Archive for Monday, November 9, 2009

White Owl’ held in jail in connection with protective order case

Local KU personality and campus presence White Owl was arrested for failure to appear in court. The avid KU fan is often seen on campus and at sporting events.

November 9, 2009

Jimmy Tucker, also known as White Owl.

Jimmy Tucker, also known as White Owl.

Students and staff at Kansas University may have noticed the recent absence of the white-bearded man who hangs out on Wescoe Beach to make noise and wave at people.

Jimmy Tucker, also known as White Owl, is being held in Douglas County Jail on $5,000 bond, on accusations of not showing up to court, jail records stated.

Tucker, 62, of Lawrence, was arrested Thursday after a warrant was issued for his arrest. He is accused of violating a protection order on Sept. 8, with his 23-year-old ex-fiancee listed as a witness.

Court documents say Tucker failed to show up for court Oct. 30, ahead of a Nov. 4 jury trial scheduled in the case, which was subsequently canceled. Tucker now has a hearing scheduled for Tuesday morning.

A second violation of a protection order case was filed against Tucker Oct. 16. An arraignment hearing in that case is scheduled for Nov. 19.

Tucker is a fanatic supporter of university sporting events and the frequent target for national TV cameras with his dances and tie-dyed shirts and socks.

In June 2008, Tucker was engaged to Julia Lee, a 2004 Lawrence High School graduate. Their plans for a public wedding were postponed a month after the engagement was announced and eventually were called off altogether.

Tucker was on diversion for a possession of marijuana charge at KU from September 2007, and is scheduled to be seen by a judge Jan. 28 regarding a violation of the terms, city prosecutors said.

He’s also scheduled on New Year’s Eve to appear in Lawrence Municipal Court for a theft case, in which he’s accused of stealing three books from KU’s Anschutz Library.

KU police said Tucker admitted to the $227 theft case, which reportedly occurred between February and August.

Comments

Sulla 5 years, 1 month ago

9070811 5 years, 1 month ago

well that's nice. Too bad this didn't happen during nice weather when we wanted to enjoy our lunches on wescoe beach.

sugarmagnolia 5 years, 1 month ago

way to air out all his dirty laundry, thanks for being respectful ljworld

fastwalker 5 years, 1 month ago

known of you know white owl. he has been through many hardships in his life, the like which none of you may ever know. it isn't my intention to excuse his unlawful behavior, he, like all of us, has made mistakes. but this is nonsense gossip news. this 'article' is a good example of how the yuppies that run the LJW are always on the lookout to exploit their fellow lawrencians. Jimmy is generally a positive guy that was exploited by this newspaper.

fastwalker 5 years, 1 month ago

go back to bed america. go back to bed lawrence. go back to bed YUPPIES. don't concern yourself with real issues. relax yourselves on the cushion of gossipy, exploitative nonsense that takes full advantage of a kind man's weaknesses.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 1 month ago

I remember the story they had about the girl and the old fart, soul mates I think they thought they were. Yeah, I'd be a soulmate to a gal 40 years my junior. For as long as she would let me.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

"known of you know white owl. he has been through many hardships in his life, the like which none of you may ever know"

Yep, and his regressive behaviors stem from those hardships. He lacks self-control. He needs to grow past his hardships. Like I said: its time to grow up.

fastwalker 5 years, 1 month ago

oldenuf: are you a professional? do you know WO? who are you to make such precise judgments?

nekansan 5 years, 1 month ago

When the guy twice violates a protective order, then refuses to show up for court he can certainly be considered to be a threat. Court's do not issue protective orders without reasonable evidence. Then this guys goes and violates that order not once, but twice. So the LJW is hardly slamming him, he did this to himself.

As I remember when his "engagement" was announced they ran what was essentially a puff piece. Hardly seems like the "yuppies that run the LJW" were out to get him then.

1029 5 years, 1 month ago

No wonder KU has lost 4 in a row.

Funny, I had forgotten all about this guy and just thought of him the other day when I was reading an article about the football season going down the tubes.

Maybe he could be allowed to attend the upcoming game against Nebraska? (wearing shackles and accompanied by some police officers, of course) It might help us win.

fastwalker 5 years, 1 month ago

pywacket: how is it any of your business?

"i've seen a few may-december relationships..." wow, so that gives you the ability to make 'factual' statements about people you don't know and have never met? is everyone in lawrence an expert-specialist ready to put their two-cents in on anything and everything? i think it's more likely that you people are masking your own insecurities by trolling hardcore on one of the crappiest news sites on the net.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 1 month ago

" i don't give a hoot about michael phelps' athletic abilities. he is a mutant engineered by the united states designed to dominate the olympics. that's cheating, and he is more dolphin than human, so maybe he should not be qualified to compete." Quote by Fastwalker. People who live in glass houses.....Fastwalker?

Hills_KU2007 5 years, 1 month ago

I for one am glad he's not all over the frickin' TV screen anymore during KU football games anymore.

