawk89 7 years ago

My first thought when I read the title of the article was: "Who is Lou Dobbs?"

notajayhawk 7 years ago

tony88 (Anonymous) says…

"it's odd that some folks here are cheerleading a media outlet that blatantly lies to them, and has been repeatedly and definitively exposed as consistent liars. hilarious! evolve, people!"

Well, tony, luckily there aren't that many people (outside Lawrence) who watch MSNBC.

TopJayhawk 7 years ago

Shame on CNN for kow-towing to those with anit-democratic principles. Is this the kind of democratic principles liberals want? Get rid of all who do not agree with us.
Yes let's follow Obama's lead and try to crush all decent. Good for Lou for standing by his beliefs and principles when no one else around him apparently have any. This is a real black-eye for all "progressives." And again. Why is it that Fox's ratings are so high, and every other news agency is a bottom feeder? This is not democracy. It is more an attempt at mind control. You know, "I pledge allegiance to Barack Obama." Scary people, wake up..

beawolf 7 years ago

TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) says…

"Really beawoof? Rasmussen called last Novembers' election of The Messiah to the number. "...

So did my Grandmother. What's your point?

Ralph Reed 7 years ago

@Tom. You're name calling again. That's even below your usual standard rants. I would score your rants here, but I've not figured out how to include the East German judge's score. However, your posts here are below zero. A new low. Very well done.

Breaking news on Lou Dobbs. The US finally deported him.