Archive for Friday, May 22, 2009

Duplex catches fire; residents uninjured

Firefighters douse a fire at 3302 Glacier Drive on Friday, May 22, 2009.

Firefighters douse a fire at 3302 Glacier Drive on Friday, May 22, 2009.

May 22, 2009, 3:19 p.m. Updated May 22, 2009, 9:48 p.m.

Duplex catches fire; residents uninjured

Residents of a Southwest Lawrence duplex made it out OK after their home caught fire Friday afternoon. Enlarge video

Residents of a duplex in southwest Lawrence escaped uninjured after their home caught fire Friday afternoon.

Firefighters with Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical were called to the duplex in the 3300 block of Glacier Drive around 3 p.m.

Division Chief Doug Green said the first firefighters on the scene saw flames shooting from the back of the house.

A second alarm was called to bring in additional manpower to fight the blaze.

“Due to the weather, it’s starting to warm up, and obviously in this type of environment the guys are encapsulated in their gear, so just to reduce their heat stress,” Green said.

Green said the fire is believed to have started in the kitchen.

An investigator remained on the scene late Friday afternoon, still trying to determine what caused the fire.

Comments

eotw33 5 years, 10 months ago

does ljworld ever go out to get pictures of news stories? This was posted over an hour ago, it only takes 10 minutes to get anywhere in Lawrence

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 10 months ago

eotw-

There will be pictures and video, but we can't just take a picture and leave. What if another photo needs to be taken?

You should see photos by 6:30 p.m.

eotw33 5 years, 10 months ago

jkealing thanks, I figured maybe you had ways to upload them from the scene.

nbaker 5 years, 10 months ago

eotw, if your so worried about the pics get in your car and drive over there and see it live...And it does not take 10 mins to go anywhere in lawrence...considering lawrence has no crossing highways but I-70 oh and k-10 u have no choice but to go throw town to get where u are going!!!! Thats another reason why i moved the hell out of lawrence...LAWRENCE PEOPLE R STUPID WHEN IT COMES TO DRIVING!!!

nbaker 5 years, 10 months ago

eotw, if your so worried about the pics get in your car and drive over there and see it live...And it does not take 10 mins to go anywhere in lawrence...considering lawrence has no crossing highways but I-70 oh and k-10 u have no choice but to drive in town to get where u are going!!!! Thats another reason why i moved the hell out of lawrence...LAWRENCE PEOPLE R STUPID WHEN IT COMES TO DRIVING!!!

ladymay 5 years, 10 months ago

Actually, Johnson County people are the drivers to steer clear of.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

if your so worried about the pics get in your car and drive over there and see it live…And it does not take 10 mins to go anywhere in lawrence…considering

gawkers should all be shot on sight! they're a plague.

I remember all the stupid-@$$ gawkers after the microburst! clogging streets, driving extra slow, taking pictures of everything. I mean everything.

booze_buds_03 5 years, 10 months ago

God forbid people left their homes to see the microburst destruction. All the havoc that ensued from the "gawkers" is still being felt to this day.

SouthernBelle 5 years, 10 months ago

my goodness. Could you people be any pissier?

somebodynew 5 years, 10 months ago

Well, I for one am all AGAINST gawkers. Try being one of the people who have to respond and assist people and can't get through because of all the "gawkers" who want to get out to "see the world" while people are suffering and emergency services are trying to do their job, only to be forced to deal with a bunch of NOSY people who have no interest in helping they just want to "see the world".

If you aren't there to solve the problem, you are PART of the problem, and I agree with bearded_gnome (did I really say that?). Stay home and stay out of the d*mn way.

thinkagain 5 years, 10 months ago

As a resident of Glacier "Drive," I am offended by the half an air quote in the article. Six News spent a lot of time hanging around. There should be hours of footage. Shout-out to the emergency and fire crews that came. They appeared to do a fine job.

PatKirk 5 years, 10 months ago

For those who complain about slow news days--stories aren't big enough for them--I'm grateful. It means no one died in a car accident, no one went to a park and started shooting. Be happy when the top story is a school child skipping rope (for example).

PatKirk 5 years, 10 months ago

For those who complain about slow news days--stories aren't big enough for them--I'm grateful. It means no one died in a car accident, no one went to a park and started shooting. Or we will not be blown away by a Tornado today. Be happy when the top story is a school child skipping rope (for example). They can't just make it up you know.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

PatKirk, thank you, well said!

it is excellent that the people from this duplex didn't wind up on the front page, riding in an ambulance, being flown to a burn center, risking death, all just for some vulture's entertainment.

yes, Somebodynew, you did agree with me, and it isn't the first time!

yes, gawkers get in the way, create noise. plus, if you're dealing with downed trees, busted up houses, personal belongings spilled out, or other effects of the storm, you want these idiots driving by? really? I think not.
was walking my dog in the midst of downed trees after the microburst and some of the d----d gawkers were taking pictures of us doing that! really.

somebodynew 5 years, 10 months ago

Tumbilweed - you are obviously possessed with a superior intellect. For the life of me, I just cannot figure out how I am a hypocrite for doing exactly what I am telling people to do.

I am not out at the scene adding to the problem and getting in the way, or drooling over someone's misfortunes. I know there is nothing I can do there that would be helpful, so I am staying home in front of my computer (as you must be too) and letting the emergency services folks do their job without interference.

I must need more coffee to be able to understand your comment.

thinkagain 5 years, 10 months ago

I didn't say it was front page news or deserved any prime time coverage. I said LJW only had one air quote on "Drive," that news crew spent a lot of time filming so there should be a lot of footage and that the emergency crews did a good job. And you?

somebodynew 5 years, 10 months ago

OK, a matter of interpretation between us. While I am not solving any problems relating to apartment fires, I was trying to solve a problem relating to gawkers. Trying to put some sense in people's heads not to become one - thereby solving the problem they create.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

whoa Somebodynew, I think it would take LSD instead of coffee to make sense of Tumbil's comment.
you're not clogging the streets, you're making comments encouraging responsible behavior. Tumbil is taking your comment and purposely taking it out of context. "you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" is obviously in context ref to people on the scene. commenting from your computer, you ain't on the scene.

Tumbil is apparently in troll mode this morning, things just weren't satisfying last night so he/she/it has the grumpy shirt on this morning.

Gnome—you should've urged your pooch to lay down a nice big newsworthy “event” that would've given the gawkers something they could look at again and again.

ROTFL! Py, that was great, sadly at that time my dog only did number one!

somebodynew 5 years, 10 months ago

Well tumbil, since gnome and I must not have your super powers to be able to leave the house and travel around to keep track of all that goes on in the world, I guess following news stories is about all we can do.

At least we don't show up and add to the problems.