Sulla 5 years, 1 month ago

mickeyrat 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey folks:

A request for clarification (as my brain doesn't always work at 100% capacity): when the article says, "accused of violating a protection order on Sept. 8, with his 23-year-old ex-fiancee listed as a witness," does that mean (a) he violated a protective order obtained by the 'witness,' (i.e., Ms. Lee) or (b) the violation was 'witnessed' or observed by the young lady?

Could be English, could be Legalese. Help?

Sulla 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm with fastwalker about pywacket..sounds like some know-it-all prig to me...turn White Owl loose and put that one freakazoid who walks around town flashing peace signs in his place, I say.

boothillbilly 5 years, 1 month ago

fastwalker and sulla, get with it. Of course what the world needs are more bearded, book-stealing, ignorant, pied piper jack@**es shouting "WAKE UP, KU!" as students are trying to receive an education (or, in White Owl terms, being woken up). The only reason this guy is popular is because he presents an alternate vision of adulthood/the fulfillment of trust-fund hippie dreams of never working an honest day for honest pay. But he is finally exposed for what he is: a dirty old man.

Tony Kisner 5 years, 1 month ago

Property is a crime man. Let the Owl fly free!

hbjayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

This guy is hilarious! He is chill and harmless . . . let him free.

yankeevet 5 years, 1 month ago

He's an old hippie and he don't know what to do Should he hang on to the old Should he grab on to the new He's an old hippie...his new life is just a bust He ain't trying to change nobody He's just trying real hard to adjust

He was sure back in the sixties that everyone was hip Then they sent him off to Vietnam on his senior trip And they forced him to become a man while he was still a boy And in each wave of tragedy he waited for the joy Now this world may change around him But he just can't change no more

skinny 5 years, 1 month ago

It's about time the LJWorld started printing the local news on arrests ect.....

Good job LJWorld!!

Alabamastreet 5 years, 1 month ago

Two things: 1. I've met the young woman. She seems like a very kind a a positive person to have in our community. She deserves better than some have treated her in this discussion. So if she's reading, just know there are many of us out here who support you and know you have a good heart. Hang in there. You have people who care about you.

1. The White Owl made himself a public figure. It was his choice. Just like basketball players choose to make themselves public figures. When they mess up, they get more attention than others in the community. It is just part of the deal of being in public.

TheYetiSpeaks 5 years, 1 month ago

Man...If those two crazy kids can't make it work, what hope is there for the rest of us?

workinghard 5 years, 1 month ago

He violated a protection order, I think that means that someone felt threatened by him enough to get legal protection. Doesn't that mean he was considered a danger or at least a nuisance to someone? It certainly doesn't mean he is a harmless old man.

kusp8 5 years, 1 month ago

He once told me he did coke with Morrison.

pfunk81 5 years, 1 month ago

He told me he played against Gayle Sayers in high school football in Wichita. Too bad Sayers is from Omaha! Also, Kobe Bryant sent him an Ipod and HD Tv.

ohgeeze 5 years, 1 month ago

No. He is not an innocent "old hippie". He is creepy. He is weird. He has no sense of personal space. He thinks because he has entered the room he should be the center of attention and everyone should listen to what he has to say. He draws a negative type of attention.

The last time I encountered him he stalked my friend and I through the Jazzhaus. Even after we tried to politely excuse ourselves from the "conversation" (I use that term lightly because he just came up and butted in and started talking over us). He then proceeded to follow us out to the dance floor. That was too much. My friend and I had just spent a 6 dollar cover to listen to a wonderful band....spent 30 minutes there, and then because of him decided to go home. The incredibly uncomfortable feeling he gave off made my skin crawl. Do NOT make him something that he isn't. He is an old man who has no business talking to young ladies like that.

mdrndgtl 5 years, 1 month ago

White Owl? I've been calling the guy Jesus...

sheshapes 5 years, 1 month ago

Weird. Not long ago I was telling some folks how completely annoyed I was when he walked into a cafe on campus and made himself the center of attention. Nobody should talk that loud in a cafe.

greenworld 5 years, 1 month ago

Someone bail him out or we will lose to Nebraska this Sat, he is for sure KU's goodluck charm. We have won to many games to not have him in the stadium performing his old voodoo magic on the other team.

misseve 5 years, 1 month ago

He is a neighbor of mine and when I say neighbor, i mean when the cops are there I have the unfortunate view of all the of the hoopla that surrounds the visits. He has been at most times a "good" neighbor BUT I have seen him act horrible to his former fiancee, I have seen him be rude to the cops, and to the people on my street. I have no respect for the LJWorld for the way they write and pick and choose to criminalize or not criminalize people in the press but this man is not to be treated like he is victimized in the press either.

