City commissioners will consider annexing and rezoning a longtime vacant piece of ground near the “Kasold Curve” in southwest Lawrence.
Commissioners are being asked to annex 34 acres of farm ground southeast of 31st and Kasold Drive. Commissioners also are being asked to rezone the property from agricultural to a mix of multi-family and open space zoning. Lawrence Wesleyan Church is seeking the rezoning to accommodate plans for a new church on the site and a possible duplex development that also could be built on the property. Leaders of the church previously have said they are seeking property to build a larger church to replace their current building at 3705 Clinton Parkway, which is the building that formerly housed the district offices for Lawrence public schools.
• Proclaim the week of Nov. 16-20 as U.S. International Education Week.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from 10/06/09.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
• Approve all claims. The list of approved claims will be posted to the agenda the day after the City Commission meeting.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the Department of Administrative Services.
• Bid and purchase items:
a.) Waive bidding requirements and award printing services for the Parks & Recreation 2010 Winter/Spring Activities Guide with the Lawrence Journal-World, for $17,000.
• Accept dedication of easements and rights of way for PP-6-3-09, a two-lot multi-family Preliminary Plat on approximately 7.71 acres for Park Place Addition at 510-544 Fireside Drive. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects, for Ernest Fleischer, property owner of record.
• Approve Rezoning Z-8-12-09, to rezone approximately .189 acres at 504 Locust St. from IG (General Industrial) to CS (Strip Commercial). Submitted by Paul Werner Architects, for Michael J. Nunez, property owner of record.
• Approve Rezoning Z-8-13-09, to rezone approximately .063 acres at 500-500 1/2 Locust Street from IG (General Industrial) to CS (Strip Commercial). Submitted by Paul Werner Architects for Sunrea Properties LLC, property owner of record.
• Authorize acceptance of a donation of Tract D, Block Two, Hanscom-Tappan Addition for the Burroughs Creek Trail Linear Park from Parnell Investors, LLC.
• Authorize staff to advertise a request for proposals RFP R09020 for engineering services for project UT0909DS concrete watermain assessment.
• Authorize staff to advertise a request for proposals for engineering design services for the North Final Electrical and KAW Well Field Electrical Improvements.
• Receive Public Works staff memorandum acknowledging department applications for 2010 Community Development Block Grant.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Receive request from Lawrence-Douglas County Bioscience Authority to have the city and Douglas County cooperate in the acquisition of the West Lawrence Laboratories building, 4950 Research Parkway.
• Consider setting bid date of Dec. 15 for Project No. PW0913 (City Bid No. B09068), New York Street, 9th Street to 12th Street, brick street reconstruction.
• Consider setting bid date of Dec. 15 for Project No. PW0914 (City Bid No. B09069), Clinton Parkway Shared-Use Path, from Clinton Dam Road (E. 900 Road) to just East of Adam Avenue.
• Consider the following items for Wesleyan Church, southeast of 31st and Kasold Drive. Submitted by Dean Grob, for Chester B. Spray Trust, property owner of record and Wesleyan Church, contract purchaser:
a.) Consider annexation request (A-8-3-09) of approximately 34.38 acres and adjacent right-of-way for Wesleyan Church Development. Consider annexation agreement as condition of annexation.
b.) Consider rezoning request (Z-8-14-09) of approximately 30.14 acres from A (Agricultural) to RM12 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) for Wesleyan Church Development.
c.) Consider rezoning request (Z-8-15-09) of approximately 4.24 acres from A (Agricultural) and V-C (Valley Channel) to OS (Open Space) for Wesleyan Church Development.
d.) Consider rezoning request (Z-8-16-09) of approximately 10.24 acres from RM12 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) and OS (Open Space) to the Floodplain Overlay District for Wesleyan Church Development.