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

man, someone had to air out his dirty laundry.

thatonedude 5 years, 1 month ago

WO was an amusing novelty to me a few years ago, but he's just grown obnoxious. He's an incredible pervert, and has a bad habit of sharing his "stories" and awful jokes with people who didn't ask for them.

kujayhawk08 5 years, 1 month ago

White Owl is an annoying POS. He is a disgrace to the University. And apparently, he likes to steal from the university as well. He is nothing but a nuisance, and should be banned from campus. You people complimenting him probably are not students who are attending KU. If you see him on campus, you would realize what I am coming from. Lock him up for life or give him the injection.

sheshapes 5 years, 1 month ago

Sweet Dr. Seuss, the guy is annoying but surely doesn't deserve a lethal injection. Some of you all are just seriously mean.

I mean, common - KU administration and students knew this guy was a little "off" and enabled him for some reason or another to suit their purposes. They should by no means throw throw him to the wolves now!

BigPrune 5 years, 1 month ago

Should some mental defect set up a "Free White Cloud" defense committee?

BigPrune 5 years, 1 month ago

"White Cloud" is toilet paper..........a joke, please continue.

truckfan 5 years, 1 month ago

maybe he wont get out in time to crash my tailgate party for the umpteenth time.......

bigdave 5 years, 1 month ago

White Cloud is a town here in KS to :)

tanaumaga 5 years, 1 month ago

poppygirl 5 years, 1 month ago

has this geezer ever held a full time job or just been a full time student all his life ?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

"The only reason this guy is popular is because he presents an alternate vision of adulthood"

Exactly. I don't need to "know" him. He wears all the signs of immaturity on his sleeves.

And, I'm not criticizing him. Rather, I feel sorry for him. Pursuing "girls" and living out of control is not what you do once you are grown up.

ldawg 5 years, 1 month ago

damnitimpissed 5 years, 1 month ago

I liked having white owl around for one reason; to watch him irritate yuppies (like the ones on this discussion) and insult their rules of decorum. Made my day; thanks old man!

BigPrune 5 years, 1 month ago

He looks like a Reggae Santa Claus

"Me and my girl, we got this relationship. I love her so bad but she treats me like a sh...... On lock down like a penitentiary She speads her lovin' all over and when she get home there's none left for me"

Is this the issue?

Maracas 5 years, 1 month ago

"Court's do not issue protective orders without reasonable evidence."

Yes, the do. The initial temporary order is signed based solely on the written plea of the person making the request, so long as it falls under the statutory requirements. The other party has no say so and is not even consulted until the permanent hearing. Then, the matter is set for hearing to determine whether a permanent (one year) order will be issued. If the defendant doesn't show up the plaintiff gets what he or she wants. Violation of the order, whether permanent or temporary, can be a problem.

The current protective order legislation is horridly broken. Someone can have a protective order issued against them without having done anything at all, or even being able to testify, and it stays with them forever as an abuse or stalking case. It really needs to be fixed.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

"I liked having white owl around for one reason; to watch him irritate yuppies (like the ones on this discussion) and insult their rules of decorum."

Issues like domestic violence and disregard for others do NOT simply represent an "alternative decorum". He doesn't get thrown in jail (on multiple occasions) for breaking the city's irritating-old-man ordinances. You've read first hand accounts on this message board - even from victims - yet you still don't see how sad it is that he's lived over 60 years but still cannot show a woman simple respect?

damnitimpissed 5 years, 1 month ago

His issues with his partners are none of my business; I just like watching him annoy people. I would like to see him make you flip out

bearded_gnome 5 years, 1 month ago

Maracas is right. and protection from abuse orders are rather common in divorce filings.

however, I'm leaning toward Julia Lee as the person who felt real threat/danger/suffered abuse. it isn't pleasant to go through giving such evidence.

White Owl is a compound idiot! if he'd toed the line, he'd have married a nice young lady and they'd maybe had a good life together.

he throws that away by treating her so. dumbth!

what I am coming from. Lock him up for life or give him the injection.

injection? you mean death penalty? you need to look into your own soul...he hasn't done anything deserving of the death penalty that we know of.

I've been through a lot of crap in my life too. so, that's a totally lame excuse for him breaking the law and scaring or hurting Julia Lee.

and ... what were those science library books he stole? books on psychopharm?
hmmm.

sheshapes 5 years, 1 month ago

Why does everyone assume that the protective order was filed by the ex fiance? Doesn't the story only say she was filed as a witness to the violation? Is there any evidence at all that he was abusive toward his ex fiance, or is that an assumption based on this story?

It could be, due to the troubles that he's encountered on campus, campus administration filed for a protective order to keep him from annoying students. I've heard there have been a lot of complaints lately coming from students (constantly injecting himself into conversations where he was not wanted, following students around when they were trying to escape his shenanigans, yelling and engaging in his usual drama, etc.) And then there's the whole library book thing...

The guy doesn't bother me. Except when he insists on telling his fantastic stories really really loudly at Milton's and I'm trying to get some work done. Seriously, those stories aren't really all that great and they don't make me think, "Wow, that White Owl dude is cool! I must meet him so that I may drink from from the fount of his unconventional wisdom!" They make me think, "I wish he would just STFU before I have to resort to wishing bad things on